Politics in TW3

+
Politics in W3 is like ending in one other game where if you want different ending you go and replay last 10 minutes picking Blue, Red or Green colour, but here is pretty much the same you go and play one quest picking diferent colour but this time is Black, Red or Gold ( Yellow )

- Aedirn's fate matters little in the end. Either Free Pontar State is formed and annihilated by Nilfgaard or Kaedwen gains it. It can be also easily overwhelmed by another war (and it had serious problems fighting off even Kaedwen alone, in W2).

I could just as easily see, assuming the Pontar State was formed, the Emhyr working his political machinations to offer protection to the Free Pontar, thereby gaining it as a protectorate. This would probably also have the added effect of winning allies among the Scoia'tael. Given the guerilla resistance that is hinted (though we never see, just like we never see anything that's really going on in this war) from some of the 'collapsed' northern kingdoms, it would serve as both a counterpoint to the northern resistance as well as being the perfect staging point. It would also gain a healthy amount of irregulars known for disrupting caravans, sowing disorder and fear, all under the added possibility of swelling their ranks through 'perceived tolerance'. Given we are also told that Nilfgaard is reaching a breaking point (through a conversation with Dijkstra) this adds further credence that this would be a pretty shrewd decision for the emperor.

Last edited:
Don't know where you read it, but it's not true. He was heavily involved, although not through whole production process (at some point he moved on to Cyberpunk).

Well that's obviously a major reason why we go from Dijkstra in Act 2 to the absolute imbecile he is in Act 3.

Well that's obviously a major reason why we go from Dijkstra in Act 2 to the absolute imbecile he is in Act 3.

You're free to believe anything you want, but based on my knowledge you're wrong. Sorry, but I won't go into further details here.

There's no need for scapegoating - we're resposible for this as a team, and we're reading your opinions carefully. We've always taken community feedback seriously, and we will learn from this experience for the future projects.

You're free to believe anything you want, but based on my knowledge you're wrong. Sorry, but I won't go into further details here.

There's no need for scapegoating - we're resposible for this as a team, and we're reading your opinions carefully. We've always taken community feedback seriously, and we will learn from this experience for the future projects.

Among these projects is an enhanced edition for TW3?

Ps, check out my signature. Thanks.

Good to know the game is great I think there is no doubt about that
Just a few things could have been handled better you know? Especially for long time fans of the games (most common criticism: Save Import not mattering, Politics from TW2 dumbed down, Triss getting shafted, Wild Hunt not developed enough and just generic evil antagonists, last Act very rushed, Endings not providing enough closure etc.)

I hope you guys make a Enhanced Edition since the one for TW2 did wonders (also had a rushed last Act)

Among these projects is an enhanced edition for TW3?

Ps, check out my signature. Thanks.

I won't lie to you - many issues described in this thread are rooted too deep in existing content to fix them with subtle changes, which means they're very unlikely to get fixed/changed. We'll address what we can with future updates of course, but Enhanced Edition is not being planned right now.

Signature noted. ;)

---------- Updated at 10:49 PM ----------

Good to know the game is great I think there is no doubt about that
Just a few things could have been handled better you know? Especially for long time fans of the games (most common criticism: Save Import not mattering, Politics from TW2 dumbed down, Triss getting shafted, Wild Hunt not developed enough and just generic evil antagonists, last Act very rushed, Endings not providing enough closure etc.)

I hope you guys make a Enhanced Edition since the one for TW2 did wonders (also had a rushed last Act)

I understand. Believe me, there are loads of things we'd like to make better / different if we could, looking back at the game now. Some of the issues you're raising were brought up during development, but for various reasons couldn't be addressed at the point we stumbled upon them.

I'm not saying no, and I'm not saying yes - everything is possible, but it depends on our resources and time.

I won't lie to you - many issues described in this thread are rooted too deep in existing content to fix them with subtle changes, which means they're very unlikely to get fixed/changed. We'll address what we can with future updates of course, but Enhanced Edition is not being planned right now.

Signature noted. ;)

That's make sense.
Please, forgive me if my question seems out of place, but what lead you to take the decision of make that kind of choice at the end of Reasons of State (I mean, Dijkstra vs Roche, Ves and Thaler)?
From how you build Dijkstra character (and how is portraited in the books) Dijkstra seems to me far more smart and clever, isn't the risk he make (siding against Geralt's old allies) a bit out of character?
Did you want to give to the player a "tough" choice to make?

Thank you for your participation in the thread, and for clarifying certain issues.

Indeed, I think many grievances are systemic and cannot be fixed, so I've come to accept that. I hope that after a few months, I'll be able to enjoy TW3 without holding a grudge against it, and I am sure I'll have a lot of fun. Now however the wound, so to speak, is still fresh (my undying love for TW2 is known I think!).

Still, I am eager for Cyberpunk and I hope it will make up for what I see are flaws in TW3's story :)

Last edited:
That's make sense.
Please, forgive me if my question seems out of place, but what lead you to take the decision of make that kind of choice at the end of Reasons of State (I mean, Dijkstra vs Roche, Ves and Thaler)?
From how you build Dijkstra character (and how is portraited in the books) Dijkstra seems to me far more smart and clever, isn't the risk he make (siding against Geralt's old allies) a bit out of character?
Did you want to give to the player a "tough" choice to make?

I think they mostly just wanted to prevent the player from having his cake and eating it too. But yes, this is the one I've griped about the most. It doesn't make any sense that Dijkstra jumps in there to get himself killed. He should either flee when the fighting starts, or at least try to surrender. Geralt has some good reasons to spare him, and Roche/Ves really aren't in a position to force the issue at that point, IMO.

I actually almost started laughing when I realized that Dijkstra had jumped into the fight at the end of Reason of State. I was expecting to have to fight my way to him, or even chase him to the bathhouse before killing him.

Similarly, how silly are some of the decisions for the 'bring characters to Kaer Morhen' quest?

Roche and Ves, two leading figures of the Temerian resistance, PERSONALLY travel to Kaer Morhen to fight the Wild Hunt. What? It would be a lot more believable if they sent some forces or something. I half-expected Dijkstra to personally come to Kaer Morhen and personally fight against Eredin and his forces when I asked him to help me.

On the other hand, Roche and Ves (Particularly the former) are probably two of the most developed characters in the game trilogy, so their presence might have been necessary. But it really would have made more sense if Roche wasn't the military leader of the Temerian resistance.

AFAIK, they wanted even to do a 4th act in Dol Blathanna, but they run out of money at the time.
I'm still hoping for a TW2 remake with RedEngine 3 and the fourth chapter. :D

Really? Visiting Dol Blathanna would have been awesome
A shame that they didn't include it

Signature noted. ;)

So I can tell my cousin that he will be able to conclude his Geralt's story with Shani?

Ps. I agree with you, but how deep? which issues exactly are you talking about? I've read somewhere that this game would be supported for two years, so one year after the second expansion? (I'm not 100% sure about this). Isn't it more than enough time to address most issues if enough resources are allocated to it? Whether it is one big enhanced edition or many smaller updates is not a problem (marketing wise, one huge enhanced edition is better, right? haha).

And some suggestions like handling Saskia/Iorveth (Iorveth path/free Saskia) by having us only hear about their exploits, not seeing them and making it change something palpable about the war are doable changes?

The scene hit me like a gut punch because while I was spoiled, I never imagined the context.

1. Roche would trade Temeria's independence for helping Nilfgaard invade other lands with coin and soldiers.
2. Stabbing Lyria and Aedrin in the back.
3. Trust Emhyrs to honor his word for murdering a King when he's already betrayed Letho over the same thing.

I wanted a stronger. "What the ****, dude!?" reaction

Yeah, that blew my mind. You agreed to what?!

Even if Roche thinks the deal is the best he'll get on offer... Even if he can justify the loss of other territories because he's a patriot and Temeria comes first...

How could he trust Emhyr after the assassination of his own king?

The murdering of Temeria's civilians for helping him and his guerillas?

The autonomy in name only [let's be realistic here] while a local despot rules as a pawn of Emhyr? Remember, this is pre-ciri-whitefrost-punched-in-the-face-possible emperor.

They'd effectively be disarming retreating to a small area completely surrounded by Nilfgaardian forces.

PSA: Today's ciri-whitefrost-punch-in-the-face was brought to you by Willowhugger! Wish I could find that post... She punched it in the face, lol. :D

So I can tell my cousin that he will be able to conclude his Geralt's story with Shani?

Ps. I agree with you, but how deep? which issues exactly are you talking about? I've read somewhere that this game would be supported for two years, so one year after the second expansion? (I'm not 100% sure about this). Isn't it more than enough time to address most issues if enough resources are allocated to it? Whether it is one big enhanced edition or many smaller updates is not a problem (marketing wise, one huge enhanced edition is better, right? haha).

And some suggestions like handling Saskia/Iorveth (Iorveth path/free Saskia) by having us only hear about their exploits, not seeing them and making it change something palpable about the war are doable changes?

I think that he's talking about the quest design. To address and fix some issues, would be necessary to modifythe quest design itself, which is not possible.

I am more concerned by the disappearance of the order of the flaming rose. Radovids personal enforcers and bodyguards are basically a non existent entity in the Witcher 3. Would it have been hard to tint some of Radovids personal guard with Flaming rose herald? It does not need to involve a quest or anything big, just the aesthetic presence of the order would have been enough and improved the continuity feeling for old time fans.

Yeah, that blew my mind. You agreed to what?!

Even if Roche thinks the deal is the best he'll get on offer... Even if he can justify the loss of other territories because he's a patriot and Temeria comes first...

Why in the world do so many people seem to assume that the fate of Lyria, Rivia, and Aedirn hinged on Roche's tenacity?

Temeria fought against Nilfgaard - Roche mentions a battle that lasted for three days - and they lost. Whatever the kingdom could scrounge up after Foltest's death was crushed and the country was defeated, utterly and completely. Roche was reduced to becoming a guerilla that scurried around in the hills, knowing that his country was never going to be independent again. Rivia, Lyria, and Aedirn falling to Nilfgaard had nothing to do with him.

So when Nilfgaard offers him the promise of even the slightest degree of sovereignty (The alternative to this being Redania, which offers absolutely nothing), he eagerly agrees. Again, let me emphasize that Temeria has been DEFEATED before the game even starts. They will never again be an independent kingdom. Roche isn't 'trading Temeria's independence' or 'stabbing anyone in the back', he's literally taking the one single possible course of action that could in some way be beneficial to Temeria.

Last edited:

It's more a reflection of a situation. I think it would be odd if there weren't problems when the lead writer of a project was changed, or of a game series. Especially of a game that had by many accounts a troubled and long development.

I don't mean to suggest that anyone in particular is at fault. TW2 had it's own issues as well, not on this magnitude but still.

Well I can appreciate the frank honesty of your post instead of the arrogance I've seen from so many developers with their games "Cough" Mass Effect 3 artistic integrity "cough" despite the fact your post is like being slammed with a sledgehammer.

Two things then.

1) By your posts I suppose the team, especially the writers, are well aware of the problems that plague the game on the political side of things and in the main story? Just curios if it's something that's being discussed there.

2) Here's a list of what I would consider reasonable fixes to the problems of TW3. Political or not. Also a list of "Enhanced Edition and beyond fixes"

Some things like Letho being betrayed by Emhyr, who is renowned for keeping his word, Dijkstra becoming an utter idiot and Geralt's role in the assassination are too much too ask for as an easy fix but there are other things that are.

Short Term, Easy Fixes.

Throw Journal Entries added in the game automatically or at specific points, picking up certain books explain to us:

- How Emhyr is losing the war in detail and why is Radovid a tactical genius. We never see anything to showcase that.

- What happened to Anais and how Roche plans to resolve the issue of succession in Temeria.

- How does Dijkstra wins the war. ( He lacks Roche and his guerrilas and he doesn't have Radovid's tactical genius ) and how he even plans to take over Redania ( should be explained before we do Reasons of State ).

- What happened to the Order of the Flaming Rose and Siegfried. ( Preferably that most of the Order joined the Witch Hunters with Siegfried leading a small cadre of faithful knights loyal the original values of the Order )

- Why does Emhyr invade Skellige if he's losing the war on the continent, since it makes no military sense ( I can't think of any really good reason behind this decision and how to justify it in a way that doesn't make Emhyr an imbecile ).

- How Triss and Geralt broke up and what did Geralt do in the six months after Loc Muine. How did he even meet up with Vesemir and what happened to Vesemir, Lambert and Eskel between TW1 and TW3.

- Actual impact of Novigrad when you murder Radovid.

These may not seem like a lot but would add a very good deal of nuance to the story.

Long Term/Enhanced Edition fixes.

Obviously many of these are too much, actually scratch that way too much but then again I view it as wishlist then anything else.
- Everything that I listed in short term fixes but with actual dialogue exchanges in the game such as Geralt and Vesemir talking about how they met or Geralt and Zoltan chatting about the aftermath of Vergen etc. Better dialogue with Radovid where you can openly challenge him on the Witch Hunts. More dialogue with Emhyr, or if that's not possible ( due to the difficulty of getting Charles Dance ) then with Voorhis and Vattier du Rideaux who should be in the game.

- Have the assassination of Radovid take place directly after Deadly Plot. Deadly Plot has this beautiful set up in terms of convincing Geralt to finally take a stand. to FINALLY man the fuck up and do something for the world...and then nothing happens for hours, dozens even, until you get Phillipa. My point is that you should get an altered quest if you did Deadly Plot where you can kill Radovid, but if you don't do it then you get another chance where you can do it after you rescue Phillipa. If you kill Radovid then you just walk away, if you don't then things happen almost the same as they do...well with the exception of the conclusion.

- In line with my previous point remove that dumb choice where you either break Dijkstra's leg or you tell him about the political situation in the Empire, instead always getting the option to assassinate Radovid here, regardless of what you did after Deadly Plot. Phillipa is one of the most powerful mages in the north and she sits there while Dijkstra makes empty threats? He has no way of stopping her and he should know this. Instead give us a better conversation between Phillipa and Dijkstra where she gets involved in the assassination mission.

- Remove even the option of telling Dijkstra about Emhyr's situation and don't have him betray Roche. It's just stupid, can't be justified in any way. Instead Dijkstra's fate should be decided somewhere else, and certainly not 2 minutes after you just helped kill Radovid. You should have a final conversation with all of them where they reveal on what they plan on doing: Thaler and Roche planning on returning to Temeria to retake it from Nilfgaard while Dijkstra plans on using the time he has with the truce to stabilize Redania following Radovid's death while also preparing for inevitable continuation of the war.

- Have the option for Geralt to personally strike the final blow against Radovid. Not Phillipa. Also give us the option of walking back in the warehouse to hell Roche and co. that Phillipa knows everything after she gives us the ring. This should change the final scene with Radovid.

- Series of Quests involving Vattier du Rideaux that revolve around weakening but not destroying completely the political opposition of Nilfgaard in various ways in Act 2 and Act 3. Reasoning behind Geralt intervening is that the opposition wants to kill Emhyr and Ciri and put one more suitable on the throne, more suitable for them anyway.

- Preferably remove the Letho side quest as it really hurts Emhyr as a character who always keeps his word and instead involve him here through the entire quest chain or at the very least partially with the option of recruiting him for Kaer Morhen after doing some of the quests in the chain. Could perhaps use much of the existing quest, minus the ending encounter, as a start before Vattier reveals that it's all a public ploy that Emhyr needs to engage in so that he can dispel "rumors" that Nilfgaard was behind the assassinations. Anyway just don't have Emhyr betray Letho really.

- Related to my points fate of war should depend on the assassination of Radovid and on dealing with the opposition. Several options:

1) If Radovid is alive and opposition is intact then Roche, Thaler, Ves and Dijkstra try and kill Radovid but fail and are executed while in Nilfgaard the political elite turn on Emhyr and in the ensuing power vacuum Radovid is able to crush Nilfgaard and liberate large tracks of the North, but NOT all. Lyria or Temeria's former protectorates should remain under Nilfgaardian control as Voorhis is able to finally rally his armies as the new Emperor.

2) If Radovid is alive but the opposition weakened then Emhyr is able to crush the remaining political elite and Nilfgaard and then turn on Radovid. Dijkstra dies trying to kill Radovid but Roche, Thaler and Ves survive and manage to convince Emhyr to make Temeria a vassal in exchange for the guerrilla standing down. Emhyr agrees and manages to win the war but at a staggering price in terms of casualties for Nilfgaard.

3) If Radovid is dead but the opposition intact then Emhyr has the time with the temporary truce with Dijkstra to crush the domestic opposition but is unable to conquer Redania as Dijkstra manages to place himself firmly as ruler and strengthen the defenses on the Pontar. An uneasy ceasefire takes hold. For now. Temeria becomes a vassal of Nilfgaard.

4) If Radovid is dead and the opposition weakened then after the temporary truce ends Emhyr is able to continue his invasion after easily sweeping away the remnants of the political elite. Dijkstra fails to stabilize Redania after Radovid's death in time to able to resist Nilfgaard and it all falls under the rule of Emhyr, with the exception of Temeria which still becomes a vassal.

- Somewhat related to my points so far, but not necessarily. Ciri should always meet Emhyr as the scene is one of the best moments between Geralt and Ciri, but the decision on whether or not Ciri becomes empress should not be related to this meeting. Instead add a lengthy, optional, conversation between Geralt and Ciri similar to the one with Alvin in TW1 about what people with great power should do with it and about the role of a witcher in society. This should impact her decision somewhat but so should the war. With her leaning in favor or against becoming Empress depending on your decisions in the conversation but also on the outcome of the war. Have this dialogue reflected on both Witcher and Empress endings.

- Remove the scene where Geralt lies to Emhyr about Ciri in the Empress ending, and instead of replace it with a scene where Geralt tells Emhyr Ciri has no intention of becoming a ruler with Emhyr grudgingly accepting that and telling a surprised Geralt he never had any intention of forcing someone on a throne they don't want, as wishing to rule is necessary to be able to do it well. If Getting Charles Dance is not possible then just remove the scene and add more dialogue between Ciri and Geralt where this is reflected and also have it mentioned that Emhyr will pretend that Ciri is dead for her own sake.

- Related to all my previous political points and with regards with Ciri then If Radovid wins then she doesn't become Empress, if Nilfgaard barely wins after a brutal war or enters a Cold War with Dijkstra's Redania then she is less willing to become the successor of a brutal Emperor then she is if Nilfgaard wins more easily but she will still do so if Geralt convinced her that she would do more good as a ruler.

- Dialogue with Voorhis after meeting Emhyr to ask for aid at Kaer Morhen where he explains it would be close to impossible for Nilfgaard to aid anyway as Radovid's forces are too entrenched on the border. Also have Voorhis suggest Geralt recruit Letho as an alternative.

- Improved role for Letho at Kaer Morhen. He's literally the only person alive as a full witcher who fought the Wild Hunt and remembers everything. he should provide good insight into how you should properly fight them even if some, though not everyone, distrusts him. This is instead of his current role where he just spouts one liners....it's a major insult to the best character you've ever created to reduce him to that role.

- Better battle at Kaer Morhen with the fate of certain allies determined by how many people you brought: Lambert, Eskel along with perhaps Keira and Hjalmar's friends dying depending on how many allies you brought. Better gameplay overall instead of just "roll to X and then flip switch/close portal". Better companion AI and more damage on them, regardless of difficulty.

- Either bring Lambert and Eskel, along with Letho and Keira if available, in the final battle against the hunt or provide good explanations as to why they won't help because as it stands there is none, especially for Lambert and Eskel.

- Better handling of Eredin and the Wild Hunt. better final battle with more allies and more gameplay besides 2 running scenes to the bosses and a lot of cinematics. Especially handle Ciri taking on the White Frost moments after you kill Eredin better.

Again I view much this is list as a fantasy of mine, but I do consider at least some of the points reasonable ( like a quest chain involving dealing with the opposition, or at least ONE quest ). Of course actual writers should be able to implement this far better then suggested here by a random guy on the forum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom