(Poll) Do you expect a new expansion this year

+

Do you expect a new expansion this year?

• Yes

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • It’s possible, but unlikely

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I think it is likely, but not definite

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
They have literally said there will be one... multiple times.

Given that it is already November and we don’t so much as have a countdown clock, does it still seem definite? Wasn’t it also said that they don’t want to just drop expansions without hype again after one of the previous ones? You could be right and they could still be on track, but it seems unlikely by the end of the year.

Given that it is already November and we don’t so much as have a countdown clock, does it still seem definite? Wasn’t it also said that they don’t want to just drop expansions without hype again after one of the previous ones? You could be right and they could still be on track, but it seems unlikely by the end of the year.
That would only be true if it were already the middle of December. There's more than 7 weeks left in 2020. That is plenty of time to have the card reveals, assuming that the expansion has a mid to late December release.
Post automatically merged:

And technically, the Gwent year ends in March or something, so they still have that to fall back on; although, doing so would probably upset a lot of people.

There's more than 7 weeks left in 2020.
Exactly. There is no reason to not expect an expansion this year.

Slama also said, in a stream chat not long ago, that he hopes the expansion will make up for the lack of a balance patch this month -- which clearly indicates a December release.

Unless the game is cancelled there will be a release during the holiday window because that is a prime profitability window for the industry. The better question is whether or not there will be a 3rd expansion in the Year of the Wererat, which is highly unlikely. You can tell from the cavernous amount of empty space in the Reward book the initial plans were much bigger than what has manifested.

Also, there are few healthy CCGs that run on 2 expansions a calendar year. Hopefully they can release 3 expansions next year before the inevitable talk of retiring collections occurs in year 4 or 5.

DRK3

Forum veteran
The devs have stated multiple times there would be 2 expansions this year, on the last stream Slama did mention they were working on it, the only way it wont be released this year if its delayed because of some major issues.

I will go the next step and say, with 99% certainty, it will be released on the week of 7-11th of December, most likely on the 7th, Monday, immediately after the World Masters Season #2.

I will go the next step and say, with 99% certainty, it will be released on the week of 7-11th of December, most likely on the 7th, Monday, immediately after the World Masters Season #2.
But the current season ends on the 8th, which means there will be a patch then.
(That date has been my release date guess since the 7.4 News post appeared.)

DRK3

Forum veteran
But the current season ends on the 8th, which means there will be a patch then.
(That date has been my release date guess since the 7.4 News post appeared.)

I forgot that, but yeah that probably means its on the 8th, almost all expansions gets released on the day of seasons transition. Also, i noticed more updates on tuesdays than mondays, which supports the 8thDec. guess. That leaves Monday for final adjustments, possibly one final devstream before launch.

Well there is a countdown now, so i guess we are on the tight path.

That is a good sign. Yet the countdown ends on the 17th and the season ends on December 8th. It is possible they shorten the leak/hype period, I would be somewhat surprised by that. Then again the countdown didn’t need to resolve before the season ended if the intent was a January 2021 expansion. I guess we need to wait and see.

That is a good sign. Yet the countdown ends on the 17th and the season ends on December 8th. It is possible they shorten the leak/hype period, I would be somewhat surprised by that.
I think Slama's Twitter post makes it pretty obvious that the next expansion will be revealed when the timer runs out and 3 weeks between the trailer and release are imho more than enough time for Card Reveals and selling pre order packs.

Last edited:
I think Slama's Twitter post makes it pretty obvious that the next expansion will be revealed when the timer runs out and 3 weeks between the trailer and release are imho more than enough time for Card Reveals and selling pre order packs.

We agree the countdown is for an expansion reveal. That isn’t really at issue. The issue is whether they would shorten the lead in period. It is of course also possible they release it in the middle of next season (I find this highly unlikely.) Ultimately you could be right that they go with 3 weeks, or they could extend it to early January and try to use the holiday season to sell the new bundles. We will know tomorrow.

Unless the game is cancelled there will be a release during the holiday window because that is a prime profitability window for the industry. The better question is whether or not there will be a 3rd expansion in the Year of the Wererat, which is highly unlikely. You can tell from the cavernous amount of empty space in the Reward book the initial plans were much bigger than what has manifested.

Also, there are few healthy CCGs that run on 2 expansions a calendar year. Hopefully they can release 3 expansions next year before the inevitable talk of retiring collections occurs in year 4 or 5.

Probably there are just two years in one page. To my mind producing such reward trees is not that much work. The big work is designing new cards and making sure that everything works smoothly with them.

Probably there are just two years in one page.
Nope. Slama has said on a stream that the Rat page will receive seven more trees, and there is also written confirmation that multiple trees will come this year still (though it's not clear whether he means 2020 or the year of the Rat).

Every expansion so far has come with at least one tree, so this next one will no doubt be the same in that regard.

DRK3

Forum veteran

Its interesting that Slama has revealed the acronym for the next expansion... well, not reveal exactly but put up 4 options where one will definitely be the real one.

I had already thought about this before, trying to guess the name of the expansion, and the 2 words i found most likely to be part of the expansion's name are 'Witcher' and 'Alzur'... 3 of those 4 options fit my guess (wouldnt it be funny if now the real one was 'MS' and i was completely wrong? :shrug:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom