Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for "The Witcher 4"?

+

Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for The Witcher 4?

• Total voters
The Witcher game should be about witcher right? This means no Ciri. Phew.
What I would like to see is a mix of pre defined character (having a backstory is really neat and great, yup) and custom elements (character creation and more).
If REDs could do a few separate backstories (DA:O fan right there) and let us choose from which school our witcher comes from... that would be awesome. Oh, and special abilities and stuff, hmm...
Bears can use all sorts of silver axes (and throwing ones too), Griffins coud use spears (silver, oui) and maybe new signs, bows and mad mode for Cats and dual wielding of poisonous blades for Vipers.

All three Witcher games were about Sarcastic good 50 shades of neutrality character.
Let us have more evil choices next time (and occasionally good ones too).

My opinions on each and every option:

1. Geralt.

Would I like to see him in a future title? No.
What's the chance that we'll see him as the protagonist? 0%.

2. Pre-Existing Characters.

A. Ciri.
Would I like to see her in a future title? No. She's not a Witcher, she's way O.P., it would make TW3 meaningless, and it would be shoe-horning/pandering/fan-service of the highest tier.
What's the chance that we'll see him as the protagonist? Relatively high. She's well-liked.

B. Young Vesemir.
Would I like to see him in a future title? Yes. There's a lot to tell, and he's a very interesting character. On the plus side, we'd see the Witchers at their peak, an explanation to many things, a strong lead, and prequels don't require TW3's ridiculous number of choices to be taken into account.. On the other hand, we know how his story ends.
What's the chance that we'll see him as the protagonist? Medium.

C. Eskel.
Would I like to see him in a future title? Yes. On the plus side, he's an interesting character, he's Geralt equal in combat, and he's not a "big plot" guy (He's a simple Witcher.). On the other hand, the plot probably wouldn't be very strong.
What's the chance that we'll see him as the protagonist? Relatively low.

D. Lambert.
Would I like to see him in a future title? Yes. On the plus side, he's an interesting character, and he could have a very cool relationship with Keira (They being a team, and all.). On the other hand, he has three different endings, in the game, and they're all pretty different.
What's the chance that we'll see him as the protagonist? Fairly low (Slightly lower than Eskel.).

E. Another Witcher.
Would I like to see one of them in a future title? No. They're all pretty boring, Letho included. Although, he's probably the best of the bunch.
What's the chance that we'll see one of them as the protagonist? Low.

F. A non-Witcher character.
Would I like to see one of them in a future title? Absolutely not. Witchers are what make this game universe special. If I wanted to play as a sorcerer, knight, etc., I'd play any other fantasy game ever made.
What's the chance that we'll see one of them as the protagonist? Fairly low.

3. A new, pre-defined character.

A. A Witcher.
Would I like to see him in a future title? Absolutely. C.D.P.R. knows how to craft characters. I'm sure he'll be awesome.
What's the chance we'll see him as the protagonist? Very high.

B. A non-Witcher.
Would I like to see one of them in a future title? Absolutely not. Witchers are what make this game universe special. If I wanted to play as a sorcerer, knight, etc., I'd play any other fantasy game ever made.
What's the chance that we'll see one of them as the protagonist? Somewhat low.

4. A custom character.

A. A strickly Witcher custom character.
Would I like to see him in a future title? Not even a little, but he's better than the next two options. A big reason is because there's doubtlessly going to be an out-cry for female Witchers, for the sake of pandering, even though that contradicts the lore in many, many ways. But, the main reason is because custom characters generally make games garbage. But, knowing C.D.P.R., I have a feeling that they could make it work.
What's the chance we'll see him as the protagonist? Relatively high.

B. A strickly non-Witcher custom character.
Would I like to see one of them in a future title? Absolute not. Please, please no! :O
What's the chance that we'll see one of them as the protagonist? Incredibly low.

C A Witcher or non-Witcher (The choice is yours.) custom character.
Would I like to see one of them in a future title? Oh, Lord, no.
What's the chance that we'll see one of them as the protagonist? Somewhat low.

5. Multiple characters.
Would I like to see this implemented in a future title? 100% yes. This is probably tied with a new, pre-defined Witcher and young Vesemir for my #1 pick. This genre is totally undiscovered (Except for G.T.A. V.), and it provides so many incredible story-telling opportunities. A game like this would be truly legendary.
What's the chance that we'll see this implemented in a future title? Quite low.

Last edited:
It's amazing that after 30 years, people still want to see more Geralt.
Geralt is one of the best characters created in any form of media in my opinion. He is what drew me and many other fans to the Witcher universe. There's no doubt that Geralt is irreplaceable. So a Witcher 4 without Geralt is doomed, because everyone compares the new character to Geralt. I agree CDPR's adaptation of Geralt is different, but he is still one of the best and most well liked characters in gaming. I bet you a lot of the players will try to recreate Geralt if the Witcher 4 is create your own character.

Hell, they even have mods and guides on how to make Geralt in other games lol.

Skyrim

Fallout

Even other developers have come up with character that are really look like Geralt.

Nioh

Furi

Last edited:
Geralt is one of the best characters created in any form of media in my opinion. He is what drew me and many other fans to the Witcher universe. There's no doubt that Geralt is irreplaceable. So a Witcher 4 without Geralt is doomed, because everyone compares the new character to Geralt. I agree CDPR's adaptation of Geralt is different, but he is still one of the best and most well liked characters in gaming. I bet you a lot of the players will try to recreate Geralt if the Witcher 4 is create your own character.

Hell, they even have mods and guides on how to make Geralt in other games lol.

Skyrim

Fallout

Even other developers have come up with character that are really look like Geralt.

Nioh

Furi

It's actually the attitude of "No other character could ever live up to Geralt. Ever." that might doom a future title. If you really believe that Geralt can't be topped, then I advise you to check out some other story-driven games. He's a great character, but better ones have been created. And, you have to keep in mind that the Geralt of the games is actually a C.D.P.R. original, for the most part. They created him. If they did it once, years ago, with inexperienced and inferior writers, they can do it again, with their current and far superior writers.

If you really believe in C.D.P.R. as a developer, show some faith. At least give them a chance, rather than declare any future titles doomed before they are even announced.

Last edited:
It's actually the attitude of "No other character could ever live up to Geralt. Ever." that would doom a future title. If you really believe that Geralt can't be topped, then I advise you to check out some other story-driven games.
Geralt is my favorite video game character and I've played many games, RPG and otherwise. The other characters that come close to Geralt are not even RPG characters. John Marston from Red dead Redemption, Joel from the Last of Us, and Lara from Tomb Raider reboot are some that come close. But this is an objective and opinion based matter, so no point in arguing. We cannot argue over Geralt's popularity among gamers and book lovers though, cause he is up there.
They created him. If they did it once, years ago, with inexperienced and inferior writers, they can do it again, with their current and far superior writers.
I really think Witcher 1 and 2 had superior stories compared to that of Witcher 3. So I think things have gone downhill with time.
If you really believe in C.D.P.R. as a developer, show some faith. At least give them a chance, rather than declare any future titles doomed future they are even announced.
I didn't say any titles from CDPR without Geralt would fail. I said a Witcher game without Geralt is doomed. Why should there be a Witcher game without Geralt and the rest of the crew ? There's no point. Leave the Witcher as it ended in Witcher 3. We don't need any sequels to Witcher.

They can make games set in the Witcher universe that has nothing to do with Witchers and it should not even be called the Witcher. For example a game where the protagonist is a scoia'tael leader such as Iorveth or a game that takes place in Zerrikania.

Agree, agree, agree. As I mentioned before, even though Great was "visualised" by the Project, the majority of fans like him and other characters because of the books. For me playing Witcher game without him would be like the end of the main mission in TW3. Running around the so familiar world and not seeing the beloved characters is brutal. But again, yes they have made their decision and there is no point reminiscing. But I agree, that it should probably be a completely different game then. Maybe one day they will reconsider ;)

---------- Updated at 01:24 PM ----------

BUT for the sake of not killing the money-making franchise, Vesemir would be an optimal solution, who should satisfy both new and old fans.

If it's not going to be Geralt then it has to be a custom character. I'd rather make my own unique experience than play someone predefined who can't live up to Geralt.

Emhyr var Emreis dies suddenly, possibly poisoned by unknown substance of elven origins. It must have something to do with his daughter's sudden appearance at court. But little Ciri has changed, there is darkness within her. In the past trying to figure out her true nature and true powers, pretending to fit in with the others seems to have failed. The true calling of Elder Blood, Falka's blood is taking over her existance. Nilfgaardian Empire is hers by right, but the new Queen wants nothing else but to see the world burn! All those who has crossed her in the past will burn with it, starting with Nilfgaardian sorceresses burned at stakes. Geralt has no choice but leave his retirement, to hurry to his daughter's rescue. On arrival to Nilfgaard, Geralt and his companion of choice (being Triss/Yen) are taken to custody, Queen refuses to see them. When Geralt leaves his cell, he is taken to the place of public execution, thousands of people are there, the Queen is residing in her throne, Geralt's beloved (again determined by your Withcher 3 choices) is tied to a stake. Without hesistation the Queen gives the order and "mother dear" or her "loving sister" is burned to ashes in front of Geralt, helpless and in agony. Having lost the one love of his life, Geralt has to make a choice, and being who he is, he believes he can help Ciri. Now we are witnessing Geralt becoming a dark hero, he does not abandon his Ciri, but his heart had been broken and the world just does not look the same. Here we go on the ussual quest adventure while the world as we know it is being destroyed by the mad Queen ( I leave it to CD Projekt RED), untill we meet our former sweetheart (again depending on which one got burned), which is running little undercover opertaion to save the world, maybe after all not all hope is abandoned...

Why do you try such epic scenario? Try it easier, like in TW1.

The third game tried to tie all loose ends up and leave no opening (which it failed to do so).

The devs have ignored previous decisions earlier.

But this would lead to having a Witcher game with Geralt for the sake of having a Witcher game with Geralt.

And what's wrong with that? We do not need anyone else.

Geralt is my favorite video game character and I've played many games, RPG and otherwise. The other characters that come close to Geralt are not even RPG characters. John Marston from Red dead Redemption, Joel from the Last of Us, and Lara from Tomb Raider reboot are some that come close. But this is an objective and opinion based matter, so no point in arguing. We cannot argue over Geralt's popularity among gamers and book lovers though, cause he is up there.

I really think Witcher 1 and 2 had superior stories compared to that of Witcher 3. So I think things have gone downhill with time.

I didn't say any titles from CDPR without Geralt would fail. I said a Witcher game without Geralt is doomed. Why should there be a Witcher game without Geralt and the rest of the crew ? There's no point. Leave the Witcher as it ended in Witcher 3. We don't need any sequels to Witcher.

They can make games set in the Witcher universe that has nothing to do with Witchers and it should not even be called the Witcher. For example a game where the protagonist is a scoia'tael leader such as Iorveth or a game that takes place in Zerrikania.

I understand that you said any future Witcher titles were doomed, not titles in general. I misspoke. But, my argument stands...deciding that a game that hasn't even been conceptualized yet is doomed is quite unfair.

Yes, you could make a game about a non-Witcher character, but the majority of fans play the Witcher series for Witchers. They are what make the world of the Witcher special. Everything else can be found in pretty much any other fantasy game.

Agree, agree, agree. As I mentioned before, even though Great was "visualised" by the Project, the majority of fans like him and other characters because of the books. For me playing Witcher game without him would be like the end of the main mission in TW3. Running around the so familiar world and not seeing the beloved characters is brutal. But again, yes they have made their decision and there is no point reminiscing. But I agree, that it should probably be a completely different game then. Maybe one day they will reconsider ;)

---------- Updated at 01:24 PM ----------

BUT for the sake of not killing the money-making franchise, Vesemir would be an optimal solution, who should satisfy both new and old fans.

I would actually argue that the majority of the fans have read the books, and even less read the books before the games. The vast majority of fans love him because of TW1, TW2, and TW3, but especially TW3.

What if they did create characters that were superior to the current cast, though? Try this...look at every character and quest-line in the game. Split them into two categories: C.D.P.R. originals, and book characters. Which is the superior category? In my opinion, it's characters and quest-lines like Master Mirror, the Bloody Baron, the Crones of Crookback Bog. It actually seems like its the books and the book characters that are holding C.D.P.R. back. I think that if they created their own characters, they would be far, far better. The only reason they might not, is because of people saying "There's no way they'll ever be better than Geralt.", before they even see these new characters. People need to go into it with open hearts and minds, if any future titles are to work out well for fans.

A game surrounding Lambert would be fun.

Heck yeah. Him and Ms. Metz teamed up? That's the stuff, right there.

Eskel, Lambert or even a prequel with young Vesemir.

Definitely. I'd love to see those guys.

I would actually argue that the majority of the fans have read the books, and even less read the books before the games. The vast majority of fans love him because of TW1, TW2, and TW3, but especially TW3.
QUOTE]
First book was released in 1992, first game in 2007. Strictly mathematically speaking books have 15 year advantage over the game series, and even more people read the books after playing the series. So I will argue that right back at ya.

Last edited:
Now now let's not limit the scope of the argument. Regarding zero following in the US it is rather sad, and I did not say the majority fans in the US, I said THE majority. It doesn't matter if they know him before or after, the argument is that books deepen the connection to the characters.

And I don't really see what is it you are disagreeing with. I was saying that the Witcher world and characters created based on the books is amazing. Books unravel the characters and the Project made it real and allowed everybody to enjoy it, even if you never heard of Geralt before in your life. As for the new characters, yes, Master Mirror and Olgierd and Baron were great, but were they great because they fit so well into the Sapkowski's, world that haven't been created by the Project on the first place, or are they just great period? I don't know, neither do you. Let's wait and see what the new game is going to be like. Arguing that it is going to be good or bad is pointless, as neither argument can be supported.

Last edited:
The next entry should be a spin off where you either play as Regis or a Mage/Sorceress. The world still exists with all the monsters and political intrigue.

Considering they are keeping The Witcher franchise the character has to be a Witcher tho. If they are going rogue then yeah why not!

In my Opinion...it is too early to discuss this!

TW3 just finished, and now all eyes are on Cyberpunk!
And we have basically no information about a next witcher title!

It could take 3-4 years or 5-8 till the next Witcher game could be released! And till then....there could be a lot of changes at CDPR, or also in the gaming Community!

So in 3-6 years we will all be here again maybe, discussing who should be the Protagonist in The Witcher 4!

Top Bottom