Please, think about the people with low end rigs, let us completely turn off shadows

+
There is a reason why they set minimal system requirements, that is the MINIIMAL you need to run the game at an acceptable rate to play, chain bumping this thread will do nothing to change that.

I won't stop until I get an offical response to why they went this route with the stupid shadows. My other thread is ignored as well, the cursor won't remain locked in windowed/borderless windowed mode. So, you know, I COULD play if it wasn't bugged and I didn't play a minute since release and been trying to get them to fix it for weeks. So the "deal with it there are minimal system requirements" argument won't cut it for me and I have every right to be pissed.

Last edited:
I understand wanting to play the game and everything, but you're 2 generations, a tier below and a mobile version of a recommend graphics card. Yeah turning off shadows could be an option, but I think you will have to use mods and .ini tweeks to have any chance of it being playable.

It's not letting me copy the link on my phone but I looked at a GPU comparison site and the 760 is about 4x faster than the 555m. I know people are getting results below minimum, but you're wayyyyy below.

Edit: a few other things I wanted to comment on.

Game is strictly CPU physics it does not have GPU accelerated physics.

The game is HEAVILY GPU dependent, reviewers have down clocked to 2ghz and overclocked to 4.5ghz and saw no fps change.

If the other poster experienced a 6fps gain from low to dropping shadows completely at 1440p you would see LESS of an fps increase at 720p as everything is already lower res. The lower your res the less impact most settings will have.

Last edited:
I understand wanting to play the game and everything, but you're 2 generations, a tier below and a mobile version of a recommend graphics card. Yeah turning off shadows could be an option, but I think you will have to use mods and .ini tweeks to have any chance of it being playable.

It's not letting me copy the link on my phone but I looked at a GPU comparison site and the 760 is about 4x faster than the 555m. I know people are getting results below minimum, but you're wayyyyy below.

Edit: a few other things I wanted to comment on.

Game is strictly CPU physics it does not have GPU accelerated physics.

The game is HEAVILY GPU dependent, reviewers have down clocked to 2ghz and overclocked to 4.5ghz and saw no fps change.

If the other poster experienced a 6fps gain from low to dropping shadows completely at 1440p you would see LESS of an fps increase at 720p as everything is already lower res. The lower your res the less impact most settings will have.

You are right and wrong. While it is obvious I wouldn't get a 20 fps boost without shadows I sure would get at least 3-4 which matters a lot when I am only shooting for stable 20-30 fps in freaking 800x600. I already managed to get 15-25 but since the windowed mode is bugged and the cursor leaves it I can't play. No shadows could help further but things are out of my control at this point on and I am stuck waiting for patches.

It's possible to run games way under the requirements, it's not rocket science, you just need an actually working game with no ridicolus bugs like the window one here.

Fixing the windowed mode bug I can understand, but you can't really expect any more than that in terms of support. You purchased a game with minimum requirements far exceeding that of your computer. Apart from fixing the windowed version bug, they owe you nothing. I know it's rocket science to run below minimum requirements, but that doesn't mean they'll put in time to support outdated hardware.

Edit: I know you were coming here for technical assistance and not to argue, but the constant bumping and saying you're pissed off and all that I believe is unwarranted. I hope you can get the game playable I honestly do. But sometimes you just need to upgrade its the nature of computers. CDPR is going to focus their efforts on improving their game I'm sure and maybe you'll luck out and it will be playable, but direct support for your hardware is unlikely.

Last edited:
Fixing the windowed mode bug I can understand, but you can't really expect any more than that in terms of support. You purchased a game with minimum requirements far exceeding that of your computer. Apart from fixing the windowed version bug, they owe you nothing. I know it's rocket science to run below minimum requirements, but that doesn't mean they'll put in time to support outdated hardware.

Edit: I know you were coming here for technical assistance and not to argue, but the constant bumping and saying you're pissed off and all that I believe is unwarranted. I hope you can get the game playable I honestly do. But sometimes you just need to upgrade its the nature of computers. CDPR is going to focus their efforts on improving their game I'm sure and maybe you'll luck out and it will be playable, but direct support for your hardware is unlikely.

Asking for a specific option is not really a direct support to just my hardware. (Apart from my GPU nothing is outdated anyway.) It's beneficial for everyone. Not to mention something like this should have been a base one. Stop thinking that everyone has a 970. The more options the better. PC scales well but in this game it was completely scrapped for console parity I guess. Witcher 2 scaled like a dream. Please stop saying to upgrade, I can't. If everyone is so rich here donate me a rig seriously. Barging in here and flaming me when you can play just fine won't help my situation at all. Of course I am pissed since this window bug is present since release (and 5 patches later) and what do they do? Prioritize removing some naked chicks from some place...... I am not really angry because of the lack of no shadow option but the lack of offical response. All I want is a simple yes or no then this thread can go to the abyss. I've been waiting for more than two weeks now.

I don't understand why it's not an option. The FPS gain from editing shadows in the usersettings.ini is excellent though.

One user mentioned it only gave them 6 fps but that's 6fps for people trying to play at least 30fps.

I don't understand why it's not an option. The FPS gain from editing shadows in the usersettings.ini is excellent though.

One user mentioned it only gave them 6 fps but that's 6fps for people trying to play at least 30fps.

My only problem with ini editing is that at the moment there are like 11 and lines are scattered all over the place. This is another reason why it should be an in-game option imo. Hunter's Config can ease this a bit but it doesn't even work most of the time...

The main thing that hurts FPS is grass draw distance, edit your settings file so the grass doesn't draw very far and even your lowly 555M should be able to churn out high enough FPS.

EDIT - Right, I've gone and edited a load of XML files, geared toward FPS gain while trying to not make the game look completely horrid. If these files don't work, give it up man that 555M just can't do it. Also, remember to delete your user.settings file (including the .bak one) after copying these files over. Everything is preconfigured with the low preset so just click it then measure your FPS with fraps.

To install: Copy the bin folder to your main witcher 3 directory
in the post processing options select "low"
in the graphics settings select "low"

You might even have enough breathing room to increase the texture quality options but under absolutely no circumstances should you adjust anything to do with grass and foliage. As for the borderless window issue, set to full screen, exit the game and set user.settings file to read only.

Attachments

• bin.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
give it up man that 555M just can't do it.

QFT! Update your potato rig or buy yourself a console, simple as that! End of Story!
Your endless bumping of this thread won't change this fact neither any of the advice of the other forumusers!
There are MINIMUM System Requirements for a fuckin' reason and a 555M isn't even near of those Requirements!
You can't drive a Camaro with a Toyota Prius engine, simple as that!

QFT! Update your potato rig or buy yourself a console, simple as that! End of Story!
Your endless bumping of this thread won't change this fact neither any of the advice of the other forumusers!
There are MINIMUM System Requirements for a fuckin' reason and a 555M isn't even near of those Requirements!

Yup, pretty much. The only time shadows hit my FPS hard is when I manually edit variable for them and even then its only the shadow resolution that does it and I can't even see the difference between 2k and 4k shadows and thats with a high level of scrutiny. Props must go to CDPR for how well optimised the shadows are, even manually increasing the shadow draw distance barely costs any FPS at all. Going from ultra values to manually edited of 0.5, 4.5, 4.5, 4.0, 4.0 I saw a drop of like 1.5FPS.

So concluding if anyone is looking to drastically increase shadow quality without any performance impact I would recommend values of 0.75, 3.5, 3.5, 3.0, 3.0 and a shadow resolution of 2048.

The main thing that hurts FPS is grass draw distance, edit your settings file so the grass doesn't draw very far and even your lowly 555M should be able to churn out high enough FPS.

EDIT - Right, I've gone and edited a load of XML files, geared toward FPS gain while trying to not make the game look completely horrid. If these files don't work, give it up man that 555M just can't do it. Also, remember to delete your user.settings file (including the .bak one) after copying these files over. Everything is preconfigured with the low preset so just click it then measure your FPS with fraps.

To install: Copy the bin folder to your main witcher 3 directory
in the post processing options select "low"
in the graphics settings select "low"

You might even have enough breathing room to increase the texture quality options but under absolutely no circumstances should you adjust anything to do with grass and foliage. As for the borderless window issue, set to full screen, exit the game and set user.settings file to read only.

CDPR should hire your for setting presets lol. Dunno what you did but I am able to get stable 15 (sometimes 20, at less demanding places 25) fps with high textures and some fxaa and with barely any stuttering, it feels fluid enough, all this in my native resolution of 1366x768, also looks pretty good and the grass and tree pop in does not bother me. Before that I got like 8-11-13 fps max in this resolution. I can bypass the windowed cursor mode bug this way too since I don't need the window anymore. Grass really seems to be the key here. I wish settings like turning off fog worked because that could give me another boost (seriously, they have this in the ini, it just doesn't work..., same with the rain option). CDPR said they will release their own tweaking tool but it's been a month and nothing.... Whatever, I'll settle playing like this now. Thank you very much.

---------- Updated at 01:13 PM ----------

ketxxx just proved himself wrong you know. It can do it. Also, you could have tried to help me like he did because as I said before I can't afford to upgrade and it's easy to boast when you have a decent rig for it.

like this?

Also playing with an xbox one gamepad will help with the windowed mouse leaving the game window bug because you wont even use your mouse its identical to Xbox one using the controller.

Top Bottom