Portrayals of Men and Women in The Witcher III

+
Dragons, griffins and fireballs compared to... high heels? Wat.

High heels are not unrealistic (and no one said that) but the context is very important. Don't know you but wearing high heels and open dresses during the Battle of KH is pure nonsense to me. Yen in Kaer Trolde during the feast? That's fine wearing high heels and dresses there, but not when you have to fight for your life.

Just an example, when Yen saved Dandelion's life in the books she was wearing a male outfit. (Sapkowski ftw)

Still, why those heels are so important? This game is full of nonsense anyways, if you want to put it like that. In real life you can't swim across the ocean with full armor and swords on, you can't fight like a maniac without your towel dropping off, you can't drink healing potions during a sword fight, why doesn't their hair get flat when it rains etc.

While watching this, remember that Ciri is Kaer Morhen trained ;) "I'm a woman, I love wearing heels" (borrowed from video)

As I see it, Ciri loves heels and because she is Kaer Morhen trained, that's not a problem for her. How much simpler can it be?

This game is full of nonsense anyways, if you want to put it like that.
Yep, but with reasonable reasons :)
you can't swim across the ocean with full armor and swords on
But here you can, for a gameplay reason.

you can't drink healing potions during a sword fight
But here you can, for a gameplay reason.

you can't fight like a maniac without your towel dropping off
But here you can, for a technical reason.

why doesn't their hair get flat when it rains
They do get flat with Hairworks, but again it's for a technical reason.

High heels? Can't see a reason apart for the aesthetic, having a simple boot instead of high heels doesn't change anything. Instead having the hair flat when it rains or the towel dropping off can comprehend other factors. Like applying some sort of physic to them, just to make an example.

While watching this, remember that Ciri is Kaer Morhen trained ;) "I'm a woman, I love wearing heels" (borrowed from video)
Nice to see that it's possible tho :)

Last edited:
I give up :D I just want to enjoy this game with or without those damn heels :D

As long as Geralt doesn't wear pink ballerina dress, I'm happy.

Changed my mind... I think CDPR can make even that dress work.

Last edited:
Women in real life wears mini skirts, tight tops and open necklines all the time, but seeing that in a video game is a major problem and sexist?

Yes they do, but usually during the times when they're not fighting monsters, climbing mountains or going through the mud and dirt.

I can understand such design for the sorcersses (somehow) - they want to be fancy and whatnot all the time. But Ciri? A witcher and a warrior?

Look at this. It's freakin perfect

Or this

Her earlier designs were soooo much better than her current version.

Last edited:
Yes they do, but usually during the times when they're not fighting monsters, climbing mountains or going through the mud and dirt.

I can understand such design for the sorcersses (somehow) - they want to be fancy and whatnot all the time. But Ciri? A witcher and a warrior?

Well Ciri is in part sorceress and royalty. I see nothing wrong she keeps traits from those groups.

Its perfect for what? For been in the front-line of a battle ground as a part of an army, sure. Full armor for been on the run or hanging out with an elven sage? I don't see it.

Or this

That's a little better. Better than the other image. Still I prefer the outfits from the game.

Last edited:
Well Ciri is in part sorcerers and royalty. I see nothing wrong she keeps traits of those groups.

She was always more of a boyish warrior than an elegant and "girly" lady.
Its perfect for what?

It's perfect for fighting, which Ciri does a lot, yes. An armour which actually covers her whole body and protects it instead of some loose shirt or whatever which does nothing. Or even better, exposes her stomach (because why would anyone need to cover their stomach during a battle?) - which is the case for her DLC outfit.

Geralt is not fighting 24/7 either, but it doesn't prevent him from wearing an armour almost all the time (I'm not counting the times when he's sleeping etc).

No thanks. Apart from being something that Ciri would never wear, there are already enough ugly ass armors for Geralt.

---------- Updated at 04:35 PM ----------

S
Geralt is not fighting 24/7 either, but it doesn't prevent him from wearing an armour almost all the time (I'm not counting the times when he's sleeping etc).

Yeah, ehm...that is not lore friendly, cause Geralt doesn't wear any armor in the books.

cause Geralt doesn't wear any armor in the books.

Well, given the ending of the books it's safe to say that he learned from this mistake...

Anyway, we're not speaking about books here. But games and the differences between portrayal of men and women in them. Geralt can wear an armour, so why can't Ciri? They're both witchers. Both need it just the same.

She was always more of a boyish warrior than an elegant and "girly" lady.

In its attitude, sure. In its dressing I don't think so. IMO she feels just at home with the flamboyant dressing style of "The Rats".

It's perfect for fighting, which Ciri does a lot, yes. An armour which actually covers her whole body and protects it instead of some loose shirt or whatever which does nothing. Or even better, exposes her stomach (because why would anyone need to cover their stomach during a battle?) - which is the case for her DLC outfit.

Ciri did fight a lot without any armor were she where with the Rats.
Geralt fight with monsters for living. Ciri only does that in this game accidentally, she is not hunting for living.

So, I think Geralt has a reason to use armor and Ciri doesn't.

Last edited:
No thanks. Apart from being something that Ciri would never wear, there are already enough ugly ass armors for Geralt.
True, there are many ugly ass armors for Geralt but that doesn't seem to be bad apart from being a bit armored with plate and chainmails.

Yeah, ehm...that is not lore friendly, cause Geralt doesn't wear any armor in the books.
If we really want to nitpick, Geralt doesn't even carry two swords at the same time on the back so... staph :p

If the argument against Ciri's shoes is "they're impractical", then why have I never seen any argument against this?
It's just as impractical for a witcher.

Wearing armour is fine, but there are limits, given the witcher fighting styles. And poor Roach would be exhausted carrying all that around, especially with a full set of horse armour to match.

True, there are many ugly ass armors for Geralt but that doesn't seem to be bad apart from being a bit armored with plate and chainmails.

Everything looks sweet in an artwork.

If we really want to nitpick, Geralt doesn't even carry two swords at the same time on the back so... staph :p

That's different. There's a gameplay reason for the two swords. But there's no gameplay reason for a damn cuirass.

*Gets more popcorn and cider*

This is getting interesting... I always thought that one big + in games and fiction was, that you can do things that aren't possible (or practical) in real life. Oh boy, I was so wrong... CDPR should make Sims next!

Last edited:
This is a fantasy saga deeply grounded in reality and that's why i play it. We already have Dragon Age for high fantasy stuff with big disproportionate sword and epic armors.

Just look at the guards :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom