Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for "The Witcher 4"?

+

Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for The Witcher 4?

• Total voters
Lots of writing here and hopefully it won't be a waste of time. I was nearly in tears when I found out that the next Witcher is not in production. The number of sold copies of the Witcher series had proven to be increasingly positive and the wild hunt is considered to be one of the top RPG tier games. Although CDPR is investing in Cyberpunk but my question is why? Did the profit that you made with the wild hunt not indicate anything? Can you not see a trend from the first Witcher? If the Witcher series fans were not your truly fan for the sake of witcher fantasy, they would've spent their money and most of the time on Deus EX. The Witcher series is unique and special and will always be. I really hope that this is not going on the same path as Battlefield bad company 2, where EA simply said that they did not know what gamers loved so much about BC2.6 years since the release date and we still play BC2 but EA does not simply care. If it is true that CDPR has walked away from TW series, I will then do the same with a hope that I will find something else similar,the best of all time, TW.

Although CDPR is investing in Cyberpunk but my question is why? Did the profit that you made with the wild hunt not indicate anything? Can you not see a trend from the first Witcher?
Because they are doing Witcher for over ten years, people simply burn out from this. I'm not a biggest fan of cyberpunk, but I understand their wish to make something different for a change.

While I was doing Va Fail Elaine preparations yesterday, I noticed yet again that Eskel said something about: "We had an excuse for why we didn't make new witchers before... but now we need to talk about this again. Later."

There's an obvious backdoor into the franchise, if prequels are off the table.

Sure, he's pretty much devastated after the Battle of Kaer Morhen and leaves the place, but there seems to be one witcher at least who realizes that they live in a world with hundreds of thousands of drowners, nekkers, ghouls and hundreds of draconids, relicts, spectres, insectoids, ogroids, etc etc behind every second corner. And that it might be a good idea if the witchers as monster fighters don't just die out, while the monsters keep breeding so vigorously.

Eskel also likes Korvir (because that's where the big money is being made), and all the sorcerors are in Korvir now; that's useful, since magic seems to be needed for the process, at least to some degree. Let's just pray that he won't chose that despicable Triss as a helping mage, since that'd pull him right into the annoying court intruiges that come bundled with that, but whatever.

Since Geralt is off to that Touissant holiday and to retire there with his Yen, since Lambert is off frolicking with his new ladyfriend, and since reinstating witchers is more than a 1 person job, he might have to arrange cooperation with survivors of other witcher schools (Letho! dude from Beast of Honorton! dude with manticore armor!), which might be really fun, and maybe open up more signs than just Axii, Aard, Quen, Igni, Yrden. Who knows what fancy signs the other schools teached.

The main character could either be Eskel or a next-gen witcher.

- Geralt, I am afraid, has retired.
- Lambert + Keira is a bit too similar to Geralt's adventures with his Yen. Might be fun to play in Lambert style, of course, but we can do that already (axii and those mad social skillz for dialogue choices ("hey, you retards! let us through or we'll beat you to pulp!"))
- Ciri would be dull and duller "THE CHOSEN ONE with SUPERHERO POWERS!"
- some random derp who turns into THE SAVIOUR and ARCHMAGE and MASTER THIEF and CHAMPION OF THE ARENA like in the Elderscrolls games is frigging annoying (that's the "custom character" option, right?)

Last edited:
Although CDPR is investing in Cyberpunk but my question is why? Did the profit that you made with the wild hunt not indicate anything? Can you not see a trend from the first Witcher?

The story of The Witcher series has reached its conclusion, and, as someone else already noted above, the developers worked on it for more than a decade already. While the possibility of a new story in the Witcher universe (most likely with different characters) was not excluded in some future game, they want to try something different now. If anything, making a sequel just because the current game is commercially successful would be the attitude to be more worried about.

If it is true that CDPR has walked away from TW series, I will then do the same with a hope that I will find something else similar,the best of all time, TW.

It is a bit too early to write off Cyberpunk 2077, what if it turns out to be at least as good as The Witcher series ? :)

While I was doing Va Fail Elaine preparations yesterday, I noticed yet again that Eskel said something about: "We had an excuse for why we didn't make new witchers before... but now we need to talk about this again. Later."

Time to wheel out Sad Albert. ;)

I also played through that quest yesterday (Or, was it the day before?), and a question popped into my head. I'll have to make another thread about it, though, so as to not go off-topic. :p

Ciri would be dull and duller "THE CHOSEN ONE with SUPERHERO POWERS!"

Ciri is the most likely option, though myself I don't find it that appealing. I was thinking about how to make that idea somehow work and the only sensible option I think is mutating Ciri in the full witcher. Controversial idea, I admit, but let us look at the possibilities it offers.

Ciri already completed the physical training that all the future witchers need to endure before Trial of Grasses. In TW3 we have Yen doing half of the trial, which should gave ger some idea about how to do it properly. Now why would Ciri get through the trial if she already working as a monster slayer? The most logical idea is something like a new main antagonist giving her trashing, poisoning her in the process with something that would most likely slowly and painfully kill her. She is saved by Yen, but the poison is still killing her and it turns out the proper witcher mutations are the only thing that can save her life, so Yen and Eskel gets her through the full trial. She survives, barely, but her body suffers a lot, since the mutations were made for boys only, Even with magical aid it takes many months, before she's able to move on her own. When she gets up, she's still seriously weakened (to explain why she needs to learn all the old skills again) and due to the genetical changes her Elder Blood powers are severely limited (she's no longer teleporting anywhere she wants at will, only short distances at best; she can still activate portals, but only in a very specific places). However in the process she gains heightened witcher senses and poison resistance. If you want to go even further, mutation may make her mentally unstable, thus giving player the option to rewrite her personality. She can still act as an idealist in a rotten world, like a professional witcher or go back to cynical Falka attitude she was displaying in the books.

Yes, I know it kinda farfetched, but I really think it's the only way to make Ciri as the main protagonist work.

Mate, if I enjoyed cyber genre, I would own Deus Ex. I do respect CDPR for the quality wise, sadly I wont be supporting their next game.

If I enjoyed the fantasy genre, I would just go watch Lord of the Rings.

Do you see the gaping hole in your logic, there? :p

Deux Ex came from somewhere. I can guarantee you that it wasn't the company's first game. When they announced they were making a cyber-punk game, I'm sure there was one fan out there who said:

"Mate, if I enjoyed cyber genre, I would own [Insert cyber-punk title here.] I do respect [Insert Deus Ex's developers here.] for the quality wise, sadly I wont be supporting their next game."

---------- Updated at 08:13 PM ----------

Ciri is the most likely option, though myself I don't find it that appealing. I was thinking about how to make that idea somehow work and the only sensible option I think is mutating Ciri in the full witcher. Controversial idea, I admit, but let us look at the possibilities it offers.

Ciri already completed the physical training that all the future witchers need to endure before Trial of Grasses. In TW3 we have Yen doing half of the trial, which should gave ger some idea about how to do it properly. Now why would Ciri get through the trial if she already working as a monster slayer? The most logical idea is something like a new main antagonist giving her trashing, poisoning her in the process with something that would most likely slowly and painfully kill her. She is saved by Yen, but the poison is still killing her and it turns out the proper witcher mutations are the only thing that can save her life, so Yen and Eskel gets her through the full trial. She survives, barely, but her body suffers a lot, since the mutations were made for boys only, Even with magical aid it takes many months, before she's able to move on her own. When she gets up, she's still seriously weakened (to explain why she needs to learn all the old skills again) and due to the genetical changes her Elder Blood powers are severely limited (she's no longer teleporting anywhere she wants at will, only short distances at best; she can still activate portals, but only in a very specific places). However in the process she gains heightened witcher senses and poison resistance. If you want to go even further, mutation may make her mentally unstable, thus giving player the option to rewrite her personality. She can still act as an idealist in a rotten world, like a professional witcher or go back to cynical Falka attitude she was displaying in the books.

Yes, I know it kinda farfetched, but I really think it's the only way to make Ciri as the main protagonist work.

I don't think that will work for a few reasons.

1. The Witcher mutations are for men only. Women would instantly die. Designing them for women would mean making a special batch JUST for Ciri, and, even then, there's a 70% chance she would die. Why would she want to risk that, just to drink some potions? Alternatively, if they went out of there way to create formula for ALL women, that would be pandering to the highest degree, which is something I really don't want to see in a C.D.P.R. game.

2. C.D.P.R. said that they are going to be moving away from Geralt and co., if they make a future game. Ciri is part of that group.

It's most likely going to be an all-new, pre-defined character, or a custom character. I still have my fingers crossed for a multi-protagonist game, though. :p

Eskel also likes Korvir (because that's where the big money is being made), and all the sorcerors are in Korvir now; that's useful, since magic seems to be needed for the process, at least to some degree. Let's just pray that he won't chose that despicable Triss as a helping mage, since that'd pull him right into the annoying court intruiges that come bundled with that, but whatever.

Why would he not want help from Triss, it would make sense from a point of view that is not very biased against her, and it would allow for some continuity with the existing games. And what is wrong with some intrigue, it would make the story more interesting, and The Witcher 3 has been criticized for being simplified too much compared to the previous games when it comes to politics and intrigue. The only problem I see here is with the different endings of TW3, but with only a cameo role for Geralt at most, this could be handled by the save import.

Since Geralt is off to that Touissant holiday and to retire there with his Yen, since Lambert is off frolicking with his new ladyfriend,

Both Geralt and Lambert have three possible endings in The Witcher 3. You may prefer those particular ones quoted above, but that does not mean the others do not exist. It might be worth noting however that if these endings were to be assumed by a sequel (which is what you seem to want), that would leave an obvious choice for the new protagonist as main love interest. ;) For Eskel in particular, this possibility is even hinted at in the books, if I recall correctly.

- some random derp who turns into THE SAVIOUR and ARCHMAGE and MASTER THIEF and CHAMPION OF THE ARENA like in the Elderscrolls games is frigging annoying (that's the "custom character" option, right?)

Just because the protagonist is player created, it does not necessarily imply that the game would be like Elder Scrolls. It would make it harder to create a "personal" story with characters the protagonist is closely related to, but it could still be very well written otherwise. I can live without family drama if it allows for making a better RPG. And then there is also the option of a pre-defined character with some customization allowed by the player.

Mate, if I enjoyed cyber genre, I would own Deus Ex. I do respect CDPR for the quality wise, sadly I wont be supporting their next game.

It will still be made by the same writers, quest designers, and other people from the team that made the Witcher series. Thus, I expect the game to have similar values, even if it will be in a different environment. And it cannot be much worse than a Ciri sequel. :p

It will still be made by the same writers, quest designers, and other people from the team that made the Witcher series. Thus, I expect the game to have similar values, even if it will be in a different environment. And it cannot be much worse than a Ciri sequel.

I shall see :)

I personally just don't want Ciri as protag because I hate her since the moment I read the books and W3 didn't change it a bit. I could write down some in-game reasons for exclusion, but it would have subjective basis anyway.

I personally just don't want Ciri as protag because I hate her since the moment I read the books and W3 didn't change it a bit. I could write down some in-game reasons for exclusion, but it would have subjective basis anyway.

I don't think you have much to worry about. The cards are stacked against her.

According to a recent interview, there are currently no plans to make another Witcher game, the saga is over (see this post). Although it was also said that they are not allowed to talk about the studio's plans, so this may or may not be reliable information.

Young Nimue as dwimveandra, please. She could meet Ciri's abandoned son, who was adopted by Haaks and conquered half of the world as the Prophecy predicted.

Wait...is that conjecture, or did I totally miss that? I thought Ciri's son would become the conqueror of the entire world via Nilfgaard.

---------- Updated at 06:36 PM ----------

According to a recent interview, there are currently no plans to make another Witcher game, the saga is over (see this post). Although it was also said that they are not allowed to talk about the studio's plans, so this may or may not be reliable information.

It says, and I quote:

"As for the next Witcher game, we decided the saga is over. Geralt's story is over and we're not taking that back. We're not planning another Witcher game.".

A saga is a continuing story-line. The first three Mass Effect games are a saga. M.E.:A. is not part of that.

I'll take a look at the source, and may add it up to the TW4 news thread.

To be fair, they were also denying they are working on The Witcher 2 and 3, even though, as they revealed later, those were already at the stage of preproduction. They also said a few months back that they have no plans for standalone Gwent game, despite the fact they were already making a commercial for it back in January. I think they phrase it this bluntly, because if they were using vague statements like "We can't talk about it" or "Who knows", people would see that as a confirmation and right now they prefer to keep that project a secret, as they did in the past.

the witcher games are over!? i hoped for a new witcher game after cyberpunk :geraltsad:
For now yes. I suspect there are those in CDPR who would like to create their own IP, and that will be the other AAA RPG scheduled for 2021.

---------- Updated at 11:26 PM ----------

To be fair, they were also denying they are working on The Witcher 2 and 3, even though, as they revealed later, those were already at the stage of preproduction. They also said a few months back that they have no plans for standalone Gwent game, despite the fact they were already making a commercial for it back in January. I think they phrase it this bluntly, because if they were using vague statements like "We can't talk about it" or "Who knows", people would see that as a confirmation and right now they prefer to keep that project a secret, as they did in the past.
Also this. Although I do think they aren't currently planning to do so, I'd be shocked if they never went back to the setting. But if they do it might be as a clean break with the Geralt Saga, and all the major characters in it. No Ciri, Eskel, Letho, etc. No Northern Kingdoms. Somewhere else either before or after the Saga.

Yes, that is why I mentioned that they say a few sentences before the "no plans to make another Witcher game" that they are not allowed to reveal the studio's plans to the public because of the stock market. So, it is stated in the interview itself that the information might be unreliable. Although it is also known that at this time they are not hiring anyone for Witcher related projects, almost all jobs here are about Cyberpunk 2077 or GWENT.

Also this. Although I do think they aren't currently planning to do so, I'd be shocked if they never went back to the setting. But if they do it might be as a clean break with the Geralt Saga, and all the major characters in it. No Ciri, Eskel, Letho, etc. No Northern Kingdoms. Somewhere else either before or after the Saga.

It would not be that surprising if no more Witcher games were made, it probably depends on the success of Cyberpunk 2077 and any other new IP. Without the already known characters, it might just as well be in a different universe not constrained by the Witcher books. Although it may make sense to stick with the Witcher for brand name/marketing reasons, but making a sequel or "reboot" to an already completed saga after a long time (and not unlikely by different people) can also be risky and it might not be received well by fans of the previous games.

Wait...is that conjecture, or did I totally miss that? I thought Ciri's son would become the conqueror of the entire world via Nilfgaard.
The prophecy has it that her son would be ruler of the half of the world, and the son of her son would be ruler of the entire world. But it doesn't specify which country will be used - the Lodge planned to marry Ciri with Tankred Thyssen (to create "empire of the North" and save the world), Emhyr planned to marry her with himself (to strenghten his empire and save the world). It may be an entirely different country, however.

Top Bottom