Poor perfomance after 1.5 update

+
I just updated to the latest version and framerates are noticeable lower now. For example, I used to get +60FPS on the exact same settings but now I get about 50FPS and sometimes framerate drops down to 40 FPS! I tried lowering settings and disabling RT shadows but there's no way that I can make the game run as smooth as before. GPU usage is always 99%, GPU is boosting like it should and my PC performs fine in other games.

Any help? I didn't notice any visual improvements which would explain the difference.

PC specs:
Intel Core i7 11700F
32GB DDR4 @3200Mhz CL15 (Dual Rank)
Asus RTX 3060 Ti Dual @2040Mhz
2 x 1TB NVME

My settings:
2560x1440
DLSS Balanced
Medium-High settings
RT medium
Crowd density High
Post automatically merged:

UPDATE:
I just noticed that restarting the game makes the framerate go back to normal. I can play with decent framerates for a while until framerates start to drop. It doesn't seem to be RAM or VRAM leak either since I'm monitoring their usage.

Last edited:
I get the same poor performance in this version compared to 1.3.1. I'm using:
  • Win 10 21H2, fully updated,
  • 32GB RAM,
  • Intel 10700K (not overclocked),
  • RTX3070 (not overclocked),
  • latest nvidia drivers,
  • the game is installed on a NVME drive.
  • I run it at 1440p, no framerate sync, no max framerate, RTX on, DLSS on quality, most other settings High or Ultra.
On 1.3 I got about 70fps max, 40-45fps min. Not great, but smooth enough in all situations. With 1.5 I get 45fps max, 20-25fps or so min and it feels really laggy and the framerate is noticeably poor. Even turning DLSS to balanced or performance only makes it a bit smoother, but the fps is still v low in the map (the map is SO laggy now) and generally outside in the city. So basically, I've had to reduce my gfx settings to end up with not quite as good framerate. It makes it not fun to play, so I think i'll lay off it until a fix comes along, which i hope doesn't take long, as its the most enjoyable single player game I've played in a while.

Yeah they added some additional RT quality improvements like local shadows and better reflections. Sad thing is that those are not an extra option but are enabled by default when RT is on, that is why performance is lower.

I just updated to the latest version and framerates are noticeable lower now. For example, I used to get +60FPS on the exact same settings but now I get about 50FPS and sometimes framerate drops down to 40 FPS! I tried lowering settings and disabling RT shadows but there's no way that I can make the game run as smooth as before. GPU usage is always 99%, GPU is boosting like it should and my PC performs fine in other games.

Any help? I didn't notice any visual improvements which would explain the difference.

PC specs:
Intel Core i7 11700F
32GB DDR4 @3200Mhz CL15 (Dual Rank)
Asus RTX 3060 Ti Dual @2040Mhz
2 x 1TB NVME

My settings:
2560x1440
DLSS Balanced
Medium-High settings
RT medium
Crowd density High
Post automatically merged:

UPDATE:
I just noticed that restarting the game makes the framerate go back to normal. I can play with decent framerates for a while until framerates start to drop. It doesn't seem to be RAM or VRAM leak either since I'm monitoring their usage.
I'm surprised you say you don't see visual improvements, generally I think 1.5 looks and feels like a big improvement, with smoother graphics and a lot of improved behaviour in the NPCs, traffic, animations. Played it for a few sessions now, couple of hours each time, and not seen a drop-off over time.

But there is something up. Switching from gameplay to menus is causing problems for one thing. I seem to be getting better performance by dropping Texture Quality to Medium, but that's not an answer (it looks crap).

I'm surprised you say you don't see visual improvements, generally I think 1.5 looks and feels like a big improvement, with smoother graphics and a lot of improved behaviour in the NPCs, traffic, animations. Played it for a few sessions now, couple of hours each time, and not seen a drop-off over time.

But there is something up. Switching from gameplay to menus is causing problems for one thing. I seem to be getting better performance by dropping Texture Quality to Medium, but that's not an answer (it looks crap).
Same here exept for the inventory problems as ive not hade any so far. Gfx is better or i think its mainly the lighting thats better and with better bounce on diffrent surfaces(floors/ground isent just flat anymore). Seen some odd textures and a arm that looked like NES gfx after i cut it off but thats about it. Flickering textures at some spots and minor stuff like that.

Memory leak. Common issue with CP2077. Performance will get worse over time and stuff like that happens. Especially with High textures and RT on.

It's especially a problem in Little China.

It is not a leak, it needs that amount of memory.
No something is going on. Walking from one space to another, eg inside to outside, can trigger a huge framerate drop (over 50% in my case) that does not go away without reloading, but once you reload the frame rate is back to normal.

No something is going on. Walking from one space to another, eg inside to outside, can trigger a huge framerate drop (over 50% in my case) that does not go away without reloading, but once you reload the frame rate is back to normal.
Yes, well, memory consumption changes when you visit different area's, and it probably doesn't unload everything it previously loaded, but i am pretty sure that is a technical design choice.
A memory leak would mean the memory usage doesn't stop rising....
But the game doesn't utilise the full memory of cards with 16 or 24 GB VRAM.
So effectively there is no leak and this is not an issue.
The only thing they could do is optimize the code to use less memory, and that would probably decrease general performance.

Yes, well, memory consumption changes when you visit different area's, and it probably doesn't unload everything it previously loaded, but i am pretty sure that is a technical design choice.
A memory leak would mean the memory usage doesn't stop rising....
But the game doesn't utilise the full memory of cards with 16 or 24 GB VRAM.
So effectively there is no leak and this is not an issue.
The only thing they could do is optimize the code to use less memory, and that would probably decrease general performance.
The new patch introduced this problem for me. It's very unlikely to be by design. It creates a persistent low frame rate that does not recur upon reloading. It cannot reliably be replicated. So whatever the cause, something is up.

The new patch introduced this problem for me. It's very unlikely to be by design. It creates a persistent low frame rate that does not recur upon reloading. It cannot reliably be replicated. So whatever the cause, something is up.
For me, the problem has always been there.
Game needs more than 8 GB of VRAM with textures to high and Raytracing on, at least in certain area's.
I did some testing and VRAM usage simply goes back down when you leave these area's.
I play at 1440p, so maybe people who previously played at 1080p now also have it at that resolution as memory usage seems to have gone up a little.
But i am affraid that is the case because improvements have been made and visual improvements can require memory.

Game needs more than 8 GB of VRAM with textures to high and Raytracing on, at least in certain area's.
I did some testing and VRAM usage simply goes back down when you leave these area's.
I play at 1440p, so maybe people who previously played at 1080p now also have it at that resolution as memory usage seems to have gone up a little.
But i am affraid that is the case because improvements have been made and visual improvements can require memory.
By persistent i mean that it persists regardless of where you are thereafter. I could drive out of the city and stare at the sky in the desert and it would still be 18 FPS.

For sure, ray-tracing performs better with higher-performance card, but eating up VRAM isn't it as far as I can see. Here's a bit of history of me roaming around the market near Misty's, then going into Misty's place - hope the traces are visible. Crowd density High, mid-morning so fairly busy. Pretty solid FPS and as far as I can see, VRAM and RAM do nothing special. The big drops in FPS are when I call up the map.

2022-02-20 (3).png

hmm looks like we are talking different issues here.
I don't have fps drops when i bring up the map, at least, as far as i know.

hmm looks like we are talking different issues here.
I don't have fps drops when i bring up the map, at least, as far as i know.
Sorry, the thread kind of morphed further up to include the drop in FPS on opening the map and some other menu screens. Elsewhere someone has explained about how Windows makes system RAM available to the GPU, and CP2077 definitely uses it (on my PC at least). So overall the memory use can maybe look pretty constant, but system RAM is being read/written to, may be explanation for intermittent performance hits.

DC9V

Forum veteran
before 1.5, this happend to me as well a couple of times, e.g. on Jig-Jig Street. Quickloading a save solved it. I thought it was because I was using a custom DLSS file. So far I haven't seen it occur in Patch 1.5, using the default DLSS version 2.3.4.0, but I haven't played that much yet.

@Lare111 Maybe take a look at your motherboard's manual. When using 2x16 dual rank memory its important to double check if they're installed in the correct slots for dual channel operation.

I am experiencing performance issues when I enter/exit in the map, frame rate drops drastically and I have to reload the save. Sometimes it happens even without entering the map, in certain areas, dunno why, performance suddenly collapses and it's necessary reload the save.
it seems a memory-management problem but by opening the task manager I don't notice any anomalous value

Lors

Forum regular
There is definitely something wrong with the VRAM management. In some instance I saw it adds up to 800MB VRAM by just opening the map.

Top Bottom