Pop in, light rendering, shadows, and shimmering are almost unbearable for me

+
I recently just bought a new GPU and decided to download CP 2077 for the first time since December. I've already beaten it a couple times but decided I'd give it another go round with the recent patches. 8-9 hours into the game I'm having some pretty noticeable effects while driving. Everything in the video below is constant for me as I drive.

(3) Cyberpunk 2077 Pop in, flickering, and light rendering issues - YouTube

The video here shows a sample of me driving during the daytime and let me preface this by saying this is what it looks like for me the majority of the time. I'd recommend watching the video in HD or higher but it still may be hard to see everything I'm seeing as I play the game.

At 3 seconds you can see a gray and pixelated color start moving across the yellow crosswalk. At the 00:04 mark you can see how the light just pops in out of no where illuminating a large portion of the roadway and building above. Then it becomes dark all of the sudden at around 00:12 even before I make it to the bridge, like the timing is off on the shadows/lighting. At 00:18 you can see I come to the first speed bump and these all flicker 30 feet away and pop in as I approach them which is jarring.

At 24 seconds you can see smoke 40 feet in front of me and to the right completely disappear. 26 seconds part of the cylinder building on the right pops in remaining detail. At 30 seconds is where parked cars, parts of buildings, and other textures load in one after the other. Again, sorry if it's hard to see everything in the video and although I realize the game doesn't have the best pop in, I do not recall having as many issues with light/lod rendering when I played months back. Does anyone else experience this as well while driving during the day and is there anything you do that helps? At this point I've tried everything in settings as well as Nvidia control panel/updating drivers.

Last edited:
Something odd does seem to be going on especially with the strange grey bleed into the texture early on and the sudden drop to darkness as you go into the road dip (I didn't look at every detail).

While I do see popin from time to time, on a 3070 I don't see the issues I just mentioned (I run at max with DLSS off).

Have you tried DLSS on and off for comparison to check it's not DLSS related?

Also, I experimented with using something called resizable bar and it occasionally produced some rather peculiar results. It's a PCI 4 tech, so you won't have it if you don't have a PCI 4 motherboard or compatible CPU, but if you do, try turning it off for comparison (you have to do that in the BIOS settings of your PC).

Yes, this is with dlss off. Dlss seems to cover up some of the issue with shimmering but that's about it. I actually have an EVGA 3090 FTW. When I open Precision x1 though and it says resizable bar is disabled. I don't think my z-390 tuf mobo can enable it. I'm getting a little worried that there is an issue with the card itself as I've tried underclocking it but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

it isn't anything to do with your setup, trust me. the game was perfect at launch in terms of rendering and graphic fidelity, but in the recent patches they kept turning things down it terms of engine streaming to try and make base consoles run better. as a result, the PC version now looks like... that.

it isn't anything to do with your setup, trust me. the game was perfect at launch in terms of rendering and graphic fidelity, but in the recent patches they kept turning things down it terms of engine streaming to try and make base consoles run better. as a result, the PC version now looks like... that.
I actually think you're right. I'm not having issues in any other games right now. And I definitely wasn't having as many issues as I was with CP 2077 6 months ago. Find it hard to believe my brand new 3090 is the cause of it. I understand that doesn't mean anything considering there are faulty GPUs, but this is probably the last game I should be testing it on in terms of visual validation... lol. Sadly, it's a shame though. I really do enjoy this game aside from all of its flaws but at this point it's unplayable for me regarding this kind of pop in.
Post automatically merged:

Something odd does seem to be going on especially with the strange grey bleed into the texture early on and the sudden drop to darkness as you go into the road dip (I didn't look at every detail).

While I do see popin from time to time, on a 3070 I don't see the issues I just mentioned (I run at max with DLSS off).

Have you tried DLSS on and off for comparison to check it's not DLSS related?

Also, I experimented with using something called resizable bar and it occasionally produced some rather peculiar results. It's a PCI 4 tech, so you won't have it if you don't have a PCI 4 motherboard or compatible CPU, but if you do, try turning it off for comparison (you have to do that in the BIOS settings of your PC).
I actually think that gray pixelation is from surface reflections option which causes that sort of ghosting at times. I've actually seen it with my weapon sway and my character moving across certain terrain.

I actually think you're right. I'm not having issues in any other games right now. And I definitely wasn't having as many issues as I was with CP 2077 6 months ago. Find it hard to believe my brand new 3090 is the cause of it. I understand that doesn't mean anything considering there are faulty GPUs, but this is probably the last game I should be testing it on in terms of visual validation... lol. Sadly, it's a shame though. I really do enjoy this game aside from all of its flaws but at this point it's unplayable for me regarding this kind of pop in.

I actually think that gray pixelation is from surface reflections option which causes that sort of ghosting at times. I've actually seen it with my weapon sway and my character moving across certain terrain.
Its not your GPU. The downgrade is so obvious. Serious problems with LOD at a distance, shadows, lighting and textures.

Its not your GPU. The downgrade is so obvious. Serious problems with LOD at a distance, shadows, lighting and textures.

Yeah, worst offenders for me are the traffic lights at night, I literally cannot drive fast through downtown without hitting cars that haven't streamed their tail lights or head lights in which makes them virtually invisible at high speeds.

Yes, this is with dlss off. Dlss seems to cover up some of the issue with shimmering but that's about it. I actually have an EVGA 3090 FTW. When I open Precision x1 though and it says resizable bar is disabled. I don't think my z-390 tuf mobo can enable it. I'm getting a little worried that there is an issue with the card itself as I've tried underclocking it but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
It's definitely not your card. If you look at the videos in another thread regarding shadow flicker, for example, it's very clear that multiple people with the 3090 are having the same issues with flickering shadows. There may be some variation in behaviour between cards in the RTX line which might (stress: might) point to a driver issue.

The pop in is just a fact of life for the time being in Cyberpunk.

Batak

Forum regular
I just reinstalled the game again for 1.23 patch, to test the LOD issues. Guest what guys !? Still no fix, the horrible pop-ins, texture flickering and shimering are still present.

Not even useful mods are able to fix this issue sadly.

I just reinstalled the game again for 1.23 patch, to test the LOD issues. Guest what guys !? Still no fix, the horrible pop-ins, texture flickering and shimering are still present.

Not even useful mods are able to fix this issue sadly.
I tested to. SSR still grainy, car and people textures still load in real time as u get close to them, LOD issues the same. Performance improvement its breathtaking meaning none. :facepalm:

Any idea when the lod/ light and shadow draw became an issue? Was it after a certain patch because when I played this game back in December it wasn't half this bad. Sure it still had pop in with cars and NPCs but it seems like everything is poppin at this point.

I tested to. SSR still grainy, car and people textures still load in real time as u get close to them, LOD issues the same. Performance improvement its breathtaking meaning none. :facepalm:
It's insane to me that they took the decently working PC port to this nonsense. For what reason? I mean aside from some of the core bugs at launch the pop in wasn't half this bad and now it's literally everything. Lighting, shadows, NPCs, cars, crosswalks, street lights, etc. It really wrecked the immersion for me.

Yep, same here with a 2070. The day one pc version was graphicly better that it is today and was running better for me. I realy hope CDPR read this thread and are aware of this, while i love the game i think this issue is an immersive breaking to the game. This downgrade for the pc version is sad...
However best regard CDPR, i realy hope you considering to do something about this, at least let us an option to adjust the LOD by ourself.

How does this in anyway make the game unplayable though? Granted it's shitty, but I'm pretty you can still play the game just fine.

How does this in anyway make the game unplayable though? Granted it's shitty, but I'm pretty you can still play the game just fine.
The subject is not if the game is playable or not. Your commentry is irrelevant. We're talking about a technical issue that was not here in previous versions of the game, like i said, to me this is an immersive breaking and i think it is for a lot of people too. If you don't care about graphics being downgrade, good for you.

Was it after a certain patch
The big one, 1.1. significant changes in look of lights. After that it was more gradual "adjustments". But also i remember one of first patches (1.03 or 1.04) caused car lights to go out when they got close.

Please remember to report issue here:

It doesn't matter if you think it already has been reported by others, the more who report the issue the higher the chance of it being fixed.

Also, when you do report the issue be as concise as possible, provide the dxdiag file and screenhots if possible.

In my experience, each ticket gets answered and they actually do try to solve the issue, but it takes time.

I reported my problem, an Area around Clean Cut Clinic isn't rendering properly, walls and ground are blurry and untextured.

I reported my problem, an Area around Clean Cut Clinic isn't rendering properly, walls and ground are blurry and untextured.
It could be in your save, I know where it and it's fine for me :(
It's not the same as nearby area (event with blue star) Maelstromer vs Tygers where all the ground is not textured at all (entire unified grey floor).
For you, it could be good to try on a "fresh" new save on 1.23 for see if it's the same.

There is a gang fight that is the exact area I'm talking about, no rendered ground and walls around there area are unfinished. Also I've tried multiple accounts and saves over different patches.

It could be in your save, I know where it and it's fine for me :(
It's not the same as nearby area (event with blue star) Maelstromer vs Tygers where all the ground is not textured at all (entire unified grey floor).
For you, it could be good to try on a "fresh" new save on 1.23 for see if it's the same.
Missed the quote, sorry

Top Bottom