Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for "The Witcher 4"?

+

Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for The Witcher 4?

• Total voters
Yes, that is why I mentioned that they say a few sentences before the "no plans to make another Witcher game" that they are not allowed to reveal the studio's plans to the public because of the stock market. So, it is stated in the interview itself that the information might be unreliable. Although it is also known that at this time they are not hiring anyone for Witcher related projects, almost all jobs here are about Cyberpunk 2077 or GWENT.

It would not be that surprising if no more Witcher games were made, it probably depends on the success of Cyberpunk 2077 and any other new IP. Without the already known characters, it might just as well be in a different universe not constrained by the Witcher books. Although it may make sense to stick with the Witcher for brand name/marketing reasons, but making a sequel or "reboot" to an already completed saga after a long time (and not unlikely by different people) can also be risky and it might not be received well by fans of the previous games.
A couple reasons why I think they would:
1. Brand name. It's already a well-established brand, and with W3, is well-known and highly regarded in the mainstream.
2. It saves them the need of creating an entirely new setting or making a new deal for an established one from scratch if they ever get the itch to go back to fantasy
3. I'm not exactly clear on the specifics of their deal with Sapowski but from what I understand they own the video game rights for Witcher, so they don't have to keep paying a licensing fee which was what made Bioware abandon Baldur's Gate to make Dragon Age

And I've seen a lot of people on the forum and elsewhere (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) be quite open that they'd welcome another game set in the Witcherverse, Geralt or no Geralt. Besides time makes the heart grow fonder, and we're not getting another Witcher game anytime soon. Those who feel opposed to it now might feel differently 5-10 years from now, where we've gone without another Witcher game for quite a while.

2. It saves them the need of creating an entirely new setting or making a new deal for an established one from scratch if they ever get the itch to go back to fantasy

It depends on what that other AAA game they plan in the next few years is like, if it is a new IP in a fantasy environment - which it may or may not be, but if it is indeed new, then it would make sense to try something that is different from CP2077 and is a possible alternative to Witcher - and it is successful, then a sequel to that could be the better option. Of course, it is also possible that it is in fact a new Witcher game that is already in the plans, but is not revealed to the public yet.

And I've seen a lot of people on the forum and elsewhere (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) be quite open that they'd welcome another game set in the Witcherverse, Geralt or no Geralt. Besides time makes the heart grow fonder, and we're not getting another Witcher game anytime soon. Those who feel opposed to it now might feel differently 5-10 years from now, where we've gone without another Witcher game for quite a while.

On the other hand, in 5-10 years many of those people could lose interest and move on to other games, especially if it is closer to 10 years, as 5 years is more or less normal for a sequel. But 10 would be like skipping a generation, and it would also be harder to meet the expectations of those who do still want the game, it could turn into a "Half-Life 3" situation (except this is a series with an actually finished story). I would personally prefer a new IP now, and I doubt this would change in a few years; that is, unless it is released and turns out to be bad.

It depends on what that other AAA game they plan in the next few years is like, if it is a new IP in a fantasy environment - which it may or may not be, but if it is indeed new, then it would make sense to try something that is different from CP2077 and is a possible alternative to Witcher - and it is successful, then a sequel to that could be the better option. Of course, it is also possible that it is in fact a new Witcher game that is already in the plans, but is not revealed to the public yet.

On the other hand, in 5-10 years many of those people could lose interest and move on to other games, especially if it is closer to 10 years, as 5 years is more or less normal for a sequel. But 10 would be like skipping a generation, and it would also be harder to meet the expectations of those who do still want the game, it could turn into a "Half-Life 3" situation (except this is a series with an actually finished story). I would personally prefer a new IP now, and I doubt this would change in a few years; that is, unless it is released and turns out to be bad.
I doubt the new IP is fantasy given that they've talked about how tired they are of it.

And mate there are people who were disappointed with W2, there are people disappointed with W3. If you've seen the wishes of the people over on the Cyberpunk forums, PLENTY of them are going to be disappointed with Cyberpunk 2077. "People might not like this" is going to happen regardless of what they do, so that's a non-issue since it will happen regardless.

Also I'm utterly baffled at bolded. Do you know how many people are clamoring for RDR3? How many were excited for GTAV? How many were excited for EA's Battlefront (although they should've known better)? How many are clamoring for KOTOR3? The minute a Witcher 4 gets announced you can bet there would be a ton of excitement.

Stick with "I don't want there to be another one" rather than trying to hide behind some ill-conceived wish to avoid criticism since that's impossible, or some bizarre notion that if CDPR announced a Witcher 4 there wouldn't be a rush of people preordering given how W3 sold.

Last edited:
I doubt the new IP is fantasy given that they've talked about how tired they are of it.

Are they tired of fantasy settings in general, or only the Witcher universe (which they worked on for more than a decade) specifically ? I recall the latter from interviews, probably because that is what they are asked about usually, but I could have missed something.

And mate there are people who were disappointed with W2, there are people disappointed with W3. If you've seen the wishes of the people over on the Cyberpunk forums, PLENTY of them are going to be disappointed with Cyberpunk 2077. "People might not like this" is going to happen regardless of what they do, so that's a non-issue since it will happen regardless.

Stick with "I don't want there to be another one" rather than trying to hide behind some ill-conceived wish to avoid criticism since that's impossible.

That was not really my point, but anyway, making a sequel after a long time to a saga that did not need one is something that is more likely than usual to receive criticism (the same people who want more of their old favorite after a decade because of nostalgia are often the ones who end up saying "but the original was better" for the same reason). And I am not hiding behind anything, it is clearly stated in the post you quoted that I would prefer a new IP. Or, as voted and mentioned before, a Witcher game (if one has to be made) with new characters and a story not related to the existing trilogy - however, at that point, it might just as well be a new IP.

That was not really my point, but anyway, making a sequel after a long time to a saga that did not need one is something that is more likely than usual to receive criticism (the same people who want more of their old favorite after a decade because of nostalgia are often the ones who end up saying "but the original was better" for the same reason). IP.
That didn't stop SW7 from being most profitable part of the franchise.

That didn't stop SW7 from being most profitable part of the franchise.

Yes, TW4 would probably sell regardless, a known brand and/or developer name and good marketing more or less ensure that. Fallout 4 was profitable, too, it also outsold The Witcher 3 if I recall correctly, despite not being received well by fans and reviewers. It is quite possible for a sequel that is made only for money grabbing to be criticized a lot, but still sell very well anyway.

So, I admit that if profitability at low risk was the main goal - and that is most likely what the shareholders want, too - then it would make sense to release The Witcher 4, then 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., all with Geralt, until it becomes bad enough (and judging from some other franchises, it might have to be pretty bad) that it no longer sells. And only then move on to something else. I would find it rather disappointing if CDPR turned to that approach, though, contrary to all their previous claims, and I would most probably not buy any of those sequels. They have said it repeatedly that the saga is over, and that is fine in my opinion, the story has been wrapped up already, and it would be the best time to start something new.

Last edited:
Since TW3 is my first exposure to the series as a Sony gamer, I'm sad that it's meant to be Geralt's final adventure. Love the character, and would love to play more games with him as the protagonist, and with his friends by his side.

However, I would also love to play a game as Ciri too. I think that she's an extremely interesting character, with a unique look and her voice actress does a terrific job. I'm not a big fan of how her character control was designed in TW3, but if they could improve that, especially for battles, and have her take on a role as her own unique powerful being who does the role of a Witcher, then I'm all in.

NEW IDEAS: Storyline for Witcher 4

Reviewing the forums I suspect I am in the minority, but I really DON'T see the Witcher 4 without Geralt. The biggest argument is the "saga is over" and "Geralt had so many books and 3 games", well the reason he had books written and games made about him because he is THE witcher. I can not for the life of me see Eskel or Lambert, the "looser" witchers, who barely make a living killing drawners, as a main character of the new witcher game. Finishing the saga with Geralt retiring in Toussaint isn't good enough either, he has so much more in him. Long story short I wanted to start a new discussion where we could all brain storm some new storylines featuring Geralt.

Mine is as follows:

Emhyr var Emreis dies suddenly, possibly poisoned by unknown substance of elven origins. It must have something to do with his daughter's sudden appearance at court. But little Ciri has changed, there is darkness within her. In the past trying to figure out her true nature and true powers, pretending to fit in with the others seems to have failed. The true calling of Elder Blood, Falka's blood is taking over her existance. Nilfgaardian Empire is hers by right, but the new Queen wants nothing else but to see the world burn! All those who has crossed her in the past will burn with it, starting with Nilfgaardian sorceresses burned at stakes. Geralt has no choice but leave his retirement, to hurry to his daughter's rescue. On arrival to Nilfgaard, Geralt and his companion of choice (being Triss/Yen) are taken to custody, Queen refuses to see them. When Geralt leaves his cell, he is taken to the place of public execution, thousands of people are there, the Queen is residing in her throne, Geralt's beloved (again determined by your Withcher 3 choices) is tied to a stake. Without hesistation the Queen gives the order and "mother dear" or her "loving sister" is burned to ashes in front of Geralt, helpless and in agony. Having lost the one love of his life, Geralt has to make a choice, and being who he is, he believes he can help Ciri. Now we are witnessing Geralt becoming a dark hero, he does not abandon his Ciri, but his heart had been broken and the world just does not look the same. Here we go on the ussual quest adventure while the world as we know it is being destroyed by the mad Queen ( I leave it to CD Projekt RED), untill we meet our former sweetheart (again depending on which one got burned), which is running little undercover opertaion to save the world, maybe after all not all hope is abandoned...

