Polling System is Broken

+
Polling System is Broken

It is possible for users to sign in with different accounts and vote on the same poll, showing an increase in the number of votes for whatever option that was selected. I am surprised this hasn't already been remedied.

Aver

Forum veteran
There is no way to prevent that. Poll that remember your ip or save info about your votes in cookies can be cheated too.

But I don't know why would anyone do that. To increase size of his ego by seeing that option that he likes is winning? But he would know that it's only because his fake votes, so what does it change?

So? I can as well give myself a '+1' for every post I make.

And does it matter? They only thing I would be achieving is a boost of my own ego, making myself feel good for it. Same goes for the polls. 'Liking' / voting yourself or your selected opinion is like licking your own balls.

Doesn't the dev team spare a gander to the forums now and again. If we are serious about our comments being heard, then we need ensure we're not offering false information.

Aver

Forum veteran
cmdrflashheart said:
Doesn't the dev team spare a gander to the forums now and again. If we are serious about our comments being heard, then we need ensure we're not offering false information.

As I said. There is no way to make sure that nobody will vote more than once.

cmdrflashheart said:

I'm not sure where you are going with this.

People are expressing their opinions, or things they'd like to see in the game. Not sure how "false information" comes into the picture. Unless you mean that people are creating several accounts so that they'll dominate in a selected poll, while yes that could be viewed as "false information", I'd hardly think people are doing it here, and I'm certain CDPR are looking more deeply into what we post than what a poll shows with a handful of votes.

cmdrflashheart said:

And why do you believe that the polls are getting manipulated? Because people's tastes are different than yours? I'd prefer devs working on the next games than spend time on something that can be hacked anyway. It's not a banking system, spending a lot of effort on forum voting is just not worth it.

So polls are basically useless and meaningless, then. I don't think re-voting happens all the time, but I am certain that it does sometimes. And the incidence of re-voting is likely to increase on a popular issue. People like championing their cause, that's our nature.

The only reason I brought this up was because I didn't like the thought of game decisions being made based on misinformation, and as CDPR is the kind of dev team that actually pays attention to player feedback the integrity and reliability of the feedback matters.

But at the end of the day, it's just a forum and just a game *shrug*

Maerd said:
And why do you believe that the polls are getting manipulated? Because people's tastes are different than yours? I'd prefer devs working on the next games than spend time on something that can be hacked anyway. It's not a banking system, spending a lot of effort on forum voting is just not worth it.

No, not at all. I just saw that this was something that was possible, and thought that it was worth mentioning.

cmdrflashheart said:
So polls are basically useless and meaningless, then. I don't think re-voting happens all the time, but I am certain that it does sometimes. And the incidence of re-voting is likely to increase on a popular issue. People like championing their cause, that's our nature.

The only reason I brought this up was because I didn't like the thought of game decisions being made based on misinformation, and as CDPR is the kind of dev team that actually pays attention to player feedback the integrity and reliability of the feedback matters.

But at the end of the day, it's just a forum and just a game *shrug*

Don't worry - I'm pretty sure that CDPR doesn't make decisions based on poll results. They read the forums :)

Chewin3 said:
I'm not sure where you are going with this.

People are expressing their opinions, or things they'd like to see in the game. Not sure how "false information" comes into the picture. Unless you mean that people are creating several accounts so that they'll dominate in a selected poll, while yes that could be viewed as "false information", I'd hardly think people are doing it here, and I'm certain CDPR are looking more deeply into what we post than what a poll shows with a handful of votes.

I do think people create false information in the polls to satisfy their egos or to "win", however slight that occurrence. And I find it hard to believe that a dev team would have the time or resources to go through the amount of posts submitted daily. But that's not for me to say, I am only speculating. Like I said, it only matters in so far as you care about the integrity of the information submitted.

cmdrflashheart said:
So polls are basically useless and meaningless, then.
They are meaningful for the community, but meaningless in general yes. Frankly, judging by the in-thread comments and quarrels, I doubt people even pay attention to the poll.

I don't think re-voting happens all the time, but I am certain that it does sometimes. And the incidence of re-voting is likely to increase on a popular issue. People like championing their cause, that's our nature.
Can't deny that it might happen, but creating multiple accounts, with multiple email addresses (and verification system is pretty messy in this forum - don't know if they've fixed it finally) is devilish. Polls have multivote option. If the OP tick the box for multivote, one can vote more than once. But not for the same entry.

As dragonbird said, I'm pretty sure REDs do not look at the polls. They read the forum.

I understand the point everyone is making here, but if I was someone who had to go through a ton of information over any period of time, I would look for something that made that information easier to swallow. Polls are easier to read and understand than pages upon pages of text.

Top Bottom