Post processing sharpening [not working] in blood and wine :(

+
I appreciate the concern Murzinio, but if the option is in the game, and when I say "in the game" I mean, wherever I travel in the map, or whatever region I go, when I press the "esc" button and go to the graphics option, it's there, there's no reason fot me to use a MOD or whatever reshade available. There's no warning, as the Mezziaz said, preventing me from being surprised if the said option does not work properly.

And I don't think that they meant this from the beggining. I start to believe it's too much work involved to add this option back in the game (expansion area), that they just create this "excuse" as a cover.

What you're saying here is pure speculation. I, too, thought it was just an oversight, and I was surprised that the issue was not addressed immediately, actually. Now, what that says to me is -- even though I thought it was a simple, direct issue that could be easily fixed -- I was incorrect.

In fact, it's either a terribly complex issue that the devs are not going to spend time trying to explain...or it's a very, very simple issue that the art department had to make a call on. From what I'm gathering from discussions about this over time, the sharpening is still functioning, but some of the other graphical tweaks used in the visuals for Blood and Wine are overriding it. Whether that means that they disable the effect in the engine or whether it's mitigated to the point that it's virtually undetectable, I don't know.

That's all speculation, too, though. You've heard exactly what we have about it: "It shall remain."

the yellow lighting hides the sharpening, i created reshade preset that removes the yellow filter and the textures look a little more sharpened but not a very big difference, it is still less sharpened than in velen or skellige

What you're saying here is pure speculation. I, too, thought it was just an oversight, and I was surprised that the issue was not addressed immediately, actually. Now, what that says to me is -- even though I thought it was a simple, direct issue that could be easily fixed -- I was incorrect.

In fact, it's either a terribly complex issue that the devs are not going to spend time trying to explain...or it's a very, very simple issue that the art department had to make a call on. From what I'm gathering from discussions about this over time, the sharpening is still functioning, but some of the other graphical tweaks used in the visuals for Blood and Wine are overriding it. Whether that means that they disable the effect in the engine or whether it's mitigated to the point that it's virtually undetectable, I don't know.

That's all speculation, too, though. You've heard exactly what we have about it: "It shall remain."

Once again you try to deviate from the core of the matter. I'll say once again, it doesn't matter what I or you like, think, or whatever, this problem must be fixed, or at the least, be adressed openly by the team responsible. As you said, and since you can't give the answers I ("we" I guess) need, I ask you to contact whomever you can to find a proper answer to this matter as soon as possible.

I'll continue to post things here or in the Tech Support area until this has been properly explained or resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
the yellow lighting hides the sharpening, i created reshade preset that removes the yellow filter and the textures look a little more sharpened but not a very big difference, it is still less sharpened than in velen or skellige

(Missed this comment before...)

Ah! So, it is still working, but the other settings hide it? I thought I read something to that effect somewhere when B&W first came out. (Then, it was never brought up again, and it drifted into the recesses of my mind where I keep the memories of grammar school lunches.)

A while ago i posted this problem with a dx diag config and they responsed back, [1 of the RED developers] and they said said the were aware of problem and are going to fix it, so i find it a bit odd that now say that this was intended for blood and wine.

I have the feeling that the reason why they disabled it in the blood and wine dlc is for performance gains, for the console versions.

Shame tho i miss the effect allot, and i refuse to use a third party software to enable it, hopefully someday they wil bring it back to the dlc.

Last edited:
I have the feeling that the reason why they disabled it in the blood and wine dlc is for performance gains, for the console versions.
I doubt it, from the performance guide on geforce.com

"Performance: Sharpen's another post-processing option with a negligible performance cost. In this case, half a frame per second at the very most."

The first thing that struck me upon loading B&W is how "soft" the visuals felt, compared to the main game. Everything has a "summertime glow". I'm guessing that what @cyberpunkforever discovered above is close to the mark, if not a bullseye. The Sharpening works exactly the same as in the main game, but the "hazy" filter and color settings simply mask it.

It makes total sense, one filter is messing with the other, that is another reason for a proper solution to this, maybe it's not as "mad science" as we thought at first.

It makes total sense, one filter is messing with the other, that is another reason for a proper solution to this, maybe it's not as "mad science" as we thought at first.
I certainly hope CD Project fix this, as this is completely ruining Toussaint for me... Not only the yellow is horribly overdone, but it makes everything blurry on top of that. Just remove it, please ? :-/

I'm losing hope since the depth of field in kaer morhen is still broken too. Actually the lightning in kaer morhen is pretty messed up as well, and more than a year later I doubt they'll do anything about it.

The depth of field I have an idea why it doesn't work... the mountains. They wanted to impress with those mountains, damn marketing team.

Last edited:
I'm losing hope since the depth of field in kaer morhen is still broken too. Actually the lightning in kaer morhen is pretty messed up as well, and more than a year later I doubt they'll do anything about it.

The depth of field I have an idea why it doesn't work... the mountains. They wanted to impress with those mountains, damn marketing team.

I don't get such posts. "They wanted to impress with those mountains, damn marketing team." Well and Kaer Morhen works perfectly fine for me and the mountains are great! Are you sure that you aren't playing on 140p and lowest settings ? -.-

If you have a bug that really makes the " lightning in kaer morhen [...] messed up", you probably help the team by taking a screenshot of your problem instead of posting it in a topic where a person asked for the pp sharpening in the B&W area..

I don't get such posts. "They wanted to impress with those mountains, damn marketing team." Well and Kaer Morhen works perfectly fine for me and the mountains are great! Are you sure that you aren't playing on 140p and lowest settings ? -.-

If you have a bug that really makes the " lightning in kaer morhen [...] messed up", you probably help the team by taking a screenshot of your problem instead of posting it in a topic where a person asked for the pp sharpening in the B&W area..

I know that I strayed a bit from the thread, sorry for that, but what I'm trying to say is that the cause of this problems are identical. B&W had to be colourful like a paint for whatever reason, so they toned down or completely remove the sharpening, and in kaer morhen, for a better view of the mountains, they disabled the depth of field. That's marketing. They had to sell Toussaint colourful, as they had to sell the kaer morhen mountains.

The point here is that the said postprocessing filters are not working, and the reason is not because it's a bug, but a conscious decision of the dev team. And that is wrong. Because if the option is in the menu, it must work perfectly in the entire game as I already said in my older posts.

I know the game looks amazing, I play on PC, ultra settings. But once again that is not the point, the point here is that they consciously removed options from "parts" of the game and this is wrong.

What I'm trying to do here is open your eyes guys. I know the game looks amazing, plays amazing, sounds amazing and there are a great number of mods that can help me. I know that CDPR is a good company to gamers. But this is no excuse for the "loose ends" in almost every patch they released, as well as is no excuse to disable "options" from a region or two for whatever reason.

Sorry if I am being annoying, I just want you to realize that some things are just wrong, and they know about it but won't do nothing if we keep quiet. Here is where we can talk about it, look for answers, share our indignations, our complaints. That's what I'm doing. Benzenzimmern already said that they will not fix this, and all I want is you to see how wrong they are for not doing it, and I just used another example.

Hey, this will not get "fixed", since it was a conscious decision by the art team to have much less sharpening in Toussaint. If you happen to play on PC, a ReShade might work to change it for you. :)
I didn't realize it was an official decision, kept the hope it was just a bug and could be fixed...
I don't understand how it can be a conscious decision to make the game blurry and with horribly washed out and yellowed colours giving the feeling there is some sort of heavy air pollution and that the water is some sickly chemical...

I absolutely can't understand how people who gave us the gorgeous Skellige or the impressive forest lighting in Novigrad, can decide to make such a hideous over-exagerated effect, nor can anyone could look at the outrageously yellow and hazy picture and not realizes it just looks WRONG...

I'm pretty disgusted now, seems I simply won't play B&W, the assets are superbs but the filter and the lack of sharpening make it just too fucking ugly to endure - I don't even have the feeling I'm still playing the same game.

I'd really have liked to have a better ending to this (up to now) fantastic game, especially about something which SHOULD be easily toggable as an option and should be a very superficial detail - but when it destroys the entire appearance of the game and ruins the immersion, it sadly has a disproportionate effect on the game...

Yeah, I'm bitter :(

:geraltsad:

when everyone is busy with gwent and cp2077 no one there to fix the bugs, the bugs become "design decisions" ;) still hope to see a w3 bug lite edition in the future

Hopefully they will fix this problem, in the goty edition, i would be hilarious funny if this is intended i wont believe that, it still looks horrible compared to the main game and heart of stone, sharpnes gone, blurry, yellow filter cmon man it looks like textures are on low for some weird reason, its like post processing sharpening is dead in blood and wine for now.

Last edited:
Well for those who aren't aware, there's finally a mod that fixes the missing sharpening filter for Toussaint created by @Murzinio which can be downloaded here - http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1984/?

Rejoice! All who have yearned for sharpened landscapes, swords, baguettes and...It works. Thank you @Murzinio

P.S. - Not to the fault of the mod (it's great) I can understand why CDPR would decide to not use sharpening in Toussaint. Maybe it's because I have gotten used to not using it while playing BaW but now I'm slightly biased towards not using sharpening, especially in this particular region. The primary issue as I see it, which also affects the main game's regions, is when using the sharpening filter it can have a negative impact on textures and the picture as a whole.

A good example would be how it emphasizes jaggies, increasing texture shimmering, which is particularly noticeable in the foliage. If you insist on using the sharpening filter, texture shimmering and jaggies can be alleviated to a degree by manually tweaking theTextureMipBias in the User.ini from the default -1 to a TextureMipBias like -0.8 or -0.6 (or even 0, which was the default until patch 1.04) for a nice middle ground. From my experience, a TextureMipBias of -0.7 or -0.6 along with low sharpening has given me the sweet spot in most cases. While playing Blood and Wine, I prefer using the default TextureMipBias=-1, without sharpening. However, I've been experimenting back and forth with this sharpening mod, so in some ways I prefer it and in

While playing Blood and Wine, I prefer using the default TextureMipBias=-1, without sharpening. However, to be fair I've only been experimenting back and forth with this sharpening mod for a short time in Toussaint. In certain instances I prefer it on, like being able to see Geralt's face easier in normal gameplay, while in others like the overly jagged foliage/grass, I'd rather keep it off. YMMV.

[Streaming/Textures]
UseMipRefiner=true
(*This is also with this tweak used, which is placed at the very bottom of your User.ini. as shown.)

More on tweaks here - http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/63999-The-compendium-of-tweaks-and-fixes-for-the-PC-version

Last edited:
...but now I'm slightly biased towards not using sharpening, especially in this particular region.

I never cared for sharpening anywhere. (Nor chromatic aberration.) Both of those features add...I don't know...something..."mechanical" to the image that made me think either "filmed on a bad camera" or "cartoon coloration". Either way, rather than a soft, natural image, they created very hard, flatter pictures. Granted, both effects are used pretty subtly in TW3, but when I noticed something, my reaction was always:
:what3:

Top Bottom