[ Poll ] Is the driving Fine or Unsatisfactory?

+

In my opinion the driving mechanics WITHOUT USING MODS are :

• Very good if you know how to do it right.

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • Fine.

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Playable but not as satisfactory as it should be.

Votes: 43 27.7%
  • Playable but extremely unintuitive, unrealistic and frustrating.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Not playable (must use mods).

Votes: 12 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think with exception of maybe 1-2 cars, the driving is just fine.

The sportscars are meant to feel like uncontrollable beasts that would take some effort to get used to. I think they're actually the best thing in this game after some practise.

People are just salty that they can't be master of everything in the first go, like some time ago didn't they find out 90% of the people tested couldn't even finish the first level of Mario Bros. The gaming community has just gotten too bad with the amount of "amusement-park-ride" type of games that don't offer any challenge to them. Now it'd take a freaking miracle to lose a game of Mario World, and even if you can't succeed in a specific level, after 5 deaths they give you immortality. Like seriously?

Sure they could tune up the controls a bit but I like the feel of the driving. GTA 5 driving physics are a joke and I don't understand how people can use that game as an example. They're intentionally designed super easy so those 10 year old kids wouldn't break their consoles when they attempt to drive to a location.

It's kinda ironic the same people whining about driving physics are crying about how the game is so unrealistic compared to GTA, because apparently breaking tires and shooting into water are more important.

Last edited:
I am using a hori apex racing wheel on the pc for the driving bits it comes up as a xbox controller.

The driving is excellent as the wheel has its own sensitivity settings and deadzone settings.

When i use the normal xbox controller the driving is still good but everything is way to sensitive.

But i will say the first person in car view is not fit for purpose not to mention the sunlight issue

In my opinion the driving in CP2077 makes the driving in the Saints Row series of games seem realistic and I know the driving in Saints Row is not meant to be realistic.

What makes the Porsche in real life have their signature handling is the mid engine car design with proper weight ballancing,
Here is cross section of type 930 of 911 Turbo

Type 930 always had a reputation of being a beast to tame and older 911's even in general had quite specific quirks. When losing grip they were needed to give more throttle to regain traction. Some racing models worked the same way. Another quite specific feature is torsion bar suspension that has its own feel.

CP 2077 911 930 Turbo is nicest handling type 930 I have ever experienced in any game on a bit more serious side of racing. I really like it a lot though it's only downside being low tops speed but then in other hand, that might work for players looking for cruiser on keyboard and mouse.
Post automatically merged:

For topic in general. For me on Xbox One controller (playing on Xbox) physics feel alright at core, like a good starting point but ultimately unfinished.

Before even getting to enhancing physics two issues:
1. Current minimap implementation doesn't scale enough. It makes players paranoid focusing too much on minimap at expense of driving experience.
2. Force feedback could use some more effects, something almost subconscious level stuff, little here and there to build up muscle memory and in general helping with the learning curve, every good physics implementation has a learning curve but then, more control more rewarding the experience of driving comes.
3. Optional, but perhaps some more sound effects, body hum, again almost subconscious level cues could help.

Visually, for some reason I haven't been able to pin down in car cockpit view works really well in this game with some cars. Then there are cars where in car perspective just doesn't work as V is in position which has severe negative impact of seeing outside of car. That I guess is due some sort of bug.

Last edited:
I use a Dualshock 3 for the entirety of my PC games :) I do play driving games (DiRT, Gran Tursimo, BeamNG Drive) as well as other open world games (Saints Row, GTA, Watch Dogs) and while I (unpopularly) think GTA IV sported the best modern open-world driving physics, (closely followed by the Original Watch Dogs title), I have honestly found Cyberpunk 2077 to have the worst vehicle handling of any title that I've played.

The general lack of grip makes driving anywhere an uncomfortable rollercoaster (except the vehicles very much aren't on rails). Okay, I can sort of understand high speed grip being rubbish for cars which aren't intentionally designed for high speed driving, but even at medium speeds with high-end vehicles, traction is a luxury for the most part. I'm not sure what it is with the handling models, but pretty much everything seems susceptible to snap oversteer and spinning out, FWD cars included ':/ It may be controller sensitivity that I can't figure out, but whatever it is, it's exclusive to C2077...

Bikes are the worst offenders of all; I really don't know where to start with them. Their controls and handling are cartoon-grade, bearing very little resemblance to reality. Basic principles, like literal weight transfer, aren't experienced at all :p

I feel like the first person driving camera is maybe too rigid as well. I prefer using first person driving in games, where possible, but the C2077 first person driving camera is very violently affected by the terrain. It's strange and worrying that I make this observation in a game that's largely urban driving, but never notice this problem when playing titles from the DiRT, DiRT Rally series, or GTA Online when taking on rally races (I have a record of 152 wins vs 16 losses and exclusively use FPP, mostly on dirt trails, so I'm not a total newbie). Some vehicles (Type 66 Javelina) do have very poor visibility out as as well :p

The Porsche isn't too bad generally, but that's only because I generally drive it much slower than anything, so's not to crash and damage it ':/ The closest thing I could compare it to is an RUF BTR from the Gran Turismo series. Unsurprisingly, the BTR is better to drive, for racing and for drift builds as well, after ages of setup :)

It's a bit of s shame really; because the vehicle design is top-shelf (both exterior and interior design). Only dedicated driving games have vehicle models as detailed as those found in C2077. However, unlike C2077, those models in driving games are actually pleasant to drive.

Last edited:
Some cars to me just feel like tanks but honesly i think the problem isnt necessary the car experience but the damn minimap being to tiny it doesnt let you see whats far ahead so majority of the time you just smash into things and miss corners

Here is cross section of type 930 of 911 Turbo

Type 930 always had a reputation of being a beast to tame and older 911's even in general had quite specific quirks. When losing grip they were needed to give more throttle to regain traction. Some racing models worked the same way. Another quite specific feature is torsion bar suspension that has its own feel.

CP 2077 911 930 Turbo is nicest handling type 930 I have ever experienced in any game on a bit more serious side of racing. I really like it a lot though it's only downside being low tops speed but then in other hand, that might work for players looking for cruiser on keyboard and mouse.

Aye, although that statement was mostly referring to the Prosche legacy (lol all this talking is taking me back to the Porsche 2000 - Unleashed period of my childhood).

My problem with it is that once the powersliding commences the power just cuts out and the drift just stops going down hill and the other way around going up hill, there's a weight balance that's not being reached with the model in the game.

It handle's fine on a flat surface, I love it, it's very playful, but I like the twisties around Night City and the RWD car weight transfer is bugged and makes them unpredictable in certain bends, especially noticeable with the Quadra lineup.

Although it can be argued that it gives the vehicles character and I'd agree, I tend to take it easy with those cars nowadays and I chose my Herrera Outlaw GTS (cross between Aston Martin and Alpha Romeo), Mizutani Shion - Targa (Porsche 944 - best handling Porsche along side the Boxter S) or Thorton Galena G240 (defo Golf GTI) for the twisties fun.

I'm one of the first ones to stand up and talk about this game's flaws which are huge. But c'mon, haven't you heard about mods? Driving stopped to be a problem 2 months ago.

On the motorbike, at least, I found it really fun. First person in a car is obviously much more difficult; the camera is way too low. Third person is fine. And obviously the map not zooming out means you're making breakneck turns.

Eliminate "parking zones". If I want to crash into a parking lot/garage, go all the way to Judy's lake house, or get near a building...JUST LET ME. I drive IRL. I know how brakes work.

More vehicle destruction from incidental damage similar to what the NPCs get when they hit a barrier. Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see missing/damaged pieces when I hit things.

More obstruction in the outlying areas. Is it really that easy to plow through vegetation and rocks in the desert? Every rocky outcrop is a daredevil's dream. Some should stop me cold, throw me off my vehicle and cause severe damage.

May not be a popular suggestion, but eliminate auto-delivery. We have mass transit and garages. Get Claire to deliver our vehicles and we may decide that running from point to point is faster.

After voting for fine, I suppose I'll leave my personal opinion.
Overall the driving is actually decent with a few vehicles that have unpleasant quirks and some vehicles that drive well.

Now I always drive everywhere myself, I rarely use fast travel. So I get plenty of practice and I can do quite a few trips without checking my map by now. I think many people use fast travel a lot and dont drive vehicles very often as your first car is actually decent. The Archer Hella(I often drive the police Archers) isnt fast but it behaves properly and has decent brakes.

Other vehicles that I like are the Archer Quartz, Galena Rattler/Gecko and.. surprise surprise; the Maimai. None of these are very fast but fast enough for the city and they have good handling, good turning and good brakes. They are also very affordable.

The best vehicles are the Mizutani Shion(especially the Coyote) and the Quadra Type 66 5especially the Javelina and Cthulhu). These are very fast, have great handling and good brakes. These are the cars I prefer over all others.

I do drive the others: The Quadra Turbo R is annoying to drive with its excessive drifting while the Caliburns brakes are just bad. Compare them to those of the Shion(which has about the same top speed) and you'll see the difference. You dont even have to go topspeed to get annoyed by its brakes.

The Porsche is a nice vehicle but scratch anything and you lose a headlight. Whenever I get the Caliburn or the Aerondight, I try to be careful because they are supposed to be super expensive hypercars. The bad brakes and AI behaviour makes that hard.
Especially the behaviour of the AI is often frustrating; they stop in the middle of the road, turn weird and so on.

I always drive with keyboard and I have no issues with it. I quickly learned to use the handbrake aswell. Turning in a narrow street can easily be achieved by pulling the handbrake and then pushing reverse to avoid sliding onto the pavement.
I dont want 'realistic' damage models or any of that personally. I already have that in real life and just dont care for it ingame. I would much rather see the AI be improved instead.

Kinda off-topic, but... ever driven the flat nose in a track? It is amazing.

I definitely love the cars and the way they behave, very different between each other. You can feel the weight and their length.

I usually drive in first person and those differences are more notable, with the car bumping and such.

The problem, I think, is how the AI handles the roaming traffic. They seem to not react to my driving untill crash.

Aye, although that statement was mostly referring to the Prosche legacy (lol all this talking is taking me back to the Porsche 2000 - Unleashed period of my childhood).

My problem with it is that once the powersliding commences the power just cuts out and the drift just stops going down hill and the other way around going up hill, there's a weight balance that's not being reached with the model in the game.

It handle's fine on a flat surface, I love it, it's very playful, but I like the twisties around Night City and the RWD car weight transfer is bugged and makes them unpredictable in certain bends, especially noticeable with the Quadra lineup.

Although it can be argued that it gives the vehicles character and I'd agree, I tend to take it easy with those cars nowadays and I chose my Herrera Outlaw GTS (cross between Aston Martin and Alpha Romeo), Mizutani Shion - Targa (Porsche 944 - best handling Porsche along side the Boxter S) or Thorton Galena G240 (defo Golf GTI) for the twisties fun.
Porsche 2000, played the heck out of that game back in the day. After that I found that I did pretty decently in most of racing games out there. What I wrote about earlier that in-car view is very well implemented with some cars actually comes from Porsche 2000 as it's last one I recall really had a good in-car camera view in terms of spatial information. I have played a lot of racing games since and been thinking how things have changed, 3rd person and hood camera probably being most common choices by players and reason to implement something like in-car camera being more for joyriders than competitive players. I can get it though as without VR 3rd person modes tend to offer much more spatial information which is very important in online racing.

However CP 2077 isn't multiplayer game and I sort of wish CDPR would fix issues with in-car view with some cars and perhaps come up with additional cues via sound, controller force feedback and even visual cues via suspension. The Night City can already be very great experience in car.

Not especially one for driving in video games, unless it's Wipeout (and I'm carp at that), but I spend so long driving around Night City for the pure pleasure of it that that is judgment by default. Sunday afternoons used to be reserved for driving around Kyrat, now it's Night City. It's Fine for me (y) fair to say that that's 3rd-person only, the FP seems horrible, though I presumed that was a skill thing rather than any particular 'fault' of the game. I can see why folk might not be as impressed generally, and I've sure got much less to compare it to than others (having played so few drivey games) but I love it.

So I keep seeing arguments back and forth with people saying the driving is great or terrible, with very few people in-between Seems strange that it can be so divided. It made me wonder really is it split or is one side just more vocal (willing to post about it). With a poll it is anonymous so it might give a belter perspective.

For me I am vocal, with mods I find the driving acceptable to play this awesome (but flawed) game. However the driving mechanics still needs a lot of work. A LOT OF WORK! :rolleyes:
For me, the biggest problem is this terrible minimap. It's far too zoomed in, and leads to missing my turn almost every time. I had to download a mod that unzooms it to drive properly. But people on console are screwed (as if they weren't already). It takes literally a few minutes of testing to realize this is a problem. Come on CDPR

I only use bikes. The thing that annoys me the most about driving in this game is the forced directional correction. It's virtually impossible to do a proper power-slide or even a 180(regardless of what control type you use) because the game is always trying to force rotate your bike back in the initial direction.

I've been cursing the driving since the game came out. With mouse and keyboard, it's ludicrously bad. But this week I finally got myself a games controller, and although I'm still getting used to it, driving is way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom