(POLL) Your favorite female character in The Witcher 2!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Willowhugger said:
I confess, Witcher 1 spoiled me.

I would have loved a Mary Louise, Saskia, and Sile romance.
What? A three-way lesbomancy spell? It boggles the mind.

Kindo said:
I placed my vote on Anezka. There was something about her attitude and her love for nature, as well as her general wiccan personality, that made me really like her from the start. Her speech at the end of the medallion quest, on what magic really is, won me over completely and I even developed something of a crush. To be honest, most of the other options would actually freak me out, were I to meet them; Anezka is the one female character I would actually want to know in real life, if I could, so that's why she's my 'favourite.'

"Magic, witcher, is the heart beating fast or the smell of wet, rotting wood. It upsets the underbelly and makes you weep and cry... It's the scythe that misses a field mouse nest, it's people coupling under the new moon until it hurts, it's blood spilled and sweet milk flowing."

She is my favorite as well; and I couldn't have expressed it better. I would add I believe she may be the most powerful spellcaster in the game and I wouldn't mind seeing her in TW3. She had nothing to prove and I admire restrained power and self-confidence.

I was a little disappointed by how weak the whole female cast was in TW2. There was too much sexuality involved and very few to no female characters had their core personality not reflect the sexual aspect.

I get that it fits in the world and that it's a standard left by the author from the books, but it would be nice to see more female characters well developed and the sexual aspect left aside for other characters for whom it's a focus.

So I'd have to say Triss (who you don't see much) or Ves (who you can only appreciated by going Roche's path)

Philippa Eilhart. She is really well written and interesting. She and Sile are leaders of the Lodge, which contributed a lot to all the mess what is currently going on in the North, so I'm interested in her motivations, ideas, past life. Does anyone knows if it is described at all in last books? (I read the first four)

By weak I didn't mean the strength or importance of the characters, I meant the depth and progression of the characters and the amount of care put into their individuality.

After further thought to me the only female character that was really well developed without feeling unidimensional or like a shallow sex doll was Saskia. The sorceresses played their roles, and the whores are meant to be whores, but I'd still have liked to see more female characters have a strong presence in the game without relying on female charms to define who they are and make them stand out.

TheFawz said:
By weak I didn't mean the strength or importance of the characters, I meant the depth and progression of the characters and the amount of care put into their individuality.

After further thought to me the only female character that was really well developed without feeling unidimensional or like a shallow sex doll was Saskia. The sorceresses played their roles, and the whores are meant to be whores, but I'd still have liked to see more female characters have a strong presence in the game without relying on female charms to define who they are and make them stand out.

TW2 has my favorite cast of female characters in any game. Vess was no sex doll, neither were Sile, Margot (despite being a whore) Anezka, and Phillipa. Nor were they weak. Geralt would be nowhere without Triss. She's his mentor in both games. I guess some people want CDPR to conform to popular ideas of what constitutes a strong female character. But with the books as their guide, I think they're doing just fine.

TheFawz said:

I strongly disagree with that.

If anything, Philippa is a deconstruction of the sex doll trope. She uses sex as a weapon in her vast political arsenal. She manipulates Geralt and everyone else into trusting her, in part I suspect because they were too distracted by her cleavage. But she shows no interest whatsoever in Geralt. Sile de Tansarville, despite some light flirting, also displays no interest in Geralt at all and is far from being a sex doll. Same with Ves, who will only have sex with Geralt if he treats her as an equal and respects her abilities as a warrior. And not one of them is one-dimensional, they are some of the best female characters I've seen in video gaming. Even such a minor character as Madame Margot had a big impact on me, as her story as a woman is a very touching one.

TW2 has its flaws in terms of presentation (Ves and Saskia's armor comes to mind). But the writing of its female characters, imo, is excellent.

I'd pick Phillipa, Ves, Anezka, Saskia and Triss if I could. Since I can't, I won't :p I don't know who my favourite of these are, even though I just voted for Ves. Gotta delete that vote ^^ All the women are actual human fucking beings in this game, and not walking tits with zero personality. They all have fantastic voice actresses (yes Triss too, so what if she sounds American!) and they've really stuck with me. I remember as a kid, I had to fight to remember characters. I guess that could be due to me being a little shit though :p

Still, Witcher 2 is an amazing game and their portrayal of characters, be it male or female, is one of the most authentic and well developed of all games ever made. Kudos to Red for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom