Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for "The Witcher 4"?

+

Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for The Witcher 4?

• Total voters
Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for "The Witcher 4"?

Although TW4 might never happen, it would still be interesting to see who you all would like to see as the next protagonist.

My first choice would be multiple characters. I think this is an area that is almost entirely unexplored, and could give a huge amount of depth to the game (Seeing it from multiple perspectives, and all.).

My second choice would be pre-defined characters. Whether it's ones that already exist (Namely Ciri, Eskel, Lambert, and Vesemir.), or ones that they create from scratch, I think it would be awesome.

The only one that I'm routing against is custom. That'll mean a boring, watered-down protagonist, who is totally uninteresting. Think of all of your favorite characters. How many of them are custom?

Updated:

My opinions on each and every option:

Would I like to see him in a future title? No.
What's the chance that we'll see him as the protagonist? 0%.

A. Ciri.
Would I like to see her in a future title? No. She's not a Witcher, she's way O.P., it would make TW3 meaningless, and it would be shoe-horning/pandering/fan-service of the highest tier.
What's the chance that we'll see him as the protagonist? Relatively high. She's well-liked.

B. Young Vesemir.
Would I like to see him in a future title? Yes. There's a lot to tell, and he's a very interesting character. On the plus side, we'd see the Witchers at their peak, an explanation to many things, a strong lead, and prequels don't require TW3's ridiculous number of choices to be taken into account.. On the other hand, we know how his story ends.
What's the chance that we'll see him as the protagonist? Medium.

C. Eskel.
Would I like to see him in a future title? Yes. On the plus side, he's an interesting character, he's Geralt equal in combat, and he's not a "big plot" guy (He's a simple Witcher.). On the other hand, the plot probably wouldn't be very strong.
What's the chance that we'll see him as the protagonist? Relatively low.

D. Lambert.
Would I like to see him in a future title? Yes. On the plus side, he's an interesting character, and he could have a very cool relationship with Keira (They being a team, and all.). On the other hand, he has three different endings, in the game, and they're all pretty different.
What's the chance that we'll see him as the protagonist? Fairly low (Slightly lower than Eskel.).

E. Another Witcher.
Would I like to see one of them in a future title? No. They're all pretty boring, Letho included. Although, he's probably the best of the bunch.
What's the chance that we'll see one of them as the protagonist? Low.

F. A non-Witcher character.
Would I like to see one of them in a future title? Absolutely not. Witchers are what make this game universe special. If I wanted to play as a sorcerer, knight, etc., I'd play any other fantasy game ever made.
What's the chance that we'll see one of them as the protagonist? Fairly low.

A. A Witcher.
Would I like to see him in a future title? Absolutely. C.D.P.R. knows how to craft characters. I'm sure he'll be awesome.
What's the chance we'll see him as the protagonist? Very high.

B. A non-Witcher.
Would I like to see one of them in a future title? Absolutely not. Witchers are what make this game universe special. If I wanted to play as a sorcerer, knight, etc., I'd play any other fantasy game ever made.
What's the chance that we'll see one of them as the protagonist? Somewhat low.

A. A strickly Witcher custom character.
Would I like to see him in a future title? Not even a little, but he's better than the next two options. A big reason is because there's doubtlessly going to be an out-cry for female Witchers, for the sake of pandering, even though that contradicts the lore in many, many ways. But, the main reason is because custom characters generally make games garbage. But, knowing C.D.P.R., I have a feeling that they could make it work.
What's the chance we'll see him as the protagonist? Relatively high.

B. A strickly non-Witcher custom character.
Would I like to see one of them in a future title? Absolute not. Please, please no! :O
What's the chance that we'll see one of them as the protagonist? Incredibly low.

C A Witcher or non-Witcher (The choice is yours.) custom character.
Would I like to see one of them in a future title? Oh, Lord, no.
What's the chance that we'll see one of them as the protagonist? Somewhat low.

Would I like to see this implemented in a future title? 100% yes. This is probably tied with a new, pre-defined Witcher and young Vesemir for my #1 pick. This genre is totally undiscovered (Except for G.T.A. V.), and it provides so many incredible story-telling opportunities. A game like this would be truly legendary.
What's the chance that we'll see this implemented in a future title? Quite low.

