Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for "The Witcher 4"?

+

Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for The Witcher 4?

• Total voters
What I mean is, players who descided Ciri to be the empress, or don't coming back wouldn't be satisfied with that.

Yep, agreed completely. Ciri would be overpowered and since one of the W3 endings is Ciri "not coming back", I don't see how she could be the main character, and nor would I want her to be. I want to play as a male Witcher.

Let's move a few decades down the road - there will likely still be heavy political goings-on with Nilfgaard, ideally some new sorceresses / mages / rulers.

What they need to do is come up with a story that triggers the need for more Witchers, obviously.

Wouldn't mind seeing our Witcher be the son of someone famous as well just to give things a twist / give the character some notoriety.
Or maybe even go in a different direction - have a Witcher created in a corrupt manner where a group of mages / evil organization just want to create a killer / assassin / professional fighter for some nefarious means, but perhaps his conscience overrides those intentions, and he escapes and then finds himself somewhat lost in the world, hated because of his mutations, but trying to survive and make a life for himself and eventually finds himself in a situation to take a contract issued by someone important for some significant coin and realizes that is probably going to be his path and insert main story characters / story plot at this point that he gets pulled into. (I'm just throwing out origin story ideas)

Feel free to share your ideas as well, I'd be interesting in seeing what other folks have as ideas for an origin of a new Witcher.

Also just to add in the event CDPR is reading our crazy ideas - just another side idea - if they are even at all thinking of using Geralt as the main protagonist for a follow up game - they could always build a 3rd DLC package following up Blood & Wine for W3 with the sole intention of setting the story in motion to sort of "prep" for the next game.

Last edited:
I for myself want a story looooong before the events of the books. To be said, "shortly" after the Conjunction of the Spheres. Many monsters/creatures everywhere, there are not many big town in which you can serach for shelter. The time the witchers were made (300 years before te events of the books).
You create your own Witcher, choosing your school (which will make up your starting fighting skllis and specializations) and maybe (even if it is against the lore) you can choose your sex and race. The way you choose your school will make up your tutorial (but only little differences) which is your training, a short time [young, teenager, traing etc.] then you go into the world and hunt for monsters, get contracts etc.

It is another world, not like "Geralt's time". In most parts of the world the witchers are very welcomed, cause you are needed. A great, but secondary quest part is, learning about the monsters/creatures. What I want to say, you fight the monsters, you have to find out and learn, how to fight them, what are their weak points. You will halp to gather infomation and fill books with it. Book which are later read by people like Vesemir to his young witchers. Also the potions are not there so far. They have to be invented. Mayb (only maybe) even the important use of silver isn't known yet and you have to find out, maybe witch other witchers.

No idea what way it will go for such a game: Open world like - You clear out a landscape of monsters and a village can settle down there etc.

But those are all (mainly) secondary stuff.

Main quest (it has to be something like that) something political. As before your protagonsit will stumble without purose in some problems, or even wants to do so, cause of money or stuff. Some mayor of a village make an offer to "not" kill a mosnter, so another village will be in danger etc.
Or you are hired by a king and have to help him. maybe you get so deep into political issues, that you are the reason for the codex, that a witcher have to be always neutral.

Just a couple of ideas.

As you can read, I don' want a game playing after WItcher 3, and I don't want to play a known person. Even if Eskel and lambert and so are great portraited. The best characters CDPR are, are the ones they created by their own: Philipp Strenger, Cerys, Olgierd, Dettlaff, Oriana, Iris. So I want to see a whole world withc new characters. Maybe some small cameos, like Ortolan, maybe an elve (cause they live long) or a sorcerer (who can be there in Geralt#s time cause s/he starts using Ortolan's mandrake elixir.
And because it is an "early" time CDPR can use more and more monsters. Creatures that are long extinct in "Geralt's time".
And you can use the conflict with the humans who are "new" in the world and the wars against the elves and you in the middle... or after the war, when the humans built their cities in the old elve cities, or in the ruins of the former elve cities.

Or the story is set a bit later, while the chapter is built etc.
The past give so many points to start a game ;)

Absolutely I'd love to see Ciri in Witcher 4, I had so fun palying with her in Witcher 3 that definitely I wanted her to be the main protagonist for Witcher 4, meanwhile Vesemir would be also a great choice if it wasn't Ciri, I didn't found the rest that much interesting that made me wanted to see more of their history as a character.

I bet Ciri will never be the protagonist in any Witcher game.
First thing, the game is called Witcher and Ciri is no Witcher. Second if it is a sequel there is only one ending in which Ciri is a "wannabe"-Witcher in the other two endings she is not and it would be not good to force the players again one ending to accept.
And another Plus, CDPR already said, that the Story of Geralt and Ciri is told, so time for something new.

I bet Ciri will never be the protagonist in any Witcher game.
First thing, the game is called Witcher and Ciri is no Witcher. Second if it is a sequel there is only one ending in which Ciri is a "wannabe"-Witcher in the other two endings she is not and it would be not good to force the players again one ending to accept.
And another Plus, CDPR already said, that the Story of Geralt and Ciri is told, so time for something new.

I get your point, although can't deny I had lots of fun while playing with her and wanted to play more as Ciri but I also understand the point that CDPR is trying tomake something new, which I don't mind as well since I trust 100% on them on it comes to do great games.

I don't want to drift away from the thread's topic, but I just want to clear a confusion regarding the "something new" statement. Something new does not necessarily mean new characters, story and world setting. You can have the same characters, same story setting, but the way the developers execute them what makes these things as something new. Making a unique gaming experience is not always about having an idea that did not exist before because the developers can use the same elements they had, but with a totally different implementation.

To me, Ciri looks like an obvious next protagonist. After all, the book series is called "The Saga of the Witcher and Witcherette;" ultimately, it's the story of the Elder Blood. In a sense, Geralt's main mission in life was to find, protect and train her for whatever lies ahead, for that is his predestination. There is some epic mission that the child of the Elder Blood must complete, and I'm not talking about that White Frost easy in, easy out shenanigans. The curse of the Black Sun, perhaps? It's mentioned way too often both in the games and the books, and now that the Wild Hunt is dealt with, it also seems to be the last looming big menace from the books that I can remember. Demons for main antagonists, to be killed rather than to be simply banished, this time? Only Ciri could do such a thing, for even the best "traditional" witcher won't stand a chance against a foe that can freeze time; only the Lady of Time and Space would be their equal. Most certainly, she's going to lose almost all of her awesome powers in the prologue and then set on a quest to regain them. The ultimate witcher takes on the ultimate curse and the ultimate monsters. Sounds pretty good to me.

Playing as Ciri would also allow us to really reconnect with Geralt in Corvo Bianco, perhaps in the prologue, where he would train with her and tell her about his life. Every Witcher game so far had begun with at least some calm moments among friends, and I can't think of a better beginning for a new one.

Oh, and Ciri prefers girls, too, so as always, no sorceress will be safe. An ideal protagonist!

If people would have told me "Events are forbidden" or "People may not come close to eachother anymore" or "Governments utilize lockdowns and curfews" half a year ago, I would have said "That's impossible". Now I know that nothing is impossible anymore, the answer to this question is very clear: Gerald

Geralt or Vesemir. Or even better a new character from way back in the past before any of these characters.

Definitely Eskel. Him being main character gives a lot of room for creating new stories, as he isn't tied to any major plots in Witcher lore, while still being a well established character. Besides, in books he is a really great guy, strong, yet with a soft side and he is like a brother to Geralt. I would love to play as him.

Go with two. Multiple Characters most definitely. It would be awesome if they had different combats, kinda own fighting styles, own weapons they use.

Last edited:
Ciri and Geralt. I doubt they would go for a different protagonist(s). Afterall, the games depend heavily on the books and the infulence Geralt and Zirael made on the public turns them untouchable. The story is generally closed, coming up with a reasonable thing that could spoil peaceful life of characters and "revive" them for a duty again would be pretty hard I guess. Plus, there were different endings to the W3 (and not everyone played DLCs) and it would be hard to make a universal story which would include Ciri and the storyline from B&W. Although you could copy-cat the shaving scene at the beginning of Witcher 3 when you'd choose what happened to Ciri/load a save from W3. That would mean a ton of work for the writers, though. You'd need 3 different plot lines!

Retrospection would be much easier to do. And it could be fun. I'd love to see the Thanedd events and then be able to follow Ciri's path. It would end with her meeting battered Geralt and Yen in the corridors of Stygga castle.

I don't know how would that play out with Sapkowski though. It could also dissapoint a few saga fans who can have different imaginations about the saga's story haha.

That would mean a ton of work for the writers, though. You'd need 3 different plot lines!

It does not necessarily need to be complete three different plots. They could write three different beginnings, but they all converge at a certain part of the game, Like Dragon Age: Origins. Not to mention that CDprojekt already made something big like that in Witcher 2 in choosing between Iorveth and Roche paths.

My personal preference would be a new IP. Maybe CDPR can create an original IP? That'd be great. If it is in the Witcherverse, I'd say a custom character, definitely a Witcher.

I haven't beaten TW3 (reasons, mostly due to waiting for the books in English, marathoning them, TW1, and TW2, playing TW3 for far too long with little progress -- it's how I am with open worlds -- and getting Witcher'd out). I know a bit about how it ends though. That said, CDPR would have to choose a single ending (I don't think imports would work in this case). I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the Geralt, Eskel, and Lambert all end up back Witchering and wintering in Kaer Morhen. If things are bad (they probably are), Yen may get the idea to resurrect the Witchers as an order to help right the world. Geralt would object (obviously), but Yen would win out (also, obviously 😋). This creates a new school and opens up loads of story possibilities. With the mutation research found in Blood and Wine, it's possible that she can recreate the Trials and maybe even improve to some degree. Custom character, definitely. Male only? Maybe. Since this new Trial is built from scratch, it's possible Yen could make it also work for females. They'd need to explain themselves, but I don't think it would be lore breaking (necessarily).

And I already have a name for the game (and the school):
The Witcher: School of the Raven
😀

Top Bottom