[POLL] The Multiplayer Thread

+

What do you think about Multiplayer?

• Total voters
Didn't intend to be mean, but come on... How do you even imagine co-op in a story-driven game with many narrative options? Co-op works in games focused on action. Co-op can exist only in some separate circumstances, like separate game modes, that have nothing to do with the main game, outside perhaps locations.

I'd consider tabletop games coop and storydriven. As you play in a small group of people and you work together to make decisions that impact the story in many ways. The reason you think about coop only in action games is because people haven't really done it in a storydriven game, but its entirely possible and could be a goldmine of potential for games like this. But only if the coop was mostly closed to friends because It would never really work with randoms that don't have mics

Can I destroy another player's home by firing a rocket launcher into it? Or stealing a tank and putting a couple tank shells through their window?

While I would like some optional online mode(s), I've had enough bad experiences with griefers and leeches over the years to be wary of online elements in any game. A lot depends on the community; what sort of people the game attracts, and how well-regulated (whether officially or merely by peer pressure) they are. Yes, it would be nice to have some co-op, and maybe a little PvP for those so inclined (cyberpunk has enough turf battles to justify it), but not nice enough to ask for the inclusion of those things if it winds up toxic or otherwise unplayable.

There's no narrative in Dark Souls.
I'd consider tabletop games coop and storydriven. As you play in a small group of people and you work together to make decisions that impact the story in many ways. The reason you think about coop only in action games is because people haven't really done it in a storydriven game, but its entirely possible and could be a goldmine of potential for games like this. But only if the coop was mostly closed to friends because It would never really work with randoms that don't have mics
Tabletop games aren't remotely the same mechanics-wise. Computer games have too many limitations. It can be done theoretically, but you need to craft the narrative exactly for co-op team play. It needs to be the core. Cyberpunk isn't going this way.

I'd be okay with multiplayer that includes co-operative storymode or somethin' like that. But primarily the only interest I'd have in multiplayer is based on the prospects it brings towards modding the camera, otherwise I'd likely not touch the multiplayer.

seeing players fly by while you're in cyberspace could be a cool little touch. sorta like coming across people in Journey or something

Didn't intend to be mean, but come on... How do you even imagine co-op in a story-driven game with many narrative options? Co-op works in games focused on action. Co-op can exist only in some separate circumstances, like separate game modes, that have nothing to do with the main game, outside perhaps locations.
I agree here. I don't see how this can work. If 2 or more player team up, who is making those decisions? Only the team leader and the rest has to go along with it?
I have voted for I don't need it.
What may work is MP for minigames and such. You go into a bar or a club and play cards against other players, or a boxing fight in an arena or whatever minigames and side-activities you can do in this game, that are not attached to the storyline. That may work if you really want some kind of MP in the game.

There's no narrative in Dark Souls.

Of course there is! It's the "You died" screen. Between that and the difficulty, you're obviously in Hell.

I agree here. I don't see how this can work. If 2 or more player team up, who is making those decisions? Only the team leader and the rest has to go along with it?
I have voted for I don't need it.
What may work is MP for minigames and such. You go into a bar or a club and play cards against other players, or a boxing fight in an arena or whatever minigames and side-activities you can do in this game, that are not attached to the storyline. That may work if you really want some kind of MP in the game.

It would have to work where they vote between options and option with most votes wins; if there's a tie, it's a random outcome.

This usually works out to people who actually want to see the story and know what's going on being constantly bugged by those who want to skip it and get back to killing things.

Don't want it, don't need it.

If I were a multiplayer gamer I would not be here. CDPR should be very well aware at this point who their core customers are. Disgruntled SP RPGs gamers who detest everything of mainstream fast-food gaming world and their forced social interactions as a cover for corporate nickle and dime policy.

CDPR now is mainstream but retain a lot of prestige and good will from the gaming community for being different. Making money is good making ALL the money no matter the prestige cost would be a pity.

I have faith in their better judgement though the call for maximum profit is one that hardly any company is resisting.

CDPR should be very well aware at this point who their core customers are.

The issue with your statement here is you have the Cyberpunk 2020 Fandom coming in with Mike Pondsmith, who are used to playing with others. We don't want just a solid single player game, we want a solid co-op/multiplayer game because that's what WE are used to. So this means that there are now going to be Disgruntled Co-Op Table Top Cyberpunk 2020 gamers who enjoy playing Co-Op and in teams and have grown up with Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk. When CDPR asked to make Cyberpunk 2077, they were gonna get a new group of people to come in and be customers. As long as CDPR is making Cyberpunk 2077, we are not leaving any time soon and will let our feelings be known.

@walkingdarkly - One key difference is that tabletop gamers generally have a bit more control over the makeup of the group than online gamers do. Some online games are better than others when it comes to getting a group together, so how it's done matters greatly.

I'd like to see either multiplayer PvP, free roam exploring/lobbies, or co-op modes/smissions separate from single-player.

Last edited:
Sometimes we go to the multiplayer , the detail will be out of focus ;
Since this game is about detail like the E3 said (explore the hand-made building) ,
but if they make the multiplayer mode , that won't be a bad thing ; fighting the enemy in the sky , while your friend
try to drive the floating car well and you are shooting enemy's head .

I want to see MP, I think. If it's handled correctly and not simply a mob of people shooting at each other. It bears some serious consideration.

Since I think most of us will finish the game a few months after its release, I would be excited to hear that this world, that I've grown to know, could be open to other players. To me, it would be a renewed experience, not scripted.

Want to set the exemple by trying to make Night City get a little better ? Help a guy finish his quests. Join a clan, raid the district with a coordinated squad. Roleplaying a bad guy ? You know what to do. If you're being griefed, you can also leave. That's the same thing in real life, but you're not scared of going outside. This universe alone is an incredibly rich sandbox for ideas, and CDPR has many.

Judging by the density of that world, CDPR will do better than GTA online, even if they did just the same.
That certainty comes from the depth of the gameplay mechanics and lore: classes, verticality, an immersive FPP, the atmosphere, to speak only about the ones we know. The FPP, sandbox aspect and possiblity for roleplay reminds me of Gmod. RP servers could give us the missing link we never knew we wanted, between the video game and the board game.
Again, possibilites are many.

A Combat Dome could be interesting.
Matches to represent your clan and possibly your "allegiance" (Corporation or Group) ? Rules of the combat dome would be no bullet time. We know weapons can be jammed. What if their netrunner just did that to your squad ? Would you do the same to the opponent, fall back, deploy your Mantis blades to rush? Maybe he missed one of you guys. Maybe your techie has a direct counter. It needs good objectives and maps, and the classes mechanics can be balanced in private testings. Needless to say how the FPP would fit perfectly here.

CDPR said they had multiplayer in R&D in an interview. The're open to this idea, brainstorming on it. They're interested and so should we.
The majority of poeple that are hostile to this fear that it would step on their single player experience. But the focus has always been solo. Others can't stand the idea of something not being -exactly- the way they want, or reluctant to step out of their comfort zone.
I say I'm up for it, because of all the possibilites stated above.

https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2...ltiplayer-but-its-a-possibility-after-launch/

They are right to be pursuing this, and should not be bothered by the masses. Let's remember the backlash about FPP. Public opinion was against it. They reacted like brats that were disappointed by their christmas presents. The fact that the creators presented the idea convinced them.
It will be the same with Multiplayer.

Last edited:
Since I think most of us will finish the game a few months after its release, I would be excited to hear that this world, that I've grown to know, could be open to other players. To me, it would be a renewed experience, not scripted.

Want to set the exemple by trying to make Night City get a little better ? Help a guy finish his quests. Join a clan, raid the district with a coordinated squad. Roleplaying a bad guy ? You know what to do. If you're being griefed, you can also leave. That's the same thing in real life, but you're not scared of going outside. This universe alone is an incredibly rich sandbox for ideas, and CDPR has many.

Judging by the density of that world, CDPR will do better than GTA online, even if they did just the same.
That certainty comes from the depth of the gameplay mechanics and lore: classes, verticality, an immersive FPP, the atmosphere, to speak only about the ones we know. The FPP, sandbox aspect and possiblity for roleplay reminds me of Gmod. RP servers could give us the missing link we never knew we wanted, between the video game and the board game.
Again, possibilites are many.

A Combat Dome could be interesting.
Matches to represent your clan and possibly your "allegiance" (Corporation or Group) ? Rules of the combat dome would be no bullet time. We know weapons can be jammed. What if their netrunner just did that to your squad ? Would you do the same to the opponent, fall back, deploy your Mantis blades to rush? Maybe he missed one of you guys. Maybe your techie has a direct counter. It needs good objectives and maps, and the classes mechanics can be balanced in private testings. Needless to say how the FPP would fit perfectly here.

CDPR said they had multiplayer in R&D in an interview. The're open to this idea, brainstorming on it. They're interested and so should we.
The majority of poeple that are hostile to this fear that it would step on their single player experience. But the focus has always been solo. Others can't stand the idea of something not being -exactly- the way they want, or reluctant to step out of their comfort zone.
I say I'm up for it, because of all the possibilites stated above.

https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2...ltiplayer-but-its-a-possibility-after-launch/

They are right to be pursuing this, and should not be bothered by the masses. Let's remember the backlash about FPP. Public opinion was against it. They reacted like brats that were disappointed by their christmas presents. The fact that the creators presented the idea convinced them.
It will be the same with Multiplayer.
Multiplayer taking resources from SP would be a legitimate fear, BUT they already said it will launch as a SP title without multiplayer and we should expect no less than W3 so you're right that the focus has always been solo, so I don't really mind what they do and what they want to try afterwards(they might surprise us). However, I would like to see SP support after launch just like they did with W3, but that's just me being hopeful.

No thank you, I don't have any friends to play online with.
And I do not want to play alone....It's just depressing

No thank you, I don't have any friends to play online with.
And I do not want to play alone....It's just depressing

I had nobody to play Destiny 1 with, and ended up using the voice chat on PS4 for the first time because I wanted to raid.
Met a guy that become a friend IRL, we still hang out.
Anyway, it's optional, and I never thought I'd be social while playing a game before. It always seemed like an introspective thing, so I get where you're coming from. Still, would be nice to stay open minded. You never know what can happen, but you're never gonna know for sure if it never gets out.

Top Bottom