Please take special attention to game world

+
Please take special attention to game world

Though this is as much my fault as anyone one else in the same boat, one of the major shortcomings of TW2 was how much of the political, geographical, social and historical lore the player was supposed to be aware of. Much of the game dialogue was focused around this so deeply, that once I could not make a connection to what was being said, the entirety of the remainder of the discussion was moot.

When I hear them talk about some king who borders the Aedernian land wanting to side with his NIlfaardian enemies despite the pact of Oompa Loompa, then one-off talking about character names without expressly reiterating who they are in relation to that king or myself. Well, it doesn't take much of this to pretty much derail me in comprehending what the heck anyone is talking about. Sure Geralt has responses that are intelligently based on his complete understanding, but I'd like to make that same connect myself.

To that end, I'm hoping to see either in-game or online, a reference to the history of the game, major persons, events, factions, etc, so that I can read up on this before I play the game. TW3 promises to be 100+ hours of play, and I want to get every last $ worth, but not if I'm just clicking through the dialogue because I'm not connected into the game world like I want to be. I know that task in and of itself is daunting. And I know a good story is supposed to have lots of twists (which always made it harder for me to comprehend). But maybe some kind of precursor compendium would be beneficial to those like myself who'd want to take the time to understand things more integrally.

Though this is as much my fault as anyone one else in the same boat, one of the major shortcomings of TW2 was how much of the political, geographical, social and historical lore the player was supposed to be aware of. Much of the game dialogue was focused around this so deeply, that once I could not make a connection to what was being said, the entirety of the remainder of the discussion was moot.

When I hear them talk about some king who borders the Aedernian land wanting to side with his NIlfaardian enemies despite the pact of Oompa Loompa, then one-off talking about character names without expressly reiterating who they are in relation to that king or myself. Well, it doesn't take much of this to pretty much derail me in comprehending what the heck anyone is talking about. Sure Geralt has responses that are intelligently based on his complete understanding, but I'd like to make that same connect myself.

To that end, I'm hoping to see either in-game or online, a reference to the history of the game, major persons, events, factions, etc, so that I can read up on this before I play the game. TW3 promises to be 100+ hours of play, and I want to get every last $ worth, but not if I'm just clicking through the dialogue because I'm not connected into the game world like I want to be. I know that task in and of itself is daunting. And I know a good story is supposed to have lots of twists (which always made it harder for me to comprehend). But maybe some kind of precursor compendium would be beneficial to those like myself who'd want to take the time to understand things more integrally.

I suggest you to read Sapkowski's books, you'll get much deeper immersion into the lore. And they're very good by themselves.

• RED Point
Reactions: Mal
But OP can be right... It'd would be useful if CDPR still keeping the Dandelion's journal and add some political and historical references from the books
The easiest solution is reading the books, of course.

No worries.

CDPR will make the Witcher 3 as accessible as possible to players new to the series,
so you won't have to worry about confusion regarding names, locations and other lore~

But if you are looking for a comprehensible compendium with all facts of the Witcher universe,
you might want to check out the books while waiting for the Witcher 3.

They are really entertaining and well-written and after you've read them you'll enjoy and value
the games more than you ever have, so it's definately worth it~

@wichat
Damn, you posted faster than me. Again.
I blame Kinley.

As Joe Friday said, "Just the facts, ma'am."

...I'm not implying you're women, I'm just saying that books are great storytelling devices, but I feel what I would get better references from is a compendium of information about persons, factions, locations, events, etc. Reading 5 pages about the individual events that happened in a battle would give me in-depth knowledge, but for my reasons, I just need to know the name of the battle, the factions involved, who won, and any main points. A summary, basically. Just so if it is referenced in TW3, I'm not completely lost.

You guys bring up good points about the Dandelion-esque journal writing (loved that), which is great to put into context what I was doing. So as long as the game came with a FULLY unlocked compendium about people, places, events, etc., I could stop Geralt off at an inn, open up this part of the game, and just start to read.

Hopefully, the guys at CDPR could put in only the lore that would be referenceable from the entire game (without providing any spoilers). If something would, I would be OK with it only appearing in the compendium once I found it or experienced it in the game world.

