[ Poll ] Is the driving Fine or Unsatisfactory?

+

In my opinion the driving mechanics WITHOUT USING MODS are :

• Very good if you know how to do it right.

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • Fine.

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Playable but not as satisfactory as it should be.

Votes: 43 27.7%
  • Playable but extremely unintuitive, unrealistic and frustrating.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Not playable (must use mods).

Votes: 12 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I keep seeing arguments back and forth with people saying the driving is great or terrible, with very few people in-between Seems strange that it can be so divided. It made me wonder really is it split or is one side just more vocal (willing to post about it). With a poll it is anonymous so it might give a belter perspective.

For me I am vocal, with mods I find the driving acceptable to play this awesome (but flawed) game. However the driving mechanics still needs a lot of work.

Update:

As the new patch came out today that include a lot of driving revisions

Three things...

Seems that CDPR agreed that the driving needed some massaging to make it acceptable.

I will ask a mod to close this poll/thread!

THANK YOU CDPR! Thank you so very much. :)

Last edited:
I have to admit that car driving games usually are not my thing thats why i was very hesistant to drive in this game anyway and the first attempt of driving the starting car leaded into the next concrete wall :> and to a ragequit of mine but even after i more or less adapted to the driving mechanic is still frustrating to repeatly have push the accelerator key then let it go and press it again to more or less keep a certain speed.

At least a few predefined speed levels with key combos would be nice. Like driving in walkspeed.. with W+ctrl, city speed limit with normal W and full speed with shift + W or something.

Then i could have made use of my wooting two analog feature :>

It works but in no way done good. They need to steal everything done in GTA and Saints Row to make it good. The map HUD needs to be overhauled the most. They could eleminate issues by making things optional. Like being able to tweak head height in the car.

I don't see an issue with the driving itself. Especially with heavier cars, I love how weighty/bouncy they are. What bothers me is the lack of environmental feedback when on roads. When driving on pavement, generally, it's fine. The cars respond to most bumps, manhole covers, road seams, etc., but when driving on dirt in the badlands or when driving over anything wet, there is almost no visual feedback, not even audio feedback in a lot of cases, to make the cars actually seem like they're on dirt, or on wet sand, wet pavement, etc., whereas if you're off-road at any point, all of these effects generally appear. Just seems weird.

Guest 3847602

OK-ish. Something between fine and playable, depending on the car. Voted for fine.
And, don't mean to be rude, but if one is struggling with Coyote and can't handle it properly, it's not really the game's fault.

And, don't mean to be rude, but if one is struggling with Coyote and can't handle it properly, it's not really the game's fault.

Is that one of the cars? Why the comment, is it a difficult or easy car to drive in your opinion?

I am not a car person and had no interest in buying all the cars . Johnny's car and Jackie's Arch was all I needed. So I just did not get into appreciating the game's car models. I do admit some of the cars I have seen people show off on this forum look incredible!

I had never understood car people and their obsession with vehicles until the day a good friend in her mid life crises purchased a used candy apple red Ferrari. She let me drive it once, the moment I put my foot down on the gas and felt the phenomenal power I finally had a small understanding! :p

I approach it the same way I approached GRID, if you take it easy only flooring it on long straights with no obstacles, braking before the corner and gently accelerating at the apex and corner exit it's very playable.

V is not a stunt driver so take it easy in heavy traffic and feather the accelerator especially for rear wheel drive cars.

It's amazing how noticeable it is if a car is RWD, 4WD or FWD, since the cars and the driving are not the main focus (although they could have been with a little more work on the physics, AI and customization front).

I really like the suspension work and the weight transfer, you can have a really good time if you know what you're doing, loving me some Galena g240 FWD drift action in the parking lot.

I feel that the bikes need a lot more work when it comes to the handling and cornering than the cars, they behave unintuitively, especially after trailbraking they completely straighten up mid apex instead of leaning or sliding and you end up mowing down civilians like a wrecking ball.

On the flip side the front brake for the bikes behaves somewhat realistically aiding the cornering if you drag the brakes.

NOW GIMME MY WHEELIES AND ENDOS CDPR x) x) x)

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Is that one of the cars? Why the comment, is it a difficult or easy car to drive in your opinion?
Yup, you can buy it for about 100k or get it for free if you don't help Panam with one of her quests. Coyote is extremely easy to drive, easy to handle in corners, very stable even off-road, plus it's one of the fastest cars in the game.

Silverhand's Porsche does not drive nearly as well as its real life counterpart; imprecise with excessive understeer.

The Aerondight is very heavy in steering, the Caliburn has practically no brakes, even in reverse. Idk who can think the driving in the game is anywhere near fine or acceptable. Manageable? Sure, but not good at all.

Silverhand's Porsche does not drive near as well as its real life counterpart; imprecise with excessive understeer.

The Aerondight is very heavy in steering, the Caliburn has practically no brakes, even in reverse. Idk who can think the driving in the game is anywhere near fine or acceptable. Manageable? Sure, but not good at all.

I've had none of those problems, the only problem I have with the Prosche is that once you commence the oversteer the power dies down to the point that it stops mid drift going down hill, up hill it's the other way around, it keeps going until you spin out.

What makes the Porsche in real life have their signature handling is the mid engine car design with proper weight ballancing, the one in the game seems to have the weight shifted towards the rear and it's painful to see :D.
Post automatically merged:

I have no issues with the actual driving other than the brakes which you need because you've gone past your turning due to the mini map not scaling.

Yeah, the breaks and the steering lag needs checking out.

Delete my comment so as not to skew the poll.

OH I do have a ? about the racing, did I miss an opportunity to be the gunner and let Clair drive all the races?

I may have to do that mission over again if that was the case... :(

Last edited:
I've had none of those problems, the only problem I have with the Prosche is that once you commence the oversteer the power dies down to the point that it stops mid drift going down hill, up hill it's the other way around, it keeps going until you spin out.

What makes the Porsche in real life have their signature handling is the mid engine car design with proper weight ballancing, the one in the game seems to have the weight shifted towards the rear and it's painful to see :D.

I am using the reference from a 959 and one 911, the Porsche in CP is very unlike its real life counterpart as you have mentioned, the tendency to feel "heavy" on the rear is not like the original and the braking is horrible.

The Caliburn using a reference from a Chiron; the thing does not feel floaty nor imprecise whilst driving it at any moment nor takes that long to stop from 60 mph or less.

The Aerondight feels like you are driving a wannabe dragster due how unbalanced it feels and unresponsive in acceleration on top of unacceptable wheelspin for a hyper car; compare it to any high-end rear wheel drive like a McLaren F1 and you shall know what I mean.

Last edited:
I am using the reference from a 959 and one 911, the Porsche in CP is very unlike its real life counterpart as you have mentioned, the tendency to feel "heavy" on the rear is not like the original and the braking is horrible.

The Caliburn using a reference from a Chiron; the thing does not feel floaty nor imprecise whilst driving it at any moment nor takes that long to stop from 60 mph or less.

The Aerondight feels like you are driving a wannabe dragster due how unbalanced it feels and unresponsive in acceleration; compare it to any high-end rear wheel drive like a McLaren F1 and you shall know what I mean.

So as I said before I am not really a car person, but looks like a lot of you all are! How does this and other games communicate the feeling to you for the various attributes of driving? Like for example how does the game communicate the front braking power of the vehicle to the player?

Can someone write a list of the most important attributes to communicate to the player and maybe HOW that would be done in a game?

The driving itself is okay but very floaty depending on the vehicle you are driving. My main problem with the driving is that the minimap doesn't zoom out nearly enough causing me to either blow by turns or try to handbrake and make the turn usually causing to me careen into other vehicles or pedestrians.

The Aerondight feels like you are driving a wannabe dragster due how unbalanced it feels and unresponsive in acceleration; compare it to any high-end rear wheel drive like a McLaren F1 and you shall know what I mean.

This is exactly what I meant when I quotted your post in the previous thread.

There's a balancing issue with the cars, but once you get to know them you really should not have any problems, my main cars at the moment are the Avenger Type 66 and the Herrera Outlaw GTS and while they feel heavy on the breaking side they're the most fun cars to drive at the moment.

I believe CDPR are onto something with the car physics, what it needs is some sort of decent weight transfer and distribution system and the ability to turn on driving assists, or off in this case because it seems to me that there's some semblance of a weird half ABS system going on that facilitates the long braking distance and then it seems to trun off towards the end of the braking locking the tires, and on the other end a disticnt lack of a decent traction control system for the more powerful cars.

This is like a microcosm of the whole game, it's so close to being there but it just isn't refinend enough.

P.S.

I believe The Aerondight is more of a cross in between a Stingray 1969 and an SLR, they're both unweidly and have a long front end. While the McLaren F1 is built for stability at high speeds.

Last edited:
I believe The Aerondight is more of a cross in between a Stingray 1969 and an SLR, they're both unweidly and have a long front end. While the McLaren F1 is built for stability at high speeds.

I shall give you that, albeit I still think a 2077 hyper car should not drive like cars that are 100+ years older.

I shall give you that, albeit I still think a 2077 hyper car should not drive like cars that are 100+ years older.

Alternate history, it seems that everything is built around a dangerous ''you only live once'' sort of life style, I mean they have gun vending machines and stuff :D.

But yeah, having the option to turn on driving assits in the menu would go a long way (mostly traction control).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom