[POLL CONCLUDED] How do you like the new version of "Chippin' In" and why?

+

How do you like the new version of "Chippin' In" and why?

• I like the new 2019 version, because it fits my musical tastes better.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I like the new 2019 version, because it fits Silverhand and the world of Cyberpunk 2077 better.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • I liked the 2018 version better, because that one fit my musical tastes better.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • I liked the 2018 version better, because that one fits Silverhand and the world of CP77 better.

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • I've no strong opinions about this whatsoever. Could've played Beethoven's 5th for all I care.

Votes: 9 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What should I choose if I like 2018 version better because of my taste but also I think it fits to Johnny?

Last edited:
What should I choose if I like 2018 version better because of my taste but also I think it fits to Johnny?

Ive designed it so you’ll have to pick which is most important to you.
I feel it tells us more about people’s motivations.

I initially had a “love it for both taste and suitability with Silverhand” option, but with the amount of polarisation around the subject, I feared that people would only pick that option to show their hate/support in effort to upstage the other side.

Not saying *your* vote for that wouldn’t have been earnest, but I’m still challenging you to giving it a little more thought by making it a harder choice.

2018 ver is good when you're maybe taking a nice stroll on night city streets. We haven't heard much from the 2019 ver except for that tiny "screaming" section. And Refused can do more than that so let's just wait for the whole song.

Last edited:
Neither will make or break it for me, but I like heavier 2019 version a lot more. Besides it's strongly associated with Keanu reveal.

Overall 2019 version somewhat reminds me of Pantera of "Cowboys from Hell" or "Vulgar Display of Power" period. Or Sepultura's "Refuse/Resist". It's closer to my younger self's tastes, so it probably factors in.

Last edited:
New version just has that energy you know? It makes me feel like an amazing story is about to happen! :D

I don’t see how the two are connected. A movie trailer might feature a musical masterpiece but the movie turns out to be crap. Think DC movies.

I believe that the second version fits Johnny better, fits the world better, and fits the game better. It's the version I'd rather have in the game. The 2018 version is the one I'd rather have on my music playlist. I just like the style more. But I understand why they wouldn't be satisfied with it, and I understand why they'd remove it. There's also a possibility that they just never finished it beyond what we hear, in which case I understand even more. I just wish we got to hear a full version... maybe an mp3 shoved in the ARG somewhere? Wink wink?

The 2018 is far better than the 2019 version imo. It's much more mellow and forgiving on the ears lol.

2019 sounds like something an angst ridden teen would listen to
ffdgd.jpeg

Supposedly you can listen to the new version of “Chippin’ In” in its entirety on Spotify here. I can’t listen to it because Spotify doesn’t work in my country.

I guess now people can make a more informed opinion. Or is it only a 30 second snippet?

Supposedly you can listen to the new version of “Chippin’ In” in its entirety on Spotify here. I can’t listen to it because Spotify doesn’t work in my country.

I guess now people can make a more informed opinion. Or is it only a 30 second snippet?

Yeah it's on Spotify now... not my cup of tea. And this is what developers think Johnny used to sing? What are those lyrics? What happened to the lyrics from the P'n'P? Ok I like the instruments but the singing... bleh.

Well I gave it another go but sorry. I can't get into it. I can listen to almost everything. But this screaming is completely not my taste. And I'm really dissapointed with what happened to the original lyrics? Please tell me this is just some cover from some band in 2077 and not from Samurai.

Chrome in my bloodstream? Metal soul? Head to the wall? Nothing?

Last edited:

It's the full song.
I mean it's alright not really my kind of music but it fits the mood really well and is probably a better representation of chrome rock than 2018 version was.
Also the background track gives me very heavy DOOM 2016 vibes which is great.

For me Full version sounds much more Jane Addiction than RATM and definitly much more late 80s early 90s Alt Rock than Punk. Personally I like it Orginal was too much 1985 Rocky IV score to me

Last edited:
Poll's closed. Interesting!

57 voters total.
48 People have a stronger preference on the "Chippin' In" version used, 9 have no strong preference.

Of the people with a stronger preference:
60% prefer the old version.
40% prefer the new version.

Including those with no strong preference, it can be said that:
49% of people would at least not mind the new version.
67% of people would at least not mind the old version.

For those with a stronger preference:
65% have their preference because they prioritize suitability in the world of Cyberpunk 2077.
35% have their preference because they prioritize their own musical tastes.

Of the people who prioritize their preference over suitability in the world of CP77, the community is pretty much evenly split on whether the 2018 or 2019 version of "Chippin' In" is better.

Of the people who prioritize their preference on their own musical tastes, the old version is far more popular by 82% over 18% of these voters.

As said, I designed this experiment to prevent people from conflating their own musical tastes with what is suitable to Cyberpunk 2077. Had I given people AND/BUT questions, I fear that would've allowed bias or confusion to creep in and make results a lot more questionable. I stand by this decision because it has allowed us to discern at least one factor reliably: To see what is more important to the community - Musical Taste or Suitability.
CDPR has stated that they changed versions over suitability and with 65%, the community seems to agree that this is the most important aspect of the musical score. With the community being evenly split over the question of which version is more suitable, CDPR will do just as much harm as good as to the preferences of the community and both choices seem equally valid.

This of course ignores the fact that of the people with a stronger preference, 60% of people have a greater liking to the older version, compared to 40% of the new. However, if we include the voters with no strong reaction whatsoever as a buffer, it can be said that at least 49% of people wouldn't MIND the newer version.
And as to likability, this particular experimental design also prevents the poll from commenting on that. Within this experiment, I cannot be sure that people who voted for preferring the song over it's suitability, didn't do so ignoring their their own musical tastes or vice versa. For example: Someone who actually liked the 2018 version for their musical tastes, could still have voted for preferring the 2019 version for its suitability. The reverse is also possible, for people who who actually liked the 2019 version because it fit their musical tastes, but voted for the 2018 version over its suitability.
Personally I'd estimate that the latter would be rare, but as I cannot exclude the possibility without another experiment, this poll cannot accurately comment on that. While AND questions could have introduced bias, BUT questions perhaps, should have been included.

Last edited:

Sild

Ex-moderator
Within this experiment, I cannot be sure that people who voted for preferring the song over it's suitability, didn't do so ignoring their their own musical tastes or vice versa. For example: Someone who actually liked the 2018 version for their musical tastes, could still have voted for preferring the 2019 version for its suitability. The reverse is also possible, for people who who actually liked the 2019 version because it fit their musical tastes, but voted for the 2018 version over its suitability.

I'm impressed you picked up on that. Indeed. It would have given their choice further justification for lobbying it's inclusion. But as you elegantly pointed out, there's no way of telling motivation. 'twas a fun social experiment nonetheless.

Let me know if you would want the thread closed since it accomplished it's purpose (i a way?). But it's your thread, so if not, no problem :)

I'm impressed you picked up on that. Indeed. It would have given their choice further justification for lobbying it's inclusion. But as you elegantly pointed out, there's no way of telling motivation. 'twas a fun social experiment nonetheless.

Let me know if you would want the thread closed since it accomplished it's purpose (i a way?). But it's your thread, so if not, no problem :)

Thanks Sild! Just trying to exercise the part of my brain that I'd normally use within a lab: Trying to come up with a useful hypothesis and having as much control over variables as I can.

You can close it now, if you'd be so kind as doing that for me. I think the longer version of the song just having been posted might change people's minds and there's two thread out there anyway.

I think I'll bump up the old Chippin In thread by discussing the version that @BluPixel just posted. Nice find bud!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom