[poll] cp2077 cyberninja mechanics, multiplayer

+

multi choice: 1.keep bullet time in multiplayer? 2.bullet defense mechanics 3.which game fits better

• Total voters
if you wanna bring the sword on the futuristic gun fight, you surely need to know how to dodge bullets. talking about the cyberninja characters of course.

1592401837740.png

we could already see the bullet time mechanics used by V in order to dodge the incoming bullets:
cp2077 bullet dodge.gif

1. all seems fine, but how do you imagine it working in multiplayer? should the time slow down for all the players like in Killing Floor or should the bullet dodge be automatic for cyberninja (while sprinting)? or maybe in the multiplayer game, the bullet time mode would be replaced with long, quick dash, automatically getting close to the nearest opponents, while dodging their bullets without interfering with other player's time perception? how about Metal Gear Rising style bullets parrying with V's katana (or maybe chokuto), which would make the cyberninja's gameplay consistent between singleplayer and multiplayer, without interfering in other player's time perception. or maybe there would be place for all of them?

2. putting multiplayer aside, which bullet defense mechanic would you prefer to be the most important and utilize it in cp2077 when playing as cyberninja V: bullet dodging (slow motion) / auto bullet dodging (sprint) / bouncing the bullets off with sword / multiple ones

3. which game has the type of cyberninja gameplay you would like to see in cp2077?

Ghostrunner (2020):

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (2013):

pick both if you think that both of them has the elements of cyberninja gameplay you would like to see in cp2077. also feel free to mention other games in your posts here. mentioning the games, specify which gameplay mechanics fits cp2077 best, and which ones you would like to change and why.

Last edited:
I'm a big Overwatch guy so naturally I think Genji has the cleanest feeling "cyberninja" mechanics. Being able to deflect for a certain period of time and have to aim the bullets would be a nice mod for swords / katanas (which was already shown in a demo). Dash resets are also pretty fun.

I wasn't a big fan of the Ghostrunner demo. I think bullet time overall slows down a playstyle which feels better when you are going at a higher speed. Most recent game I can remember which had that was DOOM as a perk when you zoomed in with the heavy cannon to slow time and for me it takes me out of the experience. I probably won't be using Kerenzikov for that reason unless I get stuck on a higher difficulty or something

it's kinda irrelevant the reflex booster that gives bullet time is something even NPCs have and has been shown off as when they use it as a quick dash where they motion blur. so there already mechanics in place for it to be viable in multiplayer without changing any major coding.

Some type of dodge mechanic sounds most appropriate. In the context of MP I'd think some type of dash mechanic would fit best. Granted, if CP MP translates to little more than hardcore PVP FPS style mechanics I probably won't be interested in the MP. If I want that I'll play a pure hardcore PVP FPS style MP game.

Blocking a bullet with a sword sounds too comical :). Obviously, video game = not realistic. But.... I'm one of those people to question a sci fi TV show/movie when it goes off the rails with this sort of thing. At least if the setting is supposed to be reality. This type of stuff breaks the atmosphere IMO. In this case, a futuristic version of reality. The mechanics should at least try to make sense.

Dodging a bullet sounds... wrong... too. At least there you could rationalize it with extremely fast movement. As in, the person firing lost their ability to reliably track the target. This is how I interpret the first video.

I'd add, I wouldn't agree with the idea a melee weapon would have no chance against a firearm. That's only true if it's out in the open. Around a tight corner, hiding just inside a doorway, and otherwise forcing the encounter into very close range can be disadvantageous for the firearm.

I'll just say dodging, or deflecting bullets with swords, is silly and doesn't fit in a fiction setting.
so you say that Kerenzikov and other cyberware like it are silly and should be deleted from the world of Cyberpunk 2077? do you say that you should play as unaugmented human in cp2077?

Some type of dodge mechanic sounds most appropriate. In the context of MP I'd think some type of dash mechanic would fit best. Granted, if CP MP translates to little more than hardcore PVP FPS style mechanics I probably won't be interested in the MP. If I want that I'll play a pure hardcore PVP FPS style MP game.

Blocking a bullet with a sword sounds too comical :). Obviously, video game = not realistic. But.... I'm one of those people to question a sci fi TV show/movie when it goes off the rails with this sort of thing. At least if the setting is supposed to be reality. This type of stuff breaks the atmosphere IMO. In this case, a futuristic version of reality. The mechanics should at least try to make sense.

Dodging a bullet sounds... wrong... too. At least there you could rationalize it with extremely fast movement. As in, the person firing lost their ability to reliably track the target. This is how I interpret the first video.

I'd add, I wouldn't agree with the idea a melee weapon would have no chance against a firearm. That's only true if it's out in the open. Around a tight corner, hiding just inside a doorway, and otherwise forcing the encounter into very close range can be disadvantageous for the firearm.
but the devs already said that you will be able to play as cyberninja character and that they won't punish you for the character type you choose to play as. Kerenzikov already makes V able to dodge the bullets, moving around them with the speed of sound, giving V bullet time reflexes. why would V not be able to block bullets with katana when it seems to be totally in the realm of possibility when V has Kerenzikov? also why should cyberninja players be worse than gun players? because cyberware isn't realistic and shouldn't exist in the world of cyberpunk? ripping the door open or ripping off the sentry gun with cyberwared arms also isn't realistic in the same manner as using Kerenzikov cyberware. I mean I don't think Cyberpunk 2077 is a good game to play if you look for this kind of real world realism in combat.

Last edited:
I don’t know how did Rockstar Games figure out a way to make bullet time work in Max Payne 3’s multiplayer but I think it was a good solution since I never heard or read people complaining about the mechanic (disclaimer: I only tried the single player mode).

I think the way it was expressed in the earlier demo was a magnetic shield mod. Makes more sense than straight up reflecting it
Ummm bullets are made of lead, and sometimes copper. Neither is magnetic.
Not to mention that to deflect a bullet you need enough energy to overcome the bullets speed/inertia ... plan to carry a micro-fusion generator backpack?

Last edited:
Not to mention that do deflect a bullet you need enough energy to overcome the bullets speed/inertia ... plan to carry a micro-fusion generator backpack?

Sorry just a shield mod, I don't think they said magnetic.

Bouncing bullets off walls isn't overly realistic either, but it's a feature.

Not to mention that to deflect a bullet you need enough energy to overcome the bullets speed/inertia ... plan to carry a micro-fusion generator backpack?
while moving with speed of sound using Kerenzikov, V could dodge and deflect bullets without shield

Top Bottom