Ponpon shit?

+
Does this actually mean anything? I get the feeling it is poking fun at J Pop or K pop because I don't think anyone would listen to this and think to themselves that this is a good song.

Trying to find the definition of Ponpon but all I found was this definition

TOP DEFINITION
Ponpon
It's when you shove a pineapple up your coochie and give birth to it

I was doing ponpon yesterday and my coochie ripped open

Why go for those UD definitions? :eek:

1609750044987.png

The song lyric in English (not full)

. . . . .
Yes No Yes No couch-casting No

Let me PONPON with you everyday
I am your only PONPON-chan
Let me PONPON everyday
PONPON Everyday

You are my PONPON
I love you doing PONPON
For you I’m doing PONPON
For you I’m doing PONPON

PON PON SHIT
. . . . .

Does this actually mean anything? I get the feeling it is poking fun at J Pop or K pop because I don't think anyone would listen to this and think to themselves that this is a good song.
The song has solid meaning, for sure.

Very 1st line of it - "yes no yes no "pillow" no" - already clarifies the song is about sex: "pillow" refers to a kind of pillow which has "yes" printed on one side, "no" printed on the other side; in some japaneze "Welcome, newlyweds!" TV show in reality, those pillows are actually given to some people (participants, i recon) as a joke, and the purpose of these pillows is to be used in the bedroom by a person who wants to indicate to their sex partner whether they want to have sex at the time, or not. Therefore, 1st line of the song (considering intonations used) - means this: "shall i/we use "yes/no pillow" (like a coin toss), to decide if we want to have sex? No!".

Very next lines of the song then proceed to describe the "sex schedule" which is used by the song's protagonist(s) instead of using the "yes/no pillow". Pinaxep494's version of translating it to english - i find most proper:

Let me fuck with you everyday
I am your fuck toy, afterall
Let me fuck you everyday
Fuck everyday

As he also explains, "The song is by a fictional band called Us Cracks from Cyberpunk 2077 ... The context of this situation is that when a Corporation called for a talent hunt worldwide to form a band, by some big 'coincidence' three people who won were young American-born Japanese girls. The game specially mentions this too, so it is pretty obvious what happened".

And further in the song, there are lines which describe exactly that (translating 'em best i can, probably not so well):

I can't proceed
It's no good
Gonna have sex with sensei

So the whole thing, basically, is one japanese bit of satire about millenia-old phenomena of certain kind of women using their genitalia as one primary method of advancing their career. The thing is so old and yet still so relevant today that only lazy gonks won't have some piece making fun of it. Even russians do it (one can use auto-translate subs to english when watching it on youtube full page, to see them quite funny lyrics there):

So yeah, this theme is really same story everywhere, and PONPON song in CP2077 is far not the worst take about the subject. Actually, pretty well made one.

Last edited:

Pufty

Forum regular
Seeing that song in a mission, it didn't just poke fun of that type of music that I do not speak of, but it also... broke down my defenses, stuck in my head and looked good (with that animation). I was looking and wondering why the animation wasn't fully released or something, because it looked damn amazing...

and that is the story how I got interested in the animations and ads this game has, where before my brain usually has an adblocker on.

The song we all hate but love listening to
I don't hate it. Why would i. The song's truly exceptional music, in actuality - ask any good musician and they'll confirm it.

And i can explain why this is actually objective truth.

In short, music is timed sequences of specific duration sounds which have specific frequences - ones following certain rules. There are certain (very complex) mathematical equations which define which combinations and sequences of sounds are pleasant for human ears, which ones are nothing special, and which ones are cacophony - i.e. much unpleasant, disqusting. Classic music theory figured certain relatively simple ways to describe it, including "harmony" - a word pretty everybody knows.

Harmonies are objectively pleasant to human ears (well for normally developed folks at least).

So this song? Its excellence as a piece of music, 1st and foremost, is in what it brings in terms of harmonies used:

- simplicity: unlike old-school "symphonic orchestra" pieces 20+ mins long which have harmonies consisting of many dozens different tonalities in various sequences, this song works with only few chords, thus "easy to dig";

- originality: unlike vast majority of other songs in existance (including almost all other songs in the game), this song uses highly unusual tonalities sequence: starts with minor chords quite usual and typical, and then _sometimes_ concludes current musical phrase with usual minor chord - but at other times, shifts to major chords instead. Most songs are either in "minor" or "major" chords / scales in their entirety, but this song shifts back and forth between the two. If this paragraph sounds weird - some details about this side of classic music theory can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_and_minor#Keys ;

- vocals are supreme from "technical" point of view. Combining traditional precise-pitch close harmony with very massive yet in its own way non-chaotic, systematic dissonance is another very unusual, uncommon and yet greatly sounding method used;

- arrangement is excellent to say the least. Bass guitar line is very refined and perfectly temperated. Background keys are subtle yet clear. Even much loved by classic music tradition "echo" kind of vocals-instruments interaction is there, and done very well.

All in all, i am sure that if old "serious" composers like Vivaldi and Bach would be alive today - they'd (reluctantly) nod to the mastery with which this particular song is created. As honest musicians, they would have no choice other than confirm the evident facts - even though they'd be reluctant to comment on such a "silly and too primitive to be significant" piece of music. :)

I am pretty sure ponpon is a japanese "kawai" slang for love/sex. If anyone curious of the "IRL US Cracks," here the channel & video of Makopuri/Blue Moon & Asachill/Red Menace (no Purple Force??)

Unbelievably crappy performance, that "real world one". Mic / sound quality is shit, no sound director whatsoever, volume jumps, "camera person" probably took half dozen beers shortly before, and i'd say plenty harsh words to those nice gals about their vocal performance if that'd be my job to estimate how good singers they were - at the time, then and there.

But it's cosplay, though. Them gals have fun. Never meant to be quality music recording, i recon. Thus best not to bring it up when discussing music (not cosplay), unless the goal is to make some ears bleed. ;)

P.S. Here's some healing for those of us already suffered the damage :D

Last edited:
I don't hate it. Why would i. The song's truly exceptional music, in actuality - ask any good musician and they'll confirm it.

And i can explain why this is actually objective truth.

In short, music is timed sequences of specific duration sounds which have specific frequences - ones following certain rules. There are certain (very complex) mathematical equations which define which combinations and sequences of sounds are pleasant for human ears, which ones are nothing special, and which ones are cacophony - i.e. much unpleasant, disqusting. Classic music theory figured certain relatively simple ways to describe it, including "harmony" - a word pretty everybody knows.

Harmonies are objectively pleasant to human ears (well for normally developed folks at least).

So this song? Its excellence as a piece of music, 1st and foremost, is in what it brings in terms of harmonies used:

- simplicity: unlike old-school "symphonic orchestra" pieces 20+ mins long which have harmonies consisting of many dozens different tonalities in various sequences, this song works with only few chords, thus "easy to dig";

- originality: unlike vast majority of other songs in existance (including almost all other songs in the game), this song uses highly unusual tonalities sequence: starts with minor chords quite usual and typical, and then _sometimes_ concludes current musical phrase with usual minor chord - but at other times, shifts to major chords instead. Most songs are either in "minor" or "major" chords / scales in their entirety, but this song shifts back and forth between the two. If this paragraph sounds weird - some details about this side of classic music theory can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_and_minor#Keys ;

- vocals are supreme from "technical" point of view. Combining traditional precise-pitch close harmony with very massive yet in its own way non-chaotic, systematic dissonance is another very unusual, uncommon and yet greatly sounding method used;

- arrangement is excellent to say the least. Bass guitar line is very refined and perfectly temperated. Background keys are subtle yet clear. Even much loved by classic music tradition "echo" kind of vocals-instruments interaction is there, and done very well.

All in all, i am sure that if old "serious" composers like Vivaldi and Bach would be alive today - they'd (reluctantly) nod to the mastery with which this particular song is created. As honest musicians, they would have no choice other than confirm the evident facts - even though they'd be reluctant to comment on such a "silly and too primitive to be significant" piece of music. :)
Lol "technically" good satire
Ask any good satirist.

If you are confused by this comment and want more information on satire please visit....

Top Bottom