Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for "The Witcher 4"?

+

Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for The Witcher 4?

• Total voters
If they go with a custom made character *bethesda style" don't expect any great storyline or characters. It will be very generic.
That's a bad idea in my opinion. Just look at the witcher triology with Geralt and all other characters and their bonds.In witcher 3 we meet people from the first two games and it really feels great seeing them again and nostalgic. We also get more attached to Geralt and his friends knowing more with each game and time moving on.
To put it in a nutshell, with a generic custom made protagonist you can forget all that.

If they go with a custom made character *bethesda style" don't expect any great storyline or characters. It will be very generic.

It is not necessarily true that a custom character makes a great story or characters impossible. It is a limitation when it comes to "personal" story lines and relationships, but not really to those not related to the protagonist. For example, if you took TW3 and replaced Geralt with some random player defined character, that could indeed "break" interactions with characters like Ciri, Triss, or Yennefer, but the story of the Bloody Baron or Olgierd von Everec would still be fine. It is a matter of whether the benefits of a custom character are worth the compromises it requires.

I prefer going with one of the characters in the books, not with a Fallout 4 alike, wouldn't like that.

Last edited:

Yep. That's why strictly against that.
You simply cannot be connected to the main characters this way like we all are to Geralt for example.

Last edited:
Geralt. Plain and simple. Difficult but why would it be impossible for him to be the protagonist? Storywise, anything can happen, he's still an active witcher. I just like him to much to be replaced. I've discussed this with W3 Fan-friends and only one wants a Ciri focused witcher.

100% Geralt

Geralt. Plain and simple. Difficult but why would it be impossible for him to be the protagonist?

It is not that it would be difficult, in fact, more Geralt sequels would be the "lazy" and low risk option compared to starting anew with a different protagonist who would need to be written from scratch. Writing your own characters obviously requires more talent than just copying someone else's already existing work. But if done right, it also has more potential for an interesting story, new characters, relationships, etc. With Geralt, there is not much room left to tell anything new about him. That is probably why he was retired in The Witcher 3.

I've discussed this with W3 Fan-friends and only one wants a Ciri focused witcher.

It is understandable from fans' point of view to want more of what they are already familiar with. But every story has to end at some point, either because it has reached its conclusion (the good case, which we already have with Geralt), or it eventually becomes bad enough that the sequels no longer sell. Although I would rather not see Ciri as the protagonist either, and prefer an entirely new cast of characters written from the beginning in a way that makes their relationships and conflicts well suited to an RPG with potential for a sequel or even a new trilogy, and a story that is not a continuation of Wild Hunt.

Having said that, I would not mind another expansion or two for TW3, even if that seems very unlikely to happen. I suspect when the plan was made to create only two, it might not have been expected that the game will be so successful and still so popular even a year after its release. Although there would be some difficulties (both gameplay and story related) with integrating even more expansion content into the main game, but the expansion(s) could also be implemented as separate smaller games or side-stories.

Last edited:
Geralt. Plain and simple. Difficult but why would it be impossible for him to be the protagonist? Storywise, anything can happen, he's still an active witcher. I just like him to much to be replaced.
>8 novels, 11 comic books, 3 games, 2 movies (one in production) and TV series about Geralt
>Fans still want him as main character
I wish to be at least 10% as popular as he xD

A Vesemir Prequel would be awesome, or a dimension jumping Ciri. Frankly, all the existing Witcher characters are cool. Forgetting the smartass one - that could be good too

Pre-existing character please, with lots of story and romance options :)

I don`t like these generic story- and heartless chars every other fantasy game offers, half a million options for breast size and nose, but no heart and soul and no story and no sarkasm and no black humour and Twilight-style romances and nothing...
And no matter how many of these heart- and soulless generic chars I have built during my gaming years, Witcher 3 Triss was the only one that really looked like me, every generic char I created looked like...whatever, a blonde Barbarian or something like that which I begun to hate some gaming hours later... :D

Only well made pre-existing characters with perfect voice-over synchros are fascinating and with deep interesting soul and storyline :)

A pre-existing character, as long as it's not Ciri.

I'm not a big fan of romancing, so I wouldn't mind if there was none of that.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone's suggested this yet, but I would think Ciri's future child would be a logical choice, given that they're prophesied to essentially usurp control over the Continent in the books. If nothing else, I think they should at least play a major role. As for custom characters, I'd actually be alright seeing a custom witcher, provided that the player gets to thoroughly build their personality from the ground up from childhood to adulthood. Custom characters can be strong, they just need to actually be given a chance to develop instead of simply being plopped in to the world without explanation.

I'd like to see a witcher from some lesser school with some solid background but customizeable looks, personally. Using one of Geralt's friends would feel like milking to me.
Perhaps someone ambitious and inventive enough to allow more profound signs/alchemy/distant combat gameplay.

Eskel is all set up too be the new protagonist IMO. His very similar to Geralt. In the books Triss says he has more sexual magnetism then Geralt and so she refuses to even shake his hand for more then a minute for fear of lusting for him. His cool, calm and collected and he leaves Kaer Morhen at the end of the main storyline. An older Eskel wandering the earth is what I'm hoping for.

Eskel is all set up too be the new protagonist IMO. His very similar to Geralt. In the books Triss says he has more sexual magnetism then Geralt and so she refuses to even shake his hand for more then a minute for fear of lusting for him. His cool, calm and collected and he leaves Kaer Morhen at the end of the main storyline. An older Eskel wandering the earth is what I'm hoping for.

Pretty good idea, but was it sexual magnetism or magical power/aura? I just thought she sensed that Eskel was stronger magically than Geralt.

I think @Frybread is correct. Also, Eskel doesn't necessarily leave Kaer Morhen. You can convince him to stay.
We will have to go back to the source material I guess. Im fairly certain it's a sexual aura/magnetism and it made Triss 'uncomfortable'. The problem with doing a direct sequel to the witcher 3 though is the fact that you have to take into consideration all the different ending possibilities and create a different narrative for each one if you want to stay true to the lore you've created with your choices. That's where things start to get far to complex. For example is Ciri alive or dead, empress or witcher? Is Dijkstra ruling the North or Radovid? Who is ruling Skellige? Lambert/ Metz alive or dead? ....etc, The possible solutions if we use Eskel as a supposed example of a possible protagonist is. The game needs to be set in other lands far away from the ones already used like Kovir and Poviss, Zerrakania and Ofier, that way you don't really have to address those issues deeply. They simply put in a world building cut scene like the one with Voorhis and establish if Ciri is alive or dead and is Geralt with Triss or Yen for example. That way they can make cameo appearances like Sile and Letho. Or have an Older Eskel play the protagonist in which you create an entirely new political narrative. Otherwise a prequel with a young Vesimir would be far easier.

Last edited:
We will have to go back to the source material I guess. Im fairly certain it's a sexual aura/magnetism and it made Triss 'uncomfortable'. The problem with doing a direct sequel to the witcher 3 though is the fact that you have to take into consideration all the different ending possibilities and create a different narrative for each one if you want to stay true to the lore you've created with your choices. That's where things start to get far to complex. For example is Ciri alive or dead, empress or witcher? Is Dijkstra ruling the North or Radovid? Who is ruling Skellige? Lambert/ Metz alive or dead? ....etc, The possible solutions if we use Eskel as a supposed example of a possible protagonist is. The game needs to be set in other lands far away from the ones already used like Kovir and Poviss, Zerrakania and Ofier, that way you don't really have to address those issues deeply. They simply put in a world building cut scene like the one with Voorhis and establish if Ciri is alive or dead and is Geralt with Triss or Yen for example. That way they can make cameo appearances like Sile and Letho. Or have an Older Eskel play the protagonist in which you create an entirely new political narrative. Otherwise a prequel with a young Vesimir would be far easier.

I think they could easily accommodate the three political endings. Just stay away from politics. Besides Geralt, all of the other Witchers avoid politics whenever possible. Just change the soldiers to Redanian if Djikstra or Radovid win, and Nilfgaardian if Emyhr wins.

Or, alternatively, make them Nilfgaardian, no matter what. Sapkowski and C.D.P.R. have given the impression on multiple occasions that Nilfgaard is this unstoppable force that will eventually take over the world. And, since the throne belongs to Ciri, and her child is destined to conquer the entire world, it makes sense. Personally, I think this would be pretty cool.

Yes...it would render our choices moot, but Andrzej Sapkowski has already done that for us, when he shared that prophecy, in one of the books.

Is this actually possible ? As far as I know, even if you tell him to stay, he still leaves.

"staying in Kaer Morhen" doesn't mean "living there forever". He would still go out on the Path, but come back during the Winter. If you don't convince him to, he'll say that he's never coming back, period, due to the sadness that the old fortress brings him.

Pretty good idea, but was it sexual magnetism or magical power/aura? I just thought she sensed that Eskel was stronger magically than Geralt.

I do not remember if Triss actually say something (in other occasions) about Eskel's aura, but in 'Blood of Elves' book is described only her reaction to Eskel's touch.

''It was Eskel’s behaviour which was most unlikely; he got up, approached the enchantress, bent down low, took her hand and kissed it respectfully. She swiftly withdrew her hand. Not so as to demonstrate her anger and annoyance but to break the pleasant, piercing vibration triggered by the witcher’s touch. Eskel emanated powerfully. More powerfully than Geralt.
“Triss,” he said, rubbing the hide-ous scar on his cheek with embarrassment, “help us. We ask you. Help us, Triss.”

Top Bottom