Polygon article regarding race in TW3 with a fantastic reply in comments section

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's laughable about this is that the title of this thread could be paraphrased "Polygon sniffs its own farts, and someone with common sense tells him to get an air refreshener" and it wouldn't be innacurate.

luc0s

Forum veteran
That article is full of gems. I did not think Polygon was capable of sinking even lower when it comes to their anti-intellectualism, but they did just that.

Also it is racist as fuck and lumps all "white cultures" into a single pot (yeah, I know, can't be racist against the cracka). Maybe the author could try to make some research the next time he attempts to demonize developers from a country that went through decades of oppression by his fellow far left ideologues for creating something based on their own culture, which has been on the verge of destruction more than few times in the last 4 centuries.

The "predominantly white" slavic devs "whitewashing their own game" is just a cherry on the top:hatsoff:

Checked the dude's twitter and he really does not seem to have it right in the head when it comes to "white people".

These are all American people. Their culture has developed from blending together multiple cultures from all the people who immigrated to the American continent. They just have 1 culture; the American culture. They do not understand that in Europe, it's different. We might have more white people in Europe than in the USA but at the same time we're more culturally diverse than the USA will ever be. But some American people don't understand this. They rarely understand things outside of their own land and culture.

I'm not saying all Americans are like this, but I do notice that the vocal Americans who are journalists and write articles are often like this. They see things so frikkin' black-and-white (no pun intended... okay maybe a little bit intended). They only see "black culture" and "white culture" and "asian culture" and "indian culture" and "mexican culture" not realizing that - at least in Europe - every single country has a culture of its own. Heck, even within a single country you sometimes find multiple cultures! Just look at the UK, the best example of this. Welsh culture is nothing like Scottish culture which is nothing like English culture.

The Witcher 3 is all about Polish culture and mythology and quite frankly - and I mean no offense with this, but black people have no place in this. Black people have never been a part of Polish history or culture. Even today Poland is one of the whitest countries in the world.

The author of the article mentions Zerrikania and Azar Javed being middle-eastern inspired and uses that as an excuse that if The Witcher 3 can have middle-eastern people in it then it should also have black people in it. Again the author shows complete ignorance of Polish/Slavic culture with that statement. The reason why Zerrikania and Azar Javed are a thing is because the Slaves have been fighting the Ottomans for years. The Ottoman invasion and the Slavic countries banding together to push back against the Ottomans is a huge part of Slavic history, which is why it has a place in The Witcher universe. Black people and black culture have never ever been a part of Slavic history which is why it doesn't have a place in The Witcher universe.

Last edited:
So half the thread just got deleted. And it's heading for a lock if there's any repeat.
Some reminders on forum rules:
No personal attacks.
No attacks on countries or cultures.
No racist comments.

So half the thread just got deleted. And it's heading for a lock if there's any repeat.
Some reminders on forum rules:
No personal attacks.
No attacks on countries or cultures.
No racist comments.

It all started so mature with well reasoned arguments without any ad hominems. I wish it continued that way :(

It's just one of these things that makes americans look like retards all over the world, just deal with it and ignore.

Oh-ho! A Ban Magnet thread.

I love these.

Guess what we don't talk about around here, because SOME PEOPLE can't behave? Politics.

Guess what ANOTHER hot button topic is?

MUFFINS. No, wait.

RACISM. Also Sexism, Genderism, Choiceism...so many isms. I made some of those up.

So if you post in here, do it caaaaaarefully.

Or you won't be posting here, or anywhere CDPR forums-ish, for quite a while!

The lengthy discussions in that comment section about historical accuracy are inane to the extreme. That's beside the point. The point is the writers included people from fictional areas that would only feature white people. Case closed. They'll be neck deep in diversity anyway when Cyberpunk comes out, in a setting where diversity makes sense.

Wow i am actualy suprised to see such a talent(The author of article) it takes serious effort to manage branding a fantasy game as racist :) Wonder whats next for Witcher ; "Famous geneticist blah blah claims that playing Witcher causes mutations"
Oh-ho! A Ban Magnet thread.
Stop being so Rulist :p

Never really kept up with Polygon. Usually I endup on their site due to some Click-Bait title I see on a list of reviews on upcoming games and two sentences in I'm usually out of their cess-pool of a site. Keep calm and carry on.

Forum veteran
Polygon is such an ironic name for a site that only ever reports a single side of things. Also, those of you who dislike the site but can't resist the urge to click might look into the GGBlocker since it loads archived versions of Kotaku, Polygon, RPS, and other clickbaity sites automatically so that you can click on links without contributing anything to the site.

MUFFINS. No, wait.
Muffins are okay to talk about?

Sweet. Look forward to my not-at-all-controversial thread about holocaust-denying muffins.

[Sard Edit]

HERESY?!

(Man is that one happy Pony or what?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wouldn't mind knowing what do employees of CDPR think of Polygon and Anita Sarkeesian bashing TW3 after they spent the last couple of years working really hard on this game.

Last edited:
if you actually read the article the authors sensible. I'm fine w/ the war he's waging I just think tw3 is the wrong battle to pick. blame cdpr for not making zerkitania (w/e) a visible part of the game, blame the author, blame the history of western fantasy mostly, but I disagree that the game would benefit from poc sprinkled throughout the landscape. thats apparently enough to appease, but its got the negative effect of breaking immersion for those who don't need that appeasement (no, not code for 'white ppl'). so I suggest aim higher, make fantasy games/write fiction with different lore, different settings. it doesn't have to be northern white European....but it has been. I don't blame cdpr for staying true to their source material one bit.

As someone who is asian, I really don't care that Witcher 3 was primarily composed of white people. Game developers can make whatever they feel like. I think being inclusive is a great think but seriously, it's extremely dumb to force it on developers to include every demographic into a game. More than anything I'm sick of the political correctness and race baiting that sites like Polygon keep trying to incite to get site hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom