post patch worst match?

+
post patch worst match?

Monster is generally frost, fog, or a mixture. Main strategy is to use harpy with roar/ ekimma, foglet /whh to thin deck and crones for quick tempo play etc. I am now around rank 13, and am doing ok.
Worse match so far seems to be spell'atel, and these new crazy machine ping decks that I am struggling to keep up with. And savage bear.
My current golds are ge'els, triss butt, woodland spirit and caranthar. Silver crones, water hag, fiend and jotunn. Any good tech cards against those decks? Kayran will probably own spell, but is not that great these days.. really at a lost Vs these machine decks more to do with I am confused with how it works.. seems to be some dude buff machines, and all the crewman around so each machine just machine gun you down... I am thinking playing all the weak monster first and just let them over kill whilst using weather may work.. it is very strong right now... I think spell deck will just kill that though...

I am struggling the most against skellige axmen. When their buff gets going, it is impossible to remove them from board and impossible to catch up even after i play kayran on frightner! . I am starting to think about crafting succubus for this reason alone!

for spell'tael decks bekker twisted mirror is great card for round 3. use woodland spirit in round 3 to spawn 3 1 strength wolfs. Wait for him to use his 1st buffed bronze card and then use bekker twisted mirror for an average of 30 pts swing.This is something they wont expect and are rarely prepared for it.

as for the machine decks , well since the new patch came i faced one foltest machines deck and lost. So i dont have yet the whole picture to draw a conclusion. But apparently those deck use ballistas that attack all units with same strength and we both know that monsters cards strength is so similar so it probably is a very hard matchup for us.

Michelazz;n8923170 said:
I am struggling the most against skellige axmen. When their buff gets going, it is impossible to remove them from board and impossible to catch up even after i play kayran on frightner! . I am starting to think about crafting succubus for this reason alone!

You totally should... I'm messing around with my first monster deck and had the biggest, literal, laugh out loud moment today. Thought using the Succubus to steal Mork round one was pretty fun, but having renew in my hand and seeing the other guy slap resilience on a 47 point Axeman... Now *that* made for a fun succubus play.

Mirror achieve similar purpose with succubus, if you have a weak card. Renew does make it reusable though. I sometimes wonders if I should stick with decks that are good vs popular decks but just lose horribly against certain types, or tech a few cards in to have a chance Vs every decks.

I played NR machine a bit and my best match up was against monster (monster consume is even easier). On the other hand, it's really easy to counter a machine deck (too predictable). You need to kill asap the siege support and don't leave two crewmen close to each other on his field. Since a machine NR plays almost all his cards on the same row, a swipe would be great tech against it (unfortunately not that good against other M/U) and Alzur thunder seems to be a must have at higher mmr (denying a bear, a siege support or an imperial brigade for example)
And Succubus (combined with the 7 strengh that moves a unit to its row) is atm a must have in a monster deck as it allows you to steal the best opposite units with 100% chance.

Reached rank 14 today playing caranthir, caretaker, geels and kayran as golds. With eredin as leader. Succubus may start to be handy maybe in higher MMR as till now caretaker is being very useful and the rest of my golds are a lock in my deck.

Regis Higher Vampire is great vs spell decks as you get to eat one of their key minions (also good vs consume monsters when you can eat a nekker).The other thing is that against spell decks you need frightener, it's a super important card. I think vs machine and skellige decks, you need to play efficiently. For tech, shackles is good vs hjalmar and katakan can be good for eating something they want to res.

Depends on what you mean under "worst". If you mean the worst gameplay experience - Spell ST, uncontested winner. Cards getting boosted while in deck is by itself a horrible design choice. A reoccuring trouble. Reaver hunters, Spotters... but both at least require actual proactive plays to boost them. DBP gets boosted from playing removal, wich single-handedly awards it with "Worst card ever to be implemented in gwent since CBT" award, as well as honourable "Who the hell thought it was a good idea" nomination. Resultatively we have a deck with next to no interactions, gameplay against it degrades into 8+ turns of pure delaying. And it still gonna take something like Vamp Regis to beat it if ST player gets a goldfish draw. Overall a solid 9.5 on my annoyance meter.

If you mean the toughest matchup - well, for me personally it was machine NR, but its mostly due to my stubborn "WH or bust" approach. Archtype doesnt have acess to any sort of power staggering outside of old speartip. As a result - ballistas simply decimate my board.

Thanatos35;n8953640 said:
I played NR machine a bit and my best match up was against monster (monster consume is even easier). On the other hand, it's really easy to counter a machine deck (too predictable). You need to kill asap the siege support and don't leave two crewmen close to each other on his field. Since a machine NR plays almost all his cards on the same row, a swipe would be great tech against it (unfortunately not that good against other M/U) and Alzur thunder seems to be a must have at higher mmr (denying a bear, a siege support or an imperial brigade for example)
And Succubus (combined with the 7 strengh that moves a unit to its row) is atm a must have in a monster deck as it allows you to steal the best opposite units with 100% chance.

Guess i shall give succubus a try. However, decks that overbuff 1 unit are allready manageable without it. On NR predictability - with most decks at around 2.3k where iam now - i know their gameplan in advance, NR machines simply have way too many targets to remove for WH, since both siege supports and blue stripes scouts are "kill on sight" targets. Its unleclear how does "crewman" fit into unit bufget of 6+2 armor weather removing unit. Nothing like that apparently fits into Nauzicas or Archgriffins budget. If we add absence of power staggering and, surprisingly, armor, we have a plainly horrible matchup at hand. Some units like Caranthir or Jotun could hypoteticly help, but balistas are agile( Drowners could be the cure, but gaining a better chance in 1 marchup at the cost of greatly weakening the others seems questionable.

Last edited:
isnadtochiev;n8959630 said:
rowners could be the cure, but gaining a better chance in 1 marchup at the cost of greatly weakening the others seems questionable
Drowners can also help you to save your own units from a row affected by weather so it's rarely a bad card.
All together NR Machine is a bad match up for monsters but not impossible. Focus on locking/killing siege support first (to avoid the buff), not blue stripe scouts. Remember they can't ressurect units. When I see one NR machines having his 3 siege support on the same row and me unable to kill them, I know I have lost the round so I don't overplay, give the round up and know he has already payed his best assets before (he only has the witchers remaining for tempo)

I don't really have a problem against spellatel or whatever you wanna call it because I play Regis. Ususally, eating one DB protector is enough to win the game for me and with renew I can sometimes eat two and then they basically don't have anything left with which they could beat me in the last round.

Skeliige bears and axemen are annoying and a hard match up because Regis is rather crap against them but I have a decent win rate against these decks if I have fiend and shackles in hand. I also play two frosts and the water hags rain can also help against those damn bears.

My real problems are 1) NR machines because they can basically wreck my whole army with one or two machines. And 2) Dwarves because it's really hard to win the first round and if you don't win the first round it's basically over.

The decks I am seeing at about 2800-3000 ranking point is sk, axeman or queens guard. That's more than half. A few monster with fog/frost or both, a few consume, nr machine and a few nilf reveal decks. I switch between axeman and dagon mixed weather. Mixed weather is better against random decks. Axeman seems a bit luck based. If they have little answer to weather, you win, otherwise it's close or just lose.

Top Bottom