Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for "The Witcher 4"?

+

Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for The Witcher 4?

• Total voters
Geralt dies

Well, i dont see a problem here.
You can get the geralt dies ending in the main game, but HoS and B&W are still possible :D

Geralt is like the terminator... he can't really die :lol:

It looks like I'm the only one hoping for multiple protagonists, though.

Well, in my opinion the GTA style wouldn't work.
But who knows.

Last edited:
I once had a somewhat crazy idea, after seeing how well received the expansions for The Witcher 3 were. The idea was that RED's should make fourth Witcher game basically a short stories collection, akin to Last Wish, Sword of Destiny and Season of Storms (Sapkowski may call that a novel, but for me it's another short stories anthology). Each chapter tells a different story, with new characters and in new location (let's say the size of a bigger White Orchard), though some of it may also intertwine. You can create your protagonist, choose between different classes (not just witcher), then you can play through the same short story each time as a different character, sometimes coming across characters from the novels and previous games. When you move to the next story, you can choose to create a new character or use your character from the previous one, thus continuing it's story. The idea is to let the player fully experience the larger scope of this world by participating in multiple different stories in multiple different locations as multiple different protagonists, basically true Witcher RPG. On top of that, there would be no problem with adding some expansions later on and RED's would have an easier job in crafting and balancing bunch of smaller maps, then one huge one.

I once had a somewhat crazy idea, after seeing how well received the expansions for The Witcher 3 were. The idea was that RED's should make fourth Witcher game basically a short stories collection, akin to Last Wish, Sword of Destiny and Season of Storms (Sapkowski may call that a novel, but for me it's another short stories anthology). Each chapter tells a different story, with new characters and in new location (let's say the size of a bigger White Orchard), though some of it may also intertwine. You can create your protagonist, choose between different classes (not just witcher), then you can play through the same short story each time as a different character, sometimes coming across characters from the novels and previous games. When you move to the next story, you can choose to create a new character or use your character from the previous one, thus continuing it's story. The idea is to let the player fully experience the larger scope of this world by participating in multiple different stories in multiple different locations as multiple different protagonists, basically true Witcher RPG. On top of that, there would be no problem with adding some expansions later on and RED's would have an easier job in crafting and balancing bunch of smaller maps, then one huge one.

I completely agree (I had the same idea myself.), but I only saw it being successfully implemented as a D.L.C., each. When you think about it, most of the 15 (Or so.) short stories are 95% talking, and 5% combat. Additionally, they are all very short. It's not enough, or worthy of, being a full game, in my opinion, but it would make some of the best D.L.C. out there, whether free or paid.

No offense, but that wouldn't had much to do with the witcher that we know and love. Short stories, minigames, different characters or creating your own characters for each episode... meh.
I'm against that :p

I would love to have more focus on the side characters in the witcher universe. Maybe not a witcher this time but an average joe with more focus on the conflicts rather than the monster hunting. Since the lore is so rich i would love more focus and those incidents, but maybe thats just me!

No offense, but that wouldn't had much to do with the witcher that we know and love. Short stories, minigames, different characters or creating your own characters for each episode... meh.
I'm against that :p

It would still be Geralt.

Think of your average side-quest. It would be the exact same thing, but it would canonically take place in another time period.

No offense taken. :D

---------- Updated at 10:20 AM ----------

I would love to have more focus on the side characters in the witcher universe. Maybe not a witcher this time but an average joe with more focus on the conflicts rather than the monster hunting. Since the lore is so rich i would love more focus and those incidents, but maybe thats just me!

It sounds like more a spin-off than a main Witcher game. After all, the title IS "The Witcher". :p

It sounds like more a spin-off than a main Witcher game. After all, the title IS "The Witcher". :p

I understand that, its just that i miss lets say the history that shaped the world. Like maybe the occupation of cintra, or maybe how the northern realms became hated by the scoia 'tael etc. Those are heavy lore happenings that had a major impact on geralts life. So yes it would be a spin off, but expanding on the universe seems like the only hope we got right now that the witcher 3 is officially done.

I always vote for a Witcher 4 game with Lambert as the protagonist. Imagine the dialogue choices...

"Ghoul's nest. Oughta just destroy it." becomes "Those little Nekker f*cks!"

"Show me your wares." is now "Is that a bottle of Mahakaman mead in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see money."

And the choices for any moral quandry becomes:

Shove them aside. Forcefully.
Insult them. Forcefully.
Axii them and take their money. Forcefully.

my vote -custom character, but not entirely player customized.. something like a choice to select one of three characters, each with slightly different personality.. this way, amount of voiceacting will be not through the roof, while player would have option to start the game multiple times to get a different experience entirely.

I don't want a Witcher 4. I think making sequels or prequels for the sake of making them is plain stupid. But if it comes to that I want to play Eskel. Definitly Eskel. Or Letho. I like the idea of multi characters too.

As much as I don't like to admit it I strongly believe the Witcher franchise is done going forward.

I want prequels with Geralt that shed more light on the Wild Hunt and what happened before the trilogy. The stuff that Witcher 3 failed to bring to light. For example a game set during the time Geralt followed the Wild Hunt in order to rescue Yennefer and during the time he rode with the Wild hunt.

Or a hard reboot of the series with a really green and young Geralt who sets out on the path for the first time.

Or no Witchers at all. I don't see a point in making another Witcher game without Geralt and the rest of the crew. Geralt, Yennefer, Ciri, Triss, Vesemir, Dandelion, and the rest of the cast are why I love the Witcher. Geralt is the Witcher for me, and no one can replace him. In that case I'd like a game, not called the Witcher, that takes place in the Witcher universe. There are many possibilities such as a Scoiata'el leader such as Iorveth and ...

my vote -custom character, but not entirely player customized.. something like a choice to select one of three characters, each with slightly different personality.. this way, amount of voiceacting will be not through the roof, while player would have option to start the game multiple times to get a different experience entirely.

The problem with this is that the budget will never increase, it will only get stretched.

So, rather than one amazing voice actor, you'll most likely have three that are mediocre. You'll have to record three times the lines compared to what it would be if it were just one person.

For animations (Especially combat animations.), you'll have to record every action three times, once for each character (Unless they all use the exact same body model, but this would be unlikely.). This would mean less in the way of combat animations.

The faces would also be less detailed. That's how it is with all custom-character games. Rather than spend ages making a face as complex as Geralt's, you'll have a face that looks much more like a side-character's.

Over-all, the more customization there is, the more the watered down the game becomes. Whether they stretch the budget to accommodate, or reallocate money, it always ends up being less of a product.

Think of any BioWare R.P.G.. Name one memorable protagonist from those games. Tell me about their memorable fighting styles, or their memorable face. Now, think of Geralt.

See what I'm saying?

The problem with this is that the budget will never increase, it will only get stretched.

So, rather than one amazing voice actor, you'll most likely have three that are mediocre. You'll have to record three times the lines compared to what it would be if it were just one person.

For animations (Especially combat animations.), you'll have to record every action three times, once for each character (Unless they all use the exact same body model, but this would be unlikely.). This would mean less in the way of combat animations.

The faces would also be less detailed. That's how it is with all custom-character games. Rather than spend ages making a face as complex as Geralt's, you'll have a face that looks much more like a side-character's.

Over-all, the more customization there is, the more the watered down the game becomes. Whether they stretch the budget to accommodate, or reallocate money, it always ends up being less of a product.

Think of any BioWare R.P.G.. Name one memorable protagonist from those games. Tell me about their memorable fighting styles, or their memorable face. Now, think of Geralt.

See what I'm saying?
Well, you could be on something here, but to tell the truth, Geralt is pretty tabula rasa/clean slate as far as games go. What actually defies him is his looks and that's it, actually. Many people will tell you diffrent things about playstyle of Shephard or Revan, but in the end, all of the fighting options are also pre-made, you're only going for choices that are given to you with ability trees, just like with Geralt.

That's why I don't get people critcizing Witcher games because of Geralt, when you define the character like in many Bioware games for example, only diffrence being you make face.

Well, you could be on something here, but to tell the truth, Geralt is pretty tabula rasa/clean slate as far as games go. What actually defies him is his looks and that's it, actually. Many people will tell you diffrent things about playstyle of Shephard or Revan, but in the end, all of the fighting options are also pre-made, you're only going for choices that are given to you with ability trees, just like with Geralt.

That's why I don't get people critcizing Witcher games because of Geralt, when you define the character like in many Bioware games for example, only diffrence being you make face.

I don't know...Geralt's voice acting is pretty iconic. :p

Also, I don't think Geralt is a clean slate. There are definitely some options as to what you want to do, but, more or less, he's a guy set in his ways. His personality was set in stone by the books, and even by the games, to a certain extent.

But, with the rest, I agree.

I don't know...Geralt's voice acting is pretty iconic. :p

Also, I don't think Geralt is a clean slate. There are definitely some options as to what you want to do, but, more or less, he's a guy set in his ways. His personality was set in stone by the books, and even by the games, to a certain extent.

But, with the rest, I agree.
Geralt is diffrent in the books. I mean, obviously they had to change things for the game to not be total boredom, like in the books he rarely used signs and potions and was carrying one sword, but the most important aspect of book Geralt would be no taking sides and if he would take side, he would only do it for a friend and not "greater good" or something. Like with TW2, Geralt would never side with Roche, instead he would go with Scoiatel only because of Zoltan (like he actually states in the game). In TW3, he wouldn't take payment for finding Ciri and give her away, for example. He would only use Emhyr resources, take Ciri with him and that's it, and yet here you have choices. You also have a choice of doing some contracts for free, which book Geralt wouldn't go for, just like he wouldn't go for Triss. At first it could look like Geralt personality is set in stone, but with all the choices, YOU create Geralt and the outcome.

With the voice acting - so is Shephard etc.

I don't want a Witcher 4. I think making sequels or prequels for the sake of making them is plain stupid. But if it comes to that I want to play Eskel. Definitly Eskel. Or Letho. I like the idea of multi characters too.
making sequels is not just for the sake of making them, it's just like the three witcher games: there were not made just for the sake of making them, so it's not stupid at all,
a sequel for example can be as good as tw3

making sequels is not just for the sake of making them, it's just like the three witcher games: there were not made just for the sake of making them, so it's not stupid at all,
a sequel for example can be as good as tw3

Or better, even. Considering how every single Witcher game has been better than the last, I think that this is very likely.

Considering how every single Witcher game has been better than the last
I don't think so. TW1 was better than TW2 in many ways and for me overall is better, and the plot of TW3 (base game) is actually the worst of the series. In technical execution, i.e. graphics, world size, 3D models, voiceovers, added horse riding mechanics, TW3 is the best of the series but not in its main component: the story (since TW3 is a story-driven ARPG).

Anyway, I would buy new expansions for TW3 like HoS, or EE version if it will fix most of the game fundamental issues. But I don't want a TW4 without Geralt as a main character. The Witcher is Geralt. Another thing, because the "bad" ending was the most well-written ending, for me it is the canon ending, so Geralt has died. TW4 without Geralt will loose its heart and will be just a cash grab praying on fans nostalgia. I don't mind a game in the witcher's world that will be named differently though, but that's not gonna happen in our brad centered world of business. Ciri as a main character in any game would be a disaster, of course, due to her being a "Mary Sue" character (in the books too).

Top Bottom