[poll] cp2077 multiplayer lifespan - what will happen after the shut down?

+

what do you think would be the best conclusion after official cp2077 servers shut down?-multi choice

• it should be impossible to play multiplayer with vanilla cp2077 after the official servers shut down

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
here's a thread little more about far future of cp2077:
how do you think - will cdpr have their own servers for cp2077 multiplayer or will they be rented, and which option would make the servers stay up for the longer amount of time? will vanilla cp2077 show multiplayer servers made by community (like tf2) or allow playing multiplayer with VPNs/virtual LANs after the official servers shut down? if the players would have to get modded version of cp2077 to find and join the community servers instead of having access to them from the vanilla game, it would shorten the lifespan of the cp2077's multiplayer.
i would like to know your thoughts on that.

Last edited:
I need to know what type of multiplayer it is before I can vote in this, but I'll give a few thoughts.

If it's co-op, there's no need for official servers. Just go the Divinity Original Sin 2 route and opt for peer-to-peer connections.

If it's GTA Online-like (YUCK, no thanks), well, a shutdown is a shutdown. There's nothing anyone can do about it. All of your content and progress will be lost, permanently. Ideally, the cosmetics at the very least could transfer over to the singleplayer game.

Dedicated servers are a good idea, but again, if it's like GTA Online, that's not going to be on the table for CDPR. The reason GTA Online does not have them is that Rockstar wants 100% control over the online portion of its games, because they want to consistently monetize the game and ensure nobody is getting a legup (Even if it's only in a private server). If people are just cheating in gold for themselves and their friends in a private server, that's potential money Rockstar has lost.

If it's co-op, there's no need for official servers. Just go the Divinity Original Sin 2 route and opt for peer-to-peer connections.
i think that cdpr is planning something that needs some bigger servers since they want to monetize the multiplayer to keep them up

Short answer, I have no idea. To be honest, I don't see much point in speculating. Regardless.... Let's speculate.

The type of multiplayer offered is a pretty big question mark. Are we talking small group multplayer? MMO style, throw a ton of players onto a dedicated server? A more moderate scale in between? What game types will be available, if applicable? I'd say small group co-op is the best fit. An example game would be something like NWN, once upon a time.

In regards to who controls the servers.... I'd think placing this burden on players would suffice. I'd assume it's considerably cheaper to make players function as the "server" or "host". In this case the developer providing vs renting dedicated servers is a moot point. Even if that question were relevant it's impossible to say which is better without a wealth of inside information.

I'd say small group co-op or a handful of players arbitrarily thrown into the same game world, with no knowledge of each others activities until bumping into one another, works for game types. I don't think death match style game modes fit well with this type of game. If I wanted FPS focused game play I'd play a FPS. Not a RPG pretending to be one (or the inverse, which is worse).

Slap some purchasable cosmetic/vanity items into the mix so people can pimp out their virtual characters in these small scale games and call it a day. There probably won't be any shortage of ways to monetize the game in this fashion.

Lastly, I hate to nitpick and go off-topic a bit but lumping VPN's and VLAN's together in the same breath rubs me the wrong way :). They're different animals, despite any perceived similarities in function or nomenclature. Particularly on the configuration side of things (one is a hamster and the other is a t-rex... going with the animal analogy).

I am very excited for the single player aspect of the game, but some ideas popped into my head that I'm sure cdpr have already discussed but here they are anyway.

**Cyber Agents** each game mode, (besides malware) you can pick from an assortment of Agents each of which comes from the existing cyberpunk universe. They each have a certain look and set abilities that are complimented from the single player game. Passive, and two main abilities. Some have more health, some can go invisible for a short time, others have beserk mode that sort of thing. Releasing new Agents every so often, that have differing abilities. Start off with a couple unlocked but by playing earn points to unlock others.

**Multiple revolving modes** each of which can be played joined as random or you can go in with a team (esports!?)

*Capture the node*- 2 teams of 10, with multiple maps of the differing parts of the city two teams try to capture eachothers glowing node. Each team is comprised of preset cyberpunks (Cyber Agents)each with set abilities. Think league of legends champions that have a distinct look an certain skills.

*Malware*- 10 player, similar to assasins Creed multiplayer, this is a living breathing cyber arena with NPCs, your job is to rack up the most kills while blending into the environment to be successful. In this game mode you can choose from multiple abilities to customize, giving multiple facets for play.

*Robattle Royal* 24 player, look for supplies (ammo, weapons, armor). Using your Cyber Agent (set abilities) be the last to survive. Single player, duo, or trio.

*Creative* players get to build using map tools their own map. Can set the rules and environment to make climbing maps, arenas, or anything they desire (Halo forge)

**Monetization** it's ok to want to make money for the hard work you do, but never lose sight of doing it the right way. Players love to earn rewards for being dedicated (playing) and for doing well. But the rewards should be cosmetic, Apex legends has the right idea, earn skins, even new Agents, but also have the option to buy. From Cyber Legends skins to weapon skins if you make a good polished product people will pay and keep coming back. Also making quality game modes can add an esports scene which is always a great way to get some extra cash and keep the game going for multiple years.

Anyway these are just my I can't sleep ideas, I am sure cdpr already has an idea of what they are going to do but I thought I'd put the ideas out into the void of the internet hoping someone sees and puts me on a creative team so I can quit teaching. Goodluck cdpr we are all rooting for you, you are one of the good ones.

Multiplayer. Dunno. Don't care.
Why do anyone even think about the far future of the feature that will not be in the game for some time after the release? :)
But if somebody like MP feature, I wish them to be able to enjoy it indefinitely.

Depends I suppose, on what kind of game the multiplayer is?

If it's an arena shooter or similar, then dedicated servers are a must.

But, a thought occurs. 2077 is an RPG, what if the multiplayer is also a RPG. Not necessarily a full MMO, but something more akin to Destiny?

Given how financial markets have a rigid gentleman sausage for SaaS, a well designed coop FPRPG would be the thing to make.

Is this really a question? Why shutdowns even a thing these days? Can a dev have some decency to implement dedicated servers at least just before shutdown for those few still interested?

Is this really a question? Why shutdowns even a thing these days? Can a dev have some decency to implement dedicated servers at least just before shutdown for those few still interested?
Servers cost money to run/upkeep. This is not something a dev has any control over, it's a corp level decision.

Unlike some (many?) I don't expect multi-player to be some sort of mini or full MMO but rather a co-op with a few friends thing. That being the case there's no reason CDPR needs to operate servers in the first place, thus no shut down issues to deal with.

Servers cost money to run/upkeep. This is not something a dev has any control over, it's a corp level decision.

Unlike some (many?) I don't expect multi-player to be some sort of mini or full MMO but rather a co-op with a few friends thing. That being the case there's no reason CDPR needs to operate servers in the first place, thus no shut down issues to deal with.
I sincerely hope you're right about the co-op thing.

That would be my ideal multiplayer mode, and would actually add to my experience rather than detract from it.

Problem is, what sort of return on their investment are they getting from that? None, really. Not unless it's a paid DLC, which is probably the best way to handle it (since there are no servers to worry about, you have no ongoing costs).

I think CDPR is trying to be much more "ambitious," sadly. Which probably means something akin to GTA Online. I very much hope I'm wrong.

Problem is, what sort of return on their investment are they getting from that? None, really. Not unless it's a paid DLC, which is probably the best way to handle it (since there are no servers to worry about, you have no ongoing costs).

I think CDPR is trying to be much more "ambitious," sadly. Which probably means something akin to GTA Online. I very much hope I'm wrong.
Good points. And I'm afraid you're probably correct, but, no offense, I really hope you're not.

(( Not that I personally plan to do any multi-player. In an FPS game I'm a liability not an assent to a team. ))

First I will worry about getting to the start of MP before I worry about the moment it gets stomped out. Sounds like a long time somewhere in the future.

Corp level decision that goes against CDPR's pro consumer attitude. A pro consumer attitude is letting players create their own lobbies on their own dedicated servers. If not day one, then not long before shutting down their own servers.

Even Activision lets players create their own lobbies in Call of Dooty WW2 from the get-go.

Top Bottom