Possible game update for PnP?

+
Cyberpunk characters need to be flawed creatures full of the sins of mankind, capable of solving the situation in a manner but never worthy enough to be one to inherit a better world, he will though try.

Nicely put. Games like Spec Ops the Line give us flawed characters, but they are pretty rare in game fiction. Sometimes games such as Bloodlines or KotOR offer "evil" options, but they always offer "good" options, too.

I'd like to see neither good nor evil, but inevitably flawed.

Hopefully any update will keep the very grey morality of CP2020 and even make it grayer - i.e. stop with the anti-drugs bias.

I kinda reject the idea that you can't be self sacrificing and heroic in Cyberpunk.... hell in the cyberpunk atmosphere, that can be seen as a flaw in and of itself. That is to say, I want the choice of my characters morality personality left up to me, but I also want it to have impact.

I know this isn;t really arguing with you, but after living through comics and RPG's in the 90's, I am really tired of "To be a great character you have to have dirty secrets and be a douchebag" shtick.

Flaws can be great, but they have to be handled right.... more Warren Ellis and Garth Ennis, less Mark Millar or Frank Miller.

Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis - two excellent choices. I do like Frank Miller a fair bit, as well as Alan Moore. Moore is my favourite, in fact.

I'm all for self-sacrificing and heroic in Cyberpunk..preferably while you are in front of my character. How useful of you.

No, my point was more that I prefer gray-area decision and morality - few situations are so clear cut as to allow heroic choices. This isn't douchebaggery, of course, but mere survival and life.

That said, you might recall an important facet of cyberpunk for me is the 'punk part - fighting against the powers that be and trying, once in a while, to do some good. Otherwise you're just another corporate scumbag sell-out, like the vermin that took your Dad's whole business away and left him to chew on his C-13 while you watched from upstairs.

Fuck them.

Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis - two excellent choices. I do like Frank Miller a fair bit, as well as Alan Moore. Moore is my favourite, in fact.

I'm all for self-sacrificing and heroic in Cyberpunk..preferably while you are in front of my character. How useful of you.

No, my point was more that I prefer gray-area decision and morality - few situations are so clear cut as to allow heroic choices. This isn't douchebaggery, of course, but mere survival and life.

That said, you might recall an important facet of cyberpunk for me is the 'punk part - fighting against the powers that be and trying, once in a while, to do some good. Otherwise you're just another corporate scumbag sell-out, like the vermin that took your Dad's whole business away and left him to chew on his C-13 while you watched from upstairs.

Fuck them.

True enough....

I do love Alan Moore. Though my taste i also a bit strange sometimes. People never believe me whenever I say who is my fav char in V Vendetta xD

Will there be a 2077 P&P release as well?

Title says it all. I'm sure if there was, it wouldn't be released until 2015 with the video game, so it doesn't affect my current plans. Just curious.

I too do wish all the guys at Talsorian cash in with this and give us a new fresh version of Cyberpunk 2020, with a whole line of books; core books, Chromebooks, everything.

It just has to be what Pathfinder is to D&D and not what D&D 4th edition is. As an aside, I can't thank the guys at Paizo enough for saving Dungeons & Dragons, even if they did rename it, since Wizards completely dropped the ball and F:d up D&D with the 4th edition (not to mention screwed millions of people who had just bought a fresh set of 3.5 set of books.) Then again, you only have to look at MtG to see what Wizards does to games.

Anyways, I hope they give us a Cyberpunk 2077 PnP line of products. Thick, hardcover books with expensive paper and amazing illustrations, please. Price isn't an issue. :cool:

I personally have gotten to the point where I don't need a big stack of supplements to run a game (in fact, I'd prefer not to have something like that). Just give me a nicely laid out core book, make sure the rules work properly, and everything is organized in a logical fashion. A proper index is always nice. Hardcover or paperback doesn't matter much to me, nor does full-color or B&W on the interior, as long as the artwork is evocative of the setting.

But yes, I am also eagerly awaiting a new edition.

-- Ben

I still play 3.5 and only just started dabbling with Pathfinder. Most things I like, some I don't. 3.5 just has a lot more options because of the amount of books and dragon magazine resources. They did start to break 3.5 with their last couple of book releases before moving on the 4e which I've never played (because of rep). 5e is looking promising though.

I have a thread here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23253 that is discussing design plans for a VTT tool for Cyberpunk 2020.

yeah, that link says there's a new book coming out. but i'll go ahead and be the asshole who points out r.talsorian kept us waiting 9 YEARS after announcing the last edition of cyberpunk, which wound up being a steaming pile of dosa. so yeah, there's an article that says we're getting a new book... just don't hold your breath ;)

yes, they'd be foolish not to release a book at the same time as the game... then again, blown deadlines are kind of a mike pondsmith specialty

I know I might be in the minority here, but I actually like 4E much better than 3 / 3.5. The combat is so much more interesting. Before it really was just about finding ways to stack bonuses so that you could get big numbers when you threw the dice, strategy was really pretty meaningless. The way the powers work in 4E makes it so that it isn't purely a numbers game, and you can have characters that are highly combat effective in completely different ways. There is much more meaning behind the idea of making a combatant who is "fast and agile" vs. heavily armored and armored, other than simply having your bonuses in +hit instead of +damage.

Anyway, all that aside... I would love to see a new CP edition. I love 2020, of course, but I have a feeling that after I play this game I am going to want to play it out on the tabletop ;)

If CDPR is planning to use an updated version of the rules to design the video game (as stated in the Polygon interview), they kind of have to do that right frigging now, as in first half of 2013. Rules design and writing comes right at the beginning of massive projects like this.

I know I might be in the minority here, but I actually like 4E much better than 3 / 3.5.

I do know this is a bit off-topic here, but it had to be said...

There's nothing wrong in liking the 4E, but if you like those rules, and not really the rules that came before (or Pathfinder for that matter), then you don't really like Dungeons & Dragons. You like some other game, some monster Wizards created in their greed for more wealth. Oh, and they're about to "update" 4E to 5E in just a short while, again.

Just take a look at the time it has taken them to update D&D rulesets. Not exactly long periods of time. Now, when you figure in that each ruleset comes with it's own cool 27000 piece book line, guess why they're doing it.

It sure as hell isn't for the love of D&D. Why do you think all the people who actually created D&D have left?

Also, look at MTG... A new card set about every month, and each new set kind of screwing up peoples' existing decks. Meaning what? Meaning they'll have to dish out more and more money.

Wizards of the Coast? Wizards of the Greed.

Hello all. I am excited about CP2077. Have high hopes for the game computer and rp. Hopefully this will bring new players. New players in Dallas Tx would be great. My group now uses a modified version of Interlock. My complaint is that when the other's GM they do not use the world. We switch off running games. Right now I am running a game set in the aftermath of Dollhouse. A buddy is running a zombie game.

Anyone in Dallas looking for a player?

I remember that anyone could use the net. Netrunners were hackers. They had access to "the menue." that allowed them to do the hacking thing. We allow multiple SAs. The way I have things set up now the first SA has an IP modifier of 1. The second and 3rd have an IP modifier of 2. The 4th, 5th, and 6th have a modifier of 3. You can learn new SAs as you go. You can place the new SA wherever you want on the list. You can shift SAs down but never bring them back up to a lesser IP mod.

I will list some of the changes we made. If a character wants a 9 or 10 in a stat or skill they have to pay extra points. A 9 costs 10 points. A 10 costs 13 points. We split up some of the stats, mostly trying to dilute the impact of a high Ref. Added advantages and disadvantages. Expanded the lifepath. Other types of ware.

Top Bottom