Last edited:
To be honest, after i met Geralt i don't know! lol

Anyway, i voted for an custom character.

So everyone should be able to create his dream Geralt. lol

Last edited:
So, my votes!

Pre existing character was one. It would be nice to know more about other Witchers too. Like Vesemir's adventures with that mysterious lady we saw in HoS. I still don't like Ciri that much, so not her. Lambert and Eskel would be fine too, but I think that Vesemir has most potential. Although Lambert might be most "colorful".

Custom character is a bit complicated. It should be made so, that it gives you possibilities to really choose who you are and not only the looks. Like that there would be three different endings and paths depending if you are nice and helpful person, smart ass or evil and sneaky bastard. I liked it in Dragon Age Origins, that with making few "wrong" choices you can actually piss of your friend so that he/she leaves forever and that you can't please everyone by being neutral. It might be quite a challenge for developers do to this, since three different stories and endings might be quite impossible to do properly. Still, custom character is basically boring if story is still practically the same every time no matter how you choose to behave.

And then pre defined. This might be the most interesting choice for me. And yet most complicated. It would be really nice to see CDPR making their very own sword/middle ages game. But if it's put in Witcher world, it isn't really their very own. So they would just borrow that existing world and it's characters to make their own game and that doesn't sound quite fair. How could they magically make new Witcher in that world? Or would it be Scoiatel game? Iorveth?

So, my votes!

Pre existing character was one. It would be nice to know more about other Witchers too. Like Vesemir's adventures with that mysterious lady we saw in HoS. I still don't like Ciri that much, so not her. Lambert and Eskel would be fine too, but I think that Vesemir has most potential. Although Lambert might be most "colorful".

Custom character is a bit complicated. It should be made so, that it gives you possibilities to really choose who you are and not only the looks. Like that there would be three different endings and paths depending if you are nice and helpful person, smart ass or evil and sneaky bastard. I liked it in Dragon Age Origins, that with making few "wrong" choices you can actually piss of your friend so that he/she leaves forever and that you can't please everyone by being neutral. It might be quite a challenge for developers do to this, since three different stories and endings might be quite impossible to do properly. Still, custom character is basically boring if story is still practically the same every time no matter how you choose to behave.

And then pre defined. This might be the most interesting choice for me. And yet most complicated. It would be really nice to see CDPR making their very own sword/middle ages game. But if it's put in Witcher world, it isn't really their very own. So they would just borrow that existing world and it's characters to make their own game and that doesn't sound quite fair. How could they magically make new Witcher in that world? Or would it be Scoiatel game? Iorveth?

Dang good post!

They have made many characters, already. I don't see why they can't make another.

Dragon Age: Origins is such a fascinating game. Custom characters have been a major con to just about every game that includes them, except for that one. Their custom character system made the game so much more incredible. I can't describe it, partially because I don't understand it.

Voted "pre-defined new character", with the existing cast being retired and not appearing in the game at all. This approach might be the most challenging, but in my opinion also the best if done right.

While I am not entirely against the idea of a player created custom character, it does impose some limitations on how the story can be written, especially when it comes to the "personal" aspects of it, it is difficult to implement well developed relationships with a generic protagonist that can be anyone. On the other hand, it does allow for more freedom when it comes to role playing, so it has advantages as well, even if it requires the most resources (in terms of writing, dialogues, voice acting, etc.) to actually make the character customization meaningful.

I would not want more games with Geralt, continuing with him might be the safest from a marketing point of view, but his character is now pre-defined too much, so it would limit the potential of what can be done in a sequel, and there is no particular narrative reason either to continue his story to which closure has already been brought. It would also devalue The Witcher 3 somewhat that it is no longer the end of a trilogy, and its endings would most likely all have to lead to a single world state which renders them meaningless, and possibly also make Geralt's character even more pre-defined. Not to mention the market would just keep demanding more Geralt sequels, and it would be difficult to take statements that his story is over (this time for real) seriously. At some point it has to end, why not now when it has been wrapped up nicely ?

In my opinion, a Ciri sequel would combine the disadvantages of a new protagonist and Geralt, so I do not like that idea either (nor would I want to play as her in general, but that is subjective). It would already give up the established and successful main character of the series and require writing mostly new characters and relationships, while it would also lack the creative freedom offered by a completely new cast and have the world state import issues similarly to Geralt.

So, I prefer a pre-defined new character (not from the books) and a story that is not a continuation of the trilogy. The new protagonist could then be developed over more games until that story ends, too. Obviously, it would not be easy, but CDPR have always been ambitious and it would also allow for the writers to show their talents without relying mostly on someone else's already existing work. :)

Geralt or A Pre-Defined, New Character.
For me the best option.

Ciri is no choice.
Btw, aren't there already threads about that ?

Last edited:
Voted "pre-defined new character", with the existing cast being retired and not appearing in the game at all. This approach might be the most challenging, but in my opinion also the best if done right.

While I am not entirely against the idea of a player created custom character, it does impose some limitations on how the story can be written, especially when it comes to the "personal" aspects of it, it is difficult to implement well developed relationships with a generic protagonist that can be anyone. On the other hand, it does allow for more freedom when it comes to role playing, so it has advantages as well, even if it requires the most resources (in terms of writing, dialogues, voice acting, etc.) to actually make the character customization meaningful.

I would not want more games with Geralt, continuing with him might be the safest from a marketing point of view, but his character is now pre-defined too much, so it would limit the potential of what can be done in a sequel, and there is no particular narrative reason either to continue his story to which closure has already been brought. It would also devalue The Witcher 3 somewhat that it is no longer the end of a trilogy, and its endings would most likely all have to lead to a single world state which renders them meaningless, and possibly also make Geralt's character even more pre-defined. Not to mention the market would just keep demanding more Geralt sequels, and it would be difficult to take statements that his story is over (this time for real) seriously. At some point it has to end, why not now when it has been wrapped up nicely ?

In my opinion, a Ciri sequel would combine the disadvantages of a new protagonist and Geralt, so I do not like that idea either (nor would I want to play as her in general, but that is subjective). It would already give up the established and successful main character of the series and require writing mostly new characters and relationships, while it would also lack the creative freedom offered by a completely new cast and have the world state import issues similarly to Geralt.

So, I prefer a pre-defined new character (not from the books) and a story that is not a continuation of the trilogy. The new protagonist could then be developed over more games until that story ends, too. Obviously, it would not be easy, but CDPR have always been ambitious and it would also allow for the writers to show their talents without relying mostly on someone else's already existing work. :)

I agree with absolutely everything you said, there. Right on.

---------- Updated at 09:25 AM ----------

Geralt or A Pre-Defined, New Character.
For me the best option.

Ciri is no choice.
Btw, aren't there already threads about that ?

Geralt really isn't an option. C.D.P.R. has said that there's no way its happening. At this point, the question is if we'll even get a fourth game, at all.

Yes, but it had three options (One of which was simply "Ciri".), and it also had a number of other topic related to the future of the franchise. This one is a bit more fleshed-out and specific, hence why it hasn't been merged with the other threads.

I know, but for me only this two options are the best. Nothing else ;)

I respect that.

To be fair, though, one negative effect that even the pro-Geralt-in-TW4 crowd would have to agree with is the fact that him being the protagonist in another Witcher game would mean the endings of TW3 (Which every decision in the trilogy led up to.) being meaningless. That would be a major let down.

being meaningless
Na, because in the end you can say to Regis you want to stop monster hunting or not. There is a backdoor :D
I know the chances for that are low.... just hard to think no more geralt.

In this case A Pre-Defined new Character would be the best, because it's the only way we get attached to a person like we all are to geralt.

Opinions or statements can also change.

Yep.

Na, because in the end you can say to Regis you want to stop monster hunting or not. There is a backdoor :D
I know the chances for that are low.... just hard to think no more geralt.

In this case A Pre-Defined new Character would be the best, because it's the only way we get attached to a person like we all are to geralt.

Regarding the back-door: that is true, but isn't it heavily implied in the "red" ending to the main game that
Geralt dies
?

Regarding a pre-defined character: I totally agree. It looks like I'm the only one hoping for multiple protagonists, though. 8)

---------- Updated at 09:37 AM ----------

Opinions or statements can also change.

To a certain degree.

Top Bottom