[poll] cp2077 display DPS accuracy

+

how accurate should cp2077's weapon display DPS be?

• it should take both crit chance and reload time into the measurement

• it should take crit chance into the measurement, but ignore reload time

• it should take reload time into the measurement, but ignore crit chance

• it should ignore both crit chance and reload time in the measurement

Results are only viewable after voting.
how do you think - will DPS rate take the crit chance and reloading time (and possibly other side things that affects the weapon's damage) into the measurement? if it doesn't, display DPS rates may be a big mess because of how weapons you spend a big chunk of time on reloading them instead of shooting (saw off shotguns, sniper rifles) or those that has low crit chance will have their display DPS way too high for their actual effective DPS and vice versa, resulting in players having to measure the DPS by themselves, which defeats the whole point of displaying the DPS and would mislead the players in choosing their weapons. i would like to know your thoughts on that.
dps.PNG

Last edited:
I tend to only use the DPS system for comparison to gauge how much different one weapon is to the other, so accuracy is not as important as consistency. Whatever system they use, it needs to be consistent throughout to make the comparisons meaningful. How "fast" I can kill something/someone is usually enough of an indicator of "improvement" so I don't really rely on entirely accurate representations of damage. Then again, I'm not really a min/max type of player.

I'm not really a min/max type of player.
^This is pretty much my entire opinion on DPS numbers. I was still rocking Iris as my sword 3/4 of the way through Blood and Wine even though it was super underpowered by then.

I tend to only use the DPS system for comparison to gauge how much different one weapon is to the other, so accuracy is not as important as consistency. Whatever system they use, it needs to be consistent throughout to make the comparisons meaningful. How "fast" I can kill something/someone is usually enough of an indicator of "improvement" so I don't really rely on entirely accurate representations of damage. Then again, I'm not really a min/max type of player.
so if you would have saw off shotgun where 95% of the time of using it is reloading and only 5% of it is shooting, but it has insanely high rate of fire, causing it to have 2 times higher display DPS than other shotgun that in fact takes only 5% of the shooting time to reload, however due to reload time only 5% of saw off's displayed DPS was an actual effective DPS, would you like to throw away the shotgun that has almost 10 times higher effective DPS because the game shows that the saw off has 2 times more of inaccurate DPS?
crit rate is also important for effective DPS. let's say that you have weapon with 100 flat DPS, but it has 50% crit chance that deals +50% damage. so taking the weapon's crit chance in the DPS measurement, it now raises to 125.

you see, the effective DPS is the one that shows you how fast you actually kill, so i don't think that inaccurate DPS would be very good for you if you want to compare weapons by it. inaccurate DPS will show you inaccurate killing time.

Last edited:
Vote "no" on DPS counter as well. I hope the combat leans heavier towards an action game than an MMO. If V shoot's someone in the head who isn't armored up/borged out, they should die, not shrug it off because an internal dice roll came up with a 1 instead of a 20.

^This is pretty much my entire opinion on DPS numbers. I was still rocking Iris as my sword 3/4 of the way through Blood and Wine even though it was super underpowered by then.

I'm fairly similar when playing single player RPGs. I tend to keep my characters equipped with the armor & weapons I think look best, damage output and protection are secondary concerns. In most games that is usually "good enough" to finish the game without issue, even if your character isn't performing at his or her maximum potential.

I save the min/maxing for MMOs where it is needed to compete against other players (PVP).

Last edited:
I save the min/maxing for MMOs where it is needed to compete against other players (PVP).

Pretty much. I'll gear for the difficulty I'm on so I can not-die, but after that what looks cool works fine.

An extra 2 DPS (or whatever) makes no difference outside a competitive environment with other people trying to get +3 DPS.

In an RPG, I see every death as a failure. Lack of DPS only matters if it gets me killed and generally, that so much less important than tactical awareness and timing.

I'm also on the "I could care less" list concerning DPS info.

It's not an MMO, there's no one to compare DPS stats with; it's not PvP, there's no one you need to out-DPS to win.

Whoah there. I need to out-deeps myself. Gotta hit those numbers, brah!

I'll join the "don't really care about DPS" club.

There are far more important things in a single-player RPG than how much damage you can deal and how fast. Even just when it comes to weapons. There's even such a thing as weapons being more effective than I'd like.

The only purpose for which I ever use the DPS counters in Witcher 3 is to see how much of a difference a skill makes. And while swords are obviously not guns it makes no difference. A weapon is a weapon.

And yes, I'll also use less-than-optimal gear if I prefer its look or some other characteristics to the most effective option(s) I would have available. There's no need to optimize for the sake of optimizing when it makes no in-game difference whether defeating enemy X takes five minutes, or fifteen minutes.

Then again, I really don't like guns so when/if I'm forced to use one I may go for the strongest one just so that I'll need to use it as little as possible. :p In which case DPS would very much matter, but I still wouldn't care about what it does or doesn't take into account because too many factors to consider for a mere tool.

Vote "no" on DPS counter as well.
sorry but there's no such option in the poll. also there's DPS counter already in the game and it's a poll about how accurate should it be. if you voted if it should exist or not, you voted in a different poll i guess, not this one.

dps.PNG

Last edited:
I'd rather it not calculate DPS, give me data on the per bullet damage & the rest of the info they supply (rate of fire, penetration, spread, ...), this way I can figure out my own dps calculations for specific tactical scenarios without having to figure out which of their assumptions don't fit my current scenario.

If it's going to be displayed as a metric for evaluating weapon effectiveness then miscellaneous attributes should be accounted for accurately. So, yes....

I'd say no for reload speed. I think DPS when firing the weapon is sufficient. Yes, reload speed may impact certain weapon DPS measurements. This is fine because DPS isn't the only relevant factor. Damage per hit is also important. I don't think you need to have the reload speed added into the calculation to easily judge weapon effectiveness either.

I don’t really like DPS counters. They always just remind me (underline the fact), that I’m playing a shooter.

In it’s place, if the guns caliber and type weren’t enough, I’d much rather see a semi-vague ”damage potential” with textual description - low, medium low, medium high... or something like that, that accompanies penetration and accuracy (which should be the most important stat) values.

Last edited:
If it's going to be displayed as a metric for evaluating weapon effectiveness then miscellaneous attributes should be accounted for accurately. So, yes....

I'd say no for reload speed. I think DPS when firing the weapon is sufficient. Yes, reload speed may impact certain weapon DPS measurements. This is fine because DPS isn't the only relevant factor. Damage per hit is also important. I don't think you need to have the reload speed added into the calculation to easily judge weapon effectiveness either.
reload speed doesn't affect only certain weapons, in fact it affects EVERY reloadable weapon's effective DPS. previously i just pointed out an extreme example so it's easy to see how inaccurate the DPS measurement is without reloading time, however most of the time it's not easy to compare which one of the two, same level weapons is having higher effective DPS without calculating it by yourself.

Last edited:
reload speed doesn't affect only certain weapons, in fact it affects EVERY reloadable weapon's effective DPS. previously i just pointed out an extreme example so it's easy to see how inaccurate the DPS measurement is without reloading time, however most of the time it's not easy to compare which one of the two, same level weapons is having higher effective DPS without calculating it by yourself.

I make an exception for reload speed because it makes sense to be behind cover when reloading. If you're unable to fire then standing out in the open while your reload completes is pretty stupid. So I don't think comparing a weapon doing 5 dps vs 10 dps, because the latter has twice the reload time, really works. Not unless you can time standing behind cover so it's exactly equal to the reload time. If you cannot do so the DPS value with reload speed included is wildly inaccurate.

I'd say in a lot of cases DPS value is an approximation at best anyway. The only purpose it serves is to provide a way to evaluate weapon A vs weapon B. For doing so it would be relevant to include most miscellaneous variables in the calculation. I don't think reload speed is one of the necessary variables to include. For the reasons stated above.

I make an exception for reload speed because it makes sense to be behind cover when reloading. If you're unable to fire then standing out in the open while your reload completes is pretty stupid. So I don't think comparing a weapon doing 5 dps vs 10 dps, because the latter has twice the reload time, really works. Not unless you can time standing behind cover so it's exactly equal to the reload time. If you cannot do so the DPS value with reload speed included is wildly inaccurate.

I'd say in a lot of cases DPS value is an approximation at best anyway. The only purpose it serves is to provide a way to evaluate weapon A vs weapon B. For doing so it would be relevant to include most miscellaneous variables in the calculation. I don't think reload speed is one of the necessary variables to include. For the reasons stated above.
even if you are assuming that the enemies player will be fighting with will not rush him down or that the player will not choose bullet dodging playstyle over conventional shoot and cover playstyle, reload time still plays a big role. even if they are not rushing the player down, they will still be trying to flank player's position, and the time when he's reloading the weapon is a best time for them to do that. player that has high effective DPS will be more likely to counter getting flanked simply by killing the enemies quicker than player who struggles with killing them in time because he ignored reloading time in measuring DPS and gets flanked by enemies while he reloads because his weapon's mag ran out of ammo before he could kill the closest enemies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom