POLL | PVE thronebreaker like game with gwent deck

+

POLL | thronebreaker like game but with gwent deck?

• Total voters
Cast your poll on how about next PVE game similar to thronebreaker but with gwent deck?
For example, travel around the continent, collect random cards from your pool of gwent cards and build your own deck and play against computer similarly to training mode. 1st expansion on northern realm, then nifgaard, etc. This might be too much work for developers though since they have to create few A.I with solid decks for us to play against.
Your decks can be used for pvp or pve.

Last edited:
If you recall the old MTG-pcgame Shandalar, where you wander around gathering cards and fighting harder and harder decks. Would love something like that for Gwent but then the old Gwent-version, not homecoming.

VONFIDDE yes!! someone remembers and know what I'm talking about. old game from the 90s. you fight wandering monster sent by factions (the faction cards combo gets better and harder as you progress), go to villages pick up quests gather more armies, go to dungeon collect legendary cards when your deck strong enough, you attack the faction one at a time, so much fun! I still love and play 22 years old game from time to time! People love that game so much that the community added more cards to the game over time. now, it has hundreds of cards to choose from thanks to community developers.

@tompudd I played MTG:Shandalar and also Etherlords 2, but from your description, I did not recognize you mean this kind of game as you specifically mentioned "Thronebreaker with Gwent deck".

I think, Thronebreaker's strongest side is its story-telling and that is what in my opinion defines Thronebreaker. If you would steer game more towards classical CCG-style, it would, in my opinion, hurt story-telling and make game more monotonous. I really enjoyed mixing of standard Gwent duels with various puzzles, where EVERY puzzle was unique and it all gave me feeling of entertaining originality.

With Thronebreaker approach, you get game oriented towards story. With MTG:Shandalar approach, you get game oriented towards everything Thronebreaker offers minus story and variety. There is some story present, but it can not bring "immersion" to such degree, like Thronebreaker. In place, where you are on spy mission to avoid guards with Gascon, you would just play typical duel, which you could play any other time with any other opponent.

In my opinion, weighing scales to compare those games depend on whether you rather prefer to play CCG-style or story-style of game. For me personally, Thronebreaker was so entertaining also because it was something different than Gwent, which I play every day.

Charles5pencer The idea is that gwent for PVE really. i mentioned above as example, it can be story based or not, it doesn't matter as long as it uses gwent deck.

@tompudd Another point is, if I understand your idea right, there would be need to have cards in your Gwent collection in order to use them in deck in that PVE game. In my opinion, that would be balance nightmare to make game playable for beginners with limited collection, yet challenging for veterans with full collection. Releasing game with such approach would risk harming brand because of angry users on both sides of scale. Would you pay money for a game, which would too easy for you if you are veteran or insanely impossible to get through if you are beginner? I honestly doubt, Gwent developers would go into such risk. Not to mention possible loud cries about "pay to win" if beginners could not beat the game without crafting stronger cards or buying kegs.

Other approach would be to give players access to full collection for purpose of PVE, but that would be against your idea of being able to play with same deck both in Gwent and PVE game, because you can not create and play with deck in Gwent containing cards, which you do not have.

I think, your idea could be interesting one for some new independent game from "small studio", but established brand would risk a lot with game like that. Please notice, that both MTG:Shandalar and Etherlords 2 were released as standalones without any connection to online gameplay. Making standalone game directly connected with online version is almost impossible task. If you go Thronebreaker way, you can not effectively connect decks between online and PVE version. If you go Hearthstone way, you will have connection between versions, but PVE game would be just serie of duels against AI in predetermined order with very shallow story-telling and even HS have in their adventures cards specific only to that PVE campaign, which do not exist in PVP version. They made those cards exactly to improve attractivity of such gameplay, yet despite that, HS adventures are miles behind Thronebreaker in quality of story-telling.

Top Bottom