POLL:did u get retail or digital copy of witcher 2?

+
Sheylia said:
I loved the game to bits and figured I HAD to support a company like that so I ended up buying Witcher 2 & 1 + all the available books and I will 100% be buying Witcher 3 as well.
Good man! +1

But if you think about it, if demo version would be released on Steam that would help some people to make a choice instead of pirating the game and then thinking about buying it.
So I hope if TW3 ever comes out to all 3 platforms demo should be created and released on PSN,XBL and Steam.

Anyway...
Personally I bought GOG version since they offered pre-download option few days before the release and also since post man always comes late to my place. I hate that when I order some games or other media :mad:

Megakoresh said:
Steam here. Did you know BTW that The Witcher 2 is the most pirated game in the last 3 years? I was pretty much shocked when I first saw this news. Its fn terrible!!!
One of the best games with the best developer\publisher looses so much to piracy. No wonder it didn't sell a million copies. I think at least 1 million was lost to piracy because even in Finland, where piracy is extremely low, every second person I know has played the game, but didn't pay for it.
Absolutely terrible. CDP needs to do something about it. Does the RED engine support some simple multiplayer? I think coop arena would do the trick nicely to get those ungrateful asses off the piratebay.

Which is why people who pirate wont ever buy games. I always hear the excuse "if PC games were made for PC and not crappy ports I'd buy them" well Witcher 2 wasn't a port. Such a shame really. I don't pirate games but I mean I can understand pirating a game like say From Dust because Ubisoft has burned PC users in the past and quite frequently really but CDProjekt has done nothing but done right by the PC community.

Megakoresh said:
Steam here. Did you know BTW that The Witcher 2 is the most pirated game in the last 3 years? I was pretty much shocked when I first saw this news. Its fn terrible!!!
Do you have a source for that?

One of the best games with the best developer\publisher looses so much to piracy.
I don't believe in that. People who pirate the game and don't buy afterwards, because they feel it is worth it, would not have bought it anyway, even if there wasn't the possibility to pirate. But: at least they talk about the game and might even advertise it that way and score a purchase here and there. That TW2 is pirated a lot mainly shows that everyone wants to play the game. Which helps with the long term sales.

Luckily, CDPR don't believe in DRM and stripped it in the first patch, but even if they didn't, doesn't make any difference for piracy. Fun fact: the pirate version was of course the retail version with cracked DRM, not the DRM-free GoG version. So hilarious.

DelightfulMcCoy said:
I don't believe in that. People who pirate the game and don't buy after wards, because they feel it is worth it, would not have bought it anyway, even if there wasn't the possibility to pirate. But: at least they talk about the game and might even advertise it that way and score a purchase here and there. That TW2 is pirated a lot mainly shows that everyone wants to play the game. Which helps with the long term sales.

There are people in countries like mine, that only less than 1% of gamers actually buy the game both pirate it first or just buy for the fandom,
BUT the 99% rest, Don't buy ANY game no matter how good the games are and I'm sure almost all the rest of SE Asian countries are like that. They even have the nerve to find a way to crack the DLC on some other games. They also think that people who buy legal retail only waste money while the buyer like me look down upon them... They are the stupid little reason why imported-game stores are so rare while the pirate stores and sites are so wide open and no one arrest them... even in some big IT mall, there will be no less than 10 pirate game and program stores... It's just sad...

I pirated the game a few months ago. I stated two things: the game was wonderful and it wouldn't run with a playable fps rate in my computer at the moment. So I saved money, upgraded the computer and finally bought the game three weeks ago (GOG version in order to send all of my coin to CDPR :3 ).

It's a mistake to consider that a pirated game equals to a lost sale. That is, simply, not true. In many cases people support games/developers they like after pirating. In most cases, people would not buy the game anyway, even if they were incapable of pirating it.

I pre-ordered the game via GOG - there was no question about it. Best digital retailer in existence, and it's directly tied in with the game's creators, which means fewer middle-hands that steal their money.

Megakoresh said:
I call bull on that. Feel free to share with us your source, but it's completely impossible to 'measure' how many illegal downloads of a game actually constitutes a lost legal sale - plus, as DelightfulMcCoy pointed out, if the pirate option didn't exist, it's not like they would necessarily buy the game, anyway. Any source who claims they can somehow know this, is probably out for propaganda reasons and I would take any such reports with a large scoop of salt.

pbpoovanna said:
i got retail copy with map,cursed coin and what not
this is why I prefer retail copies!! so u people with the digital copies do u get all this map,coin guide etc shipped to u ?

Nice man..

I actually got the digital release from Amazon. I was able to get it for 30 bucks though, now it's 50.

Not sure how but I suppose it was just a promo day, or promo for the game so I didn't hesitate to buy it. I wanted the retail but saving 20 dollars and being able to download it overnight seemed much more convenient =(.

pbpoovanna said:
I pirated the game a few months ago. I stated two things: the game was wonderful and it wouldn't run with a playable fps rate in my computer at the moment. So I saved money, upgraded the computer and finally bought the game three weeks ago (GOG version in order to send all of my coin to CDPR :3 ).

It's a mistake to consider that a pirated game equals to a lost sale. That is, simply, not true. In many cases people support games/developers they like after pirating. In most cases, people would not buy the game anyway, even if they were incapable of pirating it.

Lol way to go... Great way to get banned from a forum. Just a tip... If your going to steal a Companies property you might want to keep that to yourself especially while your posting in their forum?

Glad you bought the game, but still shouldn't talk about piracy.

yuikami said:
There are people in countries like mine, that only less than 1% of gamers actually buy the game both pirate it first or just buy for the fandom,
BUT the 99% rest, Don't buy ANY game no matter how good the games are and I'm sure almost all the rest of SE Asian countries are like that. They even have the nerve to find a way to crack the DLC on some other games. They also think that people who buy legal retail only waste money while the buyer like me look down upon them... They are the stupid little reason why imported-game stores are so rare while the pirate stores and sites are so wide open and no one arrest them... even in some big IT mall, there will be no less than 10 pirate game and program stores... It's just sad...

Yup, same (or worse) here. In the fairly large city where I live, there's one shop that sells legit software. I don't think that they do a lot of business, but enough to survive as they are the only one. If they're not carrying a particular title, or if they've run out of stock, digital purchase becomes the only viable option. Importing as an individual is extremely expensive and/or slow unless you can get a friend to buy it for you and ship.

Anyway, the only physical item I would drool over is the medallion. I still may try eBay or similar for that.

Soilborn88 said:
Lol way to go... Great way to get banned from a forum.[...]still shouldn't talk about piracy.

Yeah well, I looked for a 'forum rules' thread (there is none unless I'm mistaken) and read the registration terms. Couldn't find any warning against discussing piracy. Furthermore: several people talked about it before me. Have you any specific reason for quoting me alone?

Anyway, if this is my last post... Though brief, it has been nice to meet you all, lol

vermeer said:
I doubt CDPR (or the moderators) would want anyone banned for admitting that they pirated the game, but then figured it was so great that they wanted to buy it properly instead. Plenty of people use the piracy option as the new form of demonstration for a new game, and I see no harm in that. Again, 'influential' people and companies who go out and claim that one pirated download equals one lost sale, are either ignorant and stupid, or out to create propaganda for their own greedy cause.

Sure, there will always be people who feel they shouldn't have to pay for anything, and that's unfortunate; but it's not like we can get rid of piracy. All actions - and I mean every single one of them - that have been taken in a vain attempt to stop piracy, have done nothing but harm the legit, paying customers. If anything, this desperate flailing around, trying to catch one-dollar bills in a wind tunnel while wearing a blindfold, has caused more people to turn to piracy. We don't want to have to deal with some intrusive DRM that forces you to be connected to the internet for constant check-ups, in a single-player game - or some kind of annoying, over-the-top registration feature, limited number of installs of a game, or what have you. It's high time for game companies (and film, literature, music companies etc.) to realise this, and stop wasting so much time and resources on a cause that was doomed to fail from the very start. Piracy has been around since forever, long before the internet saw the light of day, and the same people who propagate against it, seem to think this is some kind of new phenomenon; once again proving their utter ignorance and failure to understand how things work.

