Possible Serbian translation of the Witcher books

+
Possible Serbian translation of the Witcher books

I must admit I am not overly keen on reading the English translation of the books, mostly due to numerous issues that tend to crop up in English translations of Slavic languages. However, Slavic-toSlavic translations tend to be ok for the most part and so...I had this idea going for quite a while now but only today did I manage to talk it out with one of the finer book publishers here in Belgrade. Basically, they would be very interested in buying the rights and publishing the books, but I was asked if I could provide some aditional information first. So, the first thing would be to get a link to the official Sapkowski site, or his publishers or whoever else we would need to contact first in order to get this project started. If the site(s) happen to be in English (or have an English version), it would be a welcome bonus for neither I nor the potential publishers speak Pollish. WHich brings me to the next, and more important thing:If there's something I loathe profoundly, it's bad translations and currently, we are swapmed with those here. I'd rather cut my own throat then be responsible, in any way, for yet another one of those attrocities. To that end, I already contacted two people who might be willing/capable of translating the books properly. Neither of the two feels *really* up to the task, however, though they didclaim they'd be itnerested in being involved in the project. I've yet to contact few otehr potential candidates, but also, I would like to know if there are any Pollish translators who might be willing to give a helping hand here (provided they speak Serbian, of course). The thing is, for a proper translation to be done, one must not only know the language one is translating *from* but - and I can't stress this enough !- one must also be very versed in the language one is translating *to*. Now, I know that for the game, both Pollish and English team worked on the translation and adaptation, and it worked very well. I thought something similar might be done for the books themselves now.So, bottom line, I'm willing to invest my time and energy to provide the publisher with proper contacts and, if at all possible, find a good translator(s) for the books. Any little tidbit of helpful information any of you might have will be greatly appreciated, be it contacts, advice or otherwise. Thanks in advance. ;)

www.sapkowski.pl/It is said to be official site of Sapkowski, but not much sure if he's even cooperating with those guys. Morover, its sad its only in polish right now (russian version doesnt work). So it probably wont help you much anyway.

I think the first step is buy the rights to print a Serbian edition from Mr Sapkowski, and this can only be done by contacting him directly. As for translators, inquire at the local Polish embassy or their cultural/literary society.

Yeah, I thought contacting Sapkowski might turn into a bit of a problem. The site (thanks for the link!) is not sometihing I can read (though I believe I can find someone who can if a need be). I was kinda hoping one of the Polish natives on the forums here might be willing to help out a bit in that department. Or, if someone knows a more.. ehm.. "sure" way to contact Mr Sapkowski regarding the bying of rights?As for translators, I have a few penned down as possible candidates. The problem is, with this kind of literature, it is best if the translators themselves are interested in the genre, even better if they are already familiar with the books in question. So far, I drew a blank when it comes to that, but I will be checking the Polish department on our University of Philology during next week and see what I can come up with there. What I would very much love to know is are there any Serbian speaking Poles out there who might be willing to give whoever ends up translating the books a helping hand should the translator get stuck at some points - an occurance common enough when translating books, and more likely to happen if the translator sin't all that familiar with the setting/characters/etc. So, if any of you know anyone, or could find anyone... much obliged.

She-Wolf said:
Or, if someone knows a more.. ehm.. "sure" way to contact Mr Sapkowski regarding the buying of rights?
Well, I happen to know Mr. Sapkowski's private e-mail address but I'm not allowed to share it, sorry. Not to worry though: I recommend contacting Ms. Marzena Kłos from SuperNowa - she should be able to tell you what to do. If you want her e-mail address, send me a PM.

Top Bottom