Poor controls design for PC: unwanted actions happen all the time!

+
One simple example for every problem:
1. Pick up the body and replace your gun with a new one assign to one button. Guess where this leads.
2. The delay before detecting a long press is too small which makes it difficult to switch the radio. You have to try to make the press very fast.
3. Once you've unlocked the perk, you can reload while in sprint, but you can't start it when you're already sprinting. You need to stop, start the action and start sprinting again.
4. Reloading of some weapons cannot be normally interrupted by switching to another or sprinting
5. It is unclear how the order in which scripts are installed in the deck determines the order in which they appear in the quick hack menu. This leads to the fact that when you change the deck or several scripts at a time, you have to re-get used to their order in the menu.
6. Shootings from behind cover are inconvenient, since the game can not always tell if you want to look from the side or from above.
7. Many actions that the player will constantly repeat (selling several items in a row, crafting, dismantling) do not provide for the option of quickly marking several for one action or choosing the amount (as with crafting)
8. While driving, the call answer button (m + k) is too far from the control keys, while the mouse buttons are completely unused and could be used for this or other actions (refill health, for example)
9. And since we are talking about driving, why is there no way to control the rotation of the wheels using mouse movements? You can select the right mouse button for this so that the player can switch between free view and steering modes. It is very frustrating to constantly have to correct the direction of travel with these sharp turns 5-10 degrees at a time and not be able to make smooth turns when necessary.
10. There are no buttons for slow walking and there is no way to enable "natural" camera movement for cinematic experience, as if emulating a smooth head movement. The city is beautiful and the directing of the dialogue scenes is great, but the jerky movements of the player ruins the immersion
11. The game constantly asks to sit down to continue the dialogue. Often the button is responsible only for the action: first the character sits down, and then you choose the answer in dialogues. But sometimes the same button is responsible for the action and for the choice of the answer during it. As a result, the player first learns to always sit down on demand, and then he is faced with the fact that he hastened and chose some answer in the dialogue. Action and choice of answer in a conversation must be separated! It is possible that another option would be to require a long press in such cases (and in all others related to the "sit down" action too).

There are probably still many problems that I simply forgot about.

Written with google translate. I apologize for possible mistakes and inaccuracies in the names and use of words.

Last edited:
One of the most annoying thing was using the same key with crouching and skipping dialogue. I was sneaking into somewhere, then dialogue started. I wanted to get up but because of these two functions share the same key, it skipped the dialogue.

It's a bad decision for a story-driven game. And this problem is not happening only on PC keyboard, the same is exist on controllers.

iCake

Forum veteran
Agree with everything but number 6. I did have some mishaps there, but I could usually always tell where I'd pop out. I think it's very intuitive, well, for me anyway.

Some additions:

Double tap for dodge, either for directional or crouch buttons is the worse idea ever, just give us a dedicated button for dodge

Double tap alt to holster is very finicky, again just give us a dedicated holster button

Why do we have two buttons for crouch? Just leave one and add a toggle in options to make it behave ike you'd want it to, either hold to crouch or tap to crouch, no need to use 2 different keys here. Then maybe you'll find yourself a free button to bind "walk" to.
Post automatically merged:

One of the most annoying thing was using the same key with crouching and skipping dialogue. I was sneaking into somewhere, then dialogue started. I wanted to get up but because of these two functions share the same key, it skipped the dialogue.

It's a bad decision for a story-driven game. And this problem is not happening only on PC keyboard, the same is exist on controllers.

Pretty sure it's fixed with 1.05. I saw a keybinding for "skip dialogue" and "crouch" there.

The double tap dodge is awful with no option to rebind it to one key and it's missing a toggle aim option/bind.

Really shows how they didn't have proper testing done on the PC.

Eh, that's not a testing issue. It's a, "You shouldn't do it this way because it's bad.", issue. I'd give the same feedback for the controls overall for both KB+M and controller. Sorry, gotta call a spade a spade.

Disagree about 6. cover works perfectly fine, also with 8.
My bigger concern are not working perks, especially in Int tree - Anamnesis and Subliminal Message, both very important perks.

The double tap dodge is awful with no option to rebind it to one key and it's missing a toggle aim option/bind.

It's terrible on controller too.

I also wanted to add -- for some reason the down button freezes in dialogue trees on both controller and keyboard. You have to reload to fix it.

Having to double tap B is a horrible idea since 50% of the time I wind up in crouch mid firefight. I find that I get around most broken systems in this game by using another broken one: blasting through walls with my tech rifle with almost no damage dropoff or penetration scale. Combined with the enemy AI its made very dangerous encounters trivial.

i would add the choice to hotkey for holding down the weapon with a different button that switches weapon. How many time instead of putting down gun V switches weapon. It's not convenient. and the wheel menu by holding the hotkey it's kind useless on pc. the console gameplay doesn't fit for a pc gaming.

Top Bottom