Poor perfomance after 1.5 update

+

DC9V

Forum veteran
So there was a driver update a few days before Patch 1.5 came out...
I notice that my GPU performance got slightly worse in Patch 1.5, and I thought this was due to the new ray traced local shadows. However, to my surprise, the GPU performance went back to normal after I had shut down the computer and turned off the power supply for 10 minutes. I ran the in-game benchmark, and the frame rate was back to normal.
TL;DR If you're having performance issues, try performing a cold boot!

Never mind, it's a bug in the settings.
This benchmark result states the RT Ultra preset although it hasn't been applied.

Benchmark BUG.png

Last edited:
I just updated to the latest version and framerates are noticeable lower now. For example, I used to get +60FPS on the exact same settings but now I get about 50FPS and sometimes framerate drops down to 40 FPS! I tried lowering settings and disabling RT shadows but there's no way that I can make the game run as smooth as before. GPU usage is always 99%, GPU is boosting like it should and my PC performs fine in other games.

Any help? I didn't notice any visual improvements which would explain the difference.

PC specs:
Intel Core i7 11700F
32GB DDR4 @3200Mhz CL15 (Dual Rank)
Asus RTX 3060 Ti Dual @2040Mhz
2 x 1TB NVME

My settings:
2560x1440
DLSS Balanced
Medium-High settings
RT medium
Crowd density High
Post automatically merged:

UPDATE:
I just noticed that restarting the game makes the framerate go back to normal. I can play with decent framerates for a while until framerates start to drop. It doesn't seem to be RAM or VRAM leak either since I'm monitoring their usage.
Hello everyone! My rig is 5600x + 3070 + 48GB RAM + NVME SSD. About performance leak, when you can get low fps and won't get it back even if u fast travel into desert outside of NC. There is no matter how heavy scene is, can happen everywhere. If i save, close the game and load back - fps gets back to normal in the exact same scene and place. It seems to be a engine's VRAM usage issue, here is what i've noticed: my gpu is always utilised for 100%, note: it is 100% of graphical processor only, not VRAM. Also i've been monitoring power usage of my videocard, in CP it's normally near 190watt, but when i'm getting performance leak - it becomes only 100watt, and GPU is still 100% utilised. That means VRAM not getting power because game stops using it. My conclusion - game stops using VRAM and starts to use RAM instead. And that explains the only fix - close the game and restart.

GLN7

Forum regular
So effectively there is no leak and this is not an issue.
The only thing they could do is optimize the code to use less memory, and that would probably decrease general performance.
This is not what optimization means.

Optimization. Optimal. Optimal - what is best for everything. Maximal is what we have now, and that comes with decreased performance. You speak like an authority, but appear to have very little.

The game manages memory poorly. If it is not an actual leak, who cares. That is semantics. The reality is that there are strange and significant FPS drops related to memory usage in the game still, and optimizing should only ever decrease performance in an unnoticeable/meaningless way, as otherwise that wouldn't be very optimal now would it?

Yes, well, memory consumption changes when you visit different area's, and it probably doesn't unload everything it previously loaded, but i am pretty sure that is a technical design choice.
A memory leak would mean the memory usage doesn't stop rising....
But the game doesn't utilise the full memory of cards with 16 or 24 GB VRAM.
So effectively there is no leak and this is not an issue.
The only thing they could do is optimize the code to use less memory, and that would probably decrease general performance.
Reminds me of the situations when ppl complain about something substantial but the government says "everythings fine" or "it's in your hands, you have to try harder" xD

It's September, 2022, I have performance issues too, even despite of 1.6. I still have to restart the game to get my FPS back, yes. All of you probably remember 1.0 with T-poses and texture bugs, so I thought maybe in the future they'll fix the game, but instead they just killed it. How is that even possible to make the performance worse with the updates?

Besides, what 16 or 24 GB VRAM are we talking about? It's quite hard to imagine a game that requires more than 8 GB of VRAM, guess why most of 30XX series have this exact amount of memory. I have 2080S, my PC is up-to-date this much that it could run every major project without any troubles. I agree, you should upgrade your hardware from time to time, but users with 3080 complain, users with 3080 TI complain about CP2077 after 1.5.

And getting CDPR's attention on that is above us, boys. Once they said that they fixed the utilization of AMD CPU cores when they actually did not. So now they may think that everything is working as intended as well.

Besides, what 16 or 24 GB VRAM are we talking about? It's quite hard to imagine a game that requires more than 8 GB of VRAM, guess why most of 30XX series have this exact amount of memory. I have 2080S, my PC is up-to-date this much that it could run every major project without any troubles. I agree, you should upgrade your hardware from time to time, but users with 3080 complain, users with 3080 TI complain about CP2077 after 1.5.

And getting CDPR's attention on that is above us, boys. Once they said that they fixed the utilization of AMD CPU cores when they actually did not. So now they may think that everything is working as intended as well.
Not that rare too see over 10 gb vram usage nowdays. It all depends on resolution and detail of the game. The game is very demanding tho and even with 3090tis some settings just murder FPS.

The AMD fix is weird tho, they fixed it then unfixed it i think. I generaly use CET for the fix anyways so i see higher cpu usage but im not sure it really does anything.

Top Bottom