Please STOP trying to think for me.

+
I'm trying to parkour around the city and a fixer calls me. My double jump fails and I fall.
I'm driving up to a mission marker and there is an NPC that YOU need to not die. My car stalls and I need to walk the rest of the way.
I'm in a safe area and ... can't jump?

I may be in the minority here but every SINGLE time the game changes or interferes with my ability to control my character... I have to walk away from the game.
It is literally INFURIATING!
It is unnecessary interference in my ability to play the game.

Suggestions:
Get out of the way!
Don't change the way the player character responds unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.
I keep trying to enjoy this game and THIS is the shit that has me walking away from it over and over and over again.
Just stop! Let me think for myself and, if you need to keep an NPC alive... just make them unkillable! Don't change the way the character or my vehicle behaves. That's disgusting.

Anyway, I know you folks have been having a rough time of it. I really do wish you the best and hope you manage to turn this game around.
Cheers and carry on.

I mostly agree with you. I mean I got complaints sometimes in my combat mods that the player would lower down their shield when they got affected by a successful feint from their opponent. Or that the player would stumble around after some types of attacks or from a lack of stamina. That kind of bla bla bla just makes me shake my head and roll my eyes. my response to that was always "No, in fact the player cannot be in control of their actor 100%." Shit happens.

And you have to remember you are playing a character but depending on the game the character has their own mind, the player only serves as the creative problem solver. If the character skill means they would drop their shield because they thought the attack was a leg shot then it matters not that the player is an
expert Kendo practitioner the game character is fooled and moves the shield down.

Personally I do prefer more player skill over character skill combat however. That is why I always turn off aim assist in FPS. However when I play Oblivion or Skyrim my character skill is responsible for not falling for feints (per my mods) because such skills are a part of the game not your personal reflex.

I agree with you that it feels wrong for the game to lower your weapon when you aim at protect NPCs. Forcing the actor into actions that should be instead a non-reflex choice to avoid consequences feels very wrong. But sometimes it is necessary because it is a game. I hate that I cannot jump in some areas because they do not want me hopping out of the pre predetermined arena, but I find that better than using an invisible wall to keep me in the area they want me to stay in. And I hate pouring bullets into an actor but they just get back up and say HA(!) you need me latter for a quest!

I applaud CDPR for trying new ways to prevent the player from derailing the cho cho rather than the old and hated ways already done in the past. It is just too bad that more believable ways to design these games have not been invented yet.

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed that as well.

Might also sometimes be a partial safeguard against exploit attempts. You can 100 percent guarantee that if something can be glitched out for any slight advantage or even just for laughs, the YouTube guys will find it, and they'll share it, and next thing you know a feature gets disabled until the patch is released etc

I remember one time a brand new game came out, about 2 hours later some dude had posted a video - he'd spent the first afternoon of the game looking for exploits. Just mindlessly trying stuff and repeating potential glitches in case he hit on something.
For most people those first few hours of a new game are rather a special moment to be enjoyed. But not this fella.... :)

But yeah, sorry - got sidetracked hehe.

What was I saying? Yeah, every now and then something annoying like that happens in a game and I realise it could easily be deliberately done so people don't cause the game to have a breakdown - like nudging the boss onto a ledge before it gets where its supposed to be, or slipping under the floor graphic and becoming immortal forever, or figuring out that clicking pause while interacting with a vendor will duplicate your items. :D

I guess developers have to be vigilant these days,.. The phrase "there's always one" is probably a mantra for them.

Yeah the non-hability to manage your phone calls and therefore have free hand on your character is really annoying, yep.
Unless you are following the character speaking during dialogues, you're free of taking your own path and pace, this phone call thing looks like the easiest and most unimmersive solution.

Last edited:
I agree with phone calls - I like a system that some people will call you at their convenience - not ours - but there should be an option to not pick up the phone and call back later.

Few times I was annoyed with safe areas. I understand concept but they should be very limited - sometimes radius is way too large.

So for me its something which could be improved a bit, but it never destroyed my pleasure of playing so not a high priority for me...

Love the feedback, guys, and the conversation.

I suppose it's a matter of the perspective one has on what a video game is. I'm just old school enough to believe that there are distinct realms of responsibility for the player (the player character) and for the game dev (everything else) and that the two have to overlap (running through an artillery barrage knocking the character around for instance) but they should always remain secular. (That's your job. This is mine.) You try grabbing the wheel when I'm driving a car without some really good reason (I'm feinting or having a heart attack or something) there's a real good chance I'll slug ya. Not to be mean or a bully but because, in that moment, I am legally and morally responsible for keeping everyone in and out of that vehicle safe and secure from several thousand tons of internal combustion powered metal moving at speeds human beings aren't capable of without outside assistance.

I have to admit: I tend to feel the same way when the devs grab the wheel and interfere in my ability to play the game the way I want.

I pull into the parking lot of Lizzy's, the Mox HQ, and my vehicle stalls, stops and refuses to move at all. I can't even park the thing IN THE PARKING LOT.

Why?

Cos they need to prevent me from killing/glitching those two bouncers standing out front.

So... I love the scene. The Asian woman's attitude, the way the scene unfolds... oh yeah. I dig it.

But.... let's be honest... making my car STOP WORKING in the parking lot or when down the block from Judy Alvarez or anywhere near the Aldecado's camp...

What can I say? You know? I mean what's the nice, gentle, I recognize that you guys (the devs) are people too and have feelings and lives and things you care about... I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings. Not trying to put anybody down.

With that said... Really?

That's the way you decided to handle that problem?

Those two bouncers in front of Lizzy's? Make them essential and put a waist-high barrier stopping players from driving into them... or a pair of those pylons (just make them not fall down when someone sneezes on them) and then, if the player somehow manages to perform some vehicular acrobatics and lands a Mackinaw on top of them... do something clever. In that game world the devs are GOD. Do whatever you want. I don't mind consequences (especially if they're funny). Have a cutscene play where they shove the car off with their cybernetics, maybe pick up a missing limb and use it to break the player's window or rip the car door off or something before dragging the player out and beating them down. When (s)he wakes up in an alley they've got money (cos it's digital) but are naked and have no weps. Then (s)he's gotta beg and grovel at the Mox before the story can progress. that kind of thing.

But... not even being able to park the car in the parking lot? Yeah that feels.... blunt. It feels clumsy, heavy handed and, well, it feels like a failure to understand what the game is.

If you guys (the devs) want to understand what the players are upset about... just play your game as a player. Be invested in your own immersion and your avatar's success in the game while understanding that we want meaningful challenges that can be solved OUR WAY.

The scripts you include to do our thinking for us (I can't jump when a fixer or the NCPD dispatch calls me?) Yeah. Those are insulting... at best.

No really. The scripts in the Witcher 3 that decided: 1) when I was in combat, 2) what weapon was in my hand, 3) whether I (Geralt is I in this case) wanted to sheathe it again, 4) if I was aware and able to respond to arrows flying at me, 5) if I needed a torch in my hand 6) whether I wanted to (was able) to run (in a cave big enough to park an entire neighborhood inside it)...

... you didn't need to waste yourself on any of that. And you'd have known that had you played it... as a player. All of that was wasted time and resources cos you failed to understand YOUR responsibility and respect the PLAYER'S realm of mastery.

I'm not interested in paying you for a game that plays itself. Red Dead Redemption 2 (these are examples for the purpose of illustrating my point) was an amazing open world with magnificent scenery, lighting... and storytelling. It was! I could tell that much of the development team had put their soul into the work they were doing. The sight of a panicking horse once turned me into the Grinch watching my heart grow three sizes that day.

I just hated actually trying to PLAY THE GAME... cos somebody was constantly grabbing the wheel and then running me off the road; just like wheeling my horse around to take another run at the bandits... while Geralt sheathes his sword. Oh, and you know you keep putting the wrong sword in Geralt's hand at the beginning of the fight with the Ice Giant, right?

Guys...

You have the WHOLE WORLD to play with.

Lay off my guy.

And play the game as a player.

You do those things with the intention to make a game YOU WANT TO PLAY... and you guys will rock the world. No need to chase the quick buck. You'll have loyal and devoted gamers... I'm going on 50. I've been buying video games since Wing Commander. You guys play your cards right and you will have customers for life.

That's the money.

Right?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Well, i understand your opinion ;)

I think they could be affraid by lot of players could kill by inadvertence an important PNJ and get stock in main quest (it's an example).
But, for players like you, an option who disable all of those restrictions (explicit and be selected at the start, as the difficulty) could be a good idea ?
If you kill an important pnj and the related quest failed, it's your fault :D
(a little like Kingdom Come, no save, no return back. If you doing something wrong, it's done)

Same for who want have less (or not at all) quest's markers (But in this case, the map is not enought detailled).
(if you have never play before, "meet Judy at her apartment" Where the hell is her apartment :D)

EDIT: Block the vehicles near a quest, it's not for avoid bad action from player... Because in "Pyramid Song", the vehicle is stock really far from bungalow... and there is nothing around.

Last edited:
Kill the car when you get up to a point I don't care.
But stopping my ability to double jump when the phone rings? They've killed me more than once doing that. Jumping off a roof in Kabuki - Regina calls - Splat. Thanks devs.

Or I have to wait for the slow drone of the NCPD dispatcher to get through her speech and I'm just trying to jump up on something to get an advantageous area in the same quest. I have to stand there and wait before continuing.

Stop interfering with the player like that.

Kill the car when you get up to a point I don't care.
But stopping my ability to double jump when the phone rings? They've killed me more than once doing that. Jumping off a roof in Kabuki - Regina calls - Splat. Thanks devs.

Or I have to wait for the slow drone of the NCPD dispatcher to get through her speech and I'm just trying to jump up on something to get an advantageous area in the same quest. I have to stand there and wait before continuing.

Stop interfering with the player like that.

That is fair, your point is hard to argue with.

dont even start with "promising" - its a dead end ;)
Yeah, I know. People love to seize on that word and say CDPR never "promised" anything.

Would "pledged" be better? What term will people accept that means, "They said X, and they meant it at the time"...?

Top Bottom