Poor Performance on Nvidia Kepler Cards

+
Poor Performance on Nvidia Kepler Cards

Firstly: great job CD Projekt Red. The 7 hours I've spent with The Witcher 3 have been greatly enjoyable, the game is amazing.

However, 7XX series Nvidia cards are not performing as well as they should. According to benchmarks, the 960 is besting the 780, which makes no sense.

I personally am running a 4670K 3.4 ghz core i5, 780Ti, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1. Latest drivers and day 1 patch.

I have all post processing effects on, SSAO, hair off, and a mix of ultra, high, and medium graphics options. I'm getting an inconsistent framerate between 40-60.

The 780Ti should be marginally more powerful than a 970, but that card is putting up much better numbers. Kepler users would really appreciate some optimization for our GPUs. It's a little frustrating to put so much money into a card, and then have it under-utilized.

Dropping into the 50s occasionally is acceptable, but when we're getting down into the low 40s with an average of high settings... Not so great for such a powerful card. Even more so considering this game runs quite decently on the PS4, which isn't in the same universe in terms of power.

I'm downloading the old driver as we speak, though I've heard some say it makes no difference, others say it can add as much as 20fps. I will report my findings- an extra 20fps sounds great!

---------- Updated at 09:00 PM ----------

On the Nvidia forums, they just posted that their software team is investigating the issue.

Hey guys,

May I join the party? GTX 760 2GB Overclocked edition user.

45-55 on the lowest possible settings with textures at medium...

Insane...

Rolling back the driver to the Gta V ready one really helped. I'm seeing +10 fps. Looks like Nvidia really mucked things up for Kepler with the new driver.

nVidia has all but given up on making any driver improvements for the GTX 7xx series cards and the benchmarks prove it. The GTX 780ti should be easily as powerful as a GTX 970, but it does substantially worse.

I'm not sure what's more insulting. Being lied to about a downgrade or spending $500 on a graphics card nVidia stops driver improvements for a year after you purchase it.

Top Bottom