[POLL] Does finishing quests feel rewarding to you?

+

Does finishing quests feel rewarding to you?

• Yes.

Votes: 40 20.3%
  • Yes, but not as much as the quests in TW3

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Yes, but only the main quests, and not as much as in TW3

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Yes, but sometimes they don't.

Votes: 34 17.3%
  • No, but sometimes they do.

Votes: 40 20.3%
  • No, they don't feel rewarding

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • No, I don't even recognize when a quest has been finished.

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Yes, but rather the side quests.

Votes: 13 6.6%
  • I don't play Cyberpunk 2077

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • No, but the game rewards you in another way.

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In TW3 [The Witcher 3] there was this epic "AAAAH" sound when completing a quest.
It was a clear sign for ending a quest and getting rewarded.

In Cyberpunk I'm still early in the game, close to level 4. I just finished the first braindance. But so far, any of the side quests don't motivate me.

Do you think that the quests in Cyberpunk 2077 feel rewarding?

PS. I'd like to avoid discussing any other issues with this game. My interest is purely about the quest design.

@PaweSasko / PawełSasko / Paweł Sasko

Last edited:
I only truly felt completely underwhelmed/disappointed in quest rewards for two quests...

Beat on the Brat and the Champ Fight line. 4k or 8k eddies.
and
Finishing Cyberpsycho line... Nothing.

My answer would be yes, but moreso the side quests and gigs, especially when you discover something outside of the objective or brief and are like "AHA!" and it opens up different dialogue options or outcomes than you expected going in.

There is a real sense of achievement when you go and look up how people online finished those quests and are like "..but you missed all of this other stuff."

Last edited:
My answer would be yes, but the side quests and gigs, especially when you discover something outside of the objective or brief and are like "AHA!" that opens up a different dialogue option or outcome than you expected going in.

There is a real sense of achievement when you go and look up how people online finished those quests and are like "..but you missed all of this other stuff."

This is the same for me. If I can find more info when scrounging around during a side Gig or Main Gig, it adds a LOT more context to the situation and often opens up different dialogue options. It took me 5 hours of gameplay to figure this out when I was playing the prologue.

Since then, I spend a lot of time exploring while doing side Gigs to see if there are other pieces of information or something that adds more to the Gig than just going straight for the objective. It definitely upped my satisfaction levels with them overall.

In TW3 [The Witcher 3] there was this epic "AAAAH" sound when completing a quest.

I'm so very glad this doesn't happen and that the reward sound is minor.

In Cyberpunk I'm still early in the game, close to level 4. I just finished the first braindance. But so far, any of the side quests don't motivate me.

TBH try not to think about it as "do this quest and forget about it", there are many interconnected stories going on outside of the main quest. So much depth of information to explore and learn about that feeds into various things. Some things are "1 and done" some things are "oh this tiny side quest you thought didn't matter is connected to a lot of other stuff". Listen to the news, listen in on NPC's conversations - there is a lot going on and it isn't all about V's immediate story.

Keep in mind some of the best items in the game can just be found, the "quest" is purely you deciding to look in corners everywhere.

So the actual quest rewards are less about the "physical" reward and more about uncovering the "truth" of what is happening.

Finishing Cyberpsycho line... Nothing.

Several quests end in a way that suggests they exist for future expansion of the game.

The Cyberpsycho one even says "for now" in its ending dialogue.

I'm so very glad this doesn't happen and that the reward sound is minor.

TBH try not to think about it as "do this quest and forget about it", there are many interconnected stories going on outside of the main quest. So much depth of information to explore and learn about that feeds into various things. Some things are "1 and done" some things are "oh this tiny side quest you thought didn't matter is connected to a lot of other stuff". Listen to the news, listen in on NPC's conversations - there is a lot going on and it isn't all about V's immediate story.

Keep in mind some of the best items in the game can just be found, the "quest" is purely you deciding to look in corners everywhere.

So the actual quest rewards are less about the "physical" reward and more about uncovering the "truth" of what is happening.

Several quests end in a way that suggests they exist for future expansion of the game.

The Cyberpsycho one even says "for now" in its ending dialogue.
Thanks, I've added this option: "No, but the game rewards you in another way / many other ways."
[This option will be mentioned but not counted into the final score, as it's a yes-and-no.]

Last edited:
So, can I get a clarification: Do you mean materially rewarding, or story-wise rewarding??
I assume it's the latter for now, since that's what I bought the game for in the first place. Stories.

I voted no. The game feels consistently underwhelming. Your choices in main and side quest bring little impacts, and most quests don't take advantage of RPG's interactive nature to let you decide how a small story concludes. The only redeeming quality is as @Obsidian_Crane points out, hints to future DLCs. But then it says a lot about how lacking questing generally is.

The more I get into it, the more I believe this "conspiracy theory" that the game was scrapped then remade after devs started working with a certain celebrity in 2018. Everything feels rushed. Not bad. Just very, very rushed.

So, can I get a clarification: Do you mean materially rewarding, or story-wise rewarding??
I assume it's the latter for now, since that's what I bought the game for in the first place. Stories.

I voted no. The game feels consistently underwhelming. Your choices in main and side quest bring little impacts, and most quests don't take advantage of RPG's interactive nature to let you decide how a small story concludes. The only redeeming quality is as @Obsidian_Crane points out, hints to future DLCs. But then it says a lot about how lacking questing generally is.

The more I get into it, the more I believe this "conspiracy theory" that the game was scrapped then remade after devs started working with a certain celebrity in 2018. Everything feels rushed. Not bad. Just very, very rushed.
Yes I mean story-wise, but also materially (items), levelling (xp), sound and visual effects ("AAAAH") at the moment of finishing the quest, etc...
You made the right decision by thinking about what's most important to you.
Personally, sound and visuals are more important to me than items and xp-points, and even more important than having direct influence on the story-line based on decisions in dialogues, although that is something that I really enjoy too.
So far the options in dialogues have been decent. I'm pretty sure it was important to say thanks to Judy... ^^

Last edited:

PS. I'd like to avoid discussing any other issues with this game. My interest is purely about the quest design.

@PaweSasko / PawełSasko / Paweł Sasko

Some of the quest content is just amazing, best in the genre in some cases. I've had a great deal of fun with Panam, and Judy's quests. Johnny's quests are always fun. Sinnerman is a standout. The main-quest line so far is high quality but feels pretty short.

There are some quests that just miss the mark for me. It's often when they feel abruptly ended. I'm not sure if that's suppose to showcase the sudden cruelty of Night-City, or if the Developers had to rush to cobble the quest together. Often i feels like there were missed opportunities.

There's some quests like the Maelstrom job which offer a lot of variety, and you do see that again in a few quests that face you with tough choices. But not as many as I thought there might be. Especially since that is the only kind of stuff we saw in promotional stuff. It was generally what was talked about. It made it seem like the WHOLE GAME was like that.

Do they feel rewarding? Not always, but they don't have to feel rewarding to be good quests.

Those kind of visual little things, the audio of "AHH" when you finish a witcher quest, or if you level in a game like WoW. That is kind of like a cheap parlor trick, gives your brain and your mood a little boost, like getting a like on social media. There's nothing wrong with it. But. I think a good quest will have your mood right where it wants it when it wraps up.

Last edited:
This is the same for me. If I can find more info when scrounging around during a side Gig or Main Gig, it adds a LOT more context to the situation and often opens up different dialogue options. It took me 5 hours of gameplay to figure this out when I was playing the prologue.

Since then, I spend a lot of time exploring while doing side Gigs to see if there are other pieces of information or something that adds more to the Gig than just going straight for the objective. It definitely upped my satisfaction levels with them overall.

I would generally agree with this, except the current status of the game actively prevents me from this.

In some side quests (namely Peralez residence one from the top of my head, but there were quite a few more) I tried to actively look around, scrounging for more clues, trying not to miss anything out... resulting in finding stuff I was not supposed to find "just yet", bugging the quest out and forcing me to restart it and just go following the yellow markers, avoiding doing anything else out of fear of bugging it again and wasting more and more time.

Generally speaking, no, they didn’t. It was more fun within the missions, but it was a ”diminishing returns” sort of thing the further I went.

There were a few exceptions, like the doctor insisting on helping the wounded maelstrom, or the ”father-son” braindance business, and such, but for the most part mission resolutions were pretty meh.

Only allies quests feel good enough with a logical ending for me. And even it can be much better, compared to W3.

Others...no. Just no. In most cases, they have no ending at all or really poor reward for your efforts.

Like:

Quest about major Perales, Lizzy's quest. They have no ending. I caught all cyberpsychos and got some cash for it, nothing more than that, no decent dialog, no cutscene, no unique item as reward. Others, like quest with crucifixion, or Brendan vending machine, or Skippy, are good, but too linear, no way I can't save them, which is disappointing.
Delamain quest is fine.

Those are, no jokes, all quests I can actually remember. Other ingame activities are pointless fixes gigs, which I can hardly call quests at all.

I remember TW3 and first area White Orchard - there was a side quest to chase of the ghost from burn down village.
It could be done in straight fashion way, you could also talk with many people and get the full picture about what happens and everything falls into its place. Instead of yet another quest it was a grim story about exploitation, fighting for freedom, homosexuality prejudice.
I was like wow - this game is going to be awesome since they put so much heart into rather small side quest. And the game shown that this was just the beginning.

Here? I had to wait for Delamain and Sinnerman quest for this kind of experience and this was here it. No more “wow” moments.

TW3 and CP77 is sadly day and night experience.

TW3 and CP77 is sadly day and night experience.
Maybe that's why it's called "Night City"...?
Post automatically merged:

I do the quests to enjoy playing in a cyberpunk world.
A lot of the reward comes from the experiences, challenges, and exploration of the side-quests.
Cyberpunk 2077's Upgrading System and inventory management is an utter migraine.
Believe it or not, migraines feel way worse. But I get what you mean, the upgrade system is a bit confusing at the beginning. It offers a ton of options tho...

Last edited:
There are a lot of things that I want to say here but will stick to just one thing I really wanted with the quests.

Specifically, I wanted the fixers to handle things with you like Dex did (not the killing you part). They contact you, ask for a meet. You visit with them and there is a connection you have with them. Over time, I wanted them to be like a trusted confidant; you have done so much to help them be successful and they have come to rely on you for the really tough jobs... kind of thing.

The quick phone call thing feels weak and uninvolved to me. I wanted more varied meetings in remote and sometimes unsavory locations. I really that by making it all about short phone calls, they missed the boat on developing some real immersion.

The side quests were kind of a saving grace for me. While I did enjoy the main story, the sidequests (not the gigs and NCPD-stuff) gave me a chance to experience what it's like living in Night City and the struggles of its inhabitants. So in a sense of immersion and worldbuilding these quests really felt 'rewarding'.

I wish for more of those quests, that provide you with information about Cyberpunk-related topics. While the shards are nice to have, I hope that they'll include topics like Cyberpsychosis, the corporations and gangs, the gap of rich and poor, dubious business, brainwashing and kidnapping, bizarre body modification and so on in more quests. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom