Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for "The Witcher 4"?

+

Poll: Who Would You Like to See as the Protagonist for The Witcher 4?

• Total voters
eezek877;n9215491 said:
I am very wait for geralt in the witch 4 !!

It has been said by CDPR several times over the last few years that they are done with Geralt's story, so I would not bet too much on that. Of course, it can still happen, but at this time I would rather see what they can do with new characters, even if that might be a riskier approach from the business point of view. And until that, there is still Cyberpunk to be released, and possibly another new non-Witcher game.

Letho, would absolutely be my top choice for the Witcher 4.

Reasons:

---He could have a long term goal that's okay to interrupt, like re-establishing a Witcher School, with side-quest adventures. It is very weird in games like Fallout 4 and TW3, your supposed to be requesting your "child", but in both games the main character get distracted in a way someone desperate to reunite with their child would not be.

---Geralt was generally played as a good guy, he had a moral compass. We have no idea what Letho might decide to do. He is pragmatic but vicious and unpredictable. You could act in a ruthless way or in a benign way, and either would be in his character.

---He has absolutely no problem killing people. Which Geralt is supposed to have a problem with. Geralt in Skellege, kills 3 people for a reward on returning a Horn, a family heirloom. Not really in character with Geralt. But just a nice bonus to Letho.

---He might know more than 5 signs.

---He duel wields knives in some situations. So we wouldn't be limited to just two handed weapons and crossbows.

---Letho has experience in stealth, sabotage, and assassination, completely new territory to play as a Witcher.

---What kind of woman could be interested in someone apparently as stupid, ugly and boorish Letho? How could they discover how intelligent, loyal, and bad-ass Letho is? What kind of woman would Letho be compatible with? Has he ever even thought about a woman he didn't pay upfront?

---Assuming The Empire wins the battle with the Nordlings, what must Letho do to get the price off his head?

---Watching Letho intimidate people would be awesome. The people Geralt intimidates would sh*t their pants having Letho stare down at them.

Can't imagine who would be better. The other Witchers aren't in the same class as Letho. They aren't even as compelling as Geralt. But the famed King Slayer, thats another story.

All of this is assuming though that there will be a Witcher 4. I don't know anything one way or the other.

If CP2077 is really going for the custom-made character I don't see why this approach shouldn't get applied to the next installment in the Witcher saga too.

Geralt as main protagonist.
If a prequel - Vesemir, that would be cool too. At the end of the game, Vesemir could meet with Geralt as a boy.

With more experience from Cyberpunk 2077, and more resources, a player created character might become feasible. Of course, it is difficult to implement well compared to a pre-defined protagonist, but the same argument also applied to the switch to an open world, yet it happened eventually once the technology and budget were there.

My guess is that they're either going to revive the Witcher school and we have a new Witcher from the future.
Or we go into the past and get young Vesemir or something along those lines.

I'd kind of like to see a continuation of the story with a new character, myself.

I'm not sure that I want to see another Witcher game. It's all wrapped up so beautifully after Blood and Wine, especially when you've read the books.
The Witcher universe really was tailor made for Geralt in a lot of ways so a different protagonist might not work that well.

I wouldn't be opposed to Geralt getting another run out but i think he's been left in a pretty good place by the trilogy & it would need a good story to make it seem worthwhile.

As much as i love Bioware's custom character's i think a custom witcher would be on a hiding to nothing being compared to Geralt.

If there is to be another game i'd like to see Ciri as the protagonist. Of the pre-existing characters she's the one i think would feel really natural to replace Geralt while offering something fresh too.

As long as it's not Ciri. I know I'm in the minority here, and I do like Ciri, but I'd like a Witcher in a Witcher game. Ciri can get all the Witcher training in the world but she's not one.

I wouldn't mind seeing more Geralt but I also respect their decision to "retire" him. Some of the known witcher could work too.

However, I really like the idea of a brand new character. A game taking place long before Geralt, when Witchers were in high numbers and Schools were flourishing. Have players create a custom character and then follow him through his training and everything that comes after. They could even let us choose the Shool we want to train in.

So I'm pretty uch open to ideas, I'm just not fond of Witcher Ciri.

P.S.

The story can continue past Witcher 3 too, with a brand new character at that. The Conjuction of Spheres can actually happen again, raising the need for more Witcher schools. Perfect opportunity to create a new character in one of the reformed Schools.

Last edited:
If I was in charge of creating The Witcher 4, I would use my own view on what decisions should have been made in the previous games for the sake of the plot. Half of the fans would hate me, but the other would praise me
1. Geralt will be the main character. Year 1276 he lives a happy life in Kovir with Triss. Why? " - Everything ends. -No, he thought. I do not want it to be so. I’m tired. Too tired to accept the prospect of principals, after which you have to start all over again. I wish..." - From The Time of Contempt. Geralt could not start all over again with Yennefer this last time, so he stayed with Triss. In previous games, he chose Triss as well.
2. Ciri becomes empress, because she would have been too famous to be considered dead by Emgyr and his intelligence.
3. Yennefer should become the mage advisor to Ciri. Philippa too, because keep friends close, but Eilhart closer.
4. The game will be closer to the books, so there will be almost no monsters, but there will be many intrigues and politics.
5. You can have sex with Triss as much as you want, she will not refuse, sometimes she will offer herself to you. But only with Triss, no whoring.
6. The plot will be built on the events of the late 19th century in Russia and the activities of the terrorist organization Narodnaya Volya, which killed the Russian Tsar Alexander ll and many ministers, they will decide to eliminate Ciri and start a new democratic revolution, as it was in the last book. They will blow up generals, ministers, commit an assassination on Сiri during her coronation. Geralt and Triss will be summoned to the Empire to investigate the assassination attempt.
7. The narrative will be conducted on behalf of Vattier de Rideaux, Dandelion will pick up gout, and Zoltan will open a deal with a gnome and an elf who will fall in love with him.

Last edited:
Snake_Foxhounder;n9640091 said:
As long as it's not Ciri. I know I'm in the minority here, and I do like Ciri, but I'd like a Witcher in a Witcher game. Ciri can get all the Witcher training in the world but she's not one.

I wouldn't mind seeing more Geralt but I also respect their decision to "retire" him. Some of the known witcher could work too.

However, I really like the idea of a brand new character. A game taking place long before Geralt, when Witchers were in high numbers and Schools were flourishing.

I agree, Geralt's saga has been concluded well enough already, and I do not really like the idea of Ciri sequel(s) either (not that I dislike the character, just would not want to play as her in a full game), even if the latter does seem to be a possibility. And if one of them was to remain or become the protagonist, his or her respective endings would be difficult to account for in a meaningful way. The idea of a new character and a time frame long before the current games sounds good, not sure how much customization I would want, though. Probably more than with Geralt, but not like in a Bethesda game.

Last edited:
NikolaBathory;n9268571 said:
Geralt as main protagonist.
If a prequel - Vesemir, that would be cool too. At the end of the game, Vesemir could meet with Geralt as a boy.

That's exactly the way I see it.

Whether it will be a Witcher 4 or a whole new witcher saga I'd love to have a custom made character as a protagonist. Sadly I don't know if this will affect the story making and be more difficult to connect the story with the other known characters.

But it sure would be love to see some of the "old" characters like Geralt. An idea of mine would be that he could represent how Vesimir was during the beginning of Wild Hunt. More of a teacher/mentor that took on the mission to take on the new witcher which is you aka the custom made character.

Otherwise a story around Ciri's life after Witcher 3 would make perfect sense?

Either way I can't be more than excited to see what CD Project bring to the table.

snowplough913;n9801691 said:
Whether it will be a Witcher 4 or a whole new witcher saga I'd love to have a custom made character as a protagonist. Sadly I don't know if this will affect the story making and be more difficult to connect the story with the other known characters.
Yeah finding the right balance between customization and fixed protagonist with its own character is a huge design issue. I like it when my character has a voice and a point of view much more than a more blank slate character like Skyrim or DA:I. It just make's the narrative more interesting IMO. I've never played a game that really got the balance right (Mass Effect Trilogy was probably the closest for me with Commander Sheppard but that was far from perfect too).

I know CD Projekt Red will be doing a new Witcher series with a new character, but I hope that there will be cameos from The Witcher 1-3.

Top Bottom