Post Main Quest Content

+
thats most games its typical that they do main game with minimal or no post main game content then add in more with DLCs

Sadly, that does seem to be a..."trend"...sweeping the industry. :disapprove:

I really don't think we need to fear about that for CP2077, though. The main story / quest will likely be fully fleshed out, and I expect the major DLC will be along the lines of full-on expansions, like Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine for TW3.

I don't think CDPR believes in the "minimum-viable-product" approach. They believe in the "let's-knock-people-straight-out-of-their-shoes" approach. ;)

Guest 4211861

I think the post game will just be V and Jackie playing cards on a megabuilding terrace, complaining about all the aerodynes going by

Yeah it'd be nice if there was some sort of infinite quest generation like in Skyrim that only unlocks when you complete the game. Probably not gonna happen, but it'll help in milking out more playtime.

Didn't they say a few months ago that they've found an interesting way to implement "Continue Playing After Game Ends"?

As a matter of fact, they did.

New game+ is not the same thing though. New game+ is restarting the game while keeping character progression.
Thats not at all the same thing as continuing playing post-story.

Yeah it'd be nice if there was some sort of infinite quest generation like in Skyrim that only unlocks when you complete the game. Probably not gonna happen, but it'll help in milking out more playtime.

CDPR has pretty adamantly said they will never do procedurally generated content.

New game+ is not the same thing though. New game+ is restarting the game while keeping character progression.
Thats not at all the same thing as continuing playing post-story.

CDPR has pretty adamantly said they will never do procedurally generated content.
Surely some procedurally generated encountered like muggings and street robberies would be fine? There is always going to be another criminal to come along and you’ll never get rid of them much like in real life

Surely some procedurally generated encountered like muggings and street robberies would be fine? There is always going to be another criminal to come along and you’ll never get rid of them much like in real life

Will there be procedural “radiant” quests at all, or is everything going to be handcrafted stories?

Every quest in the game is handcrafted. For us, quality is always more important than quantity, and we just couldn’t deliver this quality with modules we assemble in different ways to create these random quests. We don’t just want to keep people busy, but actually give them something to do that’s worth their while.

But we’re making a big Open World RPG of course, so that also means that despite our quests being handcrafted, we tried to make a whole lot of them, so players can have fun in the game for many hours.

Source: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...dinator-philipp-weber.11014292/#post-11705816

If done properly radiant quests can be a large boon to a game's longevity. But, Bethesda ruined radiant quests in the gaming industry going forward. It's kind of poetic as they, arguably, perfected radiant quests in Daggerfall. The economy in that game encouraged you to go out into a random dungeon where your quest objective was and gather tons of randomly generated items and equipment by looting enemies and items laying around then returning to town to sell it all for a huge amount of money then complete your quest and get another. In Skyrim you're told to go to a pre-determined spot and kill/fetch something for 100 gold, rinse and repeat ad nauseam. It just wasn't worth it and proved more of a chore than a means to an end like it was in Daggerfall.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd love to see dynamic missions we could do after the main story is done. Basically just an endless supply of minor side quests to let us keep enjoying the world as we've shaped it.

Please for the love of god let the player be able to continue playing after the final mission is done. I can't stand having to reload an old save if I want to keep playing in world, and just avoiding the last mission.

M
Please for the love of god let the player be able to continue playing after the final mission is done. I can't stand having to reload an old save if I want to keep playing in world, and just avoiding the last mission.
nothing to worry about here then bud :)

Beyond DLC's and expansions (one and the same these days, really), and missions that are not married with the main storyline, I see no point in post main game content.

It's a bit of a waste given that the trend these days seems to be that people don't bother finishing their games (especially RPG's), because they are so huge and long to begin with. They play it for a time, and then quit out of boredom (the optimal situation, in my mind is, that the game should end before the player gets bored or feels compelled to start lollygagging without paying any attention).

That's also the reason why I don't fully endorse the idea of these megalomaniacal 100+ hour games.

Beyond DLC's and expansions (one and the same these days, really), and missions that are not married with the main storyline, I see no point in post main game content.

It's a bit of a waste given that the trend these days seems to be that people don't bother finishing their games (especially RPG's), because they are so huge and long to begin with. They play it for a time, and then quit out of boredom (the optimal situation, in my mind is, that the game should end before the player gets bored or feels compelled to start lollygagging without paying any attention).

That's also the reason why I don't fully endorse the idea of these megalomaniacal 100+ hour games.

To be fair, I have very often gotten to that place in a game where I think: "Ugh...I have to do XYZ...again...? Ahhh...nope."

Exits game.

Witcher 3 was pretty sad in terms of post game content (until the DLCs dropped).

All your in game friends disappeared, Dandelion, Yen, Ciri, everyone; and the world didn't reflect the major choices you made. Like Niflgaardian flags wouldn't hang over Novigrad even if you made sure they won. The first time I beat W3 I went from a top of the world feeling with the epicness of the story wrap up, to a complete empty feeling now being in a world that was barren.

I'm wondering if there was any info on this. I know the game doesn't have a follower system, but will in game friends and romances be interactible or able to come over to your place after the story is over. I'd love to be able to linger in the world after beating the game and not have it feel empty, you know.
Hello! I'm new here and new to modern console gaming really, I bought an Xbox because of the pandemic. I have been a fantasy fan my entire life and was blown away by W3. I am devastated by this ending though. I have the same sentiment of loneliness that so many others here have expressed. I would have never finished the main quest so soon had I known that after I would not even be able to interact with the main characters on some level, even as NPCs. Throughout the gameplay I would routinely stop in and just say hi to the various characters. I would replay the dialogues, it was nice to know where my friends were and that they could be found. And really no closure after? There were so many points in the game where you could have lengthy dialogs with characters after an event. I thought for sure that I would be able to deconstruct the epic finale through some dialogue with the various characters. The warning that I received prior to initiating the final quest was while I was so far away from any fast travel sign that it would've been quite laborious to go back at that point. I've read that those that played on PC were able to install some mods after finishing the main quest to be able to still interact with these characters that we've grown so close to. I have both of the expansion packs but have read that there's just almost a cameo type appearance with someone at the end of Blood and Wine apparently. I tried to play a little last night after finishing the main quest and it felt vapid and surreal, like I was in the Sixth Sense or the post humanity culling beginning of Avengers Endgame or something. I had no joy, just sadness and a longing to see my friends again. After designing such an amazing game experience wouldn't it have been just a courteous gesture for the players to have created a dénouement that provided a little more time with our friends? I know it's just a game, but I literally feel like I've just been suddenly dumped by a lover, heartbroken. Dramatic, I know ;)

Yeah, I can relate. I finally got around to playing through TW3 a few days ago. I played it years ago, got sidetracked by other games, never came back to it, lost my HDD including saves and had to start over a few weeks ago. Ended up nolifing on it for 250+ hours in my first and only playthrough. Didn't play anything else.

I was bummed out that they don't really acknowledge the ending in the main game. I get why but it would've been nice to have some Niflgaardian flags in Novigrad if they won the war for example. Or being able to talk to Geralt's friends and loved ones about it.

They remedy that to a certain extent in Blood&Wine where you can have post-ending Ciri visit you or Yen/Triss. It was a nice ending to Geralt's story I feel.

Ironically my biggest issue after playing through TW3, DLCs included, is that every other game feels mediocre as far as story and characters go. I feel empty inside, no game seems appealing to me, CP2077 delay isn't helping either :giveup:

I'm tying to power through Odyssey so I can go back to RDR2, Arkham Knight or Thief Deadly Shadows.

Personally, I'd love to see dynamic missions we could do after the main story is done. Basically just an endless supply of minor side quests to let us keep enjoying the world as we've shaped it.
yes, this is what I'm hoping for. I want to stay in world after the main story ends, and then do whatever I want, sandbox style. It doesn't need to be super complex, just levelling up, upgrading, earning $, mastering skills, endless side quests etc. Some DLCs could be aimed entirely at post-main progression. Maybe we can get rich (eventually) and buy a new apartment etc

Top Bottom