Posting a custom Gwent puzzle from time to time

+
Hi there!

Those of you who played Thronebreaker are likely familiar with puzzles - matches played in a custom setting, with cards and win conditions designed solely for them. However, players from beta might also remember that there used to be events in which we'd get 3 puzzles/custom matches (with two difficulty levels) build around a theme - Mahakam Ale Festival, Saovine: Holiday of the Dead and Midwinter Hunt. Unfortunately, due to to several factors the events were discontinued.
I might be alone in this, but I loved them. In my opinion they fitted perfectly to Gwent, were a great addition to the standard gameplay and Gwent is simply not the same without them.
So since we don't have them in Gwent anymore (and it's not like second Witcher Tales are coming anytime soon), I thought why not make my own puzzles? And so I did. Might as well share them.

Starting today I will be posting here a custom puzzle and I invite you to try and solve them. To make it more interesting, I will provide a reward for the first person to correctly solve the puzzle. More details below.

The first puzzle is

The Mage from Ofir
StartingScreen.png

Your objective is to steal these artifacts​
Opponentartifacts.png

from Radeyah​
Opponentcards.png

without letting Vernossiel die.​
Playercardsboard.png

Those are the cards in your hand​
Playerscardshand.png

and to help you visualize it all - this is how the starting board looks like:​
Startingboard.png

I recommend posting the walkthrough in spoilers, in case someone else might want to solve it, too.

Like said above, I will gift a cosmetic bundle purchasable with meteorite powder to the first person that posts a correct walkthrough of the puzzle.

1. Who is the organizer?
I am. CD PROJEKT RED is in no way involved in the creation of the puzzles nor providing the reward. The bundle will be bought with meteorite powder from my own resources.

2. Who can participate?
Any user of forums.cdprojektred.com

3. How to participate?
List in a correct way how provided cards and abilities need to be played in order to solve the puzzle.

4. What is the contest period?
Answers can be posted within 7 days from the moment of posting the task.

5. How will winners be chosen?
The first person to post a correct walkthrough of the puzzle will be the winner.
If nobody posts a correct answer within the contest period the reward is forfeited.

6. What is the prize?
A cosmetic GWENT bundle purchasable with Meteorite Powder, selected by the winner.

7. How to redeem the prize?
Winner will be selected within 14 days from the moment of posting the task.
Winner will be required to send me a PM with their GWENT username and the name of the bundle they like. They will have to accept my friend invite in order to receive the prize. If the winner will not do any of the above, the reward is forfeited.
Prize will be given within 7 days from the moment of accepting the invite.

Hope you'll enjoy, good luck and stay tuned for the next one!
Cheers

Last edited:
Round 1 - use vernossiel order and use theft.l and steal one artifact
- use distraction from hand
Radeyah is in my side and all the artifacts are in The other side.

Round 2 - use the first theft in artifact.

Round 3 - use versatility and replay theft.

Radeyah and 2 artifacts at my side

Round 4 - order vernossiel in theft.

Second theft from my hand.

Radeyah and 4 artifacts at my side.

Round 5 - use The second distraction and switch Radeyah with The Last artifacts.

Radeyah in The other side and all 5 artifacts at my side
Post automatically merged:

If order vernossiel you actually use that card from hand and cant use again, here is my second solutiom

Round 1
- use first theft from hand.

Round 2:
- use distraction from hand
- use vernossiel order and use theft from gy.

Radeyah at my side and One of the artifacts.

Round 3
- use The second theft from hand.

Round 4
- use versatility from hand and use theft again

Radeyah and 3 artifacts at my side.

Round 5 — use versoniel order and use theft from gy
Use The second distraction from hand.

All the artifacts at my side and Radeyah in The other side

Last edited:
I don't know the answer of this puzzle but I also have this idea to add puzzle mode in Gwent for over a year, but I never discussed it because I thought nobody would be interested. But I would be happy if devs add puzzle mode in the game. I have few more ideas regretting game modes but I don't think I should talk about it.

I can't really say if your solution is correct or not, before the end of the contest. Someone else might want to participate too, and it might be unfair if I provided you with some clues.

If you've read the cards carefully and are happy with your solution, then keep it.

rrc

Forum veteran
Wow! it is simply amazing @betraymechino! How did you do it!? How much time it took for you!? It looks as though it is a screenshot of the game board.

The best part of TB was the puzzles. I really loved them. Few of them where so damn hard and I thought that there was an issue in the puzzle/conditions, and had to take a break and then solve it with an open mind. (And I remember one puzzle which was so hard, but we can simply pass and win the puzzle :p)

Before I try to solve this, I have one question. So, every turn, we can play a card from our hand and trigger Vernossiel if her ability is available, right? So, effectively playing two cards a turn every 3 turns since Vernossiel has cooldown of 3. Am I right?

Also, when moving an artifact to the other row from the row in which Redeyah is present wouldn't reduce her Cooldown, right? Only when it is Seized from her row. Am I right?

Assuming that using Preparation Spell and moving an artifact from R's row to the other row will not cause her counter to go down and Vernosseil can use her ability whenever it is available. And Assuming that when Vernossiel plays a spell from the GY, she doesn't give it doomed. This is how I will go about:

Turn 1) Play Calm (R's counter to 3)
Turn 2) Versatility (R's counter to 4)
Turn 3) Theft + Vernossiel->Theft-from GY (R's counter will be 2)
So, at this point the Redeyah will have counter 2 and 2 artifacts have been stolen and we have Calm, Distract, Distract, Prepare, Prepare, Theft in hand
Turn 4) Calm (R's counter is 3)
Turn 5) Prepare
Turn 6) Theft on the Ranged row Artifact + Vernossiel->Theft from Melee row (R's counter is 2)
So, at this point, Redeyah's counter is 2 and only one artifact is left and we have Distract, Distract and Prepare in hand. Now we wait for Vernossiel's ability to be available which will happen when we play the last card. The order doesn't matter anymore.
Turn 7) Distract and simply swap R and A
Turn 8) Distract and simply swap R and A
Turn 9) Prepare + Vernossiel->Theft to finish with Redeyah's counter with 2 (or simply Vernossiel-> Theft to win with R's counter as 1 and finishing without playing the last card)

Last edited:
Before I try to solve this, I have one question. So, every turn, we can play a card from our hand and trigger Vernossiel if her ability is available, right? So, effectively playing two cards a turn every 3 turns since Vernossiel has cooldown of 3. Am I right?

Also, when moving an artifact to the other row from the row in which Redeyah is present wouldn't reduce her Cooldown, right? Only when it is Seized from her row. Am I right?
Yes, in both instances you are correct.

As for the time it takes to make a puzzle, it depends. With some it works right away - I have an idea or a theme for the puzzle and in the same day I'll come up with the cards and desired playthrough. Then it's just couple days to photoshop it all together (doing the board is a nightmare).
But with some puzzles, i'll go through a dozen of iterations, until I come up with a satisfying result. There are still few puzzles in the works, that are in the work-in-progress state for weeks now.
Few of them where so damn hard and I thought that there was an issue in the puzzle/conditions, and had to take a break and then solve it with an open mind.
The Cow puzzle in Rivia still gives me nightmares :cry:

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
Yes, in both instances you are correct.

As for the time it takes to make a puzzle, it depends. With some it works right away - I have an idea or a theme for the puzzle and in the same day I'll come up with the cards and desired playthrough. Then it's just couple days to photoshop it all together (doing the board is a nightmare).
But with some puzzles, i'll go through a dozen of iterations, until I come up with a satisfying result. There are still few puzzles in the works, that are in the work-in-progress state for weeks now.

The Cow puzzle in Rivia still gives me nightmares :cry:
I have one more question.. does how many turns we use matter? So, only solving the puzzle maters even if it is inefficient and uses more turns?

The story, the theme of the puzzle, everything is top notch. I am actually amazed by the quality of the cards, the board and everything (even the fonts look as though this is from the game and not photoshopped). Very very well done.

I was thinking what if Vernossiel gives doomed to the card she plays (basically forcing us to use Versatility on Theft) and once I thought about that aspect, I came up with another solution which seems even more efficient
Turn 1) Calm (R's counter is 3)
Turn 2) Prepare (move one artifact to ranged row)
Turn 3) Theft + Vernossiel-> Theft stealing the ranged row artifact and one melee artifact - pissing of Redeyah and making her counter to 2
Turn 4) Calm (Redeyah's counter is now 3)
Turn 5) Prepare (move one of the three artifacts in melee to ranged)
Turn 6) Theft + Vernossiel-> Theft stealing the ranged row artifact and one melee artifact - pissing of Redeyah and making her counter to 2 again
Turn 7) Versatility into Theft and stealing the last artifact leaving Redeyah's counter to 1 one and getting the hell out of Redeyah's tent

Last edited:
So week has passed, time to announce the winner, which is @rrc. Congrats, both solutions were correct.
@EduFerraz, unfortunately you seem to have misread Distraction's ability. You can't switch places of Radeyah and an artifact you already seized, because at that point it's an allied artifact not enemy.

With that out of the way, let's go with another puzzle.
Once again, I'm offering a reward for the first person to post the correct walkthrough.
For more details read the rules.
1. Who is the organizer?
I am. CD PROJEKT RED is in no way involved in the creation of the puzzles nor providing the reward. The bundle will be bought with meteorite powder from my own resources.

2. Who can participate?
Any user of forums.cdprojektred.com

3. How to participate?
List in a correct way how provided cards and abilities need to be played in order to solve the puzzle.

4. What is the contest period?
Answers can be posted within 7 days from the moment of posting the task.

5. How will winners be chosen?
The first person to post a correct walkthrough of the puzzle will be the winner.
If nobody posts a correct answer within the contest period the reward is forfeited.

6. What is the prize?
A cosmetic GWENT bundle purchasable with Meteorite Powder, selected by the winner.

7. How to redeem the prize?
Winner will be selected within 14 days from the moment of posting the task.
Winner will be required to send me a PM with their GWENT username and the name of the bundle they like. They will have to accept my friend invite in order to receive the prize. If the winner will not do any of the above, the reward is forfeited.
Prize will be given within 7 days from the moment of accepting the invite.

Today's puzzle is

The Good Ladies​

StartingScreen.png

Your goal is to defeat the Ladies of the Wood​
opponentcards_board.png

while not letting these cute Nekkers die.​
playercards_board.png

To achieve that, you have these cards in your hand.​
playercards_hand.png

It's also good to keep your eyes on your graveyard​
playergraveyard.png

and opponent's graveyard as well.​
opponentgraveyard.png

And this is how the board looks at the start of your first turn.​
startingboard.png

A few notes to clarify some potential misconceptions:
- Brewess is boosted by 2 because she already consumed one Sabbath Volunteer at the end of AI's first turn (hence only 4 Sabbath Volunteers in graveyard, instead 5).
- Whispess can target herself if she's the lowest unit on her side.
- Rabid Nekkers' Deathblow works "once per Order". That means if you remove 2 units on a row with one Order, damage will increase only by 2.
- At some point you might think you need RNG to successfully progress further. That means you made a mistake somewhere along the way. The correct solution doesn't require any RNG.

Hope you'll enjoy, good luck!
Next puzzle will arrive on Tuesday, August 31st, around 4PM CEST.
Cheers

Delete

Congrats @rrc

Well, to try to not commit an error i look for all the board, the cards description and i thini your start board its wrong.

I mean, if the crones already have one turn, wich brewess consumed one card, than the counter of whispess its wrong, it shoud be 1, and, in the next turn, she will use the same card you used.

So thinking in that, i tried everything and its impossible to complete. If the whispess's counter its "right" (i mean, i need to think its 2 and not 1), than i can complete the chanlege, but i need some time to descrive everything.

BUUUT, i still think your start board its worng, and, in that case, i will not waste my time again

thinking in the start board with whispess's counter at 2.

I will put the board as it should be at the end of crones turn

Round 1
use feeding ground.

5 8 7

1 1 1

GY
2 2 2 2

2 2 2 2

Round 2
Use Rabid ability in front row. - feasting will be boost by 1 and damage by 2
Use feeding ground again

Whisperrs will use feeding ground too.

Board

5 8 7

1 2 1 (4 damage)

gy
2 2 2

2 2 2 2

round 3

use repast in roaming, she will boost rabid.
Use rabid ability in front row.... feasting will be boost by 1 and damage by 2

board
5 8 7

3 3 2 (6 damage)

gy

2 2
2 2 2

round 4
use rabid hability in front row - feasting will be boost by 1 and damage by 2
use repast in roaming, she will boost rabid

whisppes will use repast on herself.

board

7 8 7

5 4 3 (8 damage)

gy
none

2 2

round 5

use repasit in roaming she will boost rabid by 1

use rabid order and kill all the crones. Since weaves will be killed, she whont do damage. All the nekkers will be damaged by 3 points because crones's deathwish, but all of them will survive

Last edited:
i thini your start board its wrong.
Starting board is correct. Whispess' ability activates on turn start, thus her timer will go down on turn start. Since the cards appear on board after turn start, her countdown didn't go down in the first turn.
Brewess' ability activates on turn end, thus her ability already worked on the end of the first turn, because the cards appeared on board before the end of the turn.

Starting board is correct. Whispess' ability activates on turn start, thus her timer will go down on turn start. Since the cards appear on board after turn start, her countdown didn't go down in the first turn.
Brewess' ability activates on turn end, thus her ability already worked on the end of the first turn, because the cards appeared on board before the end of the turn.
OK, my answer is in The SPOILER in my Last post

Well, i read again and again and you are wrong.

I mean, you made The chalange and of course The rules is yours, but they are not adequate to gwent rules.

Every 2 turns, on turns starts play...

Her ability is activate at The turns start, but The countdown in gwent always happens in The turns end.

So when you describe Every 2 turns and already has passed 1 turn, her countdown should decrease.

But thats "ok", its good to clarify somethings to try to complete The chalenge

Last edited:
Top Bottom