My point being, I think CDPR is the type of company that has realised this a long time ago, and they will do what they can to make their products free of useless, harmful DRM, and I also think they would be last company to want to see a user admonished or even banned for admitting to have pirated a game. Especially if they tell the story as a means to show how much they think of the game, that they almost instantly went out to purchase the game legally, once they saw how great it was. If you think about it, game companies who are so completely panicked about piracy, must feel pretty insecure about their own product. Maybe they know that what they've created isn't really worth our money?

That's what the demo-game is for. Let people test the demo game first for new system and such... but if they still turn to piracy with the excuse of testing the whole game... I just don't know anymore... =w=|||

I think the whole piracy problem is a moral issue of the consumer here. The same deal as people creating a piece of beautiful artwork then someone snatch it and sell it... it's just that sad...

DRM is obviously useless, I agree completely. It has NEVER stopped anyone from pirating the game.
I have to disagree on the "Pirate then buy" statement though.
The sad fact is that these 10% of people who pirate the game and then buy it are the ones writing this on the forum. The rest 90% are merely not stupid enough to say: "I pirated the game! Problem?" here.
I am aiming to create a video game studio when I finish university, and what I can say now, based on my researches, is that the best way for any game on any console(PC or Mac or CrapBox 720 or even Pony Slaystation 433) to fight piracy is by putting in a multiplayer. No matter if it's not very entertaining or if it's not even important the fact of it's existence is a great motivation for people to delete their torrent and go and actually buy the game.
Just compare the comments on games with MP on torrent trackers with SP only: there are a lot of people saying "Ok, good game, Ima buy it now to try out the multiplayer".
There are actually few people like me who can say "Ok, good game, gotta buy it now to support game developer"(I did it with Alice: Madness Returns cuz it seemed way too overpriced).
I would recommend for CDPR to add a simple survival coop MP to TW2 with several witchers\mages just fighting off monsters. I think that would do the trick if their engine actually supports netcode. Thing is: 2-4 player coop doesn't require devs to buy servers and maintain them.

most of my friends dont buy cause they cant afford games and hence they pirate it !! they gasped and gaped at my copy of witcher 2 and called me flithy rich ba.... though i am not at all rich and i saved 3 months worth of pocket money

pbpoovanna said:
most of my friends dont buy cause they cant afford games and hence they pirate it !! they gasped and gaped at my copy of witcher 2 and called me flithy rich ba.... though i am not at all rich and i saved 3 months worth of pocket money

Just like my friends... ;_; They said it in sarcastically way, too. And it always tick me off when they said "Pst why by expensive game, imma just DL them online~" cheap arse ba...

Admitting piracy is not forbidden in the forum, especially when said that you purchased the game the same. Advocating piracy is. That will be censored and guilty users banned.

There are no excuse for pirates. Games are not a primal necessity like food, clothes and water. People could do like some buyers do, sparing money for games. Or wait until the price lows down and recently, it lows down very soon. Any other excuse for supporting piracy (piracy side effect ergo buying the game) are just idiocy and an insult for developers and honest buyers.

Luckly, registration will be restored sooner or later as well as our previuos rules: no registering, no tech help, no savegame market.

About forum rules they are being redone for the new forum and piracy will be one of the topics discussed .

Just so we`re clear on the issue of piracy . In this forum the promoting or advocating of piracy in ANY form of media...be it books , music , movies , etc. is strictly forbidden .

yuikami said:
Just like my friends... ;_; They said it in sarcastically way, too. And it always tick me off when they said "Pst why by expensive game, imma just DL them online~" cheap arse ba...

I had that situation with my boyfriend who kept pushing me to have my Xbox rebuilt so it would read illegal game copies, the only game he did buy was Halo for the online modes - I laughed SO hard when I found out he got banned from Xbox live for playing illegal games. :p

"Brb playing online on my legit Xbox dear!"

yuikami said:

I get the same, to be honest. I guess it's down to priorities. The friend I was with when I got TW2CE rolled her eyes at me for spending money on gaming again - nevermind the fact she'd just made a few insane purchases in a nearby clothing store :p

Top Bottom