Point in time that you would have been fine if graphic technology had stopped.

+
There have been several points in time where I was like "Wow! Game graphics will never get better than this!" (and I was always wrong.).. But at what point would you have been fine if all graphics technology and progression just came to a halt? (You'd still have all the same games you have today, they'd just have a graphic quality from your chosen time period.)

For me it would have been around 2004, Half Life 2, GTA San Andreas, Vampire the Masquerade. If gaming graphics remained the same from that point forward and I had no knowledge of what came after, I would have been completely fine and dandy.

2004 at Half Life 2.

The point and importance of high end graphics is way overemphasized in games today, while the point gameplay is undermined (as the collateral damage of going too much on the visuals).

It is kinda perverse, to be honest, that all the new processing power and technology goes towards shit like raytracing and polycount and tesselation and whatnot, but gameplay is getting simpler and simpler and more and more homogenized even between ”supposedly” different genres.

This seems like rather a general topic, not specifically related to any of CDPR's game, so moved over to Community.

Probably today ;)

Im honestly perfectly happy with what we get now an it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if thats where it stayed.

RDR2 made me go WoW more than once, Star Wars Battlefront on frostbite way back had me wondering if it was a game or a movie when i first seen it aswell.

Im not one tbh for ultra realistic, i like my games to be games but im a big softy for a great view and photo mode ;)

I'd also say i think environments etc have took great leaps but i still think in alot of cases NPC severely lack, wee in the west seem to put less focus on npc an pc as say the Asian market an more on environment which i find a shame especially since the Asain Market are seemingly becoming so good at both (pity about alot of the writing though).

If i had to say western developers could improve on something it probably most likely always be the character creator, why i can never make a wee chuboid like myself iill never know, probably armour related tbh

It will never be perfect until they prove the "Zoom and Enhance" ability in all the crime shows.

It depends on the graphics style. 2D from the 90s often still looks very fine to me. 3D on the other hand is trickier and up to the early 2000s it didn’t age that well...

That being said, some of the PS4/Xbox One releases (God of War, Uncharted 4, Last of Us 2, RdR2...) definitely hit a level where I don‘t care anymore if a newer game manages to look better. Shorter loading times are more interesting to me at this point 😄.

Hmm today, or last year for all I care lol. I mean considering I play mostly games like Witcher 3, Skyrim, World of Warcraft, Company of Heroes 2, FPS like Insurgency or Squad... and I never thought to myself "Damn deeze need better graphics".
The idea of never having to buy a newer and stronger (thus more expensive) graphics card is a pleasent one lol.

It's hard to say what era of technology i appriciate more or less, all i know is i love how Cyberpunk 2077 looks.

The GameCube/PS2 era was capable of truly spectacular graphics. Considering what games like Final Fantasy XII and the Metroid Prime series accomplished, I would have been perfectly content if that was the point where graphics technology plateaued.

I never thought "Wow, it can't get any better than this", but there were several situations where I was impressed. The first one I had with TES: Morrowind. I thought that Antialiasing was all I need to make games look better. The second one was the original and legendary Crysis. And the third situation will be the day when I can play Cyberpunk 2077 remastered at 4K with RT enabled and 240 FPS.

There have been several points in time where I was like "Wow! Game graphics will never get better than this!" (and I was always wrong.).. But at what point would you have been fine if all graphics technology and progression just came to a halt? (You'd still have all the same games you have today, they'd just have a graphic quality from your chosen time period.)

For me it would have been around 2004, Half Life 2, GTA San Andreas, Vampire the Masquerade. If gaming graphics remained the same from that point forward and I had no knowledge of what came after, I would have been completely fine and dandy.

Don't get me wrong, some of the games that had amazing graphics had rubbish gameplay so for me, I am in the camp where even now with the newer consoles being released.. Raytracing and everything is great and everything but if the gameplay is still rubbish then what's the point for it?

Don't get me wrong, some of the games that had amazing graphics had rubbish gameplay so for me, I am in the camp where even now with the newer consoles being released.. Raytracing and everything is great and everything but if the gameplay is still rubbish then what's the point for it?
It's all about the throw-back vibes ;)

As a graphic artist (Hobbyist) I would have to say that there will never be a time when graphical progress can stop, as artists are forever chasing the pinnacle of our craft and will never be satisfied!

Let’s try about 1970. Nothing beats playing in person with phi cal cards or game boards, etc.
There is a part of me that thinks the Apple IIe would have been a fine stopping point. Longest amount of time I ever spent with one pc that remained useful for that length of time. We got it at Christmas in 1984 and I used it until around 1996.

Top Bottom