Poland Flooding?

+
just saw a video of Poland flooding. due to heavy rain..hope everyone is doing well
Unfortunately its even worse in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands. There are many victims due to floods.

It's time governments worldwide really start to do something to avoid catastrophic climate disruption by reducing pollution. What has been already done is not enough.

Sometimes i think that my daughter will grow up in a world very different from the one we grew in. And this worries me.

DC9V

Forum veteran
I haven't heard any bad news from Poland yet. A couple of days ago there was heavy flooding in Belgium, Western Germany, and Southern Germany, with nearly 200 fatalities (combined).
Also affected but to a lesser extent: Parts of Eastern Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, and Switzerland.
1626751491308.png

Last edited:
It's time governments worldwide really start to do something to avoid catastrophic climate disruption by reducing pollution. What has been already done is not enough.

There are two core issues:
1. Greenhouse gases. Greenhouse gases prevent thermal radiation from escaping earth into space, causing thermal energy to stack up here and cause warming of atmosphere. Everyone knows about this, but its only half of the problem.

2. Reduction of Albedo. Albedo measures the amount of solar radiation that is reflected off earth back into space. Two main factors to it are polar areas covered in snow, and cloud cover. Both of these are being reduced in size because of climate change, thus causing more solar radiation to hit earth and warm the atmosphere. There is less snow in the north and theres less clouds overall over the hot areas. There is very little we can do about this, but it causes a cascading effect that speeds up the climate change.

As to what we can do,
one theoretically simple but important method to help combat climate change is to reduce the mass logging and harvesting of rainforests. [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is it becomes a self substaining system. More heat = less snow = more heat, also more people = more food/electricity/greenhouse gasses = we need too expand our living area = less forests = more ppl and so on. Everything scales upward and we need too even out the curve. Just like with a certain world wide other thing. Also the more we develop the more were gonna let out stuff since we take shortcuts all the time. theres really no good alternative too petrol atm (electrical is on its way but its still way too heavy for planes and so on) but on the power generating front we have better alternetives then coal for example. Coal is cheaper and faster tho so in developing countrys its still pretty common sadly.

In the netherlands, specifically northern part of the affected province we've been quite lucky. High water has flooded several locations but by far the majority remained safe behind the dikes.
The southern part regretfully was a little less fortunate. Germany and Belgium have had it even worse.
Much strength to all those affected by the water/floodings

It's still hard to look at considering that I live less than a mile from the Saar, a river that spans from parts of south-west germany to france and yet, besides some flooded basements there has been next to no damage in my area after multiple days of heavy rainfall.

That is now the second big flooding in my lifetime, both times I was among the lucky ones due to my location and the way the Saar flows. But fuck I really don't know if I would want to live in an area where a desastrous flood like that is not only possible, but all but guaranteed to happen multiple times this century.

Best wishes to all of those affected, be that by a flood, wildfire or any other (semi-)natural disaster.

I love the BEAUTIFUL landscapes in that part of Europe, but they're prone to bad things happening with too much rain. I've seen videos of small streams turning into raging rivers in what seems like just a few minutes time. It's like where I live in Florida during a tropical storm, but without our natural ability to quickly shed the water back into the ocean. Terrible. Best wishes to everyone involved.

For those who are interested, high water level in northern Limburg (NL)
IMG_20210716_141838.jpg

IMG_20210716_141904.jpg

The grass in lower corners of the images are the highest range of the dikes and the water was about 0,5m below (and over 4 meters higher than usual)

Top Bottom