Post Game Content & Wall-Running

+

Do you want wall-running as a post-game perk?

• No, I have no interest in wall-running.

• Yes, I want to be able to wall-run after the story is completed.

Results are only viewable after voting.
While wall-running has been removed from the game due to level-design reasons, I had a thought of including it in the game in some capacity as a way to enhance post game content after finishing the story. Maybe this could be a perk that is only unlockable after completing the story content in the game. For instance, defeating the final boss and acquiring the immortality chip or whatever could unlock a secret location beyond de blackwall where you could learn the wall-running perk.

It would probably fit better story-wise if wall-running is unlockable after the main story quest line is completed, but there are some considerations here that may make it better for this to only be unlocked only after all main quest and side quest content is complete. For example, making it unlockable right after the main quest line is done may cause players to bee-line the main quests in order to get the wall-running perk asap. This may not be ideal, especially with the current level design and how some of the journalists who've played the demos reported that enemies way above your level are unkillable. Also, bee-lining the main story before some side-quests may permanently lock the latter from being completed (although it has been reported that there is a warning that pops up before starting a mission that will do this). Additionally, there may be some side missions that become trivial with a wall-running perk due to level design. Therefore, it may be better to only unlock post game content like this after all side missions are complete as well. Lore-wise this may be not ideal, because there is no way of knowing which of the missions the player will complete last. The game would basically have to check if the player has completed everything, and if so, have a cutscene or something to let the player know that a perk or secret location has been unlocked. I don't know if there is a lore-friendly way of going about this, but this would remove the need for balancing this perk.

Another consideration is that wall-running shouldn't be allowed because the devs chose to cut this perk due to difficulties in overall world design. Maybe they didn't want to have to test every wall in the game to make sure that it wall-runnable, or have collisions enabled on even tall buildings, such as the skyscrapers downtown. We don't know the technical limitations, but if wall-running was feasible everywhere and only cut because it made some levels too easy, then it would be great to add that in as post game content after those levels have been completed.

This is just one idea. Are there any other ideas you have for post game content?

While wall-running has been removed from the game due to level-design reasons, I had a thought of including it in the game in some capacity as a way to enhance post game content after finishing the story. Maybe this could be a perk that is only unlockable after completing the story content in the game. For instance, defeating the final boss and acquiring the immortality chip or whatever could unlock a secret location beyond de blackwall where you could learn the wall-running perk.

It would probably fit better story-wise if wall-running is unlockable after the main story quest line is completed, but there are some considerations here that may make it better for this to only be unlocked only after all main quest and side quest content is complete. For example, making it unlockable right after the main quest line is done may cause players to bee-line the main quests in order to get the wall-running perk asap. This may not be ideal, especially with the current level design and how some of the journalists who've played the demos reported that enemies way above your level are unkillable. Also, bee-lining the main story before some side-quests may permanently lock the latter from being completed (although it has been reported that there is a warning that pops up before starting a mission that will do this). Additionally, there may be some side missions that become trivial with a wall-running perk due to level design. Therefore, it may be better to only unlock post game content like this after all side missions are complete as well. Lore-wise this may be not ideal, because there is no way of knowing which of the missions the player will complete last. The game would basically have to check if the player has completed everything, and if so, have a cutscene or something to let the player know that a perk or secret location has been unlocked. I don't know if there is a lore-friendly way of going about this, but this would remove the need for balancing this perk.

Another consideration is that wall-running shouldn't be allowed because the devs chose to cut this perk due to difficulties in overall world design. Maybe they didn't want to have to test every wall in the game to make sure that it wall-runnable, or have collisions enabled on even tall buildings, such as the skyscrapers downtown. We don't know the technical limitations, but if wall-running was feasible everywhere and only cut because it made some levels too easy, then it would be great to add that in as post game content after those levels have been completed.

This is just one idea. Are there any other ideas you have for post game content?

Wall running is kind of interesting, but it is difficult to know 100% for sure if CDPR means wall running like a super hero, or wall running like for a few seconds like an athletic character doing a dangerous stunt. I'm not sure what they mean, not 100% anyway.

I honestly hope that a subway and monorail system (trains), wall running (doesn't have to be too fancy), car customization, more in-depth adult content, and a variety of other things get added back into the game later as DLC, or are made possible by modding support that is so so good, that it is better than skyrim and minecraft combined in terms of the size and the quality of the modding community. I hope adding mods to the game is as easy as moving the mod files to the "/mods" folder and it "just works" automatically. I hope that the mods are hosted on websites where it is not required to log in to access the mods (nexus and steam makes me really upset because of this because I will only ever use gog) If the modding support can be not good, but AMAZING, then I guess we do not have to worry very much since the popularity of Cyberpunk2077 will create an modding community the size of which will be unparalleled. :D

I do hope so much in my heart that CDPR will make the modding not just possible, but EXCELLENT.

I could rest a little bit more easy if I knew this was the case.

Wall running is kind of interesting, but it is difficult to know 100% for sure if CDPR means wall running like a super hero, or wall running like for a few seconds like an athletic character doing a dangerous stunt. I'm not sure what they mean, not 100% anyway.

My interpretation of wall-running is based off of the E3 2018 demo, where V uses the mantis blades to hang off the wall and move laterally. Recently, a dev confirmed that "wall-running" is no longer in the game. It's not totally clear that he was referring to the mantis blade clip in that footage, but if not, then I have no idea what else that person was asking about.

I completely agree with the modding support btw. I hope CDPR gives us the tools to create a large modding community to extend the game. I'm kind of surprised at how many people on these forums aren't interested in creative movement options though. It makes me think that maybe this community isn't going to be big on modding.

The way the poll is make is terribly...extremist ?
Like you either choose "no care at all" or "care, but only after end game".
Weird.

The "care" option is there, but with the caveat that you care enough about it for its inclusion given that we can only access it after the end game. My bad, maybe I could've worded it better.

I would like to add a more generic option "Yes, I want to see it in the game", but it has already been confirmed by CDPR that this feature has been cut due to what I assume is level design issues. So, I thought its inclusion wouldn't be productive, as it's a moot point. By adding it, people who vote on it would basically be begging CDPR to reverse their decision.

Last edited:
The "care" option is there, but with the caveat that you care enough about it for its inclusion given that we can only access it after the end game. My bad, maybe I could've worded it better.

I would like to add a more generic option "Yes, I want to see it in the game", but it has already been confirmed by CDPR that this feature has been cut due to what I assume is level design issues. So, I thought it would be pointless to include an option that CDPR explicitly confirmed won't be an option in the game.

Thing is I think: I do care, but not if it's only after the end of the game.

Thing is I think: I do care, but not if it's only after the end of the game.

Ok, yeah I probably should've included that option.

I understand that some people don't care about post end game content at all, so that could also influence the results of the poll (not saying that you're one of these people, it's just an observation).

So basically the two hypothetical possibilities are:
1. They take time to flesh out the feature but decide to only unlock it after completing the main quest because of "design limitations" (even though they would have taken the time to implement it and fix it up)
2. We get something half-assed because it's a feature they didn't bother to polish bvecause it was scrapped.

Option 1 doesn't make sense.
Option 2 sounds like asking for a buggy experience.

If wallrunning were to make a return somehow I'd rather it come back as a DLC/patch. Although to be fair if it were included with paid DLC then it wouldn't look too good for CDPR.

So basically the two hypothetical possibilities are:
1. They take time to flesh out the feature but decide to only unlock it after completing the main quest because of "design limitations" (even though they would have taken the time to implement it and fix it up)
2. We get something half-assed because it's a feature they didn't bother to polish bvecause it was scrapped.

Option 1 doesn't make sense.
Option 2 sounds like asking for a buggy experience.

If wallrunning were to make a return somehow I'd rather it come back as a DLC/patch. Although to be fair if it were included with paid DLC then it wouldn't look too good for CDPR.

I disagree that option 1 doesn't make sense. In software development, people are usually modularized in the development of different areas of any large AAA game. In this case, world building and level designing would be done by a different set of developers than ones adding gameplay elements such as mantis blades. Thus, it's possible that wall-running with mantis blades was fully implemented, but later scrapped due to the complications it caused in balancing the world building and level design teams. Maybe the latter decided it would require too much time to redesign each area to account for that ability. If this is the case though, it should be fine to add the ability to post end game content since this would not affect the quest/level design.

I disagree that option 1 doesn't make sense. In software development, people are usually modularized in the development of different areas of any large AAA game. In this case, world building and level designing would be done by a different set of developers than ones adding gameplay elements such as mantis blades. Thus, it's possible that wall-running with mantis blades was fully implemented, but later scrapped due to the complications it caused in balancing the world building and level design teams. Maybe the latter decided it would require too much time to redesign each area to account for that ability. If this is the case though, it should be fine to add the ability to post end game content since this would not affect the quest/level design.

Actually I would have preferred that some characters may be able to try shortcuts in the story, Fallout style.

But in that case it would still break sidequests unless you really do indeed force the player to complete everything before unlocking it which is a ridiculous requirement.

Regardless of the option you pick something would feel half-assed:
-it would be robust but would break sidequests if given after the main quest
-or you wouldn't be able to access it until you complete everything which feels even more artificial

And in the second case: what about post launch expansions, they automagically lock you out of the feature once you install the expansion in order to not break them? Such implementations of post-game wallrunning sound ridiculous.

I think people need to come to terms with the fact that we're not getting it and move on.

But in that case it would still break sidequests unless you really do indeed force the player to complete everything before unlocking it which is a ridiculous requirement.

Regardless of the option you pick something would feel half-assed:
-it would be robust but would break sidequests if given after the main quest
-or you wouldn't be able to access it until you complete everything which feels even more artificial

And in the second case: what about post launch expansions, they automagically lock you out of the feature once you install the expansion in order to not break them? Such implementations of post-game wallrunning sound ridiculous.

I think people need to come to terms with the fact that we're not getting it and move on.

I actually agree with you that the second case would feel artificial, and it would be difficult to fit in to the story. I still think it would be nice to have though, even if just for hooks for modding or messing around with god mode after the story ends. It seems like the majority of people on this forum don't want this, so I guess it's not a popular opinion.

For post-launch expansions, they could add quests designed with this skill in mind. Now, this doesn't mean that you need to have this skill to complete the dlc missions, but that the missions are not broken by wall-running. Therefore, it's really not a problem at all for future expansions unless CDPR is unable to design missions for those expansions around this skill. I think CDPR would easily be able to do this if level designing from scratch if they do it with this skill in mind though.

It's a no for me. I see no reason to add it as an only post main quest mechanic. Either have it as part of the regular ability system, or not at all.

For post-launch expansions, they could add quests designed with this skill in mind. Now, this doesn't mean that you need to have this skill to complete the dlc missions, but that the missions are not broken by wall-running. Therefore, it's really not a problem at all for future expansions unless CDPR is unable to design missions for those expansions around this skill. I think CDPR would easily be able to do this if level designing from scratch if they do it with this skill in mind though.
I'd agree with you if the DLC areas were self contained but look at something like Hearts of Stone, a lot of it takes place in the area around Novigrad and in Velen.

Not to mention that it would be kinda weird to enter a DLC area, be able to do all this cool stuff with wallrunning and then when you exit you can't do that anymore. It would feel jarring and aribtrary. It would be like the mutations feature disabling itself if you step out of Toussaint and go back to the other areas in the base game

Not to mention that it would be kinda weird to enter a DLC area, be able to do all this cool stuff with wallrunning and then when you exit you can't do that anymore. It would feel jarring and aribtrary. It would be like the mutations feature disabling itself if you step out of Toussaint and go back to the other areas in the base game

I think you misunderstand. In the scenario I described, entering a DLC area wouldn't automatically unlock a skill. I was saying that they could design the entire DLC in such a way that the skill is not necessary, but if you do have the skill, it would not break the area because CDPR would have designed it from scratch with wall-running in mind.

As far as reusing areas for DLC, I think it would be easy to modify those specific areas to support new skills added to the game. Or they could find existing areas that are already inaccessible via wall-running for instance, and put DLC content there.

Or maybe they could save the wall-running perk for the the future release of multiplayer content. We can have something like a low-gravity arena where everyone is shooting and running on walls and ceilings like crazy :D

It's possible but unlikely. Usually these things are cut because of technical limitations, breaking the gameplay in horrible ways, or just isn't as fun as you'd think.

For example, Portal 2 was going to have a PvP mode, but the early playtests proved it to be terrible experience for all.

Top Bottom