Poll: What is your history with Cyberpunk games? When did you first discover this series?

+

Is CP77 your first CP experience?

• I am entirely new to CP

• I only know a little bit about CP but followed this game for years

• I just follow anything created by CDProjekt Red

• Im a longtime fan of the CP series and have read many CP books

• Other

• I played the tabletop games a little bit

• I mainly just watch CP movies, or read some books

Results are only viewable after voting.
I grew up watching Bladerunner, Total Recall, T2, Matrix, GitS, Minority Report, etc., but I just briefly heard about the Cyberpunk tabletop-roleplaying games a couple years ago and never got into them

When I first saw the video of Keanu Reeves being part of this game I was confused about what this even was lol... I know the Witcher is super popular but Im not really a fan of RPGs, still very excited about this game though just cause I want to see all the technology of the future! I know CP is dystopian sci-fi, but I wonder if it will have some scary/horror elements too?

I think I'm more excited about the online multiplayer (even if its a few years away) but I feel like I will need to play the single player a lot to be able to enjoy the multiplayer when it arrives... I hope the story isn't too overwhelming with tons of books detailing the history and lore

Last edited:
I found it at a nerdy book store/cafe in the early 90's, I was in 7th grade, and became obsessed. It was the 3rd TTRPG I played, my first job I got solely to buy books, I used to have a crazy collection, though over the years we probably played more Cybergeneration than Cyberpunk, but we were weird kids so.

hmm.. hard to say. Before this game I was "aware" of the genre but not reallyt aware how much i was into it. When I saw the announcment, I had no idea who cdpr was or or what the witcher was. But Hearing about it sort of kick started a thought "why is this news" and I started looking things up and got into the game and realised how much im into the genre.
Post automatically merged:

For sure though, since then I have gotten a lot into the lore of this particular univerese. Not espcially deeply, but you know, I read a lot of wikis, watched videos.. to the point I am familiar with a lot of the lore. And its inspired me to start reading again.

Discovered it back in 88 when the group i gamed with was looking for another PnP to play. Heard rumors of cp2077 around 2017, been following this ever since.

Ghost in the Shell was my introduction to the genre, Deus Ex when it comes to video games, that or Syndicate but im fairly certain that i played the later long after release

God true. Im sure I also saw ghost in the shell before this.. I dont think I really understood it was cyberpunk or what "cyberpunk" was then though..

lelxrv

Forum veteran
If you're talking the pnp series - I never played it and learned about it only after the announce of CP77 in 2012. I didn't follow that game for a few years because there was barely any information. Then there were first screenshots and videos and I started visiting the official forum a few years ago.

I knew of the genre but never had much of an interest in it. This game though has made me really curious about it since I saw the gameplay at EGX 2019 and has made me look into things like Blade Runner and the Deus Ex games while I wait for the game to come out.

In the early 2000s, I came across some weird animated movie on VHS. Until then, my only contact with animated movies had been with Disney movies like Pinocchio, Peter Pan and the like.

So I rented it on VHS, came home and played it.
The first thing I see is this intro

The movie was called Akira. And my world was never the same.
6edf25a75158c963300a546b52ed1c02.jpg

In the early 2000s, I came across some weird animated movie on VHS. Until then, my only contact with animated movies had been with Disney movies like Pinocchio, Peter Pan and the like.

So I rented it on VHS, came home and played it.
The first thing I see is this intro

The movie was called Akira. And my world was never the same.
After seeing this movie (way back when) this is the anime all others are judged by. IMO one of the best made.

I played the TTRPG when I was a teen and was hella into the lore, but then I strayed away from pen and paper games.

some years later, when the first 2012 announcement happened I was curious if it had anything to do with the cyberpunk I'd initially played and definitely had my curiosity peaked.

I've been following the progression with excitement ever since.

I'm blown away with everything they've managed to create and I haven't even experienced it yet, it's going to get emotional lol

The cyberpunk genre doesn't click with me all that much.I tried getting into the gerne by watching classics such as Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell but I didn't like them.

That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the genre at all.I enjoy the first season of Altered Carbon and Blade Runner 2049.

As for CP2077 I discovered it way back when it was announced in 2012.But it was the 48 minute demo from 2018 that really sold the game to me.

Last edited:
Fan of the Cyberpunk genre since I saw Blade Runner. Didn't know Cyberpunk 2020. But have played Shadowrun (tabletop and pc games). Stumbled on CP2077 early this year. And been diving in the lore and following this after that.

I am a cyberpunk addict, not the game, not Shadow Run, the GENRE. I have read everything by William Gibson, Rudy Rucker, Bruce Sterling, etc. and of course Philip K. Dick. I want to be a deck cowboy like Chase and live the sprawl. As Keanu so aptly said in Johnny Mnemonic, “i could crash you from here.”

neal stephenson is a god.

The absolute pinnacle of cyberpunk....
3C7EDF0B-3FF2-4901-96C6-42A89DEFD6A0.jpeg

I am a cyberpunk addict, not the game, not Shadow Run, the GENRE. I have read everything by William Gibson, Rudy Rucker, Bruce Sterling, etc. and of course Philip K. Dick. I want to be a deck cowboy like Chase and live the sprawl. As Keanu so aptly said in Johnny Mnemonic, “i could crash you from here.”

neal stephenson is a god.

The absolute pinnacle of cyberpunk.....View attachment 11072135

Man, it was so weird reading snow crash because it was the first book I picked back up getting into reading, and book on cyberpunk. I didnt read anything about other than its "on of the cyberpunk books" you should read, so had no idea it was satire.

I have some vague memories of messing around with the rule book in the mid nineties. Kept coming back to it for inspiration for a bunch of other PnP RPGs over the years. Good nerdy times.

I said I'm new to CP even though I knew about the game before (since the first trailer in fact).
The thing is, when I saw the trailer I was like "Okay, seems cool, maybe" but I wasn't actually waiting for it specifically.

It clicked recently when I checked the latest news about the game. There's a lot of things that I like about it. For example, the path they took for character evolution (the fact that there's no specific class but you kinda create your own. It's pretty cool).

Also, I love open world with high replayability value and it seems like CP is just that kind of game so, yeah, I'm on board now...

....And we can "praise the sun" so, what else can we ask for lol

Man, it was so weird reading snow crash because it was the first book I picked back up getting into reading, and book on cyberpunk. I didnt read anything about other than its "on of the cyberpunk books" you should read, so had no idea it was satire.
The Cosa Nostra Pizza delivery in 30 minutes or less probably clued ypu right in at the start. Lol. In many ways that book is pure prophecy. I would not call Stephenson‘s other novels cyberpunk but they’re pretty awesome, the newer ones are a lot lighter than the ones that followed Snowcrash (man they were heavy, i didn’t expect to learn about banking etc when reading my sf lol. )

most cyberpunk has a pretty heavy dose of satire. Gibson has a lot to say. Rucker is hilarious.

Philip K Dick was kinda master at satire. The Man in the High Castle? We Can Remember it for You Wholesale? (Became Total Recall)

Last edited:
Top Bottom