Possible solution to long freeze with dual thread CPU

+
Possible solution to long freeze with dual thread CPU

I beg your pardon if I continue to pester with the long freeze that dual thread cpu users experience after patch 1.07; it is under the minimum requirement of 4 threads, I know, but if we can find a way to make the game work AS IT IS NOW I think that everyone would benefit.

Back on topic, I think I found something that helps a lot; it not solve the problem completely, but I went from 3-4 stutters of 4-6 seconds every minute to just a couple in an hour. It looks too good to be true, so I opened this topic to ask people with the same problem to try this solution, to understand if it really works or it is something else (I tried a lot of things, driver settings, user.settings, io_priority_table.xml, sandoboxes, cpu affinity, cpu priority, etc...).

For starter go for BES, see the second post. You must start it after the game, select the game exe, and limit it. On the first run probably you must setting how much to limit, between -1% and -10% should be enough (default is around -33%, too much for weaker cpu). If you limit it too much you will have a frame drop or sound stuttering, but it should prevent the freeze.

Process Tamer is a bit more complicated to setup but with it you can limit both cpu% and priority, plus it remember the setting and start with windows, you should be able to set up once and for all. If the cpu use goes too high, it will tone it down, so if witcher3.exe try to use too much cycles it will be restraint to a threshold defined by the user. I set mine to 90% and witcher3.exe to "Force Normal". This way the program cannot waste resource and use all his power to effectively do something, not to switch context. In theory.

Try it and tell me how it works. Since there are many things that can cause stutter this could be enough to enjoy the game, or not.

As a last test I started a new game and played the intro. The worst that happened was the framerate dropping to 45, with maxed settings and all effect, with a 60€cpu. I have hope this solution could work.
:faith:

Some Process Tamer Settings

Last edited:
It remove all freezes with my Intel e8400 dual core. but now I get very slow sound in game))

---------- Updated at 06:52 PM ----------

It remove all freezes with my Intel e8400 dual core. but now I get very slow sound in game))

Process tamer, BES or both? How you configured them? Maybe you reduced the cpu use too much, Bes can have a -33% default value, you need only -1% or -2%, check that for starters.

The e8400 is quite slow, you need to use it as much as possible and maybe scaling down something.

The BES solution worked perfectly for my E8400@3600GHz.
Now I can finally continue to play the game, as under patch 1.03.
And here I was already thinking I may have to start gathering money for a new CPU, Mobo and RAM before I can continue playing that damn game.
The developers really dropped the ball with patch 1.07!

Anyway, thank you very much, KeeperOfTheLag!

The developers really dropped the ball with patch 1.07!
I don't think it was intentional. The game is playable but far from completely debugged and balanced. As often happen fixing something break something else, and since dual threaded cpu owner like us are a minority the priority go elsewhere.
The requirement stated 4 threaded cpu from the beginning, and maybe that don't even depends directly on CDRP but on some of the tools they use.

Still, the game ran pretty well on release. The "patches" destroyed its compatibility with dual thread machines.
As well as a few other things, as I understand.

Very Big THANKS @KeeperOfTheLag. I've been playing on patch 1.06 because of my sloooow dual core processor(E2180) and didn't find any solution on polish forum.
Today I checked on english one and voila! My Witcher 3 runs like before with BES on -3%. Once more thanks for advice.

Thank you so much man !!! I basiclly tried everything but BES solved my problem. I can't believe CD Projekt made such a mistake . If i am not a fan of Geralt and CD Projekt , i would give up the game dozens of times so far.
I have Core 2 Duo 3,00 ghz E8400 , 4 GB DDR 2 ram , 2 gb 660 Tİ ; made 512 at gc file
I am playing with these setting ,
HBO+ on , Depth of field on , Light shafts on , Sharpening Low , Blur effects off
Hairworks Only Geralt and low ,
Foliage low , Shadows and grass Medium, Everything else high,
I am playing 25-40 Fps. (V-Sync on at Nvidia panel)

Unbelieveable! I've got so much headache fixing these long freezes, but nothing worked. Finally tried your fix and freezes are gone! The game is smooth as butter – at least in a location where i've observed really heavy stuttering, so i think other locations will be ok too. Thank you man, you've saved me 150 bucks, because i was convinced the only cure is i5.

EDIT: if somebody is curious, i set BES to -3 %. My PC is pentium g3420, 8 gb ram, gtx750ti OC, latest drivers (355.82), everything set to medium except water (high) and textures (ultra) + SSAO + all postprocesing. In nvidia control panel i set Threaded optimization to ON, V-sync to adaptive (half refresh rate) and Maximum prerendered frames to 1. Cheers.

Last edited:
After a long time I brought my Witcher 3 back to life with BES, thank you very much KeeperOfTheLag! I set mine to -3% (Core2Duo E7400 OC 3,3, 4GB DDR2, HD7770).

Thank you very much for sharing this fix with us, KeeperOfTheLag, and many thanks to everyone in this thread who confirmed that it made a positive difference to their games. The BES "-3%" fix is now officially part of the compendium of tweaks and fixes (section #3)! :cheers2:

@KeeperOfTheLag

Thanks for the solution it helped a lot. I'm not sure what CDP Red @Marcin Momot did with patch 1.07 + but I hope they fix this in the upcoming patches, I was really schocked that it suddenly freezed every 5 seconds.

I'm not sure if I have the wrong settings in BES but sometimes the sound/music stutters, I guess I have to check different % values.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, kind man! These freezes were the only one thing which I didn't like in this great game. Thanks from me and from my 12 yo daughter (she is found of this game too) :)

Nice! Seems like there is a massive optimization issue for threading. Has anyone been playing long enough to see if there are any long-term consequences for this fix?

Also, have you sent this in CDPR Support. If there is a bug, sounds like this could help them track it down.

So after updating the game to the current version (downloading the latest version) 1.31, I checked to see if anything has changed and to my surprise not only does the game runs much better but it also looks better (even on low). I didn't even need to use this fix, so major props at CDP Red for fixing and improving the game (even for very low end pc specs).

ps. man the forum has changed quite a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom