Possible LOD fix ?

+

Batak

Forum regular
Hello,

We are all aware of LOD/draw distance issues within this game, so I tried to dig a bit deeper besides the usual .ini tweaks floating around forums. Please note that I'm not a modder, but I tried to find anything related to LOD setting for this game.

So, using cp77tools first and then WolvenKit and I managed to extract "basegame_1_engine.archive" from "Cyberpunk 2077\archive\pc\content", trying to find anything related to LOD config.
After extraction, I found the following folder, and file "basegame_1_engine\engine\systems\visual_controller_lod_distances.json ".

visual controler.png

Now, this file is .json, and only 2 kb in size, trying to open with notepad is no go, so I used WolvenKit for a more advanced look inside.

lod test1.png

As you can see, it seems to be somewhat related to configurations, as platforms appear.
Then I tried to see the values inside:

lodtest 1.3 vallues.png

Now, we can see 3 presets, 0-1-2, I assume for in-game values ( Low-Medium-High ) LOD.
I tried to manually increase these values, for preset 2 ( high?) then packed the project and saved the mod.
Unfortunately, when launching the game, no difference was noted to LOD distances, when driving around town. Max settings applied, SSD used for game files.
I don't know if actually this file could affect LOD tweak, or if Wolvenkit mod was working properly.

If there are any more experienced modders out there willing to help with this quest would be great. Maybe someone could dig deeper into game archives and find a solution.

These are my findings so far,
Thank you

Last edited:
That's certainly interesting, thanks! :)
It's a pity you didn't notice any difference when changing the values. One approach could be to unpack the release version of the game and cross-reference the LOD values with the ones from 1.31. Then, we would know for sure.

visual_controller_lod_distances.json
3 sets of values, seem to match LOW / MEDIUM / HIGH LOD setting in game. I tested setting all parameters for 1st set to minimal values (0, 1, 2, 3 - i guess those are threshold distances in meters) and this is what i saw on LOW:
LOD_tweak.png

Similarly cranking all values up (40,50,100,150) on 3rd set gave full detail as far as cars would render and tanked my FPS when using HIGH preset. So the file definitely can be used by anyone wanting better fidelity. Doesn't work on everything though. What i noticed change was Cars, NPCs and trees and some prop geometry. Most illuminated objects or distant buildings didn't seem to change. Not sure about this, but i suspect the High test also overwhelmed my 1660 6Gb causing pop-in - while visible objects were HI-def, i'd see objects load in when doing 180 that probably couldn't be pre-chanced until i looked at them. Someone should test this on a higher end system with plenty of free VRAM.

In the meanwhile i'll probably experiment more with this to find myself some optimal settings and hopefully find what other files are there influencing things like lighting.

Top Bottom