Post patch feedback from CBT player

+
Post patch feedback from CBT player

Gwent was a fascinating experience, and there is a huge credit of trust given to CD project, That being said, i just dont feel like giving it any more shots.
Its not so much about changes to particular cards or mechanics, but overall approach to such changes.
No card game ever had perfect balance, its not achievable. But given gwent round by round nature and small deck size, it shown alot of promise.
However after half a year, it feels like its going anywhere.
You just cant release patches without playtesting, And there was no playtesting behind any patch i remember, or at the very least, no traces of such from player perspective.
Its ridiculous when dominant and unplayable decks are clearly readable from patchnotes even before it goes live. Best part of any CCG is a process of building your own deck, figuring out what works and what doesnt, experimenting. Take that away and you're left with mindless grind. That target audience is fairly small and isnt going anywhere from Diablo 3, The Crew and so on.
You cant solve balance issues by simply strapping powercreep units to any faction that underperforms.
It simply creates more issues to solve later, and the amount of work gets overwhelming. So, naturally, when initial problem a solved, a new one is created. Many of us remember 8 power being a bronze baseline, And then we get NG with some more interesting units. Allright, but for some reason, it was restricted for NG, Then came bronze Eredins, and so on, and so on. There was a little hope after OBT and reset, with major game rework, What we see now? Fine, we powercreep BSS to counter weather dominance. Weather is gone, BSS is still miles ahead of its collegues. So we still have like half of all cards that are still balanced around the same old baselines. And the other half, that is playable. So, approach basicly hasnt changed.
You cant add mechanics that work inconsistently, or dont work at all.
Trio mechanic looks cool! Does it work? No, Not a single trio is playable. And lets add a bunch of cards that can remove enemy units straight from their deck, to make sure, it wont ever work unless we remove a frustrating mechanic we've added to counter units buffed in deck. There was alot of complains about gravehag going that 16+ power as last turn play being not interactive. A 1 power card, that was silver. And it was infuriating, Allright, added timer to it, not its easily counterable. Now lets make a bunch of bronzes following the same pattern. Because reasons.
Armor mechanic had a good idea behind it. Protect core units from direct removal. Is it implemented consistently? Lets see. Arachas behemoth? Check. Impera brigade? No, screw them. WH riders? Reaver Hunters? You see where this is going, right.
ATM there is simply no sense of progression towards the game, during CBT it at least felt that most patches solved more issues than they created. That is no longer the case.
I do understand that is really hard to make gwent truly interesting, after all, there is no minion combat, no player health, But prancing around reddit complains, stumbling upon the very same mistakes over and over again wont cut it, Forcibly shifting metagame every patch is a solid marketing strategy, and surely noone works for free. I guess i just expected something beyond that from CDPR. Maybe im just being unfair, after all the game had slowly evolved for quite a while. In recent patch - it didnt. Weather was opressive, something had to be done. But simply removing it without giving a thought to balacing cards towards the new state of the game solves only one trouble while creating many. There are many mechanics allready present in other CCGS that help with troublesome damage sources. "Guard" mechanic from MMDoC comes to mind, but i digress, "balancing" approach has been covered enough.
Ill probably revisit the game in a half a year or so, but as of now, it all got a little too old. Cheers.

They have a really hard time balancing this game. They're flip-flopping on their decisions and just have no general idea where things will go. However, maybe give it more time. Wait until the beta ends and we might see some nice balance.

I really like CB more and would like some things to go back to where they were. But I'm willing to wait it out. It's not like it's unplayable and the more "serious" players out there play it, the more decent feedback they get.

P.S.

They do in-house testing. But that's nowhere close to a large player base. I think their biggest mistake is changing so much for OB to draw in more players. They should have kept tweaking the CB game.

I disagree about balancing the game around weather. Weather ihmo needed a rework. What they done, i wouldnt have done, but ihmo is still better than gravitating the whole game around weather.

To be frank, i think that it should never be changed from what we had on CB. Weather should only had a few tweaks from what it was. How about just halving the units strength instead of setting it to one? Would it work? I dont know, it had no testing on CB anyways.

In fact, i dislike a lot of things they done to the game on the transition from CB to OB, not just the weather rework, but the more agile units and the further restrictions to CA gain to name a few. Feels like they simply threw out of the window 6 months of game balancing on CB and now they are just chasing their tails to balance the game to a better state once again.

Laveley;n9089700 said:
I disagree about balancing the game around weather. Weather ihmo needed a rework. What they done, i wouldnt have done, but ihmo is still better than gravitating the whole game around weather.

To be frank, i think that it should never be changed from what we had on CB. Weather should only had a few tweaks from what it was. How about just halving the units strength instead of setting it to one? Would it work? I dont know, it had no testing on CB anyways.

In fact, i dislike a lot of things they done to the game on the transition from CB to OB, not just the weather rework, but the more agile units and the further restrictions to CA gain to name a few. Feels like they simply threw out of the window 6 months of game balancing on CB and now they are just chasing their tails to balance the game to a better state once again.

Never said weather was fine, actually, i stated that it was too opressive. CBT version was fairly broken, mostly due to CA+ weather play. But Warsong Commander nerfs are bad. And they are disastrous when you implement them after a continous strak of powercreeps to overcome it. Take a good look at something like Wyvern, an old school baseline 5+3 removal bronze. Then on something like shieldmaidens 15 points swing + 2 thinning on a bronze. WH riders used to be fairly good being 9 + 2 thinning in meta where 8 value bronze was considered "big". Savage bear is 7+ its ability. So basicly ping on anything that enters the board costs...1 power? BSS is 6+2 with weather clear and crewman. Wich of its abilities has no stat cost, crewman or weather clear?
CBT meta was all about CA, thinning and gold core. Now the game is about bronzes, they are the decks true core. And there is no balance in bronzes, no even close. That is what i ment with balance issues. If you disagree - well, we can have a discussion.

isnadtochiev;n9089870 said:
Never said weather was fine, actually, i stated that it was too opressive.

Never said that you said weather was fine. I said that i disagree when you said that the game should be balanced towards weather instead of just "fixing" weather per se, and you did said that, here:

isnadtochiev;n9089560 said:
But simply removing it without giving a thought to balacing cards towards the new state of the game solves only one trouble while creating many.

Now, like i already said, i dont like what they did to the game on the transition from CB to OB. And many of the problems you see now, aint from this last patch, in fact this last patch is just solving (or trying to solve) problems that were introduced on the OB transition, mainly weather. So, since they screwed from the CB to OB transition, i aint complaining about what they are trying to solve now. Balancing the game toward weather is a poor solution imo.

People that dislike this new patch often says that weather wasnt that strong, and it really wasnt (if you play on the higher ranks you would notice it), however, like yourself said, it was oppressive, it forced you to play several auto-include cards. So, what i'm saying is, again, i prefer that they did what they did instead of just trying to balance towards weather. On the general aspect of the game, i agree with you. I just disagree on this point.

Basically you are crying because the weather is gone? Good riddance i might say, the patches where weather was bad were the best.

DMaster2;n9090060 said:
Basically you are crying because the weather is gone? Good riddance i might say, the patches where weather was bad were the best.

Im unsure if you indentedly trolling or that is truly all you got from the post. In first case you apparently succeeded, so well done. And i wish you did, second option scares me deeply.

I hear a lot of OPs points, and I get where he is coming from. As a veteran of Closed Beta, there is a fondness for what Gwent used to be. Gold Spam was a problem, and it got balanced down, but at least you still had Gold Spam. ST FL Rally was a problem, and it got balanced down, but at lease you could still play FL Rally.

Closed Beta had certain mechanics that worked really well. There were a lot more Relentless cards that functioned the way Stubborn cards should now. There were more Permadeath cards that worked the way Doomed should work now. There were creatures with Weather Immunity, which is a mechanic that should still exist, and would have made weather in Open Beta less of an issue. There were mechanics that were just fine that were removed for no reason that I can see.

Open Beta added some new mechanics that aren't terrible, some of which were needed because at the end of CB, NR was just a disjointed disaster. But RNR and Drought were not needed as they are. If you were doing away with Gold Spam, there was no reason to change the way Triss/Vernon Roche/Iorveth dealt with Gold Cards. You took some things that were well balanced in CB and removed them, causing a lot of things in Open Beta to not make any sense.

I think it can be fixed. I hope it can be fixed. I'm not ready to give up on it, but I think that I am compelled to keep my wallet closed on it until I'm sure it's gonna move back in the right direction.

I agree they need to get their shit together, they make one step forward and then two back. They make too drastic changes that hurt game because factions and archetypes lose identity in eyes of players. Faction we used to love and dedicated time to make can't just be thrown into garbage bin on some whim. Instead of trying to tweak some number in this "hotfix" they change faction like NR so much to a point where it is unrecognizable. We moved into open beta and we still don't have stability of our basic cards. It really pisses me off that everything that i get to like in this game gets removed without any explanation.

It is huge dick move to say one thing on stream and then do something else two days later. So many contradiction and it seems like they have no idea what they are doing if they can change their minds in 2 damn days. It is better to deley patch and inform us about issue they have then just slapping some random mechanics....

isnadtochiev;n9090250 said:
Im unsure if you indentedly trolling or that is truly all you got from the post. In first case you apparently succeeded, so well done. And i wish you did, second option scares me deeply.
I'm quite familiar with these kind of posts. Professing being a long time player, a lot of stuff throw into it for people to chew, but in the end the compaint thread can be summarized with a few key points. Since this patch focus heavily on making weather bearable, it's easy to guess what your real point is.

I think they should cancel the whole thing, its not going anywhere, it was a decent attempt but it failed. Lets concentrate on Cyberpunk 2077 and maybe start working on Witcher 4 a Ciri story.

I think the game got over complicated, and I agree with OP... I don't know if I can come back to it anymore. Gwent was about a couple of simple things: 3 rows, 3 rounds, win 2 of them more points than your opponent. Now the cards are so complicated you need a caption for every word in bold to try figure when it does what and then what happens after it dies but before the next card triggers.

Early revisions weren't perfect... weather used to knock every card to 1, hah, meaning whoever played weather last usually won. But I can't keep up with this game anymore, and part of it is probably due to seeing cards and confusing them with the past 9 different things those cards did. It used to matter what row you had cards on, but now every card can go on almost every row. Card advantage is meh... because there are cards out there now that chain in these incredible ways. One move is a 20-30 point swing? It's too much to me, and I think a lot of it comes from the fact that I've had to relearn how to play like 5 times. I'm not talking... oh this card is 5 instead of a 4... I play a Frost now and god knows what it'll do. I put a card on the board but it's useless because it has to be to the left of card A but to the right of Card B... but Card B can't be Relentless or new abstract label. Like I said, I think it's just over complicated... and I wish I could give better feedback than that. Love the company, love the game... but I'm worn out I think. Maybe I can come back in a year and have the patience to learn this thing from scratch for the 10th time.

Games which are complex are still good - but they should be well explained and consistent. I still play with the captions on (why they are off by default) and still miss some cards in the log (why we do not see what has been played by the opponent, what unit has been chosen to be removed from my deck / graveyard via consume etc). On the other hand, it seems to me that actually the patch was quite all right and moving things in the right direction.

Generally, the game is not bad, and it does offer quite a lot of meaningful choices already. It is not complexity which may be problematic, but the relative lack of explanation of what is happening. I also expect that many of the ideas which used to be a thing in CB will be revived in the future.

Finally, the game slowly moves towards the point where any strategy has some way to counter without making your deck obsolete, which is a nice and worthy goal. As for the power creep, well, some cards are very difficult to balance as they are conditional. They may be interesting to play though. So, mathematically, one can make them worthy playing in a special deck (so their value will go up) while still having counters. The armour cards of NR is such a case which is easy to balance - and really not many complain about armour NR decks. On the other hand, cards with effects like deck thinning are very difficult to balance, card draw is insanely difficult to balance (even when symmetric), cards which strengthen instead of boosting are difficult. Cards with tough conditions to satisfy are not easy either - one can get a probability of having those satisfied in a game, but the constrains about when the card is playable and when it is not make it very difficult to value properly. Finally constrains on cards about placing on the board is also something which is tough to value accurately. Certainly, mathematics, probability and consistency helps with balancing of easy cards, but conditional cards are really tough to get right.

Finally, every patch, some cards are purposefully overly weakened, to make the meta shift significantly. That is due to fun factor - playing slightly different game every patch is not that much fun - playing significantly different game is fun.

I also feel the same way about post CB patches. I don't usually follow discussions on "what's the most viable" as I enjoy trying to figure out a deck/strategy that may be more obscure but is effective. Changes are meant to slightly mix things up, not literally flip the table on its head and make things completely unviable. Sometimes even when changes seem minor on the surface but make such a huge impact on a strategy I've taken a while to come up with and implement it just makes me disheartened. I feel backed into a corner, and more and more I need to be looking up and playing the dominant meta strategies if I want to have a chance at winning, rather than being able to get by with ones I compose.

My love for this game keeps being drained more and more with each patch since it went into OB.

Snake_Foxhounder;n9089680 said:
They have a really hard time balancing this game. They're flip-flopping on their decisions and just have no general idea where things will go. However, maybe give it more time. Wait until the beta ends and we might see some nice balance.

I really like CB more and would like some things to go back to where they were. But I'm willing to wait it out. It's not like it's unplayable and the more "serious" players out there play it, the more decent feedback they get.

P.S.

They do in-house testing. But that's nowhere close to a large player base. I think their biggest mistake is changing so much for OB to draw in more players. They should have kept tweaking the CB game.

Its just that they know how to make the best arpg in the world but they simply went onto new ground with a card game. Shame this game will probably never be on par with other card games.

I agree with your P.S., they went with a major overhaul of so many things when they went from CB to OB, they destroyed so much to gain new players. I wonder how many new players they gained over time. How many left?

I hope they can save this game because it used to be fun and full of potential. Thank goodness there is Witcher 3 Gwent to satisfy my needs for it. Not ideal as its PvE and unbalanced but better than stand alone Gwent.

Top Bottom