I disagree with OP, it's an incredibly immersive and organic way to give info about the world and to give the player an idea where Geralt stands (with the responses available). In the modern day you cant go around the street without hearing people discussing politics, imagine it was the same in the middle ages as well, most of the time they dont know what they're talking about or are repeating media's opinions. That also applied to the witcher world as different NPC would outright invent lies about an oposing faction. In the end It's up to you to decide what is what in the world.

I disagree with OP, it's an incredibly immersive and organic way to give info about the world and to give the player an idea where Geralt stands (with the responses available). In the modern day you cant go around the street without hearing people discussing politics, imagine it was the same in the middle ages as well, most of the time they dont know what they're talking about or are repeating media's opinions. That also applied to the witcher world as different NPC would outright invent lies about an oposing faction. In the end It's up to you to decide what is what in the world.

You cannot "disagree with the OP" because the OP is stating that this is a PERSONAL issue. It's like me saying "Guys I'm having a hard time learning math" and you come back and say "I disagree with that". There isn't a point being made to disagree with. I'm only looking for suggestions from people on how I can better acclimate myself with the game's lore.

It seems like you're trying to supplant a realistic interpretation of the game experience with one where the player's enjoyment can falter due to a loss of understanding about what is going on. If you value realism that much, why not make death permanent. Ie, once Geralt dies, you have to uninstall the game and buy a new copy. (extreme, but the point is that some people don't value the realism as much as you, so forcing it on players is not as preferable as to giving the player the choice)

As Joe Friday said, "Just the facts, ma'am."

...I'm not implying you're women, I'm just saying that books are great storytelling devices, but I feel what I would get better references from is a compendium of information about persons, factions, locations, events, etc. Reading 5 pages about the individual events that happened in a battle would give me in-depth knowledge, but for my reasons, I just need to know the name of the battle, the factions involved, who won, and any main points. A summary, basically. Just so if it is referenced in TW3, I'm not completely lost.

The point is that the books are very good by themselves, as I said. You will enjoy reading them no less than playing the games. The events of the first game happen after the events of the last book, so the plots of the games and the books are separate.
And as a byproduct of reading the books, you get deeper immersion into the lore. If you "want to get every last $ worth" from Witcher 3, reading the books is a total must, since it seems that the Witcher 3 will be more connected to what happened in the books than the previous games.

Sapkowski's books are not available world-wide...

If there is absolutely no chance of buying the books where you live, you can find them online, you know...
I think you can buy electronic versions on Amazon, for instance.

Last edited:
The point is that the books are very good by themselves, as I said. You will enjoy reading them no less than playing the games. The events of the first game happen after the events of the last book, so the plots of the games and the books are separate.
And as a byproduct of reading the books, you get deeper immersion into the lore. If you "want to get every last $ worth" from Witcher 3, reading the books is a total must, since it seems that the Witcher 3 will be more connected to what happened in the books than the previous games.

If there is absolutely no chance of buying the books where you live, you can find them online, you know...
I think you can buy electronic versions on Amazon, for instance.

I guess we place a different level of entertainment/importance on books than. My father and sister and avid book readers; for me, I've never enjoyed reading a book for sake of storytelling mediums; I prefer book reading to be nothing more than knowledge consumption. This probably plays a big role in why I'm looking for a compendium rather than a 12-part novel epic. Again, "Just the facts."

@Aegis_Kleais

I understand what you are trying to say, you expect the game to give you the necessary information, so that you won't have a problem understanding the dialogue.
It's a thing CDPR has stated that they will try to fix.

If you still wonder about some issues in TW2 there is a series of very useful threads that explain alot, here in the forums, by knightofphoenix. Very well written and explained.
Here is a link, they are the sticky threads with the inscription, Politics of the Witcher 2.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forums/39-Plot-and-Quest-Discussion

I see your point here and I do agree with you to some extent. However with that said TW1 and 2 have some of the best in game journal system I have ever seen, so even if you do not read the books (which I didn't when first introduced to the genre), the journals should be more than enough to explain the majority of the politics, struggles, individual motivations, etc. So for me I would not ask for any change in the story telling aspects, given the fact that this is their hallmark and precisely why I love this series so much. But if they manage to even top that I would absolutely welcome such changes

Top Bottom