POLL: Gwent in its current state as of January 2018

+

POLL: Gwent in its current state as of January 2018

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ZenaRose;n10242042 said:
[...]Stop oversimplify game! Stop cutting card names, lore and game mechanic! [...]

The biggest dick-move in the removing of mechanics/archetypes/shortening names and tooltips is that they are so crude and not thorough in doing so; Keep reminding you what gwent once was just to throw the current gwent at you in the next second.
For example the Clan an Craite Warrior and Jutta an Dimun still weaken for 1 on deploy, for no reason at all; There is no warcry anymore why would a unit weaken itself?

The negativity in this topic is absolutely foul.
Card games evolve over time, the meta evolves over time, things will change, just not right away. The meta has been toxic before and it was fixed, this will be addressed too.

The amount of entitlement in these posts is beyond childish. CDPR is, at the end of the day, still a business, so of course they’ll make decisions that benefit their company, but they’re also some of the friendliest, approachable, and receptive developers in the industry.

Instead of trashing them for problems that they’re going to fix, just put some damn trust in them to make their fan base happy, because they’ve shown over and over again that they will given the time.

It would have been faster and more efficient to revert the game before midwinter update (back when it was still witcher themed) and just add the new cards on it (with tweaked numbers).
None complained about the darker theme, lore names, lack of rng, mechanics that required strategy etc, yet cdpr decided to change these for no apparent reason.

relokcin;n10246082 said:
Card games evolve over time, the meta evolves over time, things will change, just not right away. The meta has been toxic before and it was fixed, this will be addressed too.

the vast majority of the complaints in this thread are not about the meta, nor even the balance.

people is complaining about the mid winter patch being a rushed patch aimed to be a cashgrab during the Christmas Holidays. Plenty of obvious bugs, new premium cards not being premium, completely broken interactions...

First of all, people is complaining about the fishy movement of releasing a not-enough-tested-nor-balanced broken patch just for the shake of getting money. It was a massive let down for true CDPR fans like myself, who didnt expect such an obnoxious movement from one of the few developers that has earned the respect from their players. This movement was to be expected from EA, from Activision, but not from CDPR, thats one of the main problems.

Secondly, a lot of people is worried about the direction the game is taking flavour-wise. Decisions like shortening the names, removing trio cards, changing animations like the gruesome consume animation to more childish ones... are making Gwent a hollow experience with no soul.

thirdly, people like me are worried about the direction it is taking gameplay wise. The "random" word is appearing more and more often with every new set of cards, tge new Create keyword, exclusive faction mechanics are being granted to other factions or completely removed. Cards with simplier abilities, or cards like Alba spearman, which had an interesting ability, that has been granted the same ability as Hawker Smuggler.

if you think this is because we dont like the meta, í'm sorry mate, but you didnt understood a thing.

Raunbjorn

relokcin;n10246082 said:
The negativity in this topic is absolutely foul.

The amount of entitlement in these posts is beyond childish. CDPR is, at the end of the day, still a business, so of course they’ll make decisions that benefit their company, but they’re also some of the friendliest, approachable, and receptive developers in the industry.

Instead of trashing them for problems that they’re going to fix, just put some damn trust in them to make their fan base happy, because they’ve shown over and over again that they will given the time.

You say evolve, I say devolve. Showing a company blind faith doesn't help either. If you assume they water down the game cause they think they'll earn more money that way, that's for first way to ruin Gwent for the fans of the game. Hearthstone will always beat them if they try to go up against the end boss that is Blizzard. If watering down the game will make them richer it's not cause of my money.

Besides I think you're the most entitled guy here. I mean, it's obvious that everyone here like the game in the first place. People are just frustrated about how they messed up so much in such a short period of time, completely deviating from the fundamentals of the game.

Raunbjorn

Hydrahead;n10246932 said:
You say evolve, I say devolve. Showing a company blind faith doesn't help either. If you assume they water down the game cause they think they'll earn more money that way, that's for first way to ruin Gwent for the fans of the game. Hearthstone will always beat them if they try to go up against the end boss that is Blizzard. If watering down the game will make them richer it's not cause of my money.

Besides I think you're the most entitled guy here. I mean, it's obvious that everyone here like the game in the first place. People are just frustrated about how they messed up so much in such a short period of time, completely deviating from the fundamentals of the game.

(Mods, please don't delete this post. It wasn't meant as a personal attack. Just a counter argument!)

I voted: Playing gwent is more frustrating then fun

There are parts of the game I dread and some that I still find fun. Most of the time I find myself playing agiainst the same (or very similar to a couple of cards difference) decks and games have very little variation which gets.... boring.

Hydrahead;n10246932 said:

It isn't blind faith, it's trust. I've been buying CDPR games for years because I trust them to make good games. Everything encounters a rough patch, it just so happens that the Midwinter Patch is a literal rough patch (pun fully intended).

Furthermore, I don't see why everyone is so fixated on a company trying to make money. Obviously they're trying to make money, that was never being contested. Also, I'm not sure you know what entitled means. I don't quite get how you made the leap that I'm the entitled one for trying to defend both of our favorite card game. Everyone complaining seems to think they're entitled to a perfectly designed game when it's clearly still in beta. Of course it isn't perfect and of course there will be bugs. That's why we give them trust and time to fix the mistakes that they've made.

I would like a new way to play a 2v2 style game. if they can somehow make that work, it would be a nice new addition to the game. I am enjoying the game right now, Lots of new ways to build your deck and love how they are adding a bunch new cards. I just also want to see more challenges where we can keep unlocking rewards. This game has improved a lot. When I first played Witcher 3, I loved playing Gwent in game, but after getting used to this new and improved style Gwent. I started playing The Witcher 3 again and i dont enjoy the Gwent in game anymore, it makes me want to get back on here and play.

Still having fun.
went from rank 5 to 12 today (I know I know) the rank ladder is no big deal to you pro players.

But ill be honest..I think a metric shit ton of the complaints are the pros that think everything should be completly balanced days after an update
and the try hards that get upset because prior decks don't work like they used to..and now have to find something new to play.

im glad I fit in that catagory of
"its a video game and made to be fun and a relaxing enjoyment"

I've been through every version of this game since beta day 1... and I can honestly say people blow things out of proportion EVERY TIME there's an update

Theres a lot of issues I am finding with the way that cards are worded... which has gone a few steps backward in the past patches.

For example, Crach an craite who is one of the leaders.... has the text which implies that he pulls the highest loyal unit from the deck. It does not state it does not pull golds, yet you might think it does if you didn't try it out yourself.

On top of this many units which say "damage" a unit are sometimes allowed to target units on your side of the board and sometimes are not, yet there is no definitive way to tell the difference until you play the card.

The other bad part about this game is how unit interactions are getting simpler, but then more complex through the introduction of new cards. This consequently creates more options for the individual player to memorise.

For instance, (example) instead of just remembering 200 cards but playing them in 40000 possible ways, we now get 700 cards but only 10000 ways that they could be played. It is more of a memory strain but less of a diversity. If we continue in this route the issue of netdecking will become far more worse and it will make the game pay to win as well, because of how many cards are needed to have an effective deck. Creating options and moments in the game is key, not creating more things to memorise outside of the game.

I don't know if looking at it from such a small sample is worthwhile. Judging it from the start of this perpetual beta to now, it's a watery Mickey Mouse Mcslurpee of shit.
​​​​​​
Sorry, but the community assurances of they'll do this and do that are getting old when they keep doing the absolute opposite and keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. But what the fook do I know.

I just feel sorry for anyone who came to this game, from Witcher 3, expecting Gwent to even be a similar experience.

The instant disappointment after climbing above a rank, as little as rank 10, is heartbreaking. Should've kept it basic and as close to the real Gwent experience as possible. Aiming for some modicum of longevity is only butchering the game.

Last edited:
I'm a new player and I really like the game. I have no frame of reference since I didn't play before the 'sh*tstorm patch' but when compared to other games including miniature games this isn't all bad. Admitted, since I don't have that many cards yet I'm floating around rank 15 and I don't know how the higher ranks are.

I've invested in other games and the design was just terrible. Every time a new update came out with new cards, it turned into the same annoying meta of play one of these archetypes or don't play at all. I've played miniature games (which are waaaay more expensive and take up a lot more time to actually play) where there have been the same broken models or armies for more than a year. Maybe I learned to be patient, or trust in the design team or something but I honestly can't wrap my head around the negative comments about the state of gwent floating around.

I love the game and I'm excited for the future of this game.

Edit: Yay first post.

My problem as a CCG player (new to Gwent but not CCGs by any means).

I dont research the most imba before I start. Then craft the OP deck so I farm galore with fewest losses. I like to try all the cards, factions or classes then build a deck.

But I borked myself again by crafting some good cards, might be I dont know, didnt spend a month watch youtube, twitch or scouring forums for the most imba. And now I have very weak decks lose a lot in casual. Which sucks when you have to 5 matches as faction X.

Which right now is Dorfs. I dont have the best of the best Dorfs. Up against the Skellge faction. Yep I know the tricks he, they cause 3 times in a row same faction same cards, are going to do as I saw the cards but cant craft them. Axemen gain a point for every dmg done on opposite row. Get my dicks out in the pond (Axemen) - funny how there is always all 3. Play the Hero to do 10 dmg and plus 30 for me! -10 for you and +Herald for another 6 for a 46 point swing. Nice.

Even better when on turn 1 they have this going then in the next round play 3 feyas and bring them all back out then play Herald.

Wouldnt be so bad as might better deck might have a chance. Nope - stuck playing suxxor beginning decks vs God decks based on my level.

its beta, and some react like the end of the world is coming soon. ok there are problems etc etc. but its still better than hearthstone and i am sure the dev is working at the problems. i still have fun in gwent

Funky69;n10349572 said:
its beta, and some react like the end of the world is coming soon. ok there are problems etc etc. but its still better than hearthstone and i am sure the dev is working at the problems. i still have fun in gwent

Lol.. it's "Beta" in name only.

it would be less frustrating without that stupid quests that force you to play ranked.
i reached rank 16 and stoped playing ranked bc every second game was vs braindead dorfs or consume.
now i already have 2 ranked-related quests stacked up that im not gonna touch till season reset.

also, this bs that spawns random bs is getting way too op. just like in HS it ruins every strategy in the game.
but they already know that. i wonder thou, how that crap got thru playtesting in the first place?!

i realy hope they sort things out in the next few weeks or i see me playing elder scroll legends next month..

Top Bottom