[POLL] AI vs EyeCandy

+

What would you prefer the devs concentrate on if they are constricted by a platform ?

• Moar AI

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • Moar EyeCandy

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
Now it's what the devs said they have to make a choice and balance it all; even though they know what they are doing,
i think it might be an interesting topic for ppl to talk about. Or not ;p

Edit: its just about balance !! (ty @4RM3D)
Edit2= EyeCandy : Destructible environments; shaders; etc..

Last edited:
Actually it's an action game, so the only AI I'm concerned with is my allies AI (as they will probably do most in not all of the fights).

I don't know what exactly you meany by 'eyecandy' ..

But I'm more interested by an intelligent AI , be it for the mob or for our companions .

I would like to see an adaptive A.I. much like what the original FEAR inspired to create.

For enemies I want an A.I. which is going to watch my movements and study the decisions I make when battling it. It would be truly challenging if the A.I. could reasonably anticipate my use of a grenade or particular weapon mod and adapted its strategy accordingly to the shifting circumstances. I simply don't want a predictable A.I. as seen in many modern open world shooters - such as Far Cry 5 - which offers very little challenge and is too easy to outsmart.

For companions, I would simply love to see an A.I. which is capable more of simply attacking an enemy and making smart decisions based upon the situation. It would truly be a marvel if the companion makes a mistake it learns from it and tries a different tactic as opposed to simply being overwhelmed.

What I absolutely don't want is an atrociously bad companion A.I. as seen in Resident Evil 5 - a bullet whore completely oblivious to the multitude of various dangers surrounding it all the while in complete disregard of any potentially bad situation runs head first into every fight while acting as idiotic and wasteful with bullets as it is capable of being. It was almost as if there was an inside joke with the RE dev team so they made a running bet pool to see who could develop the most ignorant companion A.I. ever seen in a video game. Thanks for that Capcom.

I have faith in CD Projekt Red, I know a lot of fans are worried about this game being too ambitious, but they have shown they are a very talented team. I feel like they are the one studio that is truly capable of pulling off something truly amazing because I see it as more of an artistic passion for them and they aren't like other greedy commercialized studios - Bethesda, Bioware, EA, Ubisoft, Capcom - who only care about the bottom line or the next cash cow they can milk.

Both are important, a game is enjoyable when you are interested and engaged and want to continue and don't stop to think,
"combat is fun and enemies are smart but textures look flat or shadows reduce performance"
Gameplay should be fluid, constant, combat and eyecandy, a game is geat when you can't think of something else while playing, when you are totally immerse. just my opinion.

Both are important, a game is enjoyable when you are interested and engaged and want to continue and don't stop to think,
"combat is fun and enemies are smart but textures look flat or shadows reduce performance"
Gameplay should be fluid, constant, combat and eyecandy, a game is geat when you can't think of something else while playing, when you are totally immerse. just my opinion.
I agree and a very solid opinion. (y)

What i was thinking is will "i ever want to play this game several years down the line" ?
--> long projection i agree rofl

And actually if a game has good art direction I can enjoy it. That's the gameplay that counts the most for me.
I remember the old titles of which ppl said at the time "looks so good" and now they don't please anymore.
But classics are more than graphics although it counts yeah; I'd play ff7 again if i didnt know it so well,
and even then it wouldn't be displeasant.

The thing is we're at the end of a console generation so the direction is maybe unclear as there's not a lot of headroom
as the devs can do so much
edit: i just remembered that ff7 was considered the prettiest game when it launched ;p still it played great

Last edited:
Looking at the trailer, how much more eye candy do you want? Heh, AI, easy choice. However, it's not really a binary choice, like the devs have to drop one in favor of the other.
It's not a binary choice and one is taxing more the CPU side, while the other the GPU(there is an overlap but still) so I don't really understand the question. Still, graphics are at a very good level(and very good art direction) and I would be okay if we got what we saw in the demo and not upgraded graphics. Also, PC can have both so what you should be wishing for is a game that is very scalable, which is probably what we'll get.

This voting is so stupid because we don't know what the AI is going to be used for,

Is the AI going to be used to make a tree swinging a branch?
is the AI going to be used to make NPC mouth moving up and down?

what exactly is AI in this one topic. AI or "Actors" can be dead objects we don't see and take for granted but all these objects uses an AI of some sort.

Visualcandy is what I expect from any game.

AI, the game looked pretty freakin good as it was. I feel AI is one of the the few technical areas where we haven't progressed that much when it comes to video games.

AI has been getting little to no love for years, if a CDPR employee is reading this, please push for development of AI in your game - Smart enemy NPC, smart ally NPC, smart crowd AI, have some dynamics in the behavior of the people living in Night City, please.

Development doesn't work like that. CDPR has different teams working on different aspects of the game in parallel. The people who do the graphics work (levels, models, textures, etc) are not the people doing the programming. Even on the programming side, those that are building the AI will be in a different team from those working on the rendering pipeline (telling the graphics card what to draw and how to draw it).

As long as the ally bots/AI aren't like the ones in L4D2, then I'm happy.

I cannot count the amount of times I've been dragged away by a Smoker, only for the bots to stare at me and not do anything.

As far as the gunplay goes, like a few people on these forums, FEAR remains the gold standard in AI for me and I'd love to see it finally beaten. In particular, I liked how the squad AI would use cover when attempting to flank, and communicate their intentions and then visibly act on them (one replicant calling "flush him out" and then another lobbing a grenade for example). Rock Paper Shotgun had a pretty good run down on FEAR's AI last year.

Someone else mentioned the reflex boost-powerslide-shotgun samba - would be nice to see an AI that can counter that! I understand that CP2077 will be a RPG first and an FPS second but AI that can tie it's own bootlaces would greatly help immersion (IMHO of course).

Top Bottom