While I cannot imagine a witcher game without Geralt, I cannot imagine a Witcher with Geralt that sounds like this either.

The predicament of a Sequel to the third game is the main story. It is simply too messy. It simply cannot work. You either have Ciri being a witcher, being an empress or being presumably dead. Couple that with either Nilfgaard taking over the north with Temeria/Redania as an independent state or Radovid destroying his own kingdom. And - like you already mentioned - you have the romances of Geralt too.

The reason it worked in the previous two games was because after every ending there was some kind of total reset to the story. You sided with the Scoia'tael in the first game? Well too bad, they'll just get killed again and lose all the progress they made. Oh, you freed Vergen? Well Nilfgaard just fucked it up. The third game tried to tie all loose ends up and leave no opening (which it failed to do so). They'd have to rework the TW3 plot before they could do anything else. Only other option would be to move the story to Nilfgaard, Kovir, Ofieri or somewhere else. Far away from the previous plots. But this would lead to having a Witcher game with Geralt for the sake of having a Witcher game with Geralt.

Agreed.

Nilfgaardian Empire is hers by right, but the new Queen wants nothing else but to see the world burn! All those who has crossed her in the past will burn with it, starting with Nilfgaardian sorceresses burned at stakes. Geralt has no choice but leave his retirement, to hurry to his daughter's rescue. On arrival to Nilfgaard, Geralt and his companion of choice (being Triss/Yen) are taken to custody, Queen refuses to see them. When Geralt leaves his cell, he is taken to the place of public execution, thousands of people are there, the Queen is residing in her throne, Geralt's beloved (again determined by your Withcher 3 choices) is tied to a stake

Burn them all!! No, I think we have already enough of mad queens and kings.

Emhyr var Emreis dies suddenly, possibly poisoned by unknown substance of elven origins. It must have something to do with his daughter's sudden appearance at court. But little Ciri has changed, there is darkness within her. In the past trying to figure out her true nature and true powers, pretending to fit in with the others seems to have failed. The true calling of Elder Blood, Falka's blood is taking over her existance. Nilfgaardian Empire is hers by right, but the new Queen wants nothing else but to see the world burn! All those who has crossed her in the past will burn with it, starting with Nilfgaardian sorceresses burned at stakes. Geralt has no choice but leave his retirement, to hurry to his daughter's rescue. On arrival to Nilfgaard, Geralt and his companion of choice (being Triss/Yen) are taken to custody, Queen refuses to see them. When Geralt leaves his cell, he is taken to the place of public execution, thousands of people are there, the Queen is residing in her throne, Geralt's beloved (again determined by your Withcher 3 choices) is tied to a stake. Without hesistation the Queen gives the order and "mother dear" or her "loving sister" is burned to ashes in front of Geralt, helpless and in agony. Having lost the one love of his life, Geralt has to make a choice, and being who he is, he believes he can help Ciri. Now we are witnessing Geralt becoming a dark hero, he does not abandon his Ciri, but his heart had been broken and the world just does not look the same. Here we go on the ussual quest adventure while the world as we know it is being destroyed by the mad Queen ( I leave it to CD Projekt RED), untill we meet our former sweetheart (again depending on which one got burned), which is running little undercover opertaion to save the world, maybe after all not all hope is abandoned...

Wow.

i have this very humble and simple idea for a game:

if Nilfgaard or Redania are in power: their expansion is waking up new and dengerous monsters in unknown territories, they need a witcher: Geralt, he can be retired a few years and then come back to activity, he is a wicher he has unlimited energy, Triss/Yen can help him to find information, they can come along, etc
if Ciri is empress, she will be worried about Geralt being at the frontline, if she is a witcher, she will kill some monsters too, maybe a few misions together, or rescuing her from monsters,
if Radovid is dead, a new dangerous man wants to take control of the kingdom
corruption and separatists rise in Nilfgaard, inner fights,
the surviving non humans, alchemists, mages, sorcerers, join the Scoia'tael, they grow in numbers and are a real threat, Geralt can help them, side with the civilized humans or stay neutral
if Geralt is single, (no Yen or Triss) hen can start a relationship with them or Shani
Geralt must find other witchers to face the monsters,
the corruption, the evil of mankind and hatred are waking up new and powerful monsters,, maybe a high vampire and some sorcerers are behind all this, ain't sure about the villain yet
a very basic idea :)

Top Bottom