Possession: was it ever possible (before patches came out) to refuse to trick the Hym?

+
Possession: was it ever possible (before patches came out) to refuse to trick the Hym?

Several walkthroughs, among which this one suggest you can try the 'witcher's way' without trying to trick the Hym first. Whatever dialogue options I choose, though, Geralt always agrees to try the 'trick' first.

Was it actually possible to completely skip the trickery and simply try the witcher's way at any point, perhaps before the first patches came out? Or am I merely overlooking something and is there still some way to avoid the whole baby-and-oven scene?

Many thanks in advance!

Ah, I have done it without baby part but can't remember how it was started. I entered the cabin and ignited some torches there, no talking about the baby.

Did you have to avoid whole tricking part form the start? Did you have to tell Cerys in front of that cabin that you don't trust her (or something like that)? If you tell her that you trust her, then here comes the oven. Too much time has passed since I did this, but it was possible.

If I remember correctly, you have to decide whether you trust Cerys (and attempt the trickery) or not. That decision leads up to tricking or fighting the Hym.

I first did it over a year ago (about a 3 weeks after the game came out) and it was possible to do both ways. That said the game was patched twice by then so I can't say if the vanilla unpatched game allowed it. If not it was probably a bug and hence fixed in a patch.

The first conversation with Cerys about how to defeat the Hym seems to always lead to the "trick" method, but later at the abandoned house there is a final dialogue before starting that, where you can say to Cerys either that "I trust you" or "No way". The former continues with the trick, while with the latter you refuse to do that and choose the witcher method instead. Not sure if it was any different in older versions of the game (where I chose the trick myself), but I think the first conversation (planning) is only about discussing both methods, rather than actually making a decision.

The first conversation with Cerys about how to defeat the Hym seems to always lead to the "trick" method, but later at the abandoned house there is a final dialogue before starting that, where you can say to Cerys either that "I trust you" or "No way". The former continues with the trick, while with the latter you refuse to do that and choose the witcher method instead. Not sure if it was any different in older versions of the game (where I chose the trick myself), but I think the first conversation (planning) is only about discussing both methods, rather than actually making a decision.

Ah, thanks, I'll try that! I really dislike the whole 'baby' route, as (1) the idea that the Hym will be tricked this way is rather far-fetched (as Geralt knows in advance Cerys is going to try and make him feel guilty about something) and (2) you have to kill the guards after shoving the baby in the oven, as without you doing so the narrative won't progress.

Pretty sure it's a "killing" like the "killing of the main antagonist during Hattori's quest". After the fight near his warehouse, and while I was chatting with Sulkrus and his brother-in-law, Mr. Van Horn sat up and said: "where is the drakkar that hit me?"

He lived.

I hate that you have to "kill" one of them and hurt another though as well. Same during Carnal Sins.

Yes, some of the deaths in this game are rather unnecessary.

sv3672's solution worked, though, so the Jarl's guards are all still alive. :)

Top Bottom