Portrayal of Avallac'h

+
Portrayal of Avallac'h

First thing's first. I haven't read the books. But the since the release of the game, I have been reading bits and pieces from here and there and realized that I was wrong about Avallac'h or the game made me. I mean, I had no idea of his past and his dirty deeds with Eredin. I just thought "ah, here is a random sage, trying to help Ciri with a bit of side agenda but eventually he is good". Is it just me or the game creates this impression for those who haven't read the books? If so, would it be safe to say that his portrayal in the game is way off?

It's not simple. Avallac's character isn't extraordinarily deep in the books, but has a sufficient backstory and motivation to keep it interesting for the brief time that he appears in the novels. Suffice to say, the Avallac in the game is quite a bit different in terms of goals and motivations. So I'd say those who have read the novels should be equally as confused if not more than those who only know the games.

This is not at all to say, that Avallac is necessarily a bad character because he doesn't adhere to the history of the novels. I think quite a few people on this forum truly adore the novels and get caught up in their disappointment between discrepancies in the book and game. However it's doubly confusing because while it is clear that the Witcher games are nothing more than pleasant fanfiction to the original novels, the game is constantly reminding you of its canonical aspirations by way of constantly referencing, name dropping and pushing brief mentions of characters and histories your way, when it has no relevance to the games. It makes it difficult to decide whether this game wants to be treated as an alternate take on the Witcher world, or a canonical sequel to the original material.

And...I've gone a bit off topic. I've read the books in Polish and French and Avallac's portrayal in the games is quite startling and confusing to me. It's one of those moments in the game where you close your eyes and pretend you don't know a thing about the books so you can try and reconcile this character a bit better.

If I remember correctly in the books he was an arrogant prick,who thought,that all humans were trash.So yeah,he's portrayal in the game is kinda off.

If I remember correctly in the books he was an arrogant prick,who thought,that all humans were trash.So yeah,he's portrayal in the game is kinda off.

Yepp, but arrogancy is hardly a character trait here. Basically all Aen Elle think that they are superior to humans. It's real racism.

Yepp, but arrogancy is hardly a character trait here. Basically all Aen Elle think that they are superior to humans. It's real racism.

Well put.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then he is in the character limbo as well? I mean, stuck between Sapkowski's and CDPR writers' idea of him. Seems lots of characters are like this. I don't know why CDPR chose this way.

I've chosen all the meanest dialogue options in the game regarding to Avallac'h, because I would better hand over Ciri to Emhyr than let her go along with his agenda, considering his previous actions and behaviour in the books. So I was kinda satisfied that CDPR let me acting like a prick with him, although they didn't explain the reasons behind that option in the game :)

How fun it would be for them to incidentally encounter a modern special forces group from our world whilst following Ciri...

The humiliating shock as they see just how much of a canon fodder the "elite" Wild Hunt is in comparison...

How fun it would be for them to incidentally encounter a modern special forces group from our world whilst following Ciri...

The humiliating shock as they see just how much of a canon fodder the "elite" Wild Hunt is in comparison...

An elven mage would wipe a "modern special forces group" within seconds. They wouldn't even know who or what hit em... :2guns:

An elven mage would wipe a "modern special forces group" within seconds. They wouldn't even know who or what hit em... :2guns:

Uhm... mate :p...
It is the opposite... the entire Wild Hunt would be massacred in seconds. Their armor cant stop modern weapons. At all. It is butter.
Their weapons cant pierce modern treated armor. Their hand to hand skills will be equal at best (and probably much worse than our soldiers).

Their mages are the ONLY thing that is an issue. And even then, an easy to solve issue.

Top